The scientific proof for Genesis

Discussion about scientific issues as they relate to God and Christianity including archaeology, origins of life, the universe, intelligent design, evolution, etc.
zoegirl
Old School
Christian: Yes
Sex: Female
Creation Position: Day-Age

Re: The scientific proof for Genesis

Post by zoegirl »

What?!?!?

ACre to back *any* of that from scripture?!?
"And we take captive every thought to make it obedient to Jesus Christ"
Jac3510
Ultimate Member
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Young-Earth Creationist

Post by Jac3510 »

My favorite part was "space means evil." The gnostics would be proud ;)

Keith, let me applaud your efforts, but may I humbly suggest that it is rather dangerous to look for direct revelation from God. Heb 1:1-2 teaches us that God has completed His revelation. The canon is closed. The Holy Spirit may well illuminate a passage to you in that He may show you how it applies directly to a situation in your life, but He will not give you any revelation outside of that which has already been revealed.

Look at it this way--suppose I said that I got a revelation from God, too. But suppose the revelation I got was completely contradictory to yours? On one basis will you say yours is correct and mine is not? Clearly, they cannot both be, for God cannot contradict Himself. Thus, we must all look to what we all have in common, namely, the words of Scripture. It is much harder, I know, to do the work of exegesis. It takes years of study and very careful examinations of both the minutia of Scripture as well as the big picture (so that we keep all of our details in context). But in the end, it is the only way to know God's mind, and best of all, when you finally get an answer to your question, you'll find that you learned so much more along the way than you knew there was to be learned.

God bless :)
Proinsias wrote:I don't think you are hearing me. Preference for ice cream is a moral issue
And that, brothers and sisters, is the kind of foolishness you get people who insist on denying biblical theism. A good illustration of any as the length people will go to avoid acknowledging basic truths.
Gman
Old School

Post by Gman »

I have no clue what this guy is trying to say.. Sorry.
The heart cannot rejoice in what the mind rejects as false - Galileo

We learn from history that we do not learn from history - Georg Friedrich Wilhelm Hegel

Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable, if anything is excellent or praiseworthy, think about such things. -Philippians 4:8
Proinsias
Advanced Senior Member
Christian: No
Creation Position: I don't believe in creation

Post by Proinsias »

Gman wrote:I have no clue what this guy is trying to say.. Sorry.
I think he may be trying to explode our reality tunnels in a discordian sort of way.
Keith
Acquainted Member

Post by Keith »

Jac3510

<<My favorite part was "space means evil." The gnostics would be proud>>

The Great White Brotherhood that Lord Jesus rescued me from claim that the Gnostic heresy along with many more were inspired by them so anything I now say is an anathema to Gnostics

<<Keith, let me applaud your efforts, but may I humbly suggest that it is rather dangerous to look for direct revelation from God. Heb 1:1-2 teaches us that God has completed His revelation. The canon is closed. The Holy Spirit may well illuminate a passage to you in that He may show you how it applies directly to a situation in your life, but He will not give you any revelation outside of that which has already been revealed.>.

Your words show how dangerous it is to think that God's Mind is closed to us. The born again know that Jesus' Holy Spirit is always here to guide and guard us from forces not of God. God's Revelation to me can only be proved by seeing if it contains anything that slants or contradict what Jesus said on earth as recorded in the Four Gospels. Mine doesn't!! I didn't seek a direct Revelation from God and I don't suggest others do. God comes to us when we are ready to repent. The message that I teach is that God is personal to each and everyone of us.

<<Look at it this way--suppose I said that I got a revelation from God, too. But suppose the revelation I got was completely contradictory to yours? On one basis will you say yours is correct and mine is not? Clearly, they cannot both be, for God cannot contradict Himself. Thus, we must all look to what we all have in common, namely, the words of Scripture. It is much harder, I know, to do the work of exegesis. It takes years of study and very careful examinations of both the minutia of Scripture as well as the big picture (so that we keep all of our details in context). But in the end, it is the only way to know God's mind, and best of all, when you finally get an answer to your question, you'll find that you learned so much more along the way than you knew there was to be learned.>>

The examination and arguing about ancient texts is just another trap to stop souls going to God now. The amazing thing about the truly born again is that they gain a knowledge of God in the same way that Jesus' uneducated fishermen disciples also gained it.

<<God bless. Saved by grace alone through faith alone in Christ alone.>>

Thank you but you should reconsider your signature quote because it is an incomplete modern evangelical mantra that eliminates the need for the Ten Commandments and individual soul repentance direct to Lord Jesus. Hope you understand.

Keith
ageofknowledge
Esteemed Senior Member

Post by ageofknowledge »

"The examination and arguing about ancient texts is just another trap to stop souls going to God now. The amazing thing about the truly born again is that they gain a knowledge of God in the same way that Jesus' uneducated fishermen disciples also gained it."

Fascinating hypothesis. So in other words, you are saying that Jewish fishermen who learned directly from Jesus as he walked the earth and spoke to them in a physical body before the coming of the Holy Spirit is how believers today learn. *scratches head*. No that can't be it. So you are saying that we can all get together and write a whole bunch of new books, claim they are from Goddd, and add them to the Bible. Seems that was tried before and it failed miserably... Gnosticism.
ageofknowledge
Esteemed Senior Member

Post by ageofknowledge »

"The examination and arguing about ancient texts is just another trap to stop souls going to God now. The amazing thing about the truly born again is that they gain a knowledge of God in the same way that Jesus' uneducated fishermen disciples also gained it."

Fascinating hypothesis. So in other words, you are saying that Jewish fishermen who learned directly from Jesus as he walked the earth and spoke to them in a physical body before the coming of the Holy Spirit is how believers today learn. *scratches head*. No that can't be it. So you are saying that we can all get together and write a whole bunch of new books, claim they are from Goddd, and add them to the Bible. Seems that was tried before and it failed miserably... Gnosticism.
zoegirl
Old School
Sex: Female

Post by zoegirl »

:ebiggrin:

Nice
"And we take captive every thought to make it obedient to Jesus Christ"
Keith
Acquainted Member

Post by Keith »

ageofknowledge wrote:"The examination and arguing about ancient texts is just another trap to stop souls going to God now. The amazing thing about the truly born again is that they gain a knowledge of God in the same way that Jesus' uneducated fishermen disciples also gained it."

Your hypothesis is based upon your lack of understanding of spirituality. Jesus' disciples were blessed by the Holy Spirit which means that their souls were cleansed of sin and from that moment onwards God dwelt within them which brought to them Holy knowledge to enable them to distinguish what was and what was not of God. The truly born again today have the same experience. The excessive writing and studying of books usually leads to a disbelief in our Creator God as the intellect takes over the heart of our soul.

Keith
Byblos
Old School

Post by Byblos »

Keith,

Could I prevail upon you to stop using large fonts for entire paragraphs? It's a little distracting. It's ok to use it for emphasis but for entire texts it's just too glaring.

Thanks.
Let us proclaim the mystery of our faith: Christ has died, Christ is risen, Christ will come again.

Lord I am not worthy that you should enter under my roof, but only say the word and my soul shall be healed.
Keith
Acquainted Member

Post by Keith »

Byblos wrote:Keith,

Could I prevail upon you to stop using large fonts for entire paragraphs? It's a little distracting. It's ok to use it for emphasis but for entire texts it's just too glaring.

Thanks.
Byblos, I have the opposite problem in that concentrating on your 'normal' text hurts my eyes because I suffer with glaucoma and have to copy messages into Word in order to answer them in a font size I can easily read. However I wouldn't want to offend anyone so I will try to remember to reduce the size in future before submitting a post

Keith
Byblos
Old School

Post by Byblos »

Keith wrote:
Byblos wrote:Keith,

Thanks.
Byblos, I have the opposite problem in that concentrating on your 'normal' text hurts my eyes because I suffer with glaucoma and have to copy messages into Word in order to answer them in a font size I can easily read. However I wouldn't want to offend anyone so I will try to remember to reduce the size in future before submitting a post

Keith
No, no, it's quite alright. It never even dawned on me that there could be an underlying physical reason, for that I apologize. Please post as you see comfortable (and I mean that literally :wink:).
Let us proclaim the mystery of our faith: Christ has died, Christ is risen, Christ will come again.

Lord I am not worthy that you should enter under my roof, but only say the word and my soul shall be healed.
Keith
Acquainted Member

Post by Keith »

Byblos
<<No, no, it's quite alright. It never even dawned on me that there could be an underlying physical reason, for that I apologize. Please post as you see comfortable (and I mean that literally ).>>

That is very kind of you. Thank you.

Keith
waynepii
Valued Member
Creation Position: I don't believe in creation

Post by waynepii »

Why not increase the text size used by your browser? That will make it easier to read everyone's posts.
ageofknowledge
Esteemed Senior Member

Post by ageofknowledge »

The elderly also have this problem with font size. I've noticed my 73 year old father has a big screen and he still squints at it even with glasses. Increasing font size is one way to help. Here's how you do it in Internet Explorer:

To change the text size on a Web page:

Select the Page menu, by pressing ALT+P.
Select Text Size by pressing X.
Select your choice of Largest, Larger, Medium, Smaller, Smallest text sizes by pressing the arrow keys, then ENTER.

Give it a try :)

Returning to regular font now.