Manna

Discussions about the Bible, and any issues raised by Scripture.
stuartcr
Valued Member
Christian: No
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Undecided

Re: Manna

Post by stuartcr »

Storyteller wrote:
stuartcr wrote:
Storyteller wrote:Not sure if this will help but wikipedia has a page on it, I would copy the link for you but cant do it on kindle.
Thanks, the article had some interesting theories.

Maybe you can help with another question. I've asked another on this thread a number of times, but never got an answer. Could you explain what is meant by a commitment to faith?
Well, I see it as being firm in what you believe, kinda like what my siggy says... faith is a knowledge deep within the heart, beyond the reach of proof. Faith is a feeling, a conviction. If you have total faith you have to be commited to it, otherwise it's not faith.
Does that help?
Yes some. I've never thought of it, to me, that would just be the norm. Thanks
stuartcr
Valued Member

Post by stuartcr »

1over137 wrote:I mean, if I understood you correctly, you think, it is not us who chooses to lie.
Let me ask you: why do you think that?
We don't really choose anything, it's just the way it is. In order for everything to happen as God plans, we do what we do.
At least that's the way it appears to me.
Storyteller
Ultimate Member
Sex: Female

Post by Storyteller »

stuartcr wrote:
Storyteller wrote:
stuartcr wrote:
Storyteller wrote:Not sure if this will help but wikipedia has a page on it, I would copy the link for you but cant do it on kindle.

Maybe you can help with another question. I've asked another on this thread a number of times, but never got an answer. Could you explain what is meant by a commitment to faith?
Well, I see it as being firm in what you believe, kinda like what my siggy says... faith is a knowledge deep within the heart, beyond the reach of proof. Faith is a feeling, a conviction. If you have total faith you have to be commited to it, otherwise it's not faith.
Does that help?
Glad to be of help Sir :D

Can I ask you a question? (Feel free to tell me to mind my own business if I am being too nosy!)

I`m pretty sure I read on here that you believe in God yet your profile says you`re not a Christian. Are you just not convinced with Christianity but you do believe in a God, a Creator? My reasoning for asking is because that`s where I was a while ago, totally convinced of God but unsure of Christianity.

Do you believe that God controlos everything, even our actions? That nothing we do is down to free will, we are just responding to how we are all "programmed"?
Faith is a knowledge within the heart, beyond the reach of proof - Kahlil Gibran
1over137
Technical Admin
Christian: Yes

Post by 1over137 »

stuartcr wrote:
1over137 wrote:I mean, if I understood you correctly, you think, it is not us who chooses to lie.
We don't really choose anything, it's just the way it is. In order for everything to happen as God plans, we do what we do.
And what all God plans? Does he also plan what color of socks you pick to wear?

And I disagree with you. He does not chooses for us to lie. He also did not choose for Adam and Eve to disobey him.
EssentialSacrifice
Advanced Senior Member

Post by EssentialSacrifice »

stuartcr wrote:
I believe that whoever created everything, is capable of anything.
if this is true, why can't it be God's plans are letting us do as we will ? just change your sentence around a bit...

we do what we do ... In order for everything to happen as God plans ... it's just the way it is.

otherwise it feels a lot like :

Trust the past to God’s mercy, the present to God’s love, and the future to God’s providence. -St Augustine
stuartcr
Valued Member

Post by stuartcr »

Storyteller wrote:
stuartcr wrote:
Storyteller wrote:
stuartcr wrote:

Does that help?
Glad to be of help Sir :D

Can I ask you a question? (Feel free to tell me to mind my own business if I am being too nosy!)

I`m pretty sure I read on here that you believe in God yet your profile says you`re not a Christian. Are you just not convinced with Christianity but you do believe in a God, a Creator? My reasoning for asking is because that`s where I was a while ago, totally convinced of God but unsure of Christianity.

Do you believe that God controlos everything, even our actions? That nothing we do is down to free will, we are just responding to how we are all "programmed"?
For me, a belief in God is sufficient.

I believe we each have our destinies. We fulfill those destinies in order for God's plan for each us to be achieved. As far as God controlling us, I think it's more like directing than control, although, in the end, I believe everything happens as God knows it will.
stuartcr
Valued Member

Post by stuartcr »

1over137 wrote:
stuartcr wrote:
And what all God plans? Does he also plan what color of socks you pick to wear?

And I disagree with you. He does not chooses for us to lie. He also did not choose for Adam and Eve to disobey him.
I cannot tell you God's plans, as I do not know them.
Storyteller
Ultimate Member

Post by Storyteller »

For me, a belief in God is sufficient.

I believe we each have our destinies. We fulfill those destinies in order for God's plan for each us to be achieved. As far as God controlling us, I think it's more like directing than control, although, in the end, I believe everything happens as God knows it will.
Christ is also God, do you believe in Him?

Why is belief in God enough? The devil believes in God.
Faith is a knowledge within the heart, beyond the reach of proof - Kahlil Gibran
stuartcr
Valued Member

Post by stuartcr »

Storyteller wrote:For me, a belief in God is sufficient.

Christ is also God, do you believe in Him?

Why is belief in God enough? The devil believes in God.
If Christ is God also, then I guess I believe in Him by proxy.

I have no idea why belief in God is enough for me, it just is. I don't believe in the devil, but if he exists and believes in God, ok.
EssentialSacrifice
Advanced Senior Member

I believe we each have our destinies.

What if, at every moment, one is the sum of what one has been, and yet at the same time constantly creating who one is to be (destiny)? The pattern of everything one has done, experienced, is part of who one is. What if there is a greater awareness in one, ( the soul,the spirit ? ) that can be called the divine, the true self, even can be called God? What if in that awareness, that divine presence, there's always choice, always the possibility of creating anew, creating yourself in the image of God as He wants, Ephesians 5:1-2 and so, created us, in His image ? Genesis 1:27

We God fulfills those our destinies in order for God's plan for each us to be achieved. ... Correct ?

As far as God controlling us, I think it's more like directing than control, ... what is the difference, especially to the puppet ?

although, in the end, I believe everything happens as God knows it will.... agreed, although this is true whether you believe as you do or as I do.
Trust the past to God’s mercy, the present to God’s love, and the future to God’s providence. -St Augustine
stuartcr
Valued Member

Post by stuartcr »

EssentialSacrifice wrote:I believe we each have our destinies.

What if, at every moment, one is the sum of what one has been, and yet at the same time constantly creating who one is to be (destiny)? The pattern of everything one has done, experienced, is part of who one is. What if there is a greater awareness in one, ( the soul,the spirit ? ) that can be called the divine, the true self, even can be called God? What if in that awareness, that divine presence, there's always choice, always the possibility of creating anew, creating yourself in the image of God as He wants, Ephesians 5:1-2 and so, created us, in His image ? Genesis 1:27

We God fulfills those our destinies in order for God's plan for each us to be achieved. ... Correct ?

As far as God controlling us, I think it's more like directing than control, ... what is the difference, especially to the puppet ?

although, in the end, I believe everything happens as God knows it will.... agreed, although this is true whether you believe as you do or as I do.
Sure, God fulfills our destinies. How else could we do it.

What does it matter as long as God is doing it...controlling or directing. I certainly don't mind doing as God wantsw me to.

Of course, that's why I said it.
Storyteller
Ultimate Member

Post by Storyteller »

What if God wants you to seek Him out? To know Him? To come to Christ?

I'm not sure if you can believe in Christ by proxy.

As for God fulfilling our destinies, controlling or directing, what does it matter. It matters because He longs for all of us to come to Him, freely, independently and willingly.
stuartcr
Valued Member

Post by stuartcr »

Storyteller wrote:What if God wants you to seek Him out? To know Him? To come to Christ?

I'm not sure if you can believe in Christ by proxy.

As for God fulfilling our destinies, controlling or directing, what does it matter. It matters because He longs for all of us to come to Him, freely, independently and willingly.
I'm sure God will let me know.

I have no idea if one can believe in Christby proxy.
Storyteller
Ultimate Member

Post by Storyteller »

Do you pray?
EssentialSacrifice
Advanced Senior Member

Sure, God fulfills our destinies. How else could we do it.

your words ...

We fulfill those destinies, in order for God's plan for each us to be achieved.

What does it matter as long as God is doing it...controlling or directing. I certainly don't mind doing as God wantsw me to.

I certainly don't mind doing as God wants as well, in fact, i try to live as God has directed ... love Him above all else, my fellow man as myself, ... all the corporal acts of mercy I can ... and that's why it matters. I will to be the person God wants/directs me to be. I want His direction to be like Him. I love the direction He has taken me in and continues to travel with me. And I do it all out of love of Him and desire for my God.

Your version of: I think God controls everything, even what we believe are our personal choices

It strips the Mercy of God to shreds as it never gets a chance to be merciful and does not see the need for the individual's sins to be either forgiven or atoned for... no salvation is necessary no sacrifice required no reason for the Son of God to ever exist.

Of course, that's why I said it. ... very wise ... y:-?