Original Sin / Sinners by Birth or Not

Are you a sincere seeker who has questions about Christianity, or a Christian with doubts about your faith? Post them here to receive a thoughtful response.
cslewislover
Ultimate Member
Christian: Yes
Sex: Female
Creation Position: Undecided

Re: Original Sin / Sinners by Birth or Not

Post by cslewislover »

I know that CS Lewis did not adhere to the doctrine of Total Depravity, and I liked what I had read about his reasoning, but I don't remember it now so I can't relay it. I could look it up and post on it, however. Part of my own reasoning is that God says we are without excuse in recognizing Him and coming to Him. This puts responsibility on our side, at least a certain level of responsibility. I think that if we were totally depraved, we could not be held responsible at all. If one just looks at our condition, that we're all condemned, I think that's different. I don't think it should refer to depravity, but rebellion.
"I believe in Christianity as I believe the sun has risen, not only because I see it, but because by it I see everything else." C.S. Lewis
jlay
Ultimate Member
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Young-Earth Creationist

Post by jlay »

I see what you are saying. I was always a bit confused at the concept of total depravity. It is afterall a man made concept to understand the position of mankind in relation to God. It is interesting that Arminianism and Calvanism can have very different views of TD. Have you ever heard the TOTAL DEPRAVITY (capital letters) verses total depravity (lower case letters) argument?

Each of us can think of times where we recognized injustice and it brought up a sense of justice within us. Even before we were saved.
-“The Bible treated allegorically becomes putty in the hands of the exegete.” John Walvoord

"I'm not saying scientists don't overstate their results. They do. And it's understandable, too...If you spend years working toward a certain goal and make no progress, of course you are going to spin your results in a positive light." Ivellious
Kristoffer
Valued Member
Christian: No
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution

Post by Kristoffer »

cslewislover wrote:I know that CS Lewis did not adhere to the doctrine of Total Depravity, and I liked what I had read about his reasoning, but I don't remember it now so I can't relay it. I could look it up and post on it, however. Part of my own reasoning is that God says we are without excuse in recognizing Him and coming to Him. This puts responsibility on our side, at least a certain level of responsibility. I think that if we were totally depraved, we could not be held responsible at all. If one just looks at our condition, that we're all condemned, I think that's different. I don't think it should refer to depravity, but rebellion.
His response to that is fine, i have read that response to the doctrine and find it acceptable. But how do you know rebellion is a bad thing? What if we were to rebel against evil leaders? Evil is not good because someone can label it good.
B. W.
Ultimate Member

Post by B. W. »

Kristoffer wrote:
cslewislover wrote:I know that CS Lewis did not adhere to the doctrine of Total Depravity, and I liked what I had read about his reasoning, but I don't remember it now so I can't relay it. I could look it up and post on it, however. Part of my own reasoning is that God says we are without excuse in recognizing Him and coming to Him. This puts responsibility on our side, at least a certain level of responsibility. I think that if we were totally depraved, we could not be held responsible at all. If one just looks at our condition, that we're all condemned, I think that's different. I don't think it should refer to depravity, but rebellion.
His response to that is fine, i have read that response to the doctrine and find it acceptable. But how do you know rebellion is a bad thing? What if we were to rebel against evil leaders? Evil is not good because someone can label it good.
Rebellion - offers no other choice other than Revolution

Rebellion offers only one way to go or rule - by rebellion. When the rebellious / revolutionary gains control they have to be overthrown themselves. Rebellion offers no peace, no real hope, no stability, etc and etc, look at war for example.

I watch my 1.6 year old grandniece and thank God for peace we have and pray that the rebellious do not take it away. The results of the revolution / rebellion are to create chaos, ruin, death, destruction of all that is good — and replace it with only one way to go where the only choice is to feed rebellion to keep the revolution alive.

If you are up on politics — you may understand a bit more the politics of the left…
-
-
-
Science is man's invention - creation is God's
(by B. W. Melvin)

Old Polish Proverb:
Not my Circus....not my monkeys
Kristoffer
Valued Member

Post by Kristoffer »

Very much so the left, thats pretty much most of my countries political spectrum, even the far right here is like your "left". But what you really notice is the polotic of politicians backstabbing eachother to get power. ;)
zoegirl
Old School
Sex: Female
Creation Position: Day-Age

Post by zoegirl »

I was just thinking about some of the books I have read. Many times it is proposed that the source of most evil is that children are taught.

The Lord of the Flies is an interesting read for that. Very direct theme about the direction children will take in the natural state. Spooky book but rather accurate.
"And we take captive every thought to make it obedient to Jesus Christ"
Kristoffer
Valued Member

Post by Kristoffer »

Kurieuo wrote: God's and Satan's.
How do you know which is a liar or lie? How do you know those are the two camps? What if the 2 camps are "just a concept" and "humanity" and why dose whisky make typing requirer so much effort/
Kurieuo
Honored Member
Creation Position: Progressive Creationist

Post by Kurieuo »

Kristoffer wrote:
Kurieuo wrote: God's and Satan's.
How do you know which is a liar or lie? How do you know those are the two camps? What if the 2 camps are "just a concept" and "humanity" and why dose whisky make typing requirer so much effort/
I am working within the framework of Christian theology, so this is revealed in Scripture.