American superiority/power

Whether you are new or just lurking, take a moment to introduce yourself or discuss something general.

Do you think America's status as a young country yet the most powerful nation in the world and the single superpower today can be credited to its high devotion to God?

Yes
50%
No
43%
Me not know
7%

Total votes: 14

Felgar
Esteemed Senior Member
Christian: No

Post by Felgar »

sandy_mcd wrote:In summary, I do not like the implications that the good are materially blessed on earth and those on earth who are unfortunate deserve their fate. This was never explicitly stated in the first article but it seems to me to be the underlying text.
I think we're coming at this from different angles and maybe we don't disagree to the level I initially thought we did.

I understand your aversion to the implication that the rich prosper because they serve the Lord and at the same time the poor deserve their suffering. I think this is one step removed from what I'm trying to estiablish. I think it's too specific. For instance, focussing on a specific individual opens many possibilities:

1) The Lord may bless a few of His servants with wealth because God knows they will use it wisely for His purpose. As Jesus taught, "to those who receive much, much will be expected." Clearly there are some who receive much mainly because they are willing to answer God's call.

2) Others may not be blessed materially, but in many other ways. Perhaps they are blessed with an inner peace and very loving family. I would count my grandparents in that category. The point here is that money is often not required for happiness, so to say that no poor are very blessed is not a valid generalization.

3) Many people acquire great wealth NOT in the service of God. In fact there is a passage in Psalms that recognizes how the immoral seem to prosper. Yet then it points out that in the end their ways will destroy them. (Both eternally and possibly here on Earth)

All of the above points are made only to show the nuance that is introduced if you are referring to such blessing on an individual level. Also I make them to ultimately say that I agree that the implication that good people are materially blessed is not true. Up to this point I hope you generally agree with me.

Now let me try to explain my theory about America and its prosperity. Hopefully you'll see a different flavor than the above individual considerations...

I believe that in the 17 and 1800's when people left Europe in search of a home where they could have religious freedom and worship God as they saw fit, they were generally speaking God-fearing people. (The Mennonites were among those who fled persecution in Europe) Soon after they formed a nation, and in the Nation's founding documents specifically recognize their submission to God and their creator ("One Nation under God"). Incidently every single State constitution also recognizes God. Those are facts which I hope you don't disupute.

Now in my opinion there are two possibilities:

1) God understood that generally speaking America would begin as a nation of people who sincerely seek His will. Therefore, the development of America was guided in such a way that Americans as a whole would enjoy safety, prosperity, and the means to control their own fate (i.e. Being a world superpower). I would liken this very much to the exact same blessings that God bestowed upon Isreal for their obedience.

2) By the simple virtue of the fact that a good many American's have followed God's commandments, they have enjoyed relatively 'good' lives through the natural effect of just obeying God. Most (all?) of God's commandments are for our own good - and I'm sure you agree that if no one sinned life would be terrific. It stands to reason that in general you will be MUCH better off in this life in all ways if you obey God. America's current position could be nothing more than the cumulative effect of a history where so many individuals chose to follow God and thus were saved from the inherently negative consequences of sin.

Does that explain better where I'm coming from?