Eternal Security...(Revised May 2015)

General discussions about Christianity including salvation, heaven and hell, Christian history and so on.
Jac3510
Ultimate Member
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Young-Earth Creationist

Re: Eternal Security...

Post by Jac3510 »

No, their fruit is iniquity because it is bad. "Bad fruit" is a metaphor for what they are producing. "Iniquity" is a judgment of the nature of what they produce--what they have produced is bad. If what they had produced was "good fruit" (the metaphor again) it would not be called iniquity but something else entirely.

This is a good exercise for you. You are so used to thinking about Scripture through the lens of your theology that you can't see the words in front of you.

Look at a prophet. What does a prophet produce? Let me give you some other examples:

What does a carpenter produce? Crafts of various kinds, e.g., wheels and houses.
What does a doctor produce? Counsel for health, e.g., prescriptions for medication
What does a lawyer produce? Legal counsel and related documents
What does a farmer produce? Food
What does a scholar produce? Research and knowledge

Now, any of those productions can be good or bad. A well made craft is mark of a good carpenter. A poorly made craft of a poor carpenter. Good medicine is the mark of a good doctor. Medical malpractice is the mark of a bad doctor. Good legal advice is the mark of a good lawyer. Legal malpractice is the mark of a bad lawyer. Good, edible food is the mark of a good farmer. No food or rotten food is the mark of a bad farmer. Good, solid research is the mark of a good scholar. Poor, fallacious research is the mark of a bad scholar. So you see that you know the tree by its fruit.

Again, I ask: what is the fruit of a prophet. You already hinted at it in an answer you gave above. Ask yourself what a prophet does. Stop over-thinking things and just take the words at face value.
Proinsias wrote:I don't think you are hearing me. Preference for ice cream is a moral issue
And that, brothers and sisters, is the kind of foolishness you get people who insist on denying biblical theism. A good illustration of any as the length people will go to avoid acknowledging basic truths.
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member
Creation Position: Day-Age

Post by RickD »

jpbg33 wrote:I do not know what you think it is if you do not think it is there iniquities

Jesus said they were to be cast in fire because of the bad fruit and then explaining it He said there going to hell because of there iniquities

So I guess the bad fruit is there iniquities
Lemme give you a hint. The word begins with a d, and ends with octrine.

Does that help?
John 5:24
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

“A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.”
-Edward R Murrow

St. Richard the Sarcastic--The Patron Saint of Irony
jpbg33

Post by jpbg33 »

You are right there teaching is there bad fruit but what we do as Christians shows other how Christians live. Not only are preacher's soppiest to proclaim the gospel but we all are suppose to be proclaiming it and one way we do that is by the evidence of our actions. The bible says Matthew 5:16 Let your light so shine before men, that they may see your good works, and glorify your Father which is in heaven.

Rom_6:21 What fruit had ye then in those things whereof ye are now ashamed? for the end of those things is death.
Rom_6:22 But now being made free from sin, and become servants to God, ye have your fruit unto holiness, and the end everlasting life.

our fruit is not only what we preach behind a pulpit but the way we live our lives.
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by RickD »

Jac, I love you. If you continue with this, you have more patience than I could ever have. God bless you!
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

-Edward R Murrow

Jac3510
Ultimate Member

Post by Jac3510 »

jpbg33 wrote:You are right there teaching is there bad fruit but what we do as Christians shows other how Christians live. Not only are preacher's soppiest to proclaim the gospel but we all are suppose to be proclaiming it and one way we do that is by the evidence of our actions. The bible says Matthew 5:16 Let your light so shine before men, that they may see your good works, and glorify your Father which is in heaven.

Rom_6:21 What fruit had ye then in those things whereof ye are now ashamed? for the end of those things is death.
Rom_6:22 But now being made free from sin, and become servants to God, ye have your fruit unto holiness, and the end everlasting life.

our fruit is not only what we preach behind a pulpit but the way we live our lives.
It might be that our fruit is how we live. But in Matt 7, it is not. This is your basic problem. You string passages together out of context. If you want to jump to ANOTHER passage YET AGAIN, then fine, but don't run back to trees "burning" to imply people are going to hell.

Now, back to Matt 7. If the fruit of a prophet is his doctrine, then bad fruit is his bad doctrine. That's not anything new, by the way. Jesus is just getting at what Moses already said in Deut 13:1-3. Look at that passage before we look at the rest of Matt 7:
  • If a prophet, or one who foretells by dreams, appears among you and announces to you a sign or wonder, and if the sign or wonder spoken of takes place, and the prophet says, “Let us follow other gods” (gods you have not known) “and let us worship them,” you must not listen to the words of that prophet or dreamer. The Lord your God is testing you to find out whether you love him with all your heart and with all your soul.
Now this is REALLY important, because Jesus is directly contradicting your claim above. You keep talking about people's behavior as being a part of the fruit. But look at the passage again. The DOCTRINE THEY PREACH is the fruit. And why is that important. Because you will know them by their FRUIT--by their DOCTRINE. That's important because the false prophets--the wolves--come in sheep's clothing.

In other words, the false prophets look like the rest of the sheep. What does it mean that they look like the sheep? Obviously it isn't referring to their physical appearance. It isn't referring to their doctrine--what they teach--because that's how you find out that they are really false prophets. So tell me, what is the sheep's clothing? How do they look like the sheep?

(Hint: notice that this is in Matthew where Jesus is constantly blasting the Pharisees -- what made them look like real sheep when they were really just wolves?)
Last edited by Jac3510 on Sat Feb 21, 2015 3:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Proinsias wrote:I don't think you are hearing me. Preference for ice cream is a moral issue
And that, brothers and sisters, is the kind of foolishness you get people who insist on denying biblical theism. A good illustration of any as the length people will go to avoid acknowledging basic truths.
Jac3510
Ultimate Member

Post by Jac3510 »

RickD wrote:Jac, I love you. If you continue with this, you have more patience than I could ever have. God bless you!
I'm under the delusion that there are people who read some of these exchanges, so this strikes me as a good case study in how and how not to study Scripture. I'm going through all this for other readers, not for jpbg. The chances of him realizing he is one of the false prophets is rather slim. But he can teach others here a lot in terms of how not to study Scripture, and I'm hoping to at least demonstrate that. *shrug*

But who knows, maybe Prov 26:5 applies here!
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by RickD »

Jac wrote:
In other words, the false prophets look like the rest of the sheep. What does it mean that they look like the sheep? Obviously it isn't referring to their physical appearance. It isn't referring to their doctrine--what they teach--because that's how you find out that they are really false prophets. So tell me, what is the sheep's clothing? How do they look like the sheep?

(Hint: notice that this is in Matthew where Jesus is constantly blasting the Pharisees -- what made them look like real sheep when they were really just wolves?)
Jac,

That makes perfect sense when you explain it that way. The pharisees were known for their strict avoidance of outward sin. In other words, on the outside, they appeared righteous.

Or they appeared to show good "fruit", as Jpbg is talking about. So to people like jpbg who judge by the outward appearance, the Pharisees appear to be sheep.

-Edward R Murrow

Audie
Ultimate Member
Christian: No
Sex: Female
Creation Position: I don't believe in creation

Post by Audie »

Jac3510 wrote:
RickD wrote:Jac, I love you. If you continue with this, you have more patience than I could ever have. God bless you!
I'm under the delusion that there are people who read some of these exchanges, so this strikes me as a good case study in how and how not to study Scripture. I'm going through all this for other readers, not for jpbg. The chances of him realizing he is one of the false prophets is rather slim. But he can teach others here a lot in terms of how not to study Scripture, and I'm hoping to at least demonstrate that. *shrug*

If its equivalent to his study of biology / earth history, it pretty bad.
Storyteller
Ultimate Member
Christian: No
Creation Position: Undecided

Post by Storyteller »

Jac3510 wrote:

I do, and it is.
Faith is a knowledge within the heart, beyond the reach of proof - Kahlil Gibran
1over137
Technical Admin
Creation Position: Undecided

Post by 1over137 »

You are doing a good job here, Jac.
Thank you and God bless.
But examine everything carefully; hold fast to that which is good.
-- 1 Thessalonians 5:21

For I am confident of this very thing, that He who began a good work in you will perfect it until the day of Christ Jesus.
-- Philippians 1:6

#foreverinmyheart
UsagiTsukino
Valued Member
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution

Post by UsagiTsukino »

Question what of these who are christian and change religions? Are they lost forever?
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by RickD »

UsagiTsukino wrote:Question what of these who are christian and change religions? Are they lost forever?
How are you defining "christian" in this scenario?

-Edward R Murrow

UsagiTsukino
Valued Member

Post by UsagiTsukino »

One who had accepted Jesus Christ already but than steps back a bit
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by RickD »

Usagi,

First off, I'm not sure why one who has trusted in Christ, would want to believe in another religion that cannot save. But nonetheless, If a believer cannot lose salvation, then your example would be included too.

So, no. A believer cannot lose eternal life. Period. Otherwise it wouldn't be eternal life.

-Edward R Murrow

UsagiTsukino
Valued Member

Post by UsagiTsukino »

Even if they switch religions? Like from Christianity to some pagan religion or now atheist