Atheist argument that is causing my friend to doubt...

Are you a sincere seeker who has questions about Christianity, or a Christian with doubts about your faith? Post them here to receive a thoughtful response.
Kristoffer
Valued Member
Christian: No
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution

Re: Atheist argument that is causing my friend to doubt...

Post by Kristoffer »

Well, perhaps the Ideal will BECOME something real. That's How I see it, and it has happened like that before for me. I even read in a Book by C.S.Lewis that Christians should do some pretending, by "putting on Christ like clothing", that is acting more Christian Even if they really aren't. He Used to be an atheist, It seems to me he is using the same reasonable strategy that I am.

Now what needs to happen is, for the ideal to be lived up to and for every time I reach the top, the summit to dissipater even higher. Its kind of unobtainable because there is always a higher and better goodness to reach, if there was a human who ever reached that level you would know about it and it would also path the way for others to reach it too.
Silvertusk
Board Moderator
Christian: Yes
Creation Position: Undecided

Post by Silvertusk »

What if you ran out of time and you never reached the next summit?

ST.
Kristoffer
Valued Member

Post by Kristoffer »

The only way you would have enough time to reach a unobtainable goal, is if we had more time than we can realistically be certain of. I can only be totally certain that this is the Only Life I will have, so it is very important to put in Great Effort to try and be worthy, if you fail to try then you have wasted a great chance. :cry:

Think how many people decided not to try because they thought it would not do them any good? :shakehead:
Silvertusk
Board Moderator

Post by Silvertusk »

Kristoffer wrote:The only way you would have enough time to reach a unobtainable goal, is if we had more time than we can realistically be certain of. I can only be totally certain that this is the Only Life I will have, so it is very important to put in Great Effort to try and be worthy, if you fail to try then you have wasted a great chance. :cry:

Think how many people decided not to try because they thought it would not do them any good? :shakehead:
Yes - trying will be a worthy cause and a good life - but still will not be enough. Wouldn't it better to know that yes I will live a good life because God has saved me. God has paid for my sins.
Kristoffer
Valued Member

Post by Kristoffer »

Why should I just let god Take away all that is wrong with me? It is part of who am am, If that means going to hell then I do not wish to find a get out of jail free. If you think you deserve something then why oh why try to escape your fate? :esmile:
Furstentum Liechtenstein
Ultimate Member
Sex: It's Complicated
Creation Position: Young-Earth Creationist

Post by Furstentum Liechtenstein »

Kristoffer wrote:Why should I just let god Take away all that is wrong with me?
You've got this wrong. God doesn't take away all that is wrong with you, he just forgives it. Look at my signature line, Justification is an event, sanctification is a process. Justification speaks of God's forgiveness at the moment of your repentence; sanctification - growing to be more & more like Kristus - is something left up to you.
Kristoffer wrote: If that means going to hell then I do not wish to find a get out of jail free.
If that is your choice, go to hell.

FL
Hold everything lightly. If you don't, it will hurt when God pries your fingers loose as He takes it from you. -Corrie Ten Boom

+ + +

If they had a social gospel in the days of the prodigal son, somebody would have given him a bed and a sandwich and he never would have gone home.

+ + +
zoegirl
Old School
Sex: Female
Creation Position: Day-Age

Post by zoegirl »

Kristoffer wrote:Why should I just let god Take away all that is wrong with me? It is part of who am am, If that means going to hell then I do not wish to find a get out of jail free. If you think you deserve something then why oh why try to escape your fate? :esmile:
Kristoff, what parts of you would God take away that you would not want Him to take away? I am unclear on this and would liek you to clarify this.

He sanctifies us from sin....that would be anger, lust, greed...do you really want to continue in these?
"And we take captive every thought to make it obedient to Jesus Christ"
Kristoffer
Valued Member

Post by Kristoffer »

I try my best to be Free from anger, I have little time for Lust...I have little need for greed, why waste money on vanity? I even use braces to keep my trousers up rather than spending lots to get them tailored. 8)
zoegirl
Old School

Post by zoegirl »

you haven't ansewred my question...what do think god would take away from you?
"And we take captive every thought to make it obedient to Jesus Christ"
cslewislover
Ultimate Member

Post by cslewislover »

Kristoffer, your whole argument here is so hollow, at least for you, I believe. I guess in one way it's not - that you want to work for your perfection. You want to do it yourself - that's called PRIDE. You try to be good, and that IS good. There's nothing wrong with that! But most people find it very hard not to sin in some way. These people eventually want help in overcoming their sin. Maybe you feel you don't need that, but many people do. God's Holy Spirit helps people with this. Anyway, God want's to help, and He wants relationship.

Overall, though, it's silly. You'd rather go to hell? For what reason? As Zoe asked, how do you think God would change you? Lol, you sound like such a stereotypical guy - you want to do everything yourself, and you don't want anyone to change you! :lol: As for my own experience with becoming a Christian, after having lived a while, I found whatever changes there were, were for the better. Chirst hasn't changed my personality, and He still hasn't taken away all my proclivity to sin, but He has helped me a lot; the changes He makes bring you back to the beautiful person you were meant to be, as if there were no sin in the world that had affected you. Like it will be like in Heaven - how will we be like with no sin pounding at us all the time? I think we'll be jolly good! Ok, looking up that Tinkie Winkie image in the other thread affected me . . .
"I believe in Christianity as I believe the sun has risen, not only because I see it, but because by it I see everything else." C.S. Lewis
Gabrielman
Advanced Senior Member

Post by Gabrielman »

I just have one thing to ask... Derrick, where is your friend?
Once I was trapped in a perpetual night, without even a star to light the sky. Now I stand in the glory of the Son, and not even a faint shadow of darkness remains.
derrick09
Valued Member

Post by derrick09 »

Let's see....

He told me he registered yesterday, and I think he has viewed the thread he just hasn't posted yet. I can give you his e-mail address if you like. I don't think he was online much at all yesterday, I normally talk to him on facebook and I didn't see him any yesterday so I don't know.
Image Image Image Image Image Image Image
Gabrielman
Advanced Senior Member

Post by Gabrielman »

derrick09 wrote:Let's see....

He told me he registered yesterday, and I think he has viewed the thread he just hasn't posted yet. I can give you his e-mail address if you like. I don't think he was online much at all yesterday, I normally talk to him on facebook and I didn't see him any yesterday so I don't know.
Well I am just concerned a bit for him, first for his faith, and secondly that by the time he gets to post we will have about 5 pages he has to read through! :lol: But mostly I am worried about his faith. He will be in our prayers for sure!
Once I was trapped in a perpetual night, without even a star to light the sky. Now I stand in the glory of the Son, and not even a faint shadow of darkness remains.
derrick09
Valued Member

Post by derrick09 »

Thank you greatly for being concerned, he actually is in the process of comming up with his own answer, he gave it to me the other day and it sounded really good but he was unsure as far as whether or not it would pass philosophical muster. I guess he must be either trying to answer this as part of an assignment or he's being severly troubled by his atheist piers with this argument. But either way I guess we will see in a few days if he's doing any better. But thanks for being concerned and for praying. y>:D<
Image Image Image Image Image Image Image
Axiomatic
Newbie Member

Post by Axiomatic »

Hello. I'm the friend the opening poster talked about. I am currently finding pretty good responses to the arguments, but I will definitely read through the various post and try to respond.

Thanks.