God on OT vs. God nowadays etc...

General discussions about Christianity including salvation, heaven and hell, Christian history and so on.
FFC
Prestigious Senior Member
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Young-Earth Creationist

Post by FFC »

Turgy wrote:I don't think ridiculizing aggressive opponents is always bad. If it is, we'd have to say one or two things to that politically incorrect prophet Elijah, with his 'Cry aloud: for he is a god; either he is talking, or he is pursuing, or he is in a journey, or peradventure he sleepeth, and must be awaked...' (I Kings 18:27)
I like that verse. Some translations translate "in a journey" as relieving himself or going to the bathroom. That just adds even more humiliation to the heathens.

An even better example is Jesus and His colorful descriptions of the Jewish leaders. Of course this is not a licence to ridicule non believers whenever we feel like it. The message should always be presented in love and with wisdom.
"Faith sees the invisible, believes the unbelievable, and receives the impossible." - Corrie Ten Boom

Act 9:6
And he trembling and astonished said, Lord, what wilt thou have me to do?
Gman
Old School
Creation Position: Day-Age

Post by Gman »

Turgy wrote:No...but I disagree with 'Open View Theology' because I think it compromises God's sovereignty, which is attested throughout the Bible -- I won't quote texts, but the way I read it, it's an underlying theme you can find on every page.
Open View Theology?? :lol: Ok champ, maybe you do know something more about God than others then…
Turgy wrote: I think it depends. I would try hard not to offend an honest, sensitive seeker, but like you say, some atheists are arrogant and closed-minded. They're not going to listen to you anyway. What Holding does (and what I would probably do) is that he stops talking to them and starts saying one or two things about them...
I don't think ridiculizing aggressive opponents is always bad. If it is, we'd have to say one or two things to that politically incorrect prophet Elijah, with his 'Cry aloud: for he is a god; either he is talking, or he is pursuing, or he is in a journey, or peradventure he sleepeth, and must be awaked...' (I Kings 18:27)
How do you know they won't listen to you anyway? Also how can you diagnose an entire person with just a few sentences over the internet? If you can, then maybe you do have more faith than others.. I'm not denying that we can be aggressive or emotional with others, I would be cautious however on how you approach it and not assume you know an entire person based on a few sentences of dialog.. Know what I mean?

Hope that helps..

G -
The heart cannot rejoice in what the mind rejects as false - Galileo

We learn from history that we do not learn from history - Georg Friedrich Wilhelm Hegel

Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable, if anything is excellent or praiseworthy, think about such things. -Philippians 4:8
Turgonian
Christian: No

Post by Turgonian »

Gman wrote:Open View Theology?? :lol: Ok champ, maybe you do know something more about God than others then…
No, I don't. After all, the best knowledge of God (in the biblical, intimate sense of 'knowledge') comes from a long relationship with God -- and that knowledge would include an appreciation of His mystery! ;)
Gman wrote:How do you know they won't listen to you anyway? Also how can you diagnose an entire person with just a few sentences over the internet? If you can, then maybe you do have more faith than others.. I'm not denying that we can be aggressive or emotional with others, I would be cautious however on how you approach it and not assume you know an entire person based on a few sentences of dialog.. Know what I mean?
I wouldn't make any ad hominem attacks, but ridiculizing foolish viewpoints is another matter. Recently I saw a news forum (of which I'm not a member) in which somebody said that he had studied religion closely and arrived at the conclusion that it was all based on fear. If I would be debating someone like that, I would start by pointing out why he has at best only a small portion of the truth; but if he would act haughtily and/or ignore my arguments, I might start being somewhat more assertive. :lol:
There are persons who are completely oblivious to opposing arguments. You're not going to convince them on your own. But often there's an audience reading or listening, and when you succeed in sharply pointing out where the opponent is being narrow-minded, you might win them over.
Plus, the reductio ad absurdum is my favourite type of argument. :lol:
The Bible says they were "willingly ignorant". In the Greek, this means "be dumb on purpose". (Kent Hovind)
Gman
Old School

Post by Gman »

Turgonian wrote:I wouldn't make any ad hominem attacks, but ridiculizing foolish viewpoints is another matter. Recently I saw a news forum (of which I'm not a member) in which somebody said that he had studied religion closely and arrived at the conclusion that it was all based on fear. If I would be debating someone like that, I would start by pointing out why he has at best only a small portion of the truth; but if he would act haughtily and/or ignore my arguments, I might start being somewhat more assertive. :lol:
There are persons who are completely oblivious to opposing arguments. You're not going to convince them on your own. But often there's an audience reading or listening, and when you succeed in sharply pointing out where the opponent is being narrow-minded, you might win them over.
Plus, the reductio ad absurdum is my favourite type of argument. :lol:
Much clearer Turgy.. No argument here... Ephesians 6:12is pretty clear about that.. If you understand the boundaries of the different types of arguments, that works for me... :P

G -

We learn from history that we do not learn from history - Georg Friedrich Wilhelm Hegel

Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable, if anything is excellent or praiseworthy, think about such things. -Philippians 4:8
madscientist
Valued Member
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution

Post by madscientist »

Gman wrote: Mad, are we driving you mad yet? :lol: What a lot of it boils down to is how you interpret free will.. If God is not going to manipulate us, if He is going to offer us the opportunity to express our freewill, then is He is at the mercy of that freewill? And if he is, does he need to change his plans for us? That’s the million dollar question.. Some say yes, others say no.. Just do a word search on "free will" at this forum to find all the different views about it.. Sorry for the cheap answer..
Quite didnt understabd what you meant there. Mercy of the freewill?? Quite cinfused tehre...
Gman wrote:Matthew 24:36 "But of that day and hour no one knows, not even the angels of heaven, nor the Son, but the Father alone.
Huh thats strange!! Coz if God is omniscient, and God isnt just father but akl 3 persons togetehjr then thats just a surprise to me :) and will be to angels and Son as well then. But i thought God Fathe r Son and Spirit are equal in all aspects... So they are not??
FFC

Post by FFC »

Mad wrote:Huh thats strange!! Coz if God is omniscient, and God isnt just father but akl 3 persons togetehjr then thats just a surprise to me and will be to angels and Son as well then. But i thought God Fathe r Son and Spirit are equal in all aspects... So they are not??
It's all you, Gman :lol:
"Faith sees the invisible, believes the unbelievable, and receives the impossible." - Corrie Ten Boom

Canuckster1127
Old School

Post by Canuckster1127 »

madscientist wrote:
Gman wrote: Mad, are we driving you mad yet? :lol: What a lot of it boils down to is how you interpret free will.. If God is not going to manipulate us, if He is going to offer us the opportunity to express our freewill, then is He is at the mercy of that freewill? And if he is, does he need to change his plans for us? That’s the million dollar question.. Some say yes, others say no.. Just do a word search on "free will" at this forum to find all the different views about it.. Sorry for the cheap answer..
Quite didnt understabd what you meant there. Mercy of the freewill?? Quite cinfused tehre...
Gman wrote:Matthew 24:36 "But of that day and hour no one knows, not even the angels of heaven, nor the Son, but the Father alone.
Huh thats strange!! Coz if God is omniscient, and God isnt just father but akl 3 persons togetehjr then thats just a surprise to me :) and will be to angels and Son as well then. But i thought God Fathe r Son and Spirit are equal in all aspects... So they are not??
That is a good question and a hard one to answer.

First, Father, Son and Holy Spirit are the same in substance but there are differences in terms of their roles and functions.

In the case of Christ, one explanation that is offered for this rest of the fact that Jesus was both Fully Human and Fully God from the time of His incarnation. Phil 2:5-11 speaks of Christ "emptying" himself of many things that were due him as God by setting them aside. While some have interpretted this (wrongly in my opinion) to indicate that Jesus is more than man, but less than God, it could give an explanation in this instance, where Jesus is showing that despite his right to know, he voluntarily set aside or apart the exercise of his omniscience in this regard submitting Himself to God the father in His humanity.

This would also explain the passage in Luke 2:40 (although there are some translation issues here too) where it speaks about Jesus growing in wisdom as a young man.

I'm not entirely sure of this explanation because there are other points in scripture that demonstrate Jesus' knowledge and wisdom beyond that of simply being a wise human being.

John 6:64; Matthew 12:25; Luke 6:8; 11:17 (examples)

First, I think you need to see Matt 24 in the whole context of what Jesus was talking about. It is an apoclyptic passage speaking of the future. The disciples in verse 1 of Matt 24 appear to be pretty impressed with the buildings and grandeur of the Temple. Jesus takes the opportunity to caution them about getting too attached or being too impressed. In fact, he tells them it will be destroyed. So then the scene shifts and we see the disciples coming to Jesus to ask Him when this will happen. Further they want to know the sign of his coming and the ending of the age.

Jesus didn't claim ignorance and say, "I don't know."

Instead Jesus gave them a lot of teaching about this very subject.

The sum is that he knows alot about what is coming, that the times will be very difficult, but above all the primary message is to "Be Ready."

The word in the Greek "to know" here is "oida." Remember that Jesus was probably not speaking Greek to his disciples. In Hebrew, the word translated into the greek "oida" has some additional shades of meaning that go beyond a simple knowing of fact. It often is used in terms of intimacy in a relationship. The same word is used shortly thereafter in Matt 25:12 in a parable where Jesus speaks of the ten virgins and the bridegroom returns and finds them unready. He responds to them, "I don't know you." In this setting, (granted it is a parable) the word clearly doesn't mean he doesn't know who they are, but rather than he has no intimate relationship with them and therefore they are not welcome.

I think what is at work here is a recognition by Christ of His role in relationship to His Father. The Son submits to the Father's will. This is consistently modeled by Christ and it teaches us as Humans how we are to look to and submit to God. I think in effect, Jesus is telling his disciples, knowing that they will get hung up on trying to fix a precise time, (just like many of us do, by the way) to focus on being ready and follow His example of submission to God for the details, rather than just a simple knowing or not knowing.

Jesus as God, should be presumed to know. Jesus as Man, can be seen here to model and direct us in our response.

For many, the first explanation is enough. I may be making it too complicated and writing on the fly I hope I'm being clear.

Those are some thoughts I recollect from looking at this some time ago.
Dogmatism is the comfortable intellectual framework of self-righteousness. Self-righteousness is more decadent than the worst sexual sin. ~ Dan Allender
Gman
Old School

Post by Gman »

FFC wrote:
Mad wrote:Huh thats strange!! Coz if God is omniscient, and God isnt just father but akl 3 persons togetehjr then thats just a surprise to me and will be to angels and Son as well then. But i thought God Fathe r Son and Spirit are equal in all aspects... So they are not??
It's all you, Gman :lol:
That's me alright.. Confused... :lol:

Thanks Bart for saving my tail there.

Mad, don't get too tripped up on the Trinity. There really isn't much confusion about it. I would recommend this book to you called "God in Three Person's" by Millard J. Erickson if you want to know more about it... Basically this verse should be understood as part of the earthly abode of Christ, as part of the state of humiliation, as it is sometimes called. The Father was in heaven, the Son was on earth... Later Christ ascended back to God and abides in him again. That's it...

Hope that helps...

G -

Turgonian

Post by Turgonian »

madscientist wrote:
Gman wrote: Mad, are we driving you mad yet? :lol: What a lot of it boils down to is how you interpret free will.. If God is not going to manipulate us, if He is going to offer us the opportunity to express our freewill, then is He is at the mercy of that freewill? And if he is, does he need to change his plans for us? That's the million dollar question.. Some say yes, others say no.. Just do a word search on "free will" at this forum to find all the different views about it.. Sorry for the cheap answer..
Quite didnt understand what you meant there. Mercy of the freewill?? Quite confused there...
What Gman meant, was: is God controlled or manipulated by human free will if He gives us the freedom to choose?
I would say that the most widely held view of 'free will' is unbiblical, because the Bible pictures free will as being the will that wants to follow God. If God 'opens our heart' and makes us susceptible to the Gospel, He is not 'manipulating' us as Gman puts it, but enlightening, liberating us. But I don't think we should go into that issue in this thread.
Last edited by Turgonian on Wed Sep 20, 2006 2:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Bible says they were "willingly ignorant". In the Greek, this means "be dumb on purpose". (Kent Hovind)
madscientist
Valued Member

Quiote

Post by madscientist »

Gman wrote:It's all you, Gman :lol:
Mad, don't get too tripped up on the Trinity. There really isn't much confusion about it. I would recommend this book to you called "God in Three Person's" by Millard J. Erickson if you want to know more about it... Basically this verse should be understood as part of the earthly abode of Christ, as part of the state of humiliation, as it is sometimes called. The Father was in heaven, the Son was on earth... Later Christ ascended back to God and abides in him again. That's it...
OK... but even the fdact that Christ was in human form, how that doesnt go against the immutability of God? Yes i mean this is not just here i realzed its long time ago but once were on the topic why not stay,... when Jesus was human and boen etc he realized he was God, right? And he didnt sin even when he was 4 or young? Probably at first he felt just like normal human, but never sinned etc coz God cant sin. But whilst he was still so young he didnt reach age of accountability, and God is eternal and always in conscience etc isnt this an exception?
"Love is only possible if a choice of either love or rejecting the love is given." One of the most true things id ever heard, not so long ago.

-MMS-
Gman
Old School

Post by Gman »

Turgonian wrote:I would say that the most widely held view of 'free will' is unbiblical, because the Bible pictures free will as being the will that wants to follow God.
Maybe it's unbiblical to the way you understand it Turgy... God offers his free will and love unconditionally to everyone. In other words, God is offering it as a risk to himself. We then have the choice to either go with it or not.. This is why we want to follow God, because he gives freely and unconditionally... :wink:
mad wrote:OK... but even the fdact that Christ was in human form, how that doesnt go against the immutability of God? Yes i mean this is not just here i realzed its long time ago but once were on the topic why not stay,... when Jesus was human and boen etc he realized he was God, right? And he didnt sin even when he was 4 or young? Probably at first he felt just like normal human, but never sinned etc coz God cant sin. But whilst he was still so young he didnt reach age of accountability, and God is eternal and always in conscience etc isnt this an exception?
No mad, it doesn't go against the immutability of God... God is simply expressing himself in human form. In other words, Christ was given to us as an example for us to see God up close and in action... So as a man he experienced the same physical pains and hardships that we endured but still remained God at the same time...

I thought this web site expressed it well...

http://www.geocities.com/Athens/Delphi/8449/father.html

Hope that helped..

G -

Turgonian

Post by Turgonian »

Gman wrote:Maybe it's unbiblical to the way you understand it Turgy... God offers his free will and love unconditionally to everyone. In other words, God is offering it as a risk to himself. We then have the choice to either go with it or not..
I agree with the second sentence, but the third is a non sequitur. He does offer love unconditionally, but we do not accept Him until He changes our wills.
Like I said, your concept of free will is from secular philosophy. The Bible pictures free will as a will that wants to follow God.
Gman wrote:This is why we want to follow God, because he gives freely and unconditionally... :wink:
Yes -- and besides that, He created us, and He cares for us every day...
Gman wrote:No mad, it doesn't go against the immutability of God... God is simply expressing himself in human form. In other words, Christ was given to us as an example for us to see God up close and in action... So as a man he experienced the same physical pains and hardships that we endured but still remained God at the same time...
Well put! According to some Trinitarian theologians, Jesus is God's Wisdom.
Judah
Advanced Senior Member
Sex: Female

Post by Judah »

Turgonian wrote:
Gman wrote:No mad, it doesn't go against the immutability of God... God is simply expressing himself in human form. In other words, Christ was given to us as an example for us to see God up close and in action... So as a man he experienced the same physical pains and hardships that we endured but still remained God at the same time...
Well put! According to some Trinitarian theologians, Jesus is God's Wisdom.
Or how about this... ?
Colossians 1:15 Christ is the visible image of the invisible God. He existed before God made anything at all and is supreme over all creation.
Turgy, I chuckle every time I see you link to Tektonics.
You must really like that site. I do too. :wink:
Gman
Old School

Post by Gman »

Turgonian wrote:Like I said, your concept of free will is from secular philosophy. The Bible pictures free will as a will that wants to follow God.
You are a funny Turgy... :lol:
Turgonian wrote:but we do not accept Him until He changes our wills.
Did it ever occurr to you that maybe you are the one pushing the secular envelope here? He can change our will if we allow him to... It's all about permissions, trust and faith... No strings attached or it isn't free...

G -

FFC

Post by FFC »

Gman wrote:
Turgonian wrote:Like I said, your concept of free will is from secular philosophy. The Bible pictures free will as a will that wants to follow God.
You are a funny Turgy... :lol:
Turgonian wrote:but we do not accept Him until He changes our wills.
Did it ever occurr to you that maybe you are the one pushing the secular envelope here? He can change our will if we allow him to... It's all about permissions, trust and faith... No strings attached or it isn't free...

G -
That's what I'm saying! God is Sovereign even in our free will.