Top Ten Reasons I'm An Atheist

Healthy skepticism of ALL worldviews is good. Skeptical of non-belief like found in Atheism? Post your challenging questions. Responses are encouraged.
PaulSacramento
Board Moderator
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution

Re: Top Ten Reasons I'm An Atheist

Post by PaulSacramento »

RickD wrote: Thu Feb 21, 2019 6:29 am
PaulSacramento wrote: Thu Feb 21, 2019 5:40 am
Kenny wrote: Wed Feb 20, 2019 6:17 pm
PaulSacramento wrote: Wed Feb 20, 2019 9:42 amIf the universe is a closed system, how did it expand ??
A closed system is not defined as something restricted from expansion; it’s defined as a system that has nothing outside it to act upon it.
PaulSacramento wrote: ↑Tue Feb 19, 2019 1:52 pm
Do you agree that something cause things that do not exist to come into being?
I don’t know; can you give an example of this happening outside of your theistic beliefs?
PaulSacramento wrote: Wed Feb 20, 2019 9:42 amLife.
Life does NOT exist until something causes it to come into being, yes?
I don’t know if I can agree with that. Life is when part of a man and part of a woman come together and evolve into another man or woman. So though there was not a time when the parts were not alive, I guess there is a point when the parts become a person/being.
Perhaps I’ve misunderstood you. When you said acting outside of themselves, I thought you meant something outside the material world. If you meant “X” acting upon “Y” with them both being material; that would make sense to me.
PaulSacramento wrote: Wed Feb 20, 2019 9:42 am Is energy material ?
No. Energy is not matter, though it is a part of the material world.
If the universe is a closed system, what caused the expansion? why did it expand?
Please define "material world".
Isn't the (entire) universe an isolated system? Since the (entire) universe is literally everything that exists, there is nothing "outside" the universe.
Isolated, yes ( probably) but not closed.

So, here is the thing, we tend to use the term universe to mean everything BUT if the universe had a beginning, an expansion, from a quantum singularity, what was "around" that singularity ?
The universe is still expanding, but "into" what" or "where"? and where is the energy coming from to continue the CONSTANT and CONTINUOUS ( albeit quicker) rate of expansion ?
If the energy that exists has always existed and will always exist and is/was/will be always the same, why and HOW the expansion?
Morny
Valued Member
Christian: No

Post by Morny »

Philip wrote: But as for designing a study, the huge problems would be, as we can't clearly know in what ways God has answered a prayer, or partially answered it, or WHEN (if at all, as NO answer can still be an answer, yet not what we might expect or want) - because, again, Scripture reveals God doesn't work like a slot machine! Some prayers are answered over a considerable length of time - or differently than we might specifically desire - remember, it's GOD'S response, in HIS way, timing, and will, etc. that dictates the manner in which a specific prayer is answered.
You've excellently described the idea.

Now put yourself in my shoes to ask you, "What evidence distinguishes God answering your prayers from no one answering your prayers?"

Philip wrote: So the scientific method is almost impossible to apply to it.
Another good point. But remember that science can, and often does, bend over backwards to provide convincing evidence for the most miniscule of effects. For decades scientists searched in vain for gravity waves. Now we can not only detect on the other "side" of the universe gravity waves from collapsing pairs of neutron stars and black holes, but also accurately determine their mass and their velocity moving away from us!

So ... if you have _any_ testable evidence for the efficacy of prayer, science has a good chance to find it.
Kenny
Ultimate Member
Creation Position: I don't believe in creation

Post by Kenny »

PaulSacramento wrote: Thu Feb 21, 2019 10:17 am So, here is the thing, we tend to use the term universe to mean everything BUT if the universe had a beginning, an expansion, from a quantum singularity, what was "around" that singularity ?
The Big Bang as the origin of the universe:
One of the common misconceptions about the Big Bang model is the belief that it was the origin of the universe. However, the Big Bang model does not comment about how the universe came into being. Current conception of the Big Bang model assumes the existence of energy, time, and space, and does not comment about their origin or the cause of the dense and high temperature initial state of the universe.[127]

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Big_Bang
RickD wrote
"What can be asserted without evidence can be dismissed without evidence".
Philip
Site Owner
Creation Position: Day-Age

Post by Philip »

Morny wrote: Thu Feb 21, 2019 7:20 pm
Philip wrote: But as for designing a study, the huge problems would be, as we can't clearly know in what ways God has answered a prayer, or partially answered it, or WHEN (if at all, as NO answer can still be an answer, yet not what we might expect or want) - because, again, Scripture reveals God doesn't work like a slot machine! Some prayers are answered over a considerable length of time - or differently than we might specifically desire - remember, it's GOD'S response, in HIS way, timing, and will, etc. that dictates the manner in which a specific prayer is answered.
You've excellently described the idea.

Now put yourself in my shoes to ask you, "What evidence distinguishes God answering your prayers from no one answering your prayers?"
All I can tell you is that I personally know God has answered important prayers of mine. But something tells me that no matter what one shares with you on this, you'll not accept it, or will dismiss it. But the many known and fulfilled prophecies of Scripture - those can be traced for accuracy.
Kenny
Ultimate Member

Post by Kenny »

PaulSacramento wrote: Wed Feb 20, 2019 9:42 amIf the universe is a closed system, how did it expand ??
A closed system is not defined as something restricted from expansion; it’s defined as a system that has nothing outside it to act upon it.
I don’t know; can you give an example of this happening outside of your theistic beliefs?
I don’t know if I can agree with that. Life is when part of a man and part of a woman come together and evolve into another man or woman. So though there was not a time when the parts were not alive, I guess there is a point when the parts become a person/being.
Perhaps I’ve misunderstood you. When you said acting outside of themselves, I thought you meant something outside the material world. If you meant “X” acting upon “Y” with them both being material; that would make sense to me.
PaulSacramento wrote: Thu Feb 21, 2019 5:40 amIf the universe is a closed system, what caused the expansion? why did it expand?
Nobody knows
PaulSacramento wrote: Thu Feb 21, 2019 5:40 amPlease define "material world".
All that is known to exist.
RickD wrote
PaulSacramento
Board Moderator

Post by PaulSacramento »

Kenny wrote: Thu Feb 21, 2019 7:41 pm
PaulSacramento wrote: Thu Feb 21, 2019 10:17 am So, here is the thing, we tend to use the term universe to mean everything BUT if the universe had a beginning, an expansion, from a quantum singularity, what was "around" that singularity ?
One of the common misconceptions about the Big Bang model is the belief that it was the origin of the universe. However, the Big Bang model does not comment about how the universe came into being. Current conception of the Big Bang model assumes the existence of energy, time, and space, and does not comment about their origin or the cause of the dense and high temperature initial state of the universe.[127]

As has been stated here quite often, the majority see the Big Bang as the beginning of the expansion of the universe as we know it.
Now, the hypothesis that there was a quantum singularity from which the expansion started from, is just that, a hypothesis because there is no evidence, much less proof, that there was such a thing. But that is PROBABLY what happened.
PaulSacramento
Board Moderator

Post by PaulSacramento »

Kenny wrote: Thu Feb 21, 2019 9:44 pm
PaulSacramento wrote: Thu Feb 21, 2019 5:40 amIf the universe is a closed system, what caused the expansion? why did it expand?
Nobody knows
You consciousness and intelligence are material ?
Please explain to me their material properties.
Kenny
Ultimate Member

Post by Kenny »

PaulSacramento wrote: Fri Feb 22, 2019 5:42 am

As has been stated here quite often, the majority see the Big Bang as the beginning of the expansion of the universe as we know it.
Now, the hypothesis that there was a quantum singularity from which the expansion started from, is just that, a hypothesis because there is no evidence, much less proof, that there was such a thing. But that is PROBABLY what happened.
Okay; so when you suggested the Universe had a beginning, you meant the Universe as we know it had a beginning. Is that correct?
RickD wrote
Kenny
Ultimate Member

Post by Kenny »

Nobody knows
No, my thoughts and ability to think are functions of my brain; a part of me that is material.
RickD wrote
Morny
Valued Member

Post by Morny »

Philip wrote: All I can tell you is that I personally know God has answered important prayers of mine.
I am happy for the comforting reassurance that must give you.
Philip wrote: But something tells me that no matter what one shares with you on this, you'll not accept it, or will dismiss it.
Harsh and inaccurate.

I believe in evidence backed up by reasoned and independent research. With such evidence, I'll accept anything, regardless of how incredible or unpopular. If we are both listening to the personal revelations of a Scientologist about thetans, wouldn't we both have concerns that those revelations by themselves carry very little weight?

I understand the compelling nature of belief. I want to believe my gut feeling that I'm as good looking as Chris Hemsworth, but I have to acknowledge the overwhelming evidence to the contrary.
PaulSacramento
Board Moderator

Post by PaulSacramento »

Kenny wrote: Fri Feb 22, 2019 5:18 pm

Okay; so when you suggested the Universe had a beginning, you meant the Universe as we know it had a beginning. Is that correct?
Of course.
PaulSacramento
Board Moderator

Post by PaulSacramento »

Kenny wrote: Fri Feb 22, 2019 5:19 pm
Nobody knows
No, my thoughts and ability to think are functions of my brain; a part of me that is material.
That is not what I asked you.
Please explain tome the material properties of your consciousness and intelligence?
Kenny
Ultimate Member

Post by Kenny »

PaulSacramento wrote: Mon Feb 25, 2019 1:53 am
Kenny wrote: Fri Feb 22, 2019 5:19 pm

Nobody knows
That is not what I asked you.
Please explain tome the material properties of your consciousness and intelligence?
Okay I think I see where you’re getting at. Back when I said the material world consists of all that is known to exist, I wasn’t talking about thoughts, imagination, or functions of things that are real. To answer your question, what we call intelligence, and consciousness is not a part of the material world.
RickD wrote
Byblos
Old School

Post by Byblos »

Kenny wrote: Mon Feb 25, 2019 12:32 pm... what we call intelligence, and consciousness is not a part of the material world.
:popcorn:
Let us proclaim the mystery of our faith: Christ has died, Christ is risen, Christ will come again.

Lord I am not worthy that you should enter under my roof, but only say the word and my soul shall be healed.
Byblos
Old School

Post by Byblos »

Morny wrote: Wed Feb 20, 2019 9:23 am
Byblos wrote: In fact, I would venture an educated guess that in most cases, the exact opposite is claimed, i.e. the law of parsimony (Occam's razor) where simpler solutions are more likely to be correct even for complex problems.
Not sure how relevant parsimony or Occam's Razor are here. The main issue is how well the evidence supports the explanation, not how simple the explanation is.
If that's the main issue then how exactly does that translate to the claim that 1) if a claim is extraordinary (whatever that means and however arbitrary the definition), it necessarily follows that 2) the evidence must also be extraordinary (whatever that means and however arbitrary the definition)?

Here's a hint, it doesn't and it doesn't.
Morny wrote: Wed Feb 20, 2019 9:23 am On the claim that "extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence" is ordinary:
Byblos wrote: Says who? Just because it suits you to proclaim it ordinary [...]?

No. Because the claim itself is simply a clever phrasing for an observation that people have understood for thousands of years.
Tell me that the sky is blue because air scatters red (an ordinary claim), and I have no immediate reason to doubt you. Tell me that a population of Bigfoot traipses around the Oregon wilderness (an extraordinary claim), and I have justifiable doubt. My reasoning in both cases seems obvious and ordinary.
Again says who? You? My experience has been the exact opposite, no matter how complex the problem is, more often than not the explanation is not complex at all, it is usually the simplest and most intuitive.
Morny wrote: Wed Feb 20, 2019 9:23 am
Byblos wrote: But for some reason, when it comes to the subject of theism in general and God in particular, all of a sudden parsimony be damned, it's extraordinary evidence you seek.
You may be misinterpreting my point. The mere claim of God's existence (or many aspects of theism) is not extraordinary, because the claim is untestable. So science and I don't care.
You don't live by your own rules, do you? Yet another extraordinary claim dismissed with the waive of a hand. It's not that God's existence is scientifically untestable, as if somehow that's a deficiency on the part of the argument. It's that science, by its very nature and its very claims, is the wrong tool to use for testing God's existence. It is the same as claiming gravity is untestable using the laws of biology. It is a meaningless, non sequitur claim.
Morny wrote: Wed Feb 20, 2019 9:23 am To rephrase what I said previously, my problem is with claims of testable supernatural influence on the natural world.
And that claim is a small subset of the larger claim that science cannot test the immaterial, therefore the immaterial can be dismissed. Once again, science by its very definition cannot test the immaterial precisely because it cannot, as a tool. You want to test the immaterial then you have to take a step (or several) back into metaphysics. That's where rationality and the rules of logic make the immaterial not only testable but provable.

But then again, from reading your posts, you wouldn't be interested in any of that boring stuff.
Let us proclaim the mystery of our faith: Christ has died, Christ is risen, Christ will come again.

Lord I am not worthy that you should enter under my roof, but only say the word and my soul shall be healed.