A loving God torments majority of children forever

Are you a sincere seeker who has questions about Christianity, or a Christian with doubts about your faith? Post them here to receive a thoughtful response.
Emuse
Acquainted Member

Hi Everyone

Post by Emuse »

Hi All

My name is James and I am new to the board. I have been reading through this thread and found it very interesting. :)

As an atheist, I thought that I would register and offer my own responses so that you can have a direct insight into what an atheist really thinks. Even if we "agree to disagree" it may help you to develop your own arguments and ideas - and I'm sure that I will learn from the process.

Just one thing - I am obviously hopelessley outnumbered here - so I may need time and patience in order to reply.
Emuse
Acquainted Member

Post by Emuse »

Hi Blacknad

Good questions - and the type that always attract my attention :)
1. God foreknew how many people would reject Him.
This raises the question of whether God should be thought to have perfect foreknowledge. It could be argued that he hasn't - but where would that leave prophecy? How was Jesus able to perfectly predict Peter's denial?
2. Jesus said the road to heaven is narrow and few would find it.
Indeed he did.
3. The majority of people on earth and through history have not been Christians.
No real need to comment on that. Self evidently true.
4. The majority of people will spend an eternal existence in Hell suffering unimaginable torment 'weeping and gnashing of teeth'.
If ....

1. It is a requirement to be a Christian to avoid hell and ....
2. Hell goes on forever, and ...
3. The vast majority of people haven't been Christians ...

... then yes.

There are some "ifs" in there though.
5. God still chose to go ahead with creation knowing he would consign billions of souls to endless torment - souls that did not even ask to be created.
Again, this would appear to be the reasonable conclusion.
6. If I was God, I would not have gone ahead with creation when the cost was so high and would entail so much suffering.
I can fully emphathise with that point of view.
7. How can God be said to be good or to have any regard for those he has created, never mind actually love them when he will consign most of his children to Hell.
That is an excellent ... and a very legitimate question.

I also argue the following way ... :)

Christians believe that one day they will be raised with Christ and dwell with him in heaven forever. They generally believe that they will have perfect freedom but will be incapable of sin. Please correct me if I am wrong.

By believing this, Christians obviously have confidence that God can create a reality in which people are perfectly free yet never sin. If this is the case, then this hope unravels the free will defence for God allowing evil. The latter often asserts that God had no choice but to allow evil if people were to have free will. But the hope of heaven destroys this argument because the Christian believes that God will create a reality in which people are free yet incapable of sin. The two seem incompatible.

The other defence I have seen is the "unknown reason" defence. That being - just because I don't know of a reason why God would allow evil, doesn't mean that there isn't one. Allow me to give a definition for evil (please feel free to disagree) ...

Any unjustifiable act that causes pain or suffering to another person.

In answer to this I need to present an assumption that might be wrong. The assumption is - everything that God does (or allows) is good because it achieves something ultimately good. God can justify everything that he allows and therefore is incapable of evil when he allows suffering.

There are some problems with this. Firstly, it means that evil doesn't exist in any absolute sense. Our sense of evil is simply established upon our limited perception. All "apparent evil" can be defended by appealing to God's "unknown reason" and therfore all "apparent evil" ceases to become evil in any absolute sense.

So how does God have a knowledge of good and evil if evil doesn't exist in any absolute sense? How can the Bible claim that we have a knowledge of good and evil if evil isn't real?

If evil is something we think of based on limited perception then evil (and good) both become relativistic. Most Christians reject relativisitc morality.

I hope I am making myself clear here. I think that is enough for now :)
Emuse
Acquainted Member

Post by Emuse »

Greetings August :)
Ask them by which standard they judge God to be good or evil.
OK - feel free :)
The likely answers are:
1. Society, social construct etc.....but which society has the most valid measure of good and evil? What is the social construct? Where did these standards come from in societies?
All good questions indeed! So which social constructs are the most valid - and why is a social construct on valid because it is theistically based? A social construct that is theistically based is still only another form of social construct and, because it is faith based, is inherently subjective.
2. Common sense....why should anyone's common sense be better than yours? What is the objective measure of common sense?
Survival?
3. The common law of the country or similar, almost like #1, but more formal....same response as #1. How do you decide that that specific legal system or law is the most valid to judge between good and evil?
Exactly. And why is a specific legal system valid simply because it is theistically based?
The problem that atheists face is that they cannot account for an objective standard of good and evil, so then any moral judgment they try make breaks down into personal opinion, which, if we are to be consistent, does not matter, or everyone's opinion matters equally.
And that there is an objective moral standard is based upon faith - and faith is inherently subjective. So either subjective systems are valid or they are not. Which is it?

It is your personal opinion that God exists. It is my opinion that he probably doesn't. According to you, both of our opinions are equally valid. Are you saying that your opinion over God's existence doesn't matter?
Eevn if they try to come up with some transcendental measure, they still fail, there is always a contra somewhere. The only way to make sense of moral claims is in light of the Bible, so any argument against the Bible (I.e. God does not exist), assuming the truth of the Bible (objective moral values), is inherently self-defeating.
The Bible was written by people expressing their opinions about God. However, according to you, personal opinion doesn't matter! You seem (and please accept my apologies if I am wrong) to exempt the Bible for the principles that you apply to other systems of thought.

The Bible expresses the opinion of people. You believe by faith that the words of the Bible are something more - but that view is faith (and therefore subjectively) based. So either subjectively based systems of thought are to be considered valid ... or they are not. Which is it?
If he picks one part of the worldview to justify his case, then he should accept the whole of the worldview, which basically says that God has a morally justifiable reason for everything that happens, and the atheist's argument collapses.
But so does the idea of there being any such thing as "evil" in any absolute sense. Evil becomes a matter of limited perception. We only see certain things as evil because we don't have the whole picture according to this argument. If this is the case, how can I have a knowledge of good and evil and how could God if evil doesn't exist in any absolute sense?
Emuse
Acquainted Member

Post by Emuse »

Hi again August :)

Just some more responses ...
Did you not understand the point I was making? Atheists have no objective foundation by which to judge right or wrong, so if they are making moral judgments, they must account for the foundation by which they do so.
You are of the opinion that you have an objective basis for reality that is faith based. Faith is subjective. If your faith is misplaced then there is no objective basis - you only believe that there is. So, are subjectively based systems of thought valid or not?
The Christian perspective is that God cannot be judged by His creation. The options are to either approach it from a relativistic perspective, as atheists do, or from an absolutist perspective, as Christians do.
Faith is relativistic. Some people believe in God, others don't. Even within theism opinion is divided over what God is like. This makes theistic morality extremely relativistic.
If the approach is relativistic, it collapses on itself, and there is no foundation by which the atheist can claim to make moral judgments. If he appeals to an objective measure of morals, then he has to account for what that is, but you cannot account for absolutes outside of a religious worldview.
And a religious worldview is based on faith! Faith is subjective. Don't you see the problem? You point to the Bible as a basis for moral absolutes - but you are only pointing to the opinions of men. You believe that those opinions point to something deeper - but that opinion is based on faith and is totally subjective and relativisitc.
No matter what you answer to his questions, you are "answering the fool according to his folly", and it will not be productive.
That sounds like nothing more than an ad hominem to me :( You appear to be stereotyping and generalising here.
August
Old School
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Day-Age

Post by August »

Hi Emuse,
All good questions indeed! So which social constructs are the most valid - and why is a social construct on valid because it is theistically based? A social construct that is theistically based is still only another form of social construct and, because it is faith based, is inherently subjective.
You missed the point a bit. If the standard by which you judge the difference between right and wrong is a social construct, i.e. that which a society considers to be absolutely right or worng, then you have to explain where that comes from. What are social constructs? Where do they come from? Who decides which social construct is the ultimate basis for right or wrong, and what are the criteria?

What do understand by "faith"? And I'm interested to hear how you arrive at a conclusion that it is "inherently subjective". By which standard do you judge the Christian faith to be subjective, is that not a subjective judgment in itself? In that case why should your subjective opinion be held as valid?
Survival?
How do you explain those that undertake actions that are contra to survival, like soldiers or firemen? Is it your opinion they do not have common sense? How do you connect survival and common sense? Please explain your logic. Where does common sense come from? ow do you know if someone has common sense or not?
Exactly. And why is a specific legal system valid simply because it is theistically based?
It is valid because God is the ultimate standard of good and evil. Why would a legal system be valid if it was based on the whims and moods of men?
And that there is an objective moral standard is based upon faith - and faith is inherently subjective. So either subjective systems are valid or they are not. Which is it?
You still have to show how the Christian faith is inherently subjective, that is merely your own subjective assertion. If there is no objective standard, then how do you determine whether something is subjective?
It is your personal opinion that God exists. It is my opinion that he probably doesn't. According to you, both of our opinions are equally valid. Are you saying that your opinion over God's existence doesn't matter?
I don't know where you get that I think both opinions are valid. Yours is wrong. You clearly misunderstood what I wrote. Your position as a relativist is the one that leads to the opinions being equally valid, not mine. Read again what I wrote.
The Bible was written by people expressing their opinions about God. However, according to you, personal opinion doesn't matter! You seem (and please accept my apologies if I am wrong) to exempt the Bible for the principles that you apply to other systems of thought.
Please prove that "The Bible was written by people expressing their opinion about God". How do you know that?

Yes, personal opinion does not matter when it comes to God. What do you mean by "other systems of thought"? If you mean atheism, then I am applying exactly the same principles to atheististic thought as I do to Christianity. What is the objective logical basis for atheism? How do you assert that there is no God, by your personal opinion? What do you base that opinion on? What are the logical arguments you followed to arrive at your conclusion?
The Bible expresses the opinion of people.
You keep on asserting that. It is up to you prove that it is so.
You believe by faith that the words of the Bible are something more - but that view is faith (and therefore subjectively) based.
You misunderstand faith, but we will get to that later. Again, please show that the Christian faith is subjective.
So either subjectively based systems of thought are to be considered valid ... or they are not. Which is it?
You are creating a false dilemma based on faulty assumptions. Sure there is a place for subjective thoughts, but you want to deny that there is any objective thought systems. In the case of God, human subjective thought does not matter.
But so does the idea of there being any such thing as "evil" in any absolute sense. Evil becomes a matter of limited perception. We only see certain things as evil because we don't have the whole picture according to this argument.
No, we do know that there is evil in an absolute sense, i.e. things that are wrong everywhere at all times. Do you deny that? It has nothing to do with perception, it has to do with your denial of the existence of evil.
If this is the case, how can I have a knowledge of good and evil and how could God if evil doesn't exist in any absolute sense?
You are going to have to explain your logic to me. Please start by defining God and evil.
You are of the opinion that you have an objective basis for reality that is faith based. Faith is subjective. If your faith is misplaced then there is no objective basis - you only believe that there is.
Please prove that the Christian faith is subjective. (Is this the 3rd time I'm asking this? :))
Faith is relativistic. Some people believe in God, others don't. Even within theism opinion is divided over what God is like. This makes theistic morality extremely relativistic.
Again.....please prove your assertions. And, as I noted many times, I am not concerned with other theistic schools of thought, I am only making a case for the Christian God.
And a religious worldview is based on faith! Faith is subjective. Don't you see the problem? You point to the Bible as a basis for moral absolutes - but you are only pointing to the opinions of men. You believe that those opinions point to something deeper - but that opinion is based on faith and is totally subjective and relativisitc.
*Sigh*, this is getting a bit tiresome. Same again, please prove etc...
That sounds like nothing more than an ad hominem to me. You appear to be stereotyping and generalising here.
I am quoting what the Bible says about arguments like these. Let's see how we proceed, then we can come back to the statement.
Acts 17:24-25 (NIV)
"The God who made the world and everything in it is the Lord of heaven and earth and does not live in temples built by hands. [25] And he is not served by human hands, as if he needed anything, because he himself gives all men life and breath and everything else."

//www.omnipotentgrace.org
//christianskepticism.blogspot.com
Kurieuo
Honored Member
Creation Position: Progressive Creationist

Post by Kurieuo »

Emuse wrote:Christians believe that one day they will be raised with Christ and dwell with him in heaven forever. They generally believe that they will have perfect freedom but will be incapable of sin. Please correct me if I am wrong.

By believing this, Christians obviously have confidence that God can create a reality in which people are perfectly free yet never sin. If this is the case, then this hope unravels the free will defence for God allowing evil. The latter often asserts that God had no choice but to allow evil if people were to have free will. But the hope of heaven destroys this argument because the Christian believes that God will create a reality in which people are free yet incapable of sin. The two seem incompatible.
Heaven includes not just the afterlife, but the pre-life. Heaven may not be a possible world when you take it in isolation by itself. Infact Christians believe many who were created in God's direct presence still fell (i.e., angels). Perhaps the only way God could actualize a heaven of free creatures choosing Him and not sinning would be by having this pre-life to it wherein people reveal their desires are for or against God. Without this pre-life we do not know that heaven can be actualised.

Kurieuo
"Whoever will call on the name of the Lord will be saved." (Romans 10:13)
August
Old School

Re: Hi Everyone

Post by August »

Emuse wrote:Hi All

My name is James and I am new to the board. I have been reading through this thread and found it very interesting. :)

As an atheist, I thought that I would register and offer my own responses so that you can have a direct insight into what an atheist really thinks. Even if we "agree to disagree" it may help you to develop your own arguments and ideas - and I'm sure that I will learn from the process.

Just one thing - I am obviously hopelessley outnumbered here - so I may need time and patience in order to reply.
Hi James, welcome to the board. I just want to refer you to the rules of the board that you agreed with when you signed up. We have had many good and polite discussions with non-believers here, and as long as it remains civil you are welcome.
"The God who made the world and everything in it is the Lord of heaven and earth and does not live in temples built by hands. [25] And he is not served by human hands, as if he needed anything, because he himself gives all men life and breath and everything else."

Canuckster1127
Old School
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution

Post by Canuckster1127 »

Welcome James (emuse),

I'm glad you've joined in and let me say that I appreciate the manner in which you are interacting with this thread. You are indeed welcome.

Here's some input on your comments and questions,
1. God foreknew how many people would reject Him.

This raises the question of whether God should be thought to have perfect foreknowledge. It could be argued that he hasn't - but where would that leave prophecy? How was Jesus able to perfectly predict Peter's denial?

This is a legitimate question coming from the point of view of someone who has not accepted specific revelation and in particular, specific revelation in the form of the Bible. The quick answer, is that a Christian, based upon the presupposition of the Bible believes that God has certain immutable attributes (Characteristics that are inherent to His person as God which are His alone and cannot be transmitted or shared.) Omniscience is one of these. Inherent within this and other attributes is the idea that God is not tied into time progressively and sequentially as we are and therefore, God has foreknowledge of the future. It's not in the sense that we can relate to however. When we seek to understand God from our perspective and extrapolate out based upon that understanding, we are engaging in what is known as anthropomorphism (casting God in our image by extension of our common experiences and understandings.) That will likely prove to be a standard point of reference for how I engage with the rest of your questions, and I understand that it may prove to be less than satisfactory to someone who does not share a platform of common belief in that regard. Nevertheless, onward.
2. Jesus said the road to heaven is narrow and few would find it.

Indeed he did.

Agreed. If one accepts the Gospel quotes of Jesus as accurate historically, and I believe there is good reason to do so beyond the obvious answer for the Christian of inspiration and inerrancy, then there are some very clear indications that Jesus believed and taught the existence not only of heaven, but also of hell. In fact, in terms of volume of material, Jesus referenced Hell more than any other subject in his public ministry. There is opportunity for endless debate (and that opportunity has been exercised here as well as throughout history) as to what Jesus meant by hell, whether that hell is eternal, etc. Those are other discussions. Regardless of how you choose to interact with the material, there certainly is an onus upon anyone addressing Christ and His teaching to address this as primary and incorporate it firmly into any framework of understanding of His person and His teaching.
3. The majority of people on earth and through history have not been Christians.

No real need to comment on that. Self evidently true.

Agreed.
Quote:
4. The majority of people will spend an eternal existence in Hell suffering unimaginable torment 'weeping and gnashing of teeth'.

If ....

1. It is a requirement to be a Christian to avoid hell and ....
2. Hell goes on forever, and ...
3. The vast majority of people haven't been Christians ...

... then yes.

There are some "ifs" in there though.

1 and 2 are contingent ifs. 3 we've already agreed upon.
5. God still chose to go ahead with creation knowing he would consign billions of souls to endless torment - souls that did not even ask to be created.

Again, this would appear to be the reasonable conclusion.

Agreed. This is a reasonable conclusion within this construct. I would simply point out however, that it is not necessarily inclusive of every factor to be considered in coming to a final conclusion. It is an inherent weakness of logical constructs that they are limited to internal consistency involving the premises provided but it is not a given that those premises are necessarily inclusive of all relevant considerations.
6. If I was God, I would not have gone ahead with creation when the cost was so high and would entail so much suffering.

I can fully emphathise with that point of view.

Here we come to the crux of the matter. The next point follows and would seem to be be the major difficulty. I think however, that more time needs to be spent here.

"If I was God ...." Obviously, we're not God, nor, if we accept the premise that some of God's characteristics ie Omniscience, omnipotence, omnipresence etc are immutable and cannot be fully grasped, let alone shared, then we have constructed something of a paradox here.

Obviously, for the Christian, which I profess to be, the immediate answer is that God as infinite cannot be grasped completely by we who are finite. Therefore, we lack the understanding and the perspective to adequately pass judgement upon the matter.

I understand that that is a very unsatisfactory answer to someone who does not share that world view and that it can be viewed as circular. Further I understand that such an argument can be seen as a "copout."

I do believe that God has through His revelation given us some insight into the matter and that it is a legitimate question to ask and that more should be said than simply throwing this up as a defense and walking away.

We can go into more detail as this progresses as you wish, but I think it important to point out that it is at this point in the argument, before the conclusion drawn in point 7 of this progression, that some important questions need to be asked and some understandings drawn, before we accept the conclusions inferred and then move on.
7. How can God be said to be good or to have any regard for those he has created, never mind actually love them when he will consign most of his children to Hell.

See points to question 6.

I also argue the following way ... Smile

Christians believe that one day they will be raised with Christ and dwell with him in heaven forever. They generally believe that they will have perfect freedom but will be incapable of sin. Please correct me if I am wrong.

Basically true, yet not necessarily complete. First, I'm not sure I agree with the incapability of sin in terms of its being a possibility, so much as I believe Christians see a completion or maturity occurring upon final bodily redemption in which the element of our humanity that is marred by original sin is "healed" or "removed" as you will. Perfection is a concept that is often misunderstood by even many Christians. The Biblical concept of perfection is more along the lines of maturity or completeness. It has been taken by others theologically to mean the absence of anything we call "bad" or "evil" by our definition.

The best example I can offer up quickly is the idea that physical death is evil or bad and as such the direct consequence of sin. There are some Biblical passages when taken together that seem to indicate this, primarily in the Genesis account of Genesis 2 & 3 and then Romans 5:12.

However, many Christians, myself included, understand the death being spoken of there as representative of the Hebrew concept of death in this context being a separation from God. Physical death as an element of creation in terms of life-cycle and food-chain is not necessarily inherently evil, especially as it relates to non-human elements. Man is seen as a special case due to the spiritual element which does not exist in other forms of plants and animals.

A lot more can be said there of course, but that does tie into some of where this is going.

I'm think that the correct view is to say, not that we will be incapable, but rather in view of the maturing, perfecting work of Christ in our lives, we will no longer have that element of original sin and rebellion grafted to us and as such our desire to know and serve God will be able to express itself without restriction. The desire will be gone and we will exercise volitionally what our greatest hearts desire in fact is without distraction or conflict.

Again, I think we suffer somewhat here from a lack of perspective equal to the magnitude of what we are describing.
The other defence I have seen is the "unknown reason" defence. That being - just because I don't know of a reason why God would allow evil, doesn't mean that there isn't one. Allow me to give a definition for evil (please feel free to disagree) ...

Any unjustifiable act that causes pain or suffering to another person.

In answer to this I need to present an assumption that might be wrong. The assumption is - everything that God does (or allows) is good because it achieves something ultimately good. God can justify everything that he allows and therefore is incapable of evil when he allows suffering.

There are some problems with this. Firstly, it means that evil doesn't exist in any absolute sense. Our sense of evil is simply established upon our limited perception. All "apparent evil" can be defended by appealing to God's "unknown reason" and therfore all "apparent evil" ceases to become evil in any absolute sense.

So how does God have a knowledge of good and evil if evil doesn't exist in any absolute sense? How can the Bible claim that we have a knowledge of good and evil if evil isn't real?

If evil is something we think of based on limited perception then evil (and good) both become relativistic. Most Christians reject relativisitc morality.

I hope I am making myself clear here. I think that is enough for now Smile
Emuse
PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2006 5:48 am Post subject: Hi Everyone
Hi All

My name is James and I am new to the board. I have been reading through this thread and found it very interesting. Smile

Well, you do rightly anticipate some of the answer.

Implicit within your proposed definition of "evil" is a human perspective that in turn is applied back to God. In a sense, it can't help but be so. We obviously are human and can only grasp and interpret what we see and interpret in that manner.

Let me suggest this as a definition of evil.

Evil and sin, are not ultimately things in and of themselves. Rather they are anything that falls short or, or misses the mark of perfection and good as defined and embodied in God himself.

An analogy, although imperfect, as all analogies must be, would be the contrast between light and darkness. Darkness is not a thing in and of itself. It is the absence of light. In the same vein, Heat and cold work, similarly, cold is not a substance it is rather the absence of heat.

The definition certainly dictates the argument.

In any event welcome.

I would be interested at some point, if you have the time, if you checked out the article on the main board relating to the story of Anthony Flew and his journey from Atheism to Theism. You might find it interesting.

Best regards,

Bart
August
Old School

Post by August »

Hi James,

Just to confirm your prediction of being outnumbered :) , I have some more questions for you:
1. What is the nature of things that are real?
2. How does the world operate?
3. Where did it come from?
4. What is man's place in the world?
5. What is man's nature?
6. Are there moral or epistemological norms which are not chosen by the individual?
7. What are the criteria of truth?
8. What are the proper methods of knowing?
9. Is certainty possible?

BGoodForGoodSake
Ultimate Member
Christian: No

Post by BGoodForGoodSake »

August wrote:Hi James,

Just to confirm your prediction of being outnumbered :) , I have some more questions for you:
5. What is man's nature?
6. Are there moral or epistemological norms which are not chosen by the individual?
Must you insist on getting to the root of everything?
Why the need to analyze a person before allowing the discussion to continue?
It is not length of life, but depth of life. -- Ralph Waldo Emerson
Jac3510
Ultimate Member
Creation Position: Young-Earth Creationist

Post by Jac3510 »

James, nice to have you aboard . . .

To everybody: I've only been halfway following this, and even now I haven't looked at every word posted. I will say that the responses to James have been right on the money. But with all that said, there seems to be a very basic issue that hasn't been brought up. I'll address it by way of assertion.

God will not torment the majority of His children forever. Indeed, God will torment none of His children forever.

The assumption I am taking issue with is the idea that we are all God's children. That is false. Only believers are God's children.

In reality, we can properly say that God will torment the majority of his creations forever. When it is understood that these creatures are in rebellion to Him, and will remain in rebellion--in fact, even moreso--in Hell, the moral side of the argument is answered. Those in Hell are unrepentant and will forever be so. Tied to this is the idea that Hell was created for Satan and the fallen angels. More generally, it was created for those who are in rebellion to God. What place, then, is there for those in rebellion to God except the place designed for that very thing?

It is here that August's take on the moral argument is most appropriate. The only objection someone can bring up at this point is that the judgment is too harsh. Here, we as on what standard they are basing "too harsh." There is no logical way to support the assertion, and thus, deference goes to God. This is especially true considering the rebellious nature of the condemned.

Anyway, just my thoughts on the matter.

God bless
Proinsias wrote:I don't think you are hearing me. Preference for ice cream is a moral issue
And that, brothers and sisters, is the kind of foolishness you get people who insist on denying biblical theism. A good illustration of any as the length people will go to avoid acknowledging basic truths.
August
Old School

Post by August »

BGoodForGoodSake wrote:
August wrote:Hi James,

5. What is man's nature?
Must you insist on getting to the root of everything?
Why the need to analyze a person before allowing the discussion to continue?
Yes, I must insist. The root of everything is what it is about, isn't it? If someone is making assertions then they must have a logical basis from which to do so, or the discussion is a meaningless assertion of opinions, which cannot reach a satisfactory conclusion. If your standard is different, then it is your right to continue with discussions in that fashion, however, do not try and hold me to your agnostic standard.

Emuse
Acquainted Member

Post by Emuse »

Hi August
You missed the point a bit. If the standard by which you judge the difference between right and wrong is a social construct, i.e. that which a society considers to be absolutely right or worng, then you have to explain where that comes from.
Why? Social constructs are a brute fact. They exist. Do you have to explain God? Do you have to explain why he exists - or should I just take him as a brute fact?

I think we first have to determine why I have to explain everything yet God requires no explanation. God can be presupposed and not explained yet I have to explain ALL my presuppostions? Is that it? Are we going to argue on a level playing field?

Why does God exist?

The fact is, right and wrong differ from society to society and that is why different laws exist in different countries and cultures. However, generally, man has found that it is more profitable to work in co-operation than to work in isolation. It profers certain survival advantages. Survival is not subjective in any sense.
What are social constructs? Where do they come from?
A good question, because even animals appear to have them. There are certain species that live in social groups - others do not. They appear to come from human instinct and thought.
Who decides which social construct is the ultimate basis for right or wrong, and what are the criteria?
Ultimate base for right and wrong? What if there is no ultimate basis? We simply decide right and wrong on the basis of objectionable or acceptable outcomes.
What do understand by "faith"? And I'm interested to hear how you arrive at a conclusion that it is "inherently subjective".
Faith is being sure of what you hope for and certain of what you don't see. Any system of thought that bypasses the senses is inherently subjective. Faith is about hope and confidence. Hope and confidence are both inherently subjective aren't they?
By which standard do you judge the Christian faith to be subjective, is that not a subjective judgment in itself? In that case why should your subjective opinion be held as valid?
Why is it invalid?
How do you explain those that undertake actions that are contra to survival, like soldiers or firemen? Is it your opinion they do not have common sense? How do you connect survival and common sense? Please explain your logic. Where does common sense come from? ow do you know if someone has common sense or not?
Ultimately, human survival is what appears to matter to us, even if certain members of society are not simply promoting survival for themselves, they are seeking to promote survival for humanity as a whole.

The idea of good and evil being linked to survival seems to lay at the heart of certain religions. Most religions (including Christianity) seem to be concerned with cheating death in some way. Cheating death has to do with survival.
It is valid because God is the ultimate standard of good and evil. Why would a legal system be valid if it was based on the whims and moods of men?
Why would a standard of good and evil be valid simply because it was based on the whims and moods of God - especially if his ways are so beyond us that we could not derive any sense of good and evil from him?

You haven't actually explained why "good" and "evil" exist. You have made them knowledge attributes of a postulated God that can be presupposed and remain unexplained. But this simply removes "good" and "evil" from the need of an explanation.

Why does material existence have to be explained yet God's existence doesn't?
You still have to show how the Christian faith is inherently subjective, that is merely your own subjective assertion. If there is no objective standard, then how do you determine whether something is subjective?
Subjective is "that which is contingent upon a mind in order to exist and would cease to exist if no minds existed." If there were no people, would there be faith? That should answer your question I hope.
I don't know where you get that I think both opinions are valid. Yours is wrong. You clearly misunderstood what I wrote. Your position as a relativist is the one that leads to the opinions being equally valid, not mine. Read again what I wrote.
Apologies - I did misread your initial post. The question simply needs to be reversed. Why aren't atheism and theism equally invalid?
Please prove that "The Bible was written by people expressing their opinion about God". How do you know that?
What do you mean by prove? Do you mean, remove ALL doubt? That would be impossible.

The Bible was written by people - unless you want to argue otherwise. Therefore it is full of human assertions and human ideas (whatever their basis). If you think that it is divinely inspired then please present your evidence for this. The burden rests upon anyone making any sort of a truth claim.

You are demanding explanations from me. Why should I accept that the Bible is divinely inspired without explanation?
Yes, personal opinion does not matter when it comes to God.
Doesn't it? Why not? Because you say so?
What do you mean by "other systems of thought"? If you mean atheism, then I am applying exactly the same principles to atheististic thought as I do to Christianity. What is the objective logical basis for atheism?
Objective logical basis? Logic depends upon a mind in order to exist and is therefore subjective. Would there be logic with no minds? I'm not sure what you mean by objective logical basis?
How do you assert that there is no God, by your personal opinion?
But the view that my opinions don't matter is based on your opinion. If you carry on like this we will just end up running around in circles :)
What do you base that opinion on? What are the logical arguments you followed to arrive at your conclusion?
I simply think that certain things that are given a divine status (such as the Bible) have more of the hallmarks of being the product of frail human thinking. That's all. Please demonstrate how this view is invalid or doesn't matter.
The Bible expresses the opinion of people.

You keep on asserting that. It is up to you prove that it is so.
The burden rests upon anyone making a truth claim August.

The Bible was written by people. I expect that they engaged in thinking while they were writing. Therefore I conclude that the Bible expresses human opinion about God. What or who else wrote the Bible August?
You misunderstand faith, but we will get to that later. Again, please show that the Christian faith is subjective.
I thought that faith was being sure of what you hope for and certain of what you don't see? Something is subjective if its existence is contingent upon a mind. There is some interconnecting between the subjective and objective and that I can pad out in more detail.
You are creating a false dilemma based on faulty assumptions. Sure there is a place for subjective thoughts, but you want to deny that there is any objective thought systems.
If subjective is, by definition, that which requires a mind in order to exist, what do you mean by objective thought system?
In the case of God, human subjective thought does not matter.
Why not? Because you say so? Because that is your opinion? Why did God create subjective human thought then? Why did he create something that you assert doesn't matter?
No, we do know that there is evil in an absolute sense, i.e. things that are wrong everywhere at all times.
But if God can justify allowing EVERYTHING to happen - then nothing is wrong in and of itself - because God can do no wrong. What we call wrong is based on our limited perspective.
Do you deny that? It has nothing to do with perception, it has to do with your denial of the existence of evil.
I'm not denying the existence of evil. I think that evil acts occur.

I'm saying that if there is a God who can justify what we call evil, then nothing is truly evil in and of itself - because it all achieves God's good.
You are going to have to explain your logic to me. Please start by defining God and evil.
God is the creator of the universe.

Evil is any unjustifiable suffering caused to another person.

If someone commits evil (because no-one can see the justification for the act), yet God knows of an unknown justifiable purpose for allowing it, then the act was not evil in any absolute sense - only from a certain perspective.
Please prove that the Christian faith is subjective. (Is this the 3rd time I'm asking this? )
Something is subjective (or subjectively based) when it needs minds in order to exist.
Again.....please prove your assertions. And, as I noted many times, I am not concerned with other theistic schools of thought, I am only making a case for the Christian God.
But you can't simply rule out other systems of thought in such an ad hoc way. The truth is, God belief does not result in an absolute idea of right and wrong. There are many different forms of theism. Why is your form of theism the only valid one? Why should I ignore the others - simply because you say so?
I am quoting what the Bible says about arguments like these. Let's see how we proceed, then we can come back to the statement.
The Bible was mostly written to theists of some form or another. It was written to Jews and Greeks, all of whom were extremely theistic (even if different expressions thereof). I don't see that it really deals with atheistic objections (lack of belief in a God or gods). God or gods are assumed throughout.

Why should I presuppose God?
Emuse
Acquainted Member

Post by Emuse »

I will address the other posts as time permits :) Thank you all for your patience.
bluesman
Established Member
Christian: No

Why are you here?

Post by bluesman »

For you people that enjoy debate for the fun of it thats good for you, but

I would have to ask of any atheist before, would be
Why are you here?
What are you hoping to get out of being in a debate with a bunch of christians?

I understand a person wanting to seek the truth, but at what point is debating
an atheist a process futility. If a person has some leaning towards being agnostic then maybe discussion has some use.

I think keeping answers simple is better then confusion of complex metaphysic answers.

So I think something Emuse needs to answer for himself is
Why am I posting in a Christian board?

Mike
Bluesman