Science article about evangelicals and catholics

Discussion about scientific issues as they relate to God and Christianity including archaeology, origins of life, the universe, intelligent design, evolution, etc.
digging
Familiar Member
Christian: Yes
Creation Position: Undecided

Re: Science article about evangelicals and catholics

Post by digging »

I must say I am in the camp that believes theres a big difference between trusting faith and doctrinal views.

I understand it is hard for some Christians to believe if's possible for others to be Christian if they believe differently about the nature of Jesus. I was thinking about this and recalled a healing account that I think sheds some light on how many factual details God requires from believers to be blessed by him.

John 5
When Jesus saw him lying there, and knew that he had already been a long time in that condition, He said to him, "Do you wish to get well ?"7 The sick man answered Him, "Sir, I have no man to put me into the pool when the water is stirred up, but while I am coming, another steps down before me." 8Jesus said to him, "Get up, pick up your pallet and walk."9Immediately the man became well, and picked up his pallet and began to walk. Now it was the Sabbath on that day. 10So the Jews were saying to the man who was cured, "It is the Sabbath, and it is not permissible for you to carry your pallet." 11 But he answered them, "He who made me well was the one who said to me, 'Pick up your pallet and walk.'" 12 They asked him, "Who is the man who said to you, 'Pick up your pallet and walk '?" 13 But the man who was healed did not know who it was

Clearly there were some details about Jesus that this believer never had yet clearly he did have faith in God and thus was healed based on his faith rather than on his knowledge.

Digging
Furstentum Liechtenstein
Ultimate Member
Sex: It's Complicated
Creation Position: Young-Earth Creationist

Post by Furstentum Liechtenstein »

digging wrote:Clearly there were some details about Jesus that this believer never had yet clearly he did have faith in God and thus was healed based on his faith rather than on his knowledge.
Yes, you are right. However, the event in John 5 occured before Jesus had paid the price for our sins by dying a sinner's death. We are no longer there. The crippled man at the pool was saved under the same dispensation as Abraham & Moses, see Jn 3:3, in that he was born again. All OT saints were ''saved on credit'', to use a modern image. Jesus' sacrifice paid for their sins as well.

Now, we are under Jn 3:14 so that anyone who recognizes His sacrifice will be called righteous, Jn 3:15. Non-believers today who consciously reject the Gospel are damned.

Re-read John 3 from 3:1 to 3:21 and think about all this.

FL :amen:
Hold everything lightly. If you don't, it will hurt when God pries your fingers loose as He takes it from you. -Corrie Ten Boom

+ + +

If they had a social gospel in the days of the prodigal son, somebody would have given him a bed and a sandwich and he never would have gone home.

+ + +
digging
Familiar Member
Creation Position: Undecided

Post by digging »

I feel the point is more connected to faith itself.

The men of old had faith, Abraham still had plain old faith.

The arrangement that God made for forgiveness changed but faith has always been the same.

I hope you also are understanding that I see the man that was healed as a Jewish believer in God at that time, but that total detailed knowledge was not required by God for him to be blessed.

I was comparing this to the some what dividing that occurs today with Christians over doctrines. Many times Christians begin to believe Christianity is based on 'believing in the Trinity' or other strong creed.

This healing lesson I feel shows other wise.

Digging
Furstentum Liechtenstein
Ultimate Member
Sex: It's Complicated
Creation Position: Young-Earth Creationist

Post by Furstentum Liechtenstein »

digging wrote:I was comparing this to the some what dividing that occurs today with Christians over doctrines.
Oh...sorry, I had not understood! Thanks for clearing that up.

FL ;)
Hold everything lightly. If you don't, it will hurt when God pries your fingers loose as He takes it from you. -Corrie Ten Boom

+ + +

If they had a social gospel in the days of the prodigal son, somebody would have given him a bed and a sandwich and he never would have gone home.

+ + +