Why do 'Christians' find it hard to believe that God made earth and all that is in it in 6 days

Discussion about scientific issues as they relate to God and Christianity including archaeology, origins of life, the universe, intelligent design, evolution, etc.
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Day-Age

Re: Why do 'Christians' find it hard to believe that God made earth and all that is in it in 6 days

Post by RickD »

jpbg33 wrote:Ok I am assuming that Adam and Eve were like us and it didn't take Satan 1,000's of years to get them to eat the fruit. So you are right I am putting some of my thoughts in there, but I am not reading in more time for the creation. So I do not know exactly how old earth is because I do not know how long Adam and Eve were in the garden before they ate of the fruit.

But I know they didn't come from monkeys because God said He made them from dirt.
:pound: please :pound: stop. I can't :pound: breathe! :pound: :pound: :pound: :pound: :pound:
John 5:24
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

“A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.”
-Edward R Murrow

St. Richard the Sarcastic--The Patron Saint of Irony
abelcainsbrother
Ultimate Member
Creation Position: Gap Theory

Re: Why do 'Christians' find it hard to believe that God made earth and all that is in it in 6 days

Post by abelcainsbrother »

jpbg33 wrote:Ok I am assuming that Adam and Eve were like us and it didn't take Satan 1,000's of years to get them to eat the fruit. So you are right I am putting some of my thoughts in there, but I am not reading in more time for the creation. So I do not know exactly how old earth is because I do not know how long Adam and Eve were in the garden before they ate of the fruit.

But I know they didn't come from monkeys because God said He made them from dirt.

where is your prof that Christians believed earth was millions of years old
before Charles Darwin and isn't this the same person that said that natural selection could not be true?
I learned the truth from doing research and disovering the real true history that YEC's suppress,you see YEC's always imply that the earth was discovered old because of evolution and even imply that those who accept an old earth accept evolution ideas,when this is not true because even before Charles Darwin wrote "On the origgin of species" in 1859 scientists like William Buckland believed and taught the earth was millions of years old yet rejected early evolutionary ideas that were around before Charles Darwin wrote his book on the theory of evolution.William Buckland became Oxford's very first geology professor in 1818 and was teaching the Gap theory at Oxford and he died about 3 years before Charles Darwin wrote " On the origin of species" in 1859.
Hebrews 12:2-3 Looking unto Jesus the author and finisher of our faith;who for the joy that was set before him endured the cross,despising the shame,and is set down at the right hand of the throne of God.

2nd Corinthians 4:4 In whom the god of this world hath blinded the minds of them which believe not,lest the light of this glorious gospel of Christ,who is the image of God,should shine unto them.
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by RickD »

RickD wrote:

:pound: please :pound: stop. I can't :pound: breathe! :pound: :pound: :pound: :pound: :pound:
Ok,

Now that I've picked myself off the floor from rofling, I can respond to your post.
Ok I am assuming that Adam and Eve were like us and it didn't take Satan 1,000's of years to get them to eat the fruit. So you are right I am putting some of my thoughts in there, but I am not reading in more time for the creation. So I do not know exactly how old earth is because I do not know how long Adam and Eve were in the garden before they ate of the fruit.
Thank you for admitting that the bible doesn't tell us the age of the earth.
But I know they didn't come from monkeys because God said He made them from dirt
IKR! How can we come from monkeys, if monkeys still exist? This [sarcasm]definitely[/sarcasm] disproves evolution, right?
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

-Edward R Murrow

theophilus
Valued Member
Creation Position: Young-Earth Creationist

Post by theophilus »

RickD wrote:If God made Adam as a fully grown man, that doesn't mean Adam looked old. There are other things that make people look old besides being fully grown.
He would have appeared old to someone who saw him but didn't know that he had been created directly by God rather than being conceived and then developing in his mother's womb like other people. The physical indications that he was in fact young would have required a closer examination and would probably not have been noticed by most people who saw him. Even someone who noticed the evidence he was young might not realize the implications and would still continue to believe Adam was old.

The same thing is true of the earth. To someone who believes it was formed entirely by natural processes it appears to be old. There is evidence that shows it can't really be as old as most people think but it takes work to discover this evidence and so most people aren't aware of it. Here is a sample of some of that evidence:

https://answersingenesis.org/evidence-f ... ung-earth/
God wants full custody of his children, not just visits on Sunday.
abelcainsbrother
Ultimate Member

Let me make it clear that I am not trying to be a know-it-all but it does anger me that YEC's imply things about other Christians that are not true and even re-write history and all to defend their young earth interpretation.Now to be fair and this is probably where YEC's would attack Christian scientists like William Buckland if they were revealing the true history is that WilliamBuckland at that time seen no evidence for Noah's flood and soif YEC's were truthful they would probably fault William Buckland for this.
Hebrews 12:2-3 Looking unto Jesus the author and finisher of our faith;who for the joy that was set before him endured the cross,despising the shame,and is set down at the right hand of the throne of God.

2nd Corinthians 4:4 In whom the god of this world hath blinded the minds of them which believe not,lest the light of this glorious gospel of Christ,who is the image of God,should shine unto them.
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by RickD »

Theophilus wrote:

He would have appeared old to someone who saw him but didn't know that he had been created directly by God rather than being conceived and then developing in his mother's womb like other people. The physical indications that he was in fact young would have required a closer examination and would probably not have been noticed by most people who saw him. Even someone who noticed the evidence he was young might not realize the implications and would still continue to believe Adam was old.
Adam would not appear old to anyone who didn't have preconceived notions about his age. If I told you to study Adam, and tell me his age, you'd have to notice he doesn't have the signs of age that a normal man has. But it's really just a meaningless discussion anyways. There's no way to prove it either way.

The same thing is true of the earth. To someone who believes it was formed entirely by natural processes it appears to be old. There is evidence that shows it can't really be as old as most people think but it takes work to discover this evidence and so most people aren't aware of it. Here is a sample of some of that evidence:

I see your AIG pseudoscience, and raise you some real science:
http://www.patheos.com/blogs/danthropol ... -debunked/

If you want to continue believing a website(AIG) who constantly misrepresents others, go ahead. They're really a joke. And if you want to believe in YEC, you probably could find a much more honest website to back your position. It's disgusting how intellectually dishonest they are.

-Edward R Murrow

abelcainsbrother
Ultimate Member

theophilus wrote:
RickD wrote:If God made Adam as a fully grown man, that doesn't mean Adam looked old. There are other things that make people look old besides being fully grown.

I'm not trying to be rude and I know it is hard to clear your mind of YEC if you've been intoYEC for along time but I would encourage you to research this out like I did to know the truth,nobody that I know of that believes in an old earth thinks God created Adam and Eve as babies,etc so I do not see your point.It is based on the evidence in the earth and the amount of time it takes star light to reach the earth,etc that others believe the earth is old.

I do believe that because Adam was the very first human,he would've had brand new genes and DNA and so would look alot better than humans do today.Remember he lived almost 1000 years.

EssentialSacrifice
Advanced Senior Member
Creation Position: Undecided

Post by EssentialSacrifice »

Pretty much all of it. Just seems like another feeble attempt to try to hold on to one's beliefs by coming up with strange ways to reconcile the two of them. AIG, ICR, Discovery Institute, Reasons To Believe, Biologos have all attempted and have all failed, imo.
Sorry,this is too easy an out... "because i said so" :pound: , what specific part of the presentation did you find a feeble attempt to try to hold on to one's beliefs ? I am familiar with your other references in comparison to the Sixday article, but I've never seen another presentation like theirs from anyone else, so it's not so easy to see your strange way of reconciling the various institutions who you've named, especially when you go in to no explanation other than all attempted and have all failed, imo., without an actual fact based point, just opinion from you.
Trust the past to God’s mercy, the present to God’s love, and the future to God’s providence. -St Augustine
abelcainsbrother
Ultimate Member

JLAfan2001 wrote:
which part was unconvincing ?
Pretty much all of it. Just seems like another feeble attempt to try to hold on to one's beliefs by coming up with strange ways to reconcile the two of them. AIG, ICR, Discovery Institute, Reasons To Believe, Biologos have all attempted and have all failed, imo.
Evolutionists as well as alot of Christians have not experienced yet what the Gap theory can do to the theory of evolution which is defeat it.I mean even YEC's can debate evolutionists to a draw where it comes down to who a person believes rather than real evidence for either side.

Kurieuo
Honored Member
Creation Position: Progressive Creationist

Post by Kurieuo »

jpbg33 wrote:I can see where you could say that no one was there so how knows how long a day was but the sun and moon were made early on in creation. So the 24 hour days we have now had to start then and if you notice God demonstrated that each day was no more than 24 hours long by saying referring to the day the morning and evening being a day. The only thing I can think of that would give y'all support would be that in geneses it doesn't say directly that it was consecutive days (I do believe that it was 6 consecutive day, but I am trying not to argue if evolution is wrong or is right but I am just trying to see where y'all are coming from.). So it could have been that he made earth on day 1 and then 1000 or so years later He made something else so no and so forth though out the 6 days. Which would have been 6 days but with space in between.
Hi jpbg33,
I don't know if you followed a discussion elsewhere, but I respectfully direct you to this thread: Do YECs accept "ordinary days"?
Things are not so rosy for at least mainstream YEC interpretations like AiG advocates.
"Whoever will call on the name of the Lord will be saved." (Romans 10:13)
abelcainsbrother
Ultimate Member

This is a question for YEC's that accept the 6 days of creation were ordinary days,on what day were angels created? because angels are althroughout the bible,so you cannot exclude them,and yet it does not mention angels being created,and yet we know they were and if the heavens and earth are 6-10,000 years old and Genesis 1:1 is the start of everything created inthe 6 days then when were angels created?When did Lucifer a good angel rebel against God causing a third of the angels to rebel with him?What did Lucifer do when he rebelled against God?This cannot be skimmed over if YEC's insist the heavens and earth are 6-10,000 years old.Any creation interpretation that cannot answer these questions is lacking imo.
Drop of Lucifer
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=-zsIwUjMtmg

RickD
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by RickD »

abelcainsbrother wrote:This is a question for YEC's that accept the 6 days of creation were ordinary days,on what day were angels created? because angels are althroughout the bible,so you cannot exclude them,and yet it does not mention angels being created,and yet we know they were and if the heavens and earth are 6-10,000 years old and Genesis 1:1 is the start of everything created inthe 6 days then when were angels created?When did Lucifer a good angel rebel against God causing a third of the angels to rebel with him?What did Lucifer do when he rebelled against God?This cannot be skimmed over if YEC's insist the heavens and earth are 6-10,000 years old.Any creation interpretation that cannot answer these questions is lacking imo.
Drop of Lucifer
Genesis begins with the story of the creation of "the heavens and earth". When angels were created wasn't mentioned, so we don't know. We do know that Satan was created, and fell, sometime before he tempted Eve. But otherwise the text doesn't say. I really don't see how the issue of how long before Adam, the angels were created, has anything to do with anything. It only makes a difference if one wants to read "Gap Theory" into the text.

There, I said it. Now don't turn this thread into another promotion of the Gap Theory please. :D

-Edward R Murrow

abelcainsbrother
Ultimate Member

RickD wrote:
abelcainsbrother wrote:This is a question for YEC's that accept the 6 days of creation were ordinary days,on what day were angels created? because angels are althroughout the bible,so you cannot exclude them,and yet it does not mention angels being created,and yet we know they were and if the heavens and earth are 6-10,000 years old and Genesis 1:1 is the start of everything created inthe 6 days then when were angels created?When did Lucifer a good angel rebel against God causing a third of the angels to rebel with him?What did Lucifer do when he rebelled against God?This cannot be skimmed over if YEC's insist the heavens and earth are 6-10,000 years old.Any creation interpretation that cannot answer these questions is lacking imo.
Drop of Lucifer
Genesis begins with the story of the creation of "the heavens and earth". When angels were created wasn't mentioned, so we don't know. We do know that Satan was created, and fell, sometime before he tempted Eve. But otherwise the text doesn't say. I really don't see how the issue of how long before Adam, the angels were created, has anything to do with anything. It only makes a difference if one wants to read "Gap Theory" into the text.

There, I said it. Now don't turn this thread into another promotion of the Gap Theory please. :D
I'm just trying to get people to think about these things.These are my own questions that I came up with myself when I was researching and studying different things over time and realizing things I had overlooked.I just think they are good questions to ask.I probably should not have added that last sentence to the questions though.These are original questions I came up with myself.I've never heard another Gap theorist ask these questions.

theophilus
Valued Member
Creation Position: Young-Earth Creationist

Post by theophilus »

abelcainsbrother wrote:This is a question for YEC's that accept the 6 days of creation were ordinary days,on what day were angels created? because angels are althroughout the bible,so you cannot exclude them,and yet it does not mention angels being created,and yet we know they were and if the heavens and earth are 6-10,000 years old and Genesis 1:1 is the start of everything created inthe 6 days then when were angels created?
The Bible doesn't tell us when they were created but it was before the earth was created.
Where were you when I laid the foundation of the earth?
Tell me, if you have understanding.
Who determined its measurements—surely you know!
Or who stretched the line upon it?
On what were its bases sunk,
or who laid its cornerstone,
when the morning stars sang together
and all the sons of God shouted for joy?
(Job 38:4-7 ESV)
The six days record the creation of the earth. God has told us nothing about the creation of the rest of the universe. Here is a thread I started on this subject:

http://discussions.godandscience.org/vi ... =7&t=39624
God wants full custody of his children, not just visits on Sunday.
abelcainsbrother
Ultimate Member

theophilus wrote:
abelcainsbrother wrote:This is a question for YEC's that accept the 6 days of creation were ordinary days,on what day were angels created? because angels are althroughout the bible,so you cannot exclude them,and yet it does not mention angels being created,and yet we know they were and if the heavens and earth are 6-10,000 years old and Genesis 1:1 is the start of everything created inthe 6 days then when were angels created?
The Bible doesn't tell us when they were created but it was before the earth was created.
Where were you when I laid the foundation of the earth?
Tell me, if you have understanding.
Who determined its measurements—surely you know!
Or who stretched the line upon it?
On what were its bases sunk,
or who laid its cornerstone,
when the morning stars sang together
and all the sons of God shouted for joy?
(Job 38:4-7 ESV)
The six days record the creation of the earth. God has told us nothing about the creation of the rest of the universe. Here is a thread I started on this subject:

http://discussions.godandscience.org/vi ... =7&t=39624
That Job passage proves that all angels including Lucifer when he was a good angel sang and shouted for joy.Yet the way you read Genesis 1 causes you to have to make things up,or ignore the facts about angels and Lucifer's rebellion because once God places Adam and Eve inthe garden Satan has already rebelled and is out to decieve them.No serious bible student can just gloss over this.