Inner witness of the Holy Spirit.

Discussions amongst Christians about life issues, walking with Christ, and general Christian topics that don't fit under any other area.
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Day-Age

Re: Inner witness of the Holy Spirit.

Post by RickD »

1over137 wrote:Ok.

But I thought on skeptic who is close to me and knows I have not visited any self-help seminar or such.
Of course Hana. If God is within you, and His love is shown through you, it's possible that skeptic can see the genuine change in you.
John 5:24
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

“A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.”
-Edward R Murrow

St. Richard the Sarcastic--The Patron Saint of Irony
CazPerth
Recognized Member
Sex: Female
Creation Position: Undecided

Post by CazPerth »

RickD wrote:

But I thought on skeptic who is close to me and knows I have not visited any self-help seminar or such.
Of course Hana. If God is within you, and His love is shown through you, it's possible that skeptic can see the genuine change in you.
My husband has seen the change in me, he tells me I am easier to get on with and he sees my happiness but he remains a skeptic. I pray the HS will rub off on him eventually y[-o<
Some say The HS is not experienced as an emotion but I think I do experience that deep sense of peace and "knowing" as an emotion akin to Joy. The other night I was praying on a question and all of a sudden I broke into a smile and and said "Thank you!" I was not even aware of being given an answer just a kind of certainty and joy, to me it feels like being told I am loved.

God bless
Carolyn
Kurieuo
Honored Member
Creation Position: Progressive Creationist

Post by Kurieuo »

CazPerth wrote:
RickD wrote:

My husband has seen the change in me, he tells me I am easier to get on with and he sees my happiness but he remains a skeptic. I pray the HS will rub off on him eventually y[-o<
Some say The HS is not experienced as an emotion but I think I do experience that deep sense of peace and "knowing" as an emotion akin to Joy. The other night I was praying on a question and all of a sudden I broke into a smile and and said "Thank you!" I was not even aware of being given an answer just a kind of certainty and joy, to me it feels like being told I am loved.

God bless
Carolyn
Try get him checking out some of William Craig's stuff.

If he gets hooked on apologetics then you'll be in for a good ride. ;)

Reasonable Faith is a good book, if he can get past the first few chapters. But there are also video debates you could keep pummeling him with.
"Whoever will call on the name of the Lord will be saved." (Romans 10:13)
JackHectorman
Recognized Member

Post by JackHectorman »

`
/bump

Great thread and very interesting. I was going to start a new thread titled How Do I Know Christianity Is True, and post some striking passages from William Lane' Craig's
Reasonable Faith, but I did a quick search using the word "Craig" and found this old thread, and decided to post the passages here since they harmonize with this thread so well.

Here they are:

William Lane Craig On One Aspect of Christian Apologetics: How Do I Know Christianity Is True.
Craig's answer is basically the title of this thread, namely the "Inner Witness Of The Holy Spirit."

A few excerpts from Craig's text in chapter one of Reasonable Faith:

"...the inner testimony of the Holy Spirit is even greater...although arguments and evidence may be used to support the believer's faith, they are never properly the basis for that faith. For the believer, God is not the conclusion of a syllogism; he is the living God ... dwelling within us. How then does the believer know that Christianity is true? He knows because of the self-authenticating witness of God's Spirit who lives within him..."pg.46

"...the magisterial use of reason occurs when reason stands over and above the gospel like a magistrate and judges it on the basis of arguments and evidence. The ministerial use of logic and reason occurs when reason submits to and serves the gospel. In light of the Spirit's witness, only the ministerial use of reason is legitimate. Philosophy is rightly the handmaid of theology ... A person who knows that Christianity is true on the basis of the witness of the Spirit may also have a sound apologetic which reinforces or confirms for him the Spirit's witness, but it does not serve as the basis of his belief..." pgs. 47-48

"...Therefore the role of rational argumentation in knowing Christianity to be true is the role of a servant. A person knows Christianity is true because the Holy Spirit tells him it is true, and while argument and evidence can be used to support this conclusion, they cannot legitimately overrule it..." pg.51

Btw, I thought this last WLC quote was quite interesting.

"...In doing evangelism we must never let apologetics distract us from our primary aim of communicating the gospel. I'd say that with most people there's no need to use apologetics at all.." pg.57

(I typed in the above quotes so I don't have a link, but I know from extensive reading over here that quite a few are very likely to have a copy Of Craig's Reasonable Faith.)

Cheers.

♫ ♪ ♫ ♪

PS
You folks have a very interesting site over here, much appreciated. I read a lot of threads here. One can learn a lot by reading threads at this site.

`
"For you know the grace of our Lord Jesus Christ, that though he was rich, yet for your sake he became poor, so that you through his poverty might become rich." 2 Cor. 8:9
Silvertusk
Board Moderator

Post by Silvertusk »

Welcome to the board Jack.
JackHectorman
Recognized Member

Post by JackHectorman »

Silvertusk wrote:Welcome to the board Jack.
Thank you for the welcome Silvertusk, I appreciate it.

♫ ♪
"For you know the grace of our Lord Jesus Christ, that though he was rich, yet for your sake he became poor, so that you through his poverty might become rich." 2 Cor. 8:9