Rob Bell AFTER Hell

Discussions surrounding the various other faiths who deviate from mainstream Christian doctrine such as LDS and the Jehovah's Witnesses.
Nessa
Ultimate Member
Christian: Yes
Creation Position: Undecided

Re: Rob Bell AFTER Hell

Post by Nessa »

jenna wrote:
Nessa wrote:If death (for a non Christian) is just having the lights eternally turned out then to me that doesnt seem like much of a punishment.
it is a just punishment, because God resurrects them, shows them everything they will never have, and then takes away their life in fire. God is a just God, not a cruel and unusual punishment God.
But that is assuming everyone would care, isnt it?
jenna
Make me a Sammich Member
Sex: Female
Creation Position: Gap Theory

Post by jenna »

Nessa wrote:
jenna wrote:
Nessa wrote:If death (for a non Christian) is just having the lights eternally turned out then to me that doesnt seem like much of a punishment.
it is a just punishment, because God resurrects them, shows them everything they will never have, and then takes away their life in fire. God is a just God, not a cruel and unusual punishment God.
maybe some wont, but since the bible says there will be weeping and gnashing of teeth, it is obvious most will. and good morning! :wave:
some things are better left unsaid, which i generally realize after i have said them
Nessa
Ultimate Member

Post by Nessa »

jenna wrote:
Nessa wrote:
jenna wrote:
Nessa wrote:If death (for a non Christian) is just havinga the lights eternally turned out then to me that doesnt seem like much of a punishment.
maybe some wont, but since the bible says there will be weeping and gnashing of teeth, it is obvious most will. and good morning! :wave:
I hope its not moring cos I have a glass of wine infront of me :P

Actually its 11:38pm friday night.

I have always believed in the traditonal version of hell but I'm open to other interpretations
jenna
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by jenna »

Nessa wrote:
jenna wrote:
Nessa wrote:
jenna wrote:
Nessa wrote:If death (for a non Christian) is just havinga the lights eternally turned out then to me that doesnt seem like much of a punishment.

I have always believed in the traditonal version of hell but I'm open to other interpretations
haha, here it is nearly 6 am. as far as the wine, well its always 5 oclock somewhere.
some things are better left unsaid, which i generally realize after i have said them
Nessa
Ultimate Member

Post by Nessa »

jenna wrote:
Nessa wrote:
jenna wrote:
Nessa wrote:
jenna wrote: it is a just punishment, because God resurrects them, shows them everything they will never have, and then takes away their life in fire. God is a just God, not a cruel and unusual punishment God.

haha, here it is nearly 6 am. as far as the wine, well its always 5 oclock somewhere.
Are you a morning person?
jenna
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by jenna »

Nessa wrote:
jenna wrote:
Nessa wrote:
jenna wrote:
Nessa wrote: But that is assuming everyone would care, isnt it?

if you mean do i get up early, then yes. but i usually take me an afternoon nap. :sleep:
Nessa
Ultimate Member

Post by Nessa »

jenna wrote:
Nessa wrote:
jenna wrote:
Nessa wrote:
jenna wrote: maybe some wont, but since the bible says there will be weeping and gnashing of teeth, it is obvious most will. and good morning! :wave:

if you mean do i get up early, then yes. but i usually take me an afternoon nap. :sleep:
I wake early, but fail on the getting up :lol: . Tho viritually, in cyberspace, im 'up'at 3am at times..

(darn ph :econfused: )
jenna
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by jenna »

Nessa wrote:
jenna wrote:
Nessa wrote:
jenna wrote:
Nessa wrote: I hope its not moring cos I have a glass of wine infront of me :P

I wake early, but fail on the getting up :lol: . Tho viritually, in cyberspace, im 'up'at 3am at times..

(darn ph :econfused: )
:lol:
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Day-Age

Post by RickD »

jenna wrote:
RickD wrote:
jenna wrote:
RickD wrote:
jenna wrote:
...the other problem is that eternal life is the reward for the saved, while eternal death is the punishment...
Where in the Bible is eternal life considered a reward?
um, John 3:16 is a start...
It's not a reward. It's an unmerited gift.

You do understand the difference, don't you?
yes i understand the difference, and perhaps you are right on this one. but be that as it may, the girt is not the main subject here, but rather the punishment
The girt?

A girt is a horizontal structural member in a framed wall. What does a girt have to do with anything? Are you trying to bring the fact that Jesus was a carpenter, into the conversation? :mrgreen:
John 5:24
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

“A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.”
-Edward R Murrow

St. Richard the Sarcastic--The Patron Saint of Irony
jenna
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by jenna »

RickD wrote:
jenna wrote:
RickD wrote:
jenna wrote:
RickD wrote: Where in the Bible is eternal life considered a reward?
um, John 3:16 is a start...
It's not a reward. It's an unmerited gift.

You do understand the difference, don't you?
yes i understand the difference, and perhaps you are right on this one. but be that as it may, the girt is not the main subject here, but rather the punishment
The girt?

A girt is a horizontal structural member in a framed wall. What does a girt have to do with anything? Are you trying to bring the fact that Jesus was a carpenter, into the conversation? :mrgreen:
well that is certainly one way to derail the thread i suppose. other than Nessa and i talking about wine and naps, lol. y/:]
theophilus
Valued Member
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Young-Earth Creationist

Post by theophilus »

jenna wrote:the punishment you describe here still does not fit with what the bible says. The bible says DEATH is the punishment, not eternal burning in hell or eternal darkness.
But there is more than one kind of death. All of us will experience physical death unless we are still alive when the rapture takes place. But there is another kind of death waiting for those who are unsaved.
Then I saw a great white throne and him who was seated on it. From his presence earth and sky fled away, and no place was found for them. And I saw the dead, great and small, standing before the throne, and books were opened. Then another book was opened, which is the book of life. And the dead were judged by what was written in the books, according to what they had done. And the sea gave up the dead who were in it, Death and Hades gave up the dead who were in them, and they were judged, each one of them, according to what they had done. Then Death and Hades were thrown into the lake of fire. This is the second death, the lake of fire. And if anyone's name was not found written in the book of life, he was thrown into the lake of fire.
(Revelation 20:11-15 ESV)
Earlier the beast and the false prophet had been thrown into the lake of fire.
And the beast was captured, and with it the false prophet who in its presence had done the signs by which he deceived those who had received the mark of the beast and those who worshiped its image. These two were thrown alive into the lake of fire that burns with sulfur.
(Revelation 19:20 ESV)
Here is what happened to them there.
The devil who had deceived them was thrown into the lake of fire and sulfur where the beast and the false prophet were, and they will be tormented day and night forever and ever.
(Revelation 20:10 ESV)
Physical death means that the body stops functioning. Eternal death in the lake of fire is neverending suffering.
God wants full custody of his children, not just visits on Sunday.
B. W.
Ultimate Member

Post by B. W. »

Page two and page three from this old 2007 thread:

http://discussions.godandscience.org/vi ... 8&start=15
jenna wrote:And to Pierac. I think you have said it all, on the subject of "hell". I also believe that the dead stay dead until the resurrection. I also do not believe that "hellfire" is eternal, nor that sinners will burn forever in the lake of fire.
Jenna, can you refresh my memory do you still hold to you above stated position on the afterlife?

I cannot recall where we at with this over the years you have posted here.

Also Jac's response on page three of that old 2007 thread is fitting to re-post here...for you...
Jac3510 wrote:Jen,

To answer the original question, may I suggest that:

1. Hell (Sheol/Hades) is a temporary place of the dead. No one will spend eternity there. Today, when an unrighteous person dies, they immediately go there to await the Great White Throne Judgment;

2. The GWTJ comes at the end of the Millennial Reign (see Rev 20:11ff), at which time, the unrighteous are resurrected and cast into the Lake of Fire (Gehenna).

3. Today, when a born again believer dies, he immediately goes to be with Jesus in paradise (which is now in Heaven), where he waits to be resurrected at the beginning of the Millennial Reign. The order of the Resurrection of the Righteous is: 1) Christ, 2) OT Saints, 3) Those dead "in Christ"; 4) those living at the time of the Rapture (or Second Coming, depending on your school of thought).

In all cases, both heaven and hell are temporary places that the dead wait until their respective resurrections. The righteous dead will be resurrected to live eternally with Christ on the New Earth. The unrighteous dead will be resurrected to be cast into the Lake of Fire. And, for the record, I believe that those who will suffer in the Lake of Fire will do so forever.

God bless
-
-
-
Science is man's invention - creation is God's
(by B. W. Melvin)

Old Polish Proverb:
Not my Circus....not my monkeys
jenna
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by jenna »

B. W. wrote:Page two and page three from this old 2007 thread:

http://discussions.godandscience.org/vi ... 8&start=15
jenna wrote:And to Pierac. I think you have said it all, on the subject of "hell". I also believe that the dead stay dead until the resurrection. I also do not believe that "hellfire" is eternal, nor that sinners will burn forever in the lake of fire.
Jenna, can you refresh my memory do you still hold to you above stated position on the afterlife?

I cannot recall where we at with this over the years you have posted here.

Also Jac's response on page three of that old 2007 thread is fitting to re-post here...for you...
Jac3510 wrote:Jen,

To answer the original question, may I suggest that:

1. Hell (Sheol/Hades) is a temporary place of the dead. No one will spend eternity there. Today, when an unrighteous person dies, they immediately go there to await the Great White Throne Judgment;

2. The GWTJ comes at the end of the Millennial Reign (see Rev 20:11ff), at which time, the unrighteous are resurrected and cast into the Lake of Fire (Gehenna).

3. Today, when a born again believer dies, he immediately goes to be with Jesus in paradise (which is now in Heaven), where he waits to be resurrected at the beginning of the Millennial Reign. The order of the Resurrection of the Righteous is: 1) Christ, 2) OT Saints, 3) Those dead "in Christ"; 4) those living at the time of the Rapture (or Second Coming, depending on your school of thought).

In all cases, both heaven and hell are temporary places that the dead wait until their respective resurrections. The righteous dead will be resurrected to live eternally with Christ on the New Earth. The unrighteous dead will be resurrected to be cast into the Lake of Fire. And, for the record, I believe that those who will suffer in the Lake of Fire will do so forever.

God bless
-
-
-
yes i still hold to the same belief. I was wondering how long it would take for you to come around. good to see you again. :wave: and i do not agree with Jac, as in when a person dies, they are dead. thats it, until they are resurrected. they dont go immediately anywhere. if they did, then there would be no need whatsoever for a resurrection.
jenna
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by jenna »

theophilus wrote:
jenna wrote:the punishment you describe here still does not fit with what the bible says. The bible says DEATH is the punishment, not eternal burning in hell or eternal darkness.
But there is more than one kind of death. All of us will experience physical death unless we are still alive when the rapture takes place. But there is another kind of death waiting for those who are unsaved.
Then I saw a great white throne and him who was seated on it. From his presence earth and sky fled away, and no place was found for them. And I saw the dead, great and small, standing before the throne, and books were opened. Then another book was opened, which is the book of life. And the dead were judged by what was written in the books, according to what they had done. And the sea gave up the dead who were in it, Death and Hades gave up the dead who were in them, and they were judged, each one of them, according to what they had done. Then Death and Hades were thrown into the lake of fire. This is the second death, the lake of fire. And if anyone's name was not found written in the book of life, he was thrown into the lake of fire.
(Revelation 20:11-15 ESV)
Earlier the beast and the false prophet had been thrown into the lake of fire.
And the beast was captured, and with it the false prophet who in its presence had done the signs by which he deceived those who had received the mark of the beast and those who worshiped its image. These two were thrown alive into the lake of fire that burns with sulfur.
(Revelation 19:20 ESV)
Here is what happened to them there.
The devil who had deceived them was thrown into the lake of fire and sulfur where the beast and the false prophet were, and they will be tormented day and night forever and ever.
(Revelation 20:10 ESV)
Physical death means that the body stops functioning. Eternal death in the lake of fire is neverending suffering.
there is a problem with this however. the bible tells us that the dead "know not anything" Ecc 9:5 . tell me, what would be the point of eternal torment if they dont even know they are suffering?
B. W.
Ultimate Member

Post by B. W. »

jenna wrote:yes i still hold to the same belief. I was wondering how long it would take for you to come around. good to see you again. :wave: and i do not agree with Jac, as in when a person dies, they are dead. thats it, until they are resurrected. they dont go immediately anywhere. if they did, then there would be no need whatsoever for a resurrection.
Thank you Jenna for clarifying that as I know time can change points of view.

Nice to hear from you again as it has be awhile!

What specifically from Jac's post do you not agree with?
-
-
-
Science is man's invention - creation is God's
(by B. W. Melvin)

Old Polish Proverb:
Not my Circus....not my monkeys