The Law

Discussions about the Bible, and any issues raised by Scripture.
KBCid
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Undecided

Re: The Law

Post by KBCid »

RickD wrote:
Continuously performing actions that are in direct opposition to the spirit of intent in the two greatest commandments without ever turning away from them will cost you your salvation if you die in that state of sinfullness.
Let's assume this is true. Then believers who are addicted to drugs for example, and don't have the power in themselves to beat the addiction, are going to lose their salvation?
1 Corinthians 10:13 No temptation has overtaken you except what is common to mankind. And God is faithful; he will not let you be tempted beyond what you can bear. But when you are tempted, he will also provide a way out so that you can endure it.
It is as if some Christians sit there and wait for the smallest thing that they can dispute and then jump onto it...
The Bible says that we were each given an interpretation – this gift of interpretation is not there so we can run each other into the ground. It is there for our MUTUAL edification.
//www.allaboutgod.net/profiles/blogs/chri ... each-other
KBCid

Post by KBCid »

PaulSacramento wrote:Its about INTENTION.
Why we do what we do, why we believe what we believe.
That is why only God and Christ can judge us because only they know our intent.
Doing the right thing with ulteriour motives is NOT the way, believing in Christ with ulterior motives is not the right way.
This is why Christ said that just the thought of adultery is adultery, He understood intention.
A believer that is sinful and weak, like Rick's example of a drug addict, needs God's grace even more and KNOWING that is what saves him.
He may fail in the act of being "good and righteous", no matter how hard he tries because of his addiction, because of his weakness, but it is his knowledge of how much he needs God';s saving grace AND his efforts to try to overcome his sin, that is what He will be judged on.
You are not addressing my point. If you knowingly perform actions that God has defined as a sin and you don't turn form them will your belief in Christ overcome this?. Except the law had shown me what sin was then I cannot be held accountable. However, God did provide commandments based on the the two greatest commandments to show the various ways you can break those commands and how you should observe them. Christ also magnified those same laws beyond the letter that had been written by the finger of God to show us how far reaching the commands actually were. So with the decalogue as an example of the do's and don't that come from the two greatest commands. If we perform those actions while professing to believe in Christ are we still held blameless at the judgement?

If you have faith in Christ and still perform actions that were considered a sin by the decalogue are you above the law because of faith?
It is as if some Christians sit there and wait for the smallest thing that they can dispute and then jump onto it...
The Bible says that we were each given an interpretation – this gift of interpretation is not there so we can run each other into the ground. It is there for our MUTUAL edification.
KBCid

Post by KBCid »

Gman wrote:Faith and obedience have to be united. They clearly go hand in hand, you can't have one without the other.. The things that you do in serving G-d have to be because you believe in him, and you accept what he says as true and faithful. The unrighteousness never attain heaven.
Hebrews 12:14-15, “Make every effort to live in peace with everyone and to be holy; without holiness no one will see the Lord. Looking carefully lest anyone fall short of the grace of God; lest any root of bitterness springing up cause trouble, and by this many become defiled.”
Colossians 3:5-8 Put to death, therefore, whatever belongs to your earthly nature: sexual immorality, impurity, lust, evil desires and greed, which is idolatry. 6 Because of these, the wrath of God is coming. 7 You used to walk in these ways, in the life you once lived. 8 But now you must also rid yourselves of all such things as these: anger, rage, malice, slander, and filthy language from your lips.
1 Timothy 1:8 We know that the Torah is good, provided one uses it in the way the Torah itself intends.
Titus 1:16, “They profess to know God, but in works they deny Him, being abominable, disobedient, and disqualified for every good work.”
You are absolutely saying the same thing I am. Faith without works is dead. Faith without obedience is dead. The only way to be obedient is to know what God and Christ require of you. Their requirements are sumed up in the two greatest commands and were also defined in a limited fashion in the decalogue. Christ magnified the decalogues limited meaning to help us better obey its intent. So if we say we believe and yet still don't obey the intent of the two greatest commands our faith alone will not save us. This is why revelations has worded this verse the way it is;

Rev 14:12 Here is the patience of the saints: here are they that keep the commandments of God, and the faith of Jesus.

Rev 22:14"Blessed are they that do his commandments, that they may have right to the tree of life, and may enter in through the gates into the city."

John new when he was writing revelation long after Christ had made his sacrifice that obedience counted as well as faith. It is a continuation of the same message over and over. Faith and works go hand in hand. The free gift of salvation has a dependancy on both parts for anyone to be considered a recipient of the free gift.

Hebrews 5:9 "And being made perfect, he became the author of eternal salvation unto all them that obey him;"

Matthew 19:16-19 "And, behold, one came and said unto him, Good Master, what good thing shall I do, that I may have eternal life? And he said unto him, Why callest thou me good? there is none good but one, that is, God: but if thou wilt enter into life, keep the commandments. He saith unto him, Which? Jesus said, Thou shalt do no murder, Thou shalt not commit adultery, Thou shalt not steal, Thou shalt not bear false witness, Honour thy father and thy mother: and, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself."

Christs message was not simply for the Jews, it was a message to mankind.

John 14:15 "If ye love me, keep my commandments."
John 15:10 If ye keep my commandments, ye shall abide in my love; even as I have kept my Father's commandments, and abide in his love.

1 John 2:3,4 "And hereby we do know that we know him, if we keep his commandments. He that saith, I know him, and keepeth not his commandments, is a liar, and the truth is not in him."
1 John 3:24 "And he that keepeth his commandments dwelleth in him, and he in him. And hereby we know that he abideth in us, by the Spirit which he hath given us."
1 John 5:3 "For this is the love of God, that we keep his commandments: and his commandments are not grievous."
PaulSacramento
Board Moderator
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution

Post by PaulSacramento »

KBCid wrote:
PaulSacramento wrote:Its about INTENTION.
Why we do what we do, why we believe what we believe.
That is why only God and Christ can judge us because only they know our intent.
Doing the right thing with ulteriour motives is NOT the way, believing in Christ with ulterior motives is not the right way.
This is why Christ said that just the thought of adultery is adultery, He understood intention.
A believer that is sinful and weak, like Rick's example of a drug addict, needs God's grace even more and KNOWING that is what saves him.
He may fail in the act of being "good and righteous", no matter how hard he tries because of his addiction, because of his weakness, but it is his knowledge of how much he needs God';s saving grace AND his efforts to try to overcome his sin, that is what He will be judged on.
You are not addressing my point. If you knowingly perform actions that God has defined as a sin and you don't turn form them will your belief in Christ overcome this?. Except the law had shown me what sin was then I cannot be held accountable. However, God did provide commandments based on the the two greatest commandments to show the various ways you can break those commands and how you should observe them. Christ also magnified those same laws beyond the letter that had been written by the finger of God to show us how far reaching the commands actually were. So with the decalogue as an example of the do's and don't that come from the two greatest commands. If we perform those actions while professing to believe in Christ are we still held blameless at the judgement?

If you have faith in Christ and still perform actions that were considered a sin by the decalogue are you above the law because of faith?
The issue is WHY you keep those commandments, is it out of faith or because you "want something" from God? ie" salvation?

It isn't about having faith in Christ means you don't have to follow the "big 10" or any other commandment, nope, its actually more about WHY you have faith and why are you following the commandments of God?
Those that live by the law, shall be judged by it, not only on IF they kept it but WHY they kept it.
Those that live by faith, if they are to be judged, will be judged on their faith alone and PART of the judgment will be HOW they demonstrated that faith and WHY.
Those that break the 10 commandments and profess they have faith in Christ will be judged on what they have done, why wouldn't they?
Of course, as humans, we are not perfect and we will sin and break the Law and that is why we NEED God's Grace through Jesus.
KBCid

Post by KBCid »

PaulSacramento wrote:The issue is WHY you keep those commandments, is it out of faith or because you "want something" from God? ie" salvation?
You keep his commands because you love him and desire to be with him. God is offering a place in his kingdom which he has eloquently described to us... if we don't 'want' what he is offering then why should we get it? So yes the children of God 'want something' we definitely want something. Faith is the belief that we can attain what he is offering us by following his word, by following the example he sent us to show us what the proper way is to attain that goal. People run a race to attain a goal, without wanting something what is there to strive for?;

1Co 9:24 Know ye not that they which run in a race run all, but one receiveth the prize? So run, that ye may obtain.
1Co 9:25 And every man that striveth for the mastery is temperate in all things. Now they do it to obtain a corruptible crown; but we an incorruptible.
1Co 9:26 I therefore so run, not as uncertainly; so fight I, not as one that beateth the air:
1Co 9:27 But I keep under my body, and bring it into subjection: lest that by any means, when I have preached to others, I myself should be a castaway.

There are several types of desire one is a selfish form the other unselfish. If we desire to please God then we will do our best to perform what he desires from us.

1Pe 1:13 Wherefore gird up the loins of your mind, be sober, and hope to the end for the grace that is to be brought unto you at the revelation of Jesus Christ;
1Pe 1:14 As obedient children, not fashioning yourselves according to the former lusts in your ignorance:
1Pe 1:15 But as he which hath called you is holy, so be ye holy in all manner of conversation;
1Pe 1:16 Because it is written, Be ye holy; for I am holy.

1Pe 1:22 Seeing ye have purified your souls in obeying the truth through the Spirit unto unfeigned love of the brethren, see that ye love one another with a pure heart fervently...

So if we desire to be with God in the place he has promised to those that love him with all their heart and soul then we will do those things that please him.
PaulSacramento wrote:It isn't about having faith in Christ means you don't have to follow the "big 10" or any other commandment, nope, its actually more about WHY you have faith and why are you following the commandments of God?
Indeed it is the why. Why take the time to perform actions that would please God? Having faith in Christ is to have faith in his sacrifice replacing the old sacrificial law. Having faith in Christ is the belief that by following his example we can become holy as we were commanded. Since you cannot become holy and break the intent of Gods greatest two commands then we can't be holy and break any of the commands that were derived from them which would be the big 10. If we say we love God and yet continue to lie steal cheat murder covet then we are lying because God clearly states that none of these will be allowed into his kingdom. All the 10 commandments are still valid because they hang from the two greatest commandments to love God and our neighbor. Any other command that is derived from them is also still valid.
PaulSacramento wrote:Those that live by the law, shall be judged by it, not only on IF they kept it but WHY they kept it.
Those that live by faith, if they are to be judged, will be judged on their faith alone and PART of the judgment will be HOW they demonstrated that faith and WHY.
Those that lived by the sacrificial laws for their salvation will be judged by it. Those that put their faith in Christ for the remission of sins have faith that we can be saved from the curse of breaking Gods commands. Christ didn't come to remove his fathers definition of sin, he came to provide an acceptable way to overcome the flaw in the temporary system of sacrificing animals to remit the curse of sinning. Sacrificing something outside of ourselves is not an acceptable sacrifice to the living God.

Rom 9:31 But Israel, which followed after the law of righteousness, hath not attained to the law of righteousness.
Rom 9:32 Wherefore? Because they sought it not by faith, but as it were by the works of the law.

Their simple belief that they could sacrifice animals alone to appease God is where the old law fails because it doesn't account for the inward man. In their time they could be all manner of evil inside as long as they didn't show it outside and they believed that this was all the works they had to perform to be saved. This was not a living faith, a living faith comes from the inside and is expressed to the outside. People who are not liars or muderers or coveters on the inside don't exhibit these things on the outside either. We can know them by their fruits. If you say you love God with all your heart and soul and yet outwardly break his commandments then we have a measure to define the truth of the assertion. If we love God then we will honor what he honors and we will do our best to avoid doing what displeases him but the key here is that there must first be love. Just having a desire to keep existing is not enough. We have to want what he wants because we love the things about him that he has shown us.
PaulSacramento wrote:Those that break the 10 commandments and profess they have faith in Christ will be judged on what they have done, why wouldn't they? Of course, as humans, we are not perfect and we will sin and break the Law and that is why we NEED God's Grace through Jesus.
Here you appear to agree with my position. that professing faith in Christ and continuing to disobey the 10 is wrong.
As humans we can err this is a given but if God has shown us what sinning is and we can clearly understand what those things are then how can we be saved by faith if we continue in disobeying what has alread been clearly defined? the 10 commandment were directly derived from the two greatest commandments. The first four commandments describe to us how God desires us to shown our love for him;

1) Thou shalt have no other gods before me.

2) Thou shalt not make unto thee any graven image, or any likeness of any thing that is in heaven above, or that is in the earth beneath, or that is in the water under the earth: Thou shalt not bow down thyself to them, nor serve them: for I the LORD thy God am a jealous God, visiting the iniquity of the fathers upon the children unto the third and fourth generation of them that hate me; And shewing mercy unto thousands of them that love me, and keep my commandments.

3) Thou shalt not take the name of the LORD thy God in vain; for the LORD will not hold him guiltless that taketh his name in vain.

4) Remember the sabbath day, to keep it holy. Six days shalt thou labour, and do all thy work: But the seventh day is the sabbath of the LORD thy God: in it thou shalt not do any work, thou, nor thy son, nor thy daughter, thy manservant, nor thy maidservant, nor thy cattle, nor thy stranger that is within thy gates: For in six days the LORD made heaven and earth, the sea, and all that in them is, and rested the seventh day: wherefore the LORD blessed the sabbath day, and hallowed it.

Each of these four commandments defines for us those things that are important in Gods POV to show that we love him. There is one day and only one day that he made holy and he wants us to keep it holy just as he does. The seventh day sabbath occured on the seventh day of the creation week and our week has the same seventh day still followed by the Jews. If we feel we can choose the first day of the week to keep holy or any other of the six days then we are not following the desire and direct command that God has defined as a method to show him love. We would be putting ourselves in the drivers seat to tell God what we feel is acceptable to us in showing love to him by not following his word as he stated it.

The proper way to instruct others is to tell them that Gods commandments that were originally written in stone must now exist within our hearts;

Heb 8:10 For this is the covenant that I will make with the house of Israel after those days, saith the Lord; I will put my laws into their mind, and write them in their hearts...

Heb 10:26 For if we sin wilfully after that we have received the knowledge of the truth, there remaineth no more sacrifice for sins,
Heb 10:27 But a certain fearful looking for of judgment and fiery indignation, which shall devour the adversaries.
Heb 10:28 He that despised Moses' law died without mercy under two or three witnesses:
Heb 10:29 Of how much sorer punishment, suppose ye, shall he be thought worthy, who hath trodden under foot the Son of God, and hath counted the blood of the covenant, wherewith he was sanctified, an unholy thing, and hath done despite unto the Spirit of grace?

One cannot sin wilfully after knowing about Christ unless the laws and commandments that define what sin is are still in effect, and now with the new covenant Christ has magnified his fathers laws so that they are also considered in effect on the inward man as well and since one of those commands is to 'remember to keep the sabbath day holy' then we should always assert the honoring of that day just as God has defined that we should if we love him.
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member
Creation Position: Day-Age

Post by RickD »

KBC wrote:
One cannot sin wilfully after knowing about Christ unless the laws and commandments that define what sin is are still in effect, and now with the new covenant Christ has magnified his fathers laws so that they are also considered in effect on the inward man as well and since one of those commands is to 'remember to keep the sabbath day holy' then we should always assert the honoring of that day just as God has defined that we should if we love him.

KBC,
First, the 10 commandments were given specifically to the Jews. Why some people keep ignoring that fact just shows they're not correctly interpreting scripture. Romans 14:5-6 tells us that it is between a believer and God, if one wants to hold one day as more important than another.
Romans 14:5-6 nasb 5 One person [c]regards one day above another, another regards every day alike. Each person must be fully convinced in his own mind. 6 He who observes the day, observes it for the Lord, and he who eats, [d]does so for the Lord, for he gives thanks to God; and he who eats not, for the Lord he does not eat, and gives thanks to God.l
John 5:24
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

“A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.”
-Edward R Murrow

St. Richard the Sarcastic--The Patron Saint of Irony
neo-x
Ultimate Member

Post by neo-x »

Col 2:16-23
16 Therefore do not let anyone judge you by what you eat or drink, or with regard to a religious festival, a New Moon celebration or a Sabbath day. 17 These are a shadow of the things that were to come; the reality, however, is found in Christ. 18 Do not let anyone who delights in false humility and the worship of angels disqualify you. Such a person also goes into great detail about what they have seen; they are puffed up with idle notions by their unspiritual mind. 19 They have lost connection with the head, from whom the whole body, supported and held together by its ligaments and sinews, grows as God causes it to grow.

20 Since you died with Christ to the elemental spiritual forces of this world, why, as though you still belonged to the world, do you submit to its rules: 21 “Do not handle! Do not taste! Do not touch!”? 22 These rules, which have to do with things that are all destined to perish with use, are based on merely human commands and teachings. 23 Such regulations indeed have an appearance of wisdom, with their self-imposed worship, their false humility and their harsh treatment of the body, but they lack any value in restraining sensual indulgence.
KBcid
But after faith has come, we are no longer under a tutor [the law] (Gal. 3:25)
For Christ is the end of the law for righteousness to everyone who believes (Rom. 10:4)
If righteousness comes through the law, then Christ died in vain (Gal. 2:21)
You have become estranged from Christ, you who attempt to be justified by law; you have fallen from grace (Gal. 5:4)"

that the law is not made for a righteous person, but for the lawless and insubordinate, for the ungodly and for sinners, for the unholy and profane” (1 Tim. 1:9).

Simple as that, take it or leave it, all up to you. If we love God and our neighbour we have fulfilled the entire law (Matt. 22:37-40; Rom. 13:8-10). That includes the command on the Sabbath as well, because in Christ we also enter the rest of the Lord. Is Christ, the Holy Spirit, and God’s love not sufficient? Do you want to supplement it?
The spiritual blessing which we obtain is not from the Jewish nation, but from the seed of Abraham, which is Christ.

Why do so many Christians return to the weak and insufficient elements of the law by observing days, months, seasons and years? (Gal. 4:9-10). These practices refer to weekly Sabbaths, new moons, sabbatical years and other Old Testament festivals, given to Jews. You're pursuing the shadows of the law after having received the final fulfilling of God’s work of grace through Jesus Christ in the NT.

"Abide in Me, and I in you” (John 15:4)
He didn't say, abide in the law and let the law abide in you. When I came to this forum for the first time, I advocated the same what you are doing right now and yet it was only that I misunderstood grace. To be honest I am tired of carrying burdens which I can not carry, I gave them to Christ. I thank God for that. I thank God that he ended the ministry of the flesh and words which only killed and had a glory which could not match the glory of Christ. The ministry of the stone tablets which was done away with. If you keep it, its up to you to uphold it too. You can not follow the law and then ask God to be judged by grace?

Let me ask you, when you stand in front of God, would you like to be judged by how you fulfilled the law and the commandments or would you like to be judged by grace?
It would be a blessing if they missed the cairns and got lost on the way back. Or if
the Thing on the ice got them tonight.

I could only turn and stare in horror at the chief surgeon.
Death by starvation is a terrible thing, Goodsir, continued Stanley.
And with that we went below to the flame-flickering Darkness of the lower deck
and to a cold almost the equal of the Dante-esque Ninth Circle Arctic Night
without.

//johnadavid.wordpress.com
Gman
Old School

Post by Gman »

Always a pleasure to witness more Torah bashing on the forum... G-d giving His commandments in LOVE and we, and I mean all of us, destroying His words out of rebellion, ignorance, or something else... y:-?

Unfortunately there is nothing in the NT that calls for the destruction of the Laws or covenants given to us in the Tanach or OT as you call them.. They simply don't exist.. New breeds of Torah believing Christians are on the rise to uphold G-d's instructions as required by the prophets.

1. But after faith has come, we are no longer under a tutor [the law] (Gal. 3:25) - This verse does NOT imply the Law. The NIV puts it this way.. "Now that this faith has come, we are no longer under a guardian," meaning we are no longer under the curse of the law but not destroying the law itself.
2. For Christ is the end of the law for righteousness to everyone who believes (Rom. 10:4) - Now look at that same verse in the NIV, "Christ is the culmination of the law so that there may be righteousness for everyone who believes." The greek word "telos" not meaning an end or finish but more of an aim, purpose or goal.
3. If righteousness comes through the law, then Christ died in vain (Gal. 2:21) - Again nothing here that says that G-d's commandments are now void. Taking a legalistic approach to G-d's commandments to attain righteousness from G-d was never the way to attain salvation. It has always been attained through Yeshua.
4. You have become estranged from Christ, you who attempt to be justified by law; you have fallen from grace (Gal. 5:4). - Amen.. We don't become justified by doing the Law. That was completed by Christ, but we don't throw away G-d's instructions either. Not if we truly love Him anyway.
5. That the law is not made for a righteous person, but for the lawless and insubordinate, for the ungodly and for sinners, for the unholy and profane” (1 Tim. 1:9). - Again, nothing here again that says that we shouldn't obey Torah. We can still sin even if we are saved Hebrews 6:6.

As for loving thy neighbor as thyself to "fulfill" the law, we don't even have a working definition of love outside of G-d's commandments... Therefore we NEED G-d's instructions or commandments in order to find out what it actually means to love... If we don't, we will simply define love our own way.
The heart cannot rejoice in what the mind rejects as false - Galileo

We learn from history that we do not learn from history - Georg Friedrich Wilhelm Hegel

Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable, if anything is excellent or praiseworthy, think about such things. -Philippians 4:8
Gman
Old School

Post by Gman »

I would like to add.. I often hear about this "grace" being free thing? Well if this grace means that I have to work seven days of the week, then I don't want this grace... Keep it away from me, I don't want it. y[-(

We learn from history that we do not learn from history - Georg Friedrich Wilhelm Hegel

Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable, if anything is excellent or praiseworthy, think about such things. -Philippians 4:8
neo-x
Ultimate Member

Post by neo-x »

1. But after faith has come, we are no longer under a tutor [the law] (Gal. 3:25) - This verse does NOT imply the Law. The NIV puts it this way.. "Now that this faith has come, we are no longer under a guardian," meaning we are no longer under the curse of the law but not destroying the law itself.
2. For Christ is the end of the law for righteousness to everyone who believes (Rom. 10:4) - Now look at that same verse in the NIV, "Christ is the culmination of the law so that there may be righteousness for everyone who believes." The greek word "telos" not meaning an end or finish but more of an aim, purpose or goal.
3. If righteousness comes through the law, then Christ died in vain (Gal. 2:21) - Again nothing here that says that G-d's commandments are now void. Taking a legalistic approach to G-d's commandments to attain righteousness from G-d was never the way to attain salvation. It has always been attained through Yeshua.
4. You have become estranged from Christ, you who attempt to be justified by law; you have fallen from grace (Gal. 5:4). - Amen.. We don't become justified by doing the Law. That was completed by Christ, but we don't throw away G-d's instructions either. Not if we truly love Him anyway.
5. That the law is not made for a righteous person, but for the lawless and insubordinate, for the ungodly and for sinners, for the unholy and profane” (1 Tim. 1:9). - Again, nothing here again that says that we shouldn't obey Torah. We can still sin even if we are saved Hebrews 6:6.
It says and it means the law you are just try trying to avoid the plain meaning...the law is Torah. You are speaking from two sides. Torah is not Torah and the law is not law. We are not under the law, before Christ, law was the tutor, when Christ came we are no longer under the tutor. On one hand you admit its the Torah and then in the next you say it isn't. Just try and read your words. The law is not for those in Christ, it was for people whose hearts did not know grace.
Always a pleasure to witness more Torah bashing on the forum... G-d giving His commandments in LOVE and we, and I mean all of us, destroying His words out of rebellion, ignorance, or something else...
Perfect strawmen G. The only one who is bashing, here is you. Calling those who do not follow Torah as rebels, ignorants.
I would like to add.. I often hear about this "grace" being free thing? Well if this grace means that I have to work seven days of the week, then I don't want this grace... Keep it away from me, I don't want it.
More Strawman's, well good luck with that G.
It would be a blessing if they missed the cairns and got lost on the way back. Or if

without.

Gman
Old School

Post by Gman »

neo-x wrote:It says and it means the law you are just try trying to avoid the plain meaning...the law is Torah. You are speaking from two sides. Torah is not Torah and the law is not law. We are not under the law, before Christ, law was the tutor, when Christ came we are no longer under the tutor. On one hand you admit its the Torah and then in the next you say it isn't. Just try and read your words. The law is not for those in Christ, it was for people whose hearts did not know grace.
No.. Technically speaking the whole Bible is Torah.. From Genesis to Revelation. And if you think that Christ didn't give us any commandments then technically speaking we don't have to follow Him either... After all, His commandments are evil curses..
Gman wrote:Always a pleasure to witness more Torah bashing on the forum... G-d giving His commandments in LOVE and we, and I mean all of us, destroying His words out of rebellion, ignorance, or something else...
neo-x wrote:Perfect strawmen G. The only one who is bashing, here is you. Calling those who do not follow Torah as rebels, ignorants.
Right... That is why I said WE... I said that "all of us" are guilty of destroying and breaking G-d's commandments.. Maybe you are not one of them then.. I confess that I'm a covenant breaker and have no problem with confessing the truth.
I would like to add.. I often hear about this "grace" being free thing? Well if this grace means that I have to work seven days of the week, then I don't want this grace... Keep it away from me, I don't want it.
neo-x wrote:More Strawman's, well good luck with that G.
Well it's true... I don't want to work seven days a week... Keep that legalistic "free grace" away from me.

neo-x
Ultimate Member

Post by neo-x »

No.. Technically speaking the whole Bible is Torah
y8-| ...You are practically equating the gospel of Christ with some Jewish laws. Your focus does not seem to be on Christ at all, its on his Jewishness and how big a law abider he was, you are still fascinated by the shadows and that is after you have the substance in Christ, of which the Torah was a mere shadow of. Even though you are not a Jew and as a matter of fact, even orthodox Jews won't accept messianic Jews. I am not sure how this qualifies you to behave like one.

without.

neo-x
Ultimate Member

Post by neo-x »

"Well it's true... I don't want to work seven days a week... Keep that legalistic "free grace" away from me.
"
what is legalistic about grace? that is the biggest oxymoron I have heard in recent times. You have been saved by grace and you are attaching laws to that grace, and you are calling grace, legalistic? wow, you are so enamored by Zionism and messianic Judaism that the simple words of the gospel won't satisfy you.

without.

PaulSacramento
Board Moderator
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution

Post by PaulSacramento »

Each of these four commandments defines for us those things that are important in Gods POV to show that we love him. There is one day and only one day that he made holy and he wants us to keep it holy just as he does. The seventh day sabbath occured on the seventh day of the creation week and our week has the same seventh day still followed by the Jews. If we feel we can choose the first day of the week to keep holy or any other of the six days then we are not following the desire and direct command that God has defined as a method to show him love. We would be putting ourselves in the drivers seat to tell God what we feel is acceptable to us in showing love to him by not following his word as he stated it
Yes, BUT the thing is that YOU are deciding how to interpret the sabbath based on tradition because, as per your quote, NO DAY is mentioned as the sabbath other than:
4) Remember the sabbath day, to keep it holy. Six days shalt thou labour, and do all thy work: But the seventh day is the sabbath of the LORD thy God: in it thou shalt not do any work, thou, nor thy son, nor thy daughter, thy manservant, nor thy maidservant, nor thy cattle, nor thy stranger that is within thy gates: For in six days the LORD made heaven and earth, the sea, and all that in them is, and rested the seventh day: wherefore the LORD blessed the sabbath day, and hallowed it.
6 days we work and rest the 7th.
Not: work from Sunday till Friday at sunset and rest till Saturday at sunset.
The the Jews chose to make their "work week" from what WE call Sunday to Friday is irrelevant to the command to work 6 and rest on the 7th.
A person working from Monday to Saturday is still working 6 days and rest on the 7th.

There is no DAY specified in the commandment and to observe it on Saturday is simply an "appeal to tradition" which is FINE but it shouldn't be used to imply "correct observance" by CHRISTIANS since there is NO appeal to a tradition of the sabbath in Christianity.
FlawedIntellect
Established Member

Post by FlawedIntellect »

It seems that people are forgetting something.
First off, the Torah is not just the law. The law is merely a part of the Torah, not the whole thing. Don't confuse the Law for the Torah. So, depending on context, a person saying we're not bound by the law might be trying to say that we're not bound by the /letter/ of the law, and not discarding the spirit (the purpose, meaning, intent behind) of the law. [Correct me if I'm wrong on this, but... if the Torah refers to the Hebrew Old Testament as a whole, then this is the case.]
Second, no one is saying to throw it out. It still is useful for teaching and instruction and a source of wisdom, and it shows what happened when God's people ignored the law. It also shows the history of God's relationship with people and how there were times when he was strict and others where he was merciful. Plus it records events and prophecies building up to Christ Jesus's arrival as the Messiah and the purpose he serves. [in short, the backbone of how Jesus came to us.] The point is that the letter of the law and the punishments that come with it are no longer needed, when one has a heart for God and genuinely seeks Him and what He has to say. The spirit of the law, however, is still there.
Third off, what is being meant is not the removal of the law entirely, but rather addressing the law to show the spirit of it and its purpose and intention. No longer does there need to be stoning to death or animal sacrifices, or following rituals. Just a personal relationship with God and acknowledging his rules, the right and wrong, and to steer away from the wrong. The point wasn't to condemn people but to free them from a burden they can't handle. God is merciful and forgiving, and expects us to understand that, yes, there are things he sees as wrong and that yes, there are things he sees as right. The Law and the Prophets have served their purpose and be fulfilled.
Fourth, while nothing is wrong with observing the rituals and holidays, the point is that salvation doesn't come from these rituals and holidays, so it's important to place God as more important, which was the whole point in the first place. If you want to demonstrate your love for God by celebrating holidays, go ahead. But don't treat the holidays like your salvation. Treat them more as a gift and a blessing. The "icing on the cake." Jesus sought to break the barrier between Jew and Gentile, and not to further separate them, to bring them closer to Him and a relationship of love and humility and obedience rather than just of obedience. Just remember that God's objective is to save people, not to condemn them.
Fifth, don't force the rituals and holidays on others. We're bound by the spirit of the law and by forgiveness in Christ, not by rituals and holidays. They've served their purpose, and they still serve a purpose, but they aren't a necessity.