inspired or dictated?

Discussions about the Bible, and any issues raised by Scripture.
1stjohn0666
Valued Member
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male

Re: inspired or dictated?

Post by 1stjohn0666 »

Let's do look at John 3:16 "For God so loved the world" This is one individual who is God. "that he (God) gave his (God) only begotten son" This other individual is the "son" and not God. This one verse can have an entire sermon just of itself.

The word worship in the Greek is Proskuneo which more literally translated is "to kiss the hand" The Hebrew word worship is Sachah and I am not very good with the Semitic languages of old.
Proskuneo, of angels, Rev 19:10; 22:18; of humans Matt 8:2; 18:26; 20:20; Acts 10:25; of false gods, Acts 7:3; Rev 13:8; 16:2; 19:20; 20:4
In my Greek Septuagint, both YHWH and the king are proskuneo (worshiped) 1 Chron 29:20. Abigail proskuneo (worships) David 1 Sam 25:23. Israel the nation is proskuneo (worshiped) Isaiah 45:14.
With our English language using etymology we can find where "worship" comes from and simply means to show honor and respect. With the cultural background of the biblical days it was common to "bow down" and still is today, to show that honor and respect. This act does not mean that an individual who is not God is God, just like Jesus who is the son of God.
Many bible translations have what we call "translator bias" which means the ideology of the translator is put "into" scripture to fit the translators theology. I mainly stay with the older scriptures.
There is a Greek word Latreuo which literally means "to serve" and is far from being proskuneo.
I am not breaking any biblical law if I give any proskuneo to Jesus, a king, or my wife y@};- I know who is God and who is not God.
John 4:24 "God is spirit and his worshipers must proskuneo (worship) Him in spirit and truth.
The words of Jesus and again I am not breaking any biblical law, rather this is a "do thing" John 14:14 "If you love me keep my commandments" If I love Jesus and keep his commandments (as best I can) this is "respect and honor" which is proskuneo.
Giving thanks is even a form of worship.
PaulSacramento
Board Moderator
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution

Post by PaulSacramento »

That is very "JW" of you too John, they have the same view,but they translate proskueno as "obseince" or something like that (to follow and obey).
The issue is that, as a translator will tell you, the context of the writer is what dicates how the term/word is translated.
In short, If John uses proskueno as worship when applied to God and then uses the same term for Jesus, to translate it any other way is incorrect because He ( the writer) has already established HOW it must be used.
Since other words ARE available for him ( the writer) to use, if he uses proskuneo to state worship, then that is what it is.
You can't go and decide for yourself that he meant "to give homeage" in one case ( when other words could be used for that) and worship in another, that is what is called faulty translation or at least bias translating because you are applying YOUR theology on the text.
Just like JW's do.
1stjohn0666
Valued Member

Post by 1stjohn0666 »

PaulSacramento wrote:That is very "JW" of you too John, they have the same view,but they translate proskueno as "obseince" or something like that (to follow and obey).
The issue is that, as a translator will tell you, the context of the writer is what dicates how the term/word is translated.
In short, If John uses proskueno as worship when applied to God and then uses the same term for Jesus, to translate it any other way is incorrect because He ( the writer) has already established HOW it must be used.
Since other words ARE available for him ( the writer) to use, if he uses proskuneo to state worship, then that is what it is.
You can't go and decide for yourself that he meant "to give homeage" in one case ( when other words could be used for that) and worship in another, that is what is called faulty translation or at least bias translating because you are applying YOUR theology on the text.
Just like JW's do.
The point I am making is just because a person is "worshiped" does not mean that the person is God. We can worship God, Jesus, and other high ranking individuals. But it is God who gets the superior prayer/worship. Jesus prayed/worshiped his God as we also should. Mark 12:29 Jesus did not correct the Jewish scribe on this. The Jews were strictly unitary monotheistic believers not trinitarians, and Jesus agreed with the Jew and commended him.
B. W.
Ultimate Member

Post by B. W. »

1stjohn0666 wrote:
PaulSacramento wrote:That is very "JW" of you too John, they have the same view,but they translate proskueno as "obseince" or something like that (to follow and obey).
Just like JW's do.
The point I am making is just because a person is "worshiped" does not mean that the person is God. We can worship God, Jesus, and other high ranking individuals. But it is God who gets the superior prayer/worship. Jesus prayed/worshiped his God as we also should. Mark 12:29 Jesus did not correct the Jewish scribe on this. The Jews were strictly unitary monotheistic believers not trinitarians, and Jesus agreed with the Jew and commended him.
Some serious superior worship going on...

"Then I looked, and I heard around the throne and the living creatures and the elders the voice of many angels, numbering myriads of myriads and thousands of thousands, 12 saying with a loud voice, "Worthy is the Lamb who was slain, to receive power and wealth and wisdom and might and honor and glory and blessing!" 13 And I heard every creature in heaven and on earth and under the earth and in the sea, and all that is in them, saying, "To him who sits on the throne and to the Lamb be blessing and honor and glory and might forever and ever!" 14 And the four living creatures said, "Amen!" and the elders fell down and worshiped." Rev 5:11-14, from the ESV

...in heaven no less
-
-
-
Science is man's invention - creation is God's
(by B. W. Melvin)

Old Polish Proverb:
Not my Circus....not my monkeys