Does Evolution and Science draw people away from God?

Discussion about scientific issues as they relate to God and Christianity including archaeology, origins of life, the universe, intelligent design, evolution, etc.
abelcainsbrother
Ultimate Member
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Gap Theory

Re: Does Evolution and Science draw people away from God?

Post by abelcainsbrother »

Here is how I see evolution,the bible teaches us that there were giants on this earth both before Noah's flood and after Noah's flood,well think of David and Goliath,Goliath was a giant taunting God,evolution is a giant in our day and just like in Davids time there were people afraid of Goliath,willing to tolerate him,David was not one of them,and today in our time Christians have been fighting Goliath with the wrong tactics or creation theories and it has had very little effect on evolution the giant in oypur day taunting us and our God to the point that today Goliath is still here,it is time to pull out the Gap theory and actually defeat Goliath or evolution.Only the Gap theory can do it out of all of the other creation theories that have tried and failed.The Gap theory proved God's word true before Charles Darwin wrote his book in 1859 and it can do it today and evolution will be defeated finally.
Hebrews 12:2-3 Looking unto Jesus the author and finisher of our faith;who for the joy that was set before him endured the cross,despising the shame,and is set down at the right hand of the throne of God.

2nd Corinthians 4:4 In whom the god of this world hath blinded the minds of them which believe not,lest the light of this glorious gospel of Christ,who is the image of God,should shine unto them.
Danieltwotwenty
Ultimate Member
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution

Post by Danieltwotwenty »

abelcainsbrother wrote:Here is how I see evolution,the bible teaches us that there were giants on this earth both before Noah's flood and after Noah's flood,well think of David and Goliath,Goliath was a giant taunting God,evolution is a giant in our day and just like in Davids time there were people afraid of Goliath,willing to tolerate him,David was not one of them,and today in our time Christians have been fighting Goliath with the wrong tactics or creation theories and it has had very little effect on evolution the giant in oypur day taunting us and our God to the point that today Goliath is still here,it is time to pull out the Gap theory and actually defeat Goliath or evolution.Only the Gap theory can do it out of all of the other creation theories that have tried and failed.The Gap theory proved God's word true before Charles Darwin wrote his book in 1859 and it can do it today and evolution will be defeated finally.
This doesn't explain why millions of people through science and evolution have been drawn to God, if this is Goliath as you say then why has this occurred? It seems like there is some dissonance between what you claim and what is actually happening in reality and I wonder how you account for that.
1Tim1:15-17
Here is a trustworthy saying that deserves full acceptance: Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners of whom I am the worst. But for that very reason I was shown mercy so that in me, the worst of sinners, Christ Jesus might display his immense patience as an example for those who would believe in him and receive eternal life. Now to the King eternal, immortal, invisible, the only God, be honor and glory for ever and ever.Amen.
abelcainsbrother
Ultimate Member

Re: Does Evolution and Science draw peoplea away from God?

Danieltwotwenty wrote:
abelcainsbrother wrote:Here is how I see evolution,the bible teaches us that there were giants on this earth both before Noah's flood and after Noah's flood,well think of David and Goliath,Goliath was a giant taunting God,evolution is a giant in our day and just like in Davids time there were people afraid of Goliath,willing to tolerate him,David was not one of them,and today in our time Christians have been fighting Goliath with the wrong tactics or creation theories and it has had very little effect on evolution the giant in oypur day taunting us and our God to the point that today Goliath is still here,it is time to pull out the Gap theory and actually defeat Goliath or evolution.Only the Gap theory can do it out of all of the other creation theories that have tried and failed.The Gap theory proved God's word true before Charles Darwin wrote his book in 1859 and it can do it today and evolution will be defeated finally.a
This doesn't explain why millions of people through science and evolution have been drawn to God, if this is Goliath as you say then why has this occurred? It seems like there is some dissonance between what you claim and what is actually happening in reality and I wonder how you account for that.
I don't see it like you do,evolution has increased atheism in our society and since Chri
Hebrews 12:2-3 Looking unto Jesus the author and finisher of our faith;who for the joy that was set before him endured the cross,despising the shame,and is set down at the right hand of the throne of God.

2nd Corinthians 4:4 In whom the god of this world hath blinded the minds of them which believe not,lest the light of this glorious gospel of Christ,who is the image of God,should shine unto them.
abelcainsbrother
Ultimate Member

Danieltwotwenty wrote:
abelcainsbrother wrote:Here is how I see evolution,the bible teaches us that there were giants on this earth both before Noah's flood and after Noah's flood,well think of David and Goliath,Goliath was a giant taunting God,evolution is a giant in our day and just like in Davids time there were people afraid of Goliath,willing to tolerate him,David was not one of them,and today in our time Christians have been fighting Goliath with the wrong tactics or creation theories and it has had very little effect on evolution the giant in oypur day taunting us and our God to the point that today Goliath is still here,it is time to pull out the Gap theory and actually defeat Goliath or evolution.Only the Gap theory can do it out of all of the other creation theories that have tried and failed.The Gap theory proved God's word true before Charles Darwin wrote his book in 1859 and it can do it today and evolution will be defeated finally.a
I don't see it like you do,evolution has increased atheism in our society and since Christians have had no answer really to refute it certian Christians have learned how to deal with it,and have accepted it despite the lack of real evidence,have accepted it nonetheless then make it fit into God's word.But they must deny certain parts of the bible and have compromised God's word saying the bible is not a science book,we don't have to take genesis literally,they choose which to accept and which not to even when no scientist can demonstrate life evolves.

neo-x
Ultimate Member

Post by neo-x »

abelcainsbrother wrote:
Danieltwotwenty wrote:
I don't see it like you do,evolution has increased atheism...
And that is a very good, wonderful thing, ACB.
It would be a blessing if they missed the cairns and got lost on the way back. Or if
the Thing on the ice got them tonight.

I could only turn and stare in horror at the chief surgeon.
Death by starvation is a terrible thing, Goodsir, continued Stanley.
And with that we went below to the flame-flickering Darkness of the lower deck
and to a cold almost the equal of the Dante-esque Ninth Circle Arctic Night
without.

//johnadavid.wordpress.com
Danieltwotwenty
Ultimate Member

Post by Danieltwotwenty »

abelcainsbrother wrote:I don't see it like you do,evolution has increased atheism in our society

Has it though? Other than assertion is there any actual proof that atheism is on the increase? I think over all Christianity on a world wide scale is having a boom and the only reason atheism seems to be on the rise in western countries is that more people are openly atheist, back a few years it could be dangerous for an atheist to be out in the open with their beliefs or at the very least it would make their life difficult, so naturally there were a lot more pew warmers back then, so it stands to reason that western countries have an increase in atheism in recent years, but only due to being open about it. This is a case of correlation does not always equal causation, I mean sure there may be some who decided atheism due to some sort of scientific discovery but by and large I think they would be a minority. There are plenty of other reasons why the church is in decline in the west which I won't post for now as I don't want to get bogged down in to much information.
and since Christians have had no answer really to refute it certian Christians have learned how to deal with it
I will ignore this part as it is just biased opinion and not based on any facts whatsoever.
,and have accepted it despite the lack of real evidence,
Hey if you can provide a model with the explanatory power that evolution has and it can make predictions that evolution can and we can test, repeat and observe those predictions then show me. Until that time based on the current evidence, evolution seems to be the winning theory that actually works.
have accepted it nonetheless then make it fit into God's word.
Well that all depends on which T.E you ask, this is a bit of a generalisation and not one that is applicable to me.

But they must deny certain parts of the bible
This is just biased opinion again, we only deny your interpretation of the Bible, we could easily say the exact same thing about yourself as Jac has already shown you that your interpretation may not be correct. After all we believe God's word and not yours and we don't believe God's word says what you think it means. :ewink:

and have compromised God's word saying the bible is not a science book
If the Bible was meant to be a science book as you claim then why are we making new discoveries everyday, if all we needed was the Bible there would be no discoveries to be made. For a science book it isn't very comprehensive, I would expect better from an omnipotent God. I think we can safely conclude that being a science book was never it's intention.
,we don't have to take genesis literally,
Agreed :pound: Seriously though, the people who's language it is written in don't even take it literally, I have spoken to quite a few Rabbi's and Jewish people over the years and not one of them so far has said it has to be literal. I am sure there are Jewish people who do take it literally, but I have yet to meet them.
they choose which to accept and which not to even when no scientist can demonstrate life evolves.
You do realise that humans are still evolving, I actually have an extra tendon in my wrist, I am like 1 in 100,000(I think, can't remember exact numbers) (It's actually not a beneficial trait and causes me grief, especially on the guitar). We are slowly losing our wisdom teeth, our fingers are getting longer, our brains believe it or not are actully shrinking and our height is shrinking, there are probably many, many other things that have changed for the human race in recorded history. We have evolved, we are still evolving currently and there is a mountain of evidence for it.
1Tim1:15-17
Here is a trustworthy saying that deserves full acceptance: Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners of whom I am the worst. But for that very reason I was shown mercy so that in me, the worst of sinners, Christ Jesus might display his immense patience as an example for those who would believe in him and receive eternal life. Now to the King eternal, immortal, invisible, the only God, be honor and glory for ever and ever.Amen.
Starhunter
Creation Position: Young-Earth Creationist

Post by Starhunter »

Danielnottwenty said "You do realise that humans are still evolving..."
So Jesus was primitive then?

I believe that humans are devolving...
neo-x
Ultimate Member

Post by neo-x »

there is no such thing as devolving...lol. atleast don't build strawmen.
It would be a blessing if they missed the cairns and got lost on the way back. Or if
the Thing on the ice got them tonight.

I could only turn and stare in horror at the chief surgeon.
Death by starvation is a terrible thing, Goodsir, continued Stanley.
And with that we went below to the flame-flickering Darkness of the lower deck
and to a cold almost the equal of the Dante-esque Ninth Circle Arctic Night
without.

//johnadavid.wordpress.com
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member
Creation Position: Day-Age

Post by RickD »

ACB,

From reading your posts here, I think you are conflating evolution(change over time) with what Biologos calls Evolutionism.
Maybe this article will show you what some Theistic Evolutionists believe. That way if you want, you can argue against what they actually believe. Instead of lumping all evolution into the same belief system as Evolutionism, or evolution without God.

http://biologos.org/questions/biologos-id-creationism
John 5:24
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

“A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.”
-Edward R Murrow

St. Richard the Sarcastic--The Patron Saint of Irony
Audie
Ultimate Member
Christian: No
Sex: Female
Creation Position: I don't believe in creation

Post by Audie »

Starhunter wrote:
Danielnottwenty said "You do realise that humans are still evolving..."
So Jesus was primitive then?

I believe that humans are devolving...
There is no reason to think that people of 50,000 or more years ago were in any sense 'primitive" compared to people of today.

Their culture of course, was. No fact time unless they really were face to face. :D

IF people of Jesus' time-presumably including including Him, tho the genetics are a bit hard to fathom for one so born- had been in any possible sense been physically primitive compared to today's people that would still have nothing to do with the sort of mind they'd have. .

For that matter-
Neanderthal had a larger brain, on the average, than H sapiens.

Mental capacity is far more to the point in cultural / intellectual matters than are
fine details of anatomy and physiology.

On what basis do you say you think humans are "devolving"? Im sure you have an interesting thought but I dont know what it is.
Audie
Ultimate Member

Post by Audie »

RickD wrote:ACB,

From reading your posts here, I think you are conflating evolution(change over time) with what Biologos calls Evolutionism.
Maybe this article will show you what some Theistic Evolutionists believe. That way if you want, you can argue against what they actually believe. Instead of lumping all evolution into the same belief system as Evolutionism, or evolution without God.

By "evolution without God" would you mean, evolution without God tweaking and micro-managing, or without any God in existence at all?
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by RickD »

Audie wrote:

By "evolution without God" would you mean, evolution without God tweaking and micro-managing, or without any God in existence at all?
From the link:
...Evolutionism is the atheistic worldview that says life developed without God and without purpose...
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

-Edward R Murrow

Audie
Ultimate Member

Post by Audie »

RickD wrote:
Audie wrote:

From the link:
...Evolutionism is the atheistic worldview that says life developed without God and without purpose...
Id never heard of either Dawkins or evolutionism until I saw various religions sorts making a big deal about them, and, as you suggested, conflating ideas from those pinpoint sources with all the science that goes into ToE.

I wish you success in convincing (all) your fellow Christians on this distinction.
PaulSacramento
Board Moderator

Post by PaulSacramento »

The FACT that many scientists and lay people that do believe in evolution, some are even clergy!, shows that the answer to this thread:
Does Evolution and Science draw people away from God?

Is a resounding NO.
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by RickD »

Getting back to Melanie's quote in Daniel's original post:
melanie wrote:
The fact of the matter is, no matter how many Christians tie in evolution into their beliefs, it has had a massive detrimental effect on people relying on God instead of man to answer the question of 'why are we here, how did we get here ect'.
Mel, if you're still paying attention to this thread, I'd like you to expound on this. On the surface, I disagree. Unless I'm mistaken, evolution makes no claims about why we are here, or how we got here. Now of course each person who believes in evolution has his own belief of origins. But, I think that issue is separate from the evolution of existing life.

-Edward R Murrow