Speed-of-light experiments give baffling result at Cern

Discussion about scientific issues as they relate to God and Christianity including archaeology, origins of life, the universe, intelligent design, evolution, etc.
Reactionary
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Day-Age

Re: Speed-of-light experiments give baffling result at Cern

Post by Reactionary »

narnia4 wrote:I read about this but forgot to post about it. No disrespect to Cern or the people working on that, I think its very interesting... but it occurred to me that "This is what we're supposed to put our faith in before God?" (and yes I know most wouldn't put it that way and many don't believe that). All this hooplah and it turns out to probably be a loose wire!

Its stuff like this that would make it easy to dismiss every new theory that comes up as something that will be replaced in a couple months. That might not be exactly what true, but it does go to show that you should approach this stuff with caution (and I'm sure most scientists agree, they went through the right process here).
Well, I have to give credit to the scientists at CERN for being cautious - from the very beginning they were warning us not to jump on the bandwagon and rather wait until the conclusions are verified, in order to be absolutely sure about them. It's the media that jumps to conclusions and writes headlines about 'revolutionary' discoveries. I agree with your belief that most scientists are cautious, but I think episodes like this only prove that science is conducted by humans who are fallible, so science can not and should not be worshipped and idealized as our only 'objective' instrument in the search for truth.
"Do not give dogs what is sacred; do not throw your pearls to pigs. If you do, they may trample them under their feet, and then turn and tear you to pieces." Matthew 7:6

"For his invisible attributes, namely, his eternal power and divine nature, have been clearly perceived, ever since the creation of the world, in the things that have been made. So they are without excuse." Romans 1:20

--Reactionary
narnia4
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Undecided

Re: Speed-of-light experiments give baffling result at Cern

Post by narnia4 »

Yep, exactly. Its yet another reason why scientism doesn't make sense, even if it were philosophically valid. Could say more but I'll leave it there since most here would agree with me. It is baffling to see people say that science has "disproved God" when its always doublechecking itself, evolving, and is conducted by very fallible humans. Granted this had nothing to do with that, but its a general point.

The scientists at CERN definitely had the right approach to this throughout.
Young, Restless, Reformed