What is the point of life?

Healthy skepticism of ALL worldviews is good. Skeptical of non-belief like found in Atheism? Post your challenging questions. Responses are encouraged.
IceMobster
Christian: No
Sex: Male

Re: What is the point of life?

Post by IceMobster »

PaulSacramento wrote: The point of life is there is nothing after?
Heck son !

Here you go:

“The greatest joy a man can know is to conquer his enemies and drive them before him. To ride their horses and take away their possessions, to see the faces of those who were dear to them bedewed with tears, and to clasp their wives and daughters in his arms.”

Thanks Genghis ;)
Are you dumb? I said I do not understand people who say that there is nothing after this life, not that the point of life (for me) is that there is nothing after.
Audie wrote:No "LOL" involved.

We are taught that to do what you feel like doing instead of what you know to be right is the essence of self indulgence. Following how one feels not what is rational.

For some it is hedonism, yes. It takes many forms, tho, no? Being a jerk, being disloyal, selfish, cruel, those are all indulgence.

Emotions give power to doing what is right, they are not to be left in charge.
What does this have to do with my question? Can you stop saying irrelevant things(to the topic) and explain why do you live if you feel there is nothing after this life.
How is it rational to believe that we are a product of coincidence (and lots of it) and that our only purpose is... oh wait, we don't have it, right?
B. W. wrote: Then it ends and there is no point to it all anyway y:-?
-
-
-
Exactly.
Even though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I fear no evil, for You are with me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rGOXMf6yDCU

Fecisti nos ad te, Domine, et inquietum est cor nostrum donec requiescat in te!
PaulSacramento
Board Moderator
Christian: Yes
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution

Post by PaulSacramento »

Are you dumb? I said I do not understand people who say that there is nothing after this life, not that the point of life (for me) is that there is nothing after.
Why do I even bother?
B. W.
Ultimate Member

Post by B. W. »

Kenny wrote:
IceMobster wrote:
Kenny wrote:
IceMobster wrote:
Kenny wrote: I was talking about the journey of LIFE. The destination of life is not important, it is the journey that is.Ken
I know you were talking about the journey of life. I used allegories which debunk the statement that journey is more important than the destination.
Think of it this way. Using your scenario, if I were going to meet my girlfriend, rather than get into my car, fighting traffic, dealing with the complications and distractions of driving across town to meet her, I would rather snap my finger and immediately be with her in an instant, because it is the destination that is important, not the journey.

If we apply this logic to life, rather than dealing with the complications and distractions of living, wouldn’t it be better to just off yourself right now if you had a guaranteed ticket to Heaven or whatever destination you are aiming for? So why are you not killing yourself right now if it is the destination that is so important?

Ken
Fine, then it is safe to conclude that both journey and destination are important. So, you just contradicted yourself ("It's about the journey; not the destination.")?
First of all let me be clear; I am only speaking for myself, not you or anybody else.
I am saying when it comes to life's journey, that is what is important; the destination is not. When it comes to all the journeys, destinations, and all the other activities we engage in while on this journey of life, they are all as important as we make them.

Ken
Then it ends and there is no point to it all anyway y:-?
-
-
-

And to Ice,

This is for you. Don't kill yourself. There is eternal life and a new life to be had in Jesus Christ. You uncovered the atheism dilemma - they defend nothingness because in the end, the universe will someday implode.

You have a conscience, feelings, emotions, intelligence, and personality that makes you different from all other human beings and far different than animals. God made you to be able to have these so you can find your way back to him because we abandoned God. He did not abandon us. The Lord, thru Jesus Christ, came to reconcile you back to Himself so you will find the true purpose for your life that only He will lead you to discover once you come to him jsut as you are without one plea of deal making on your part.

So don't give up and simple pray, "Lord Jesus I come to you and not sure you are really real so reveal yourself and make me yours, born again, of your eternal spirit, release me of my craziness, faults, shame, dysfunctions, depression, and take me, I am yours. Forgive for not believing in you - reconcile me back to you and never let me go, fill me with thy Holy Spirit, and teach one day at a time more about you in Jesus name, Amen..."

No matter the bravado of atheist and atheism proclaiming that they value life, they actually value that life ceases into nothingness and when the universe implodes, there will be no more human race. They only offer hollowness of ideas and words and thus have no answers. You seem to be discovering this, haven't you?

So put away far from you whatever scheme/plan to end you life because the Lord Jesus Christ who came in human flesh destroys and unbinds all the works of the evil one that seeks to end your life. God has..

...For I know the thoughts that I think toward you, says the LORD, thoughts of peace and not of evil, to give you a future and a hope. Then you will call upon Me and go and pray to Me, and I will listen to you. And you will seek Me and find Me, when you search for Me with all your heart. I will be found by you, says the LORD, and I will bring you back from your captivity... Jer 29:11-14 NKJV
-
-
-
Science is man's invention - creation is God's
(by B. W. Melvin)

Old Polish Proverb:
Not my Circus....not my monkeys
Audie
Ultimate Member
Sex: Female
Creation Position: I don't believe in creation

Post by Audie »

RickD wrote:
Audie wrote:
RickD wrote:
Audie wrote:
IceMobster wrote: Why would I post it otherwise? Yes, that is my opinion.
Awfully self indulgent, don't you think?
Did I just see Audie make an assumption about what someone meant? Isn't that the very thing she rails against ?

Pot, meet kettle.
No, you and the one to whom that was addressed are the ones doing the assuming. Also, you will notice it was a question, I thought perhaps he would get into a little more introspection that is betimes your wont. :D
Betimes? I'll have to google that. y:-?
its an ESL thing.
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member
Creation Position: Day-Age

Post by RickD »

PaulSacramento wrote:
Why do I even bother?
He said English isn't his first language. Maybe he thinks you can't speak. :scratch:
John 5:24
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

“A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.”
-Edward R Murrow

St. Richard the Sarcastic--The Patron Saint of Irony
Audie
Ultimate Member

Post by Audie »

IceMobster wrote:
Heck son !

Here you go:

“The greatest joy a man can know is to conquer his enemies and drive them before him. To ride their horses and take away their possessions, to see the faces of those who were dear to them bedewed with tears, and to clasp their wives and daughters in his arms.”

Thanks Genghis ;)

We are taught that to do what you feel like doing instead of what you know to be right is the essence of self indulgence. Following how one feels not what is rational.

For some it is hedonism, yes. It takes many forms, tho, no? Being a jerk, being disloyal, selfish, cruel, those are all indulgence.

What does this have to do with my question? Can you stop saying irrelevant things(to the topic) and explain why do you live if you feel there is nothing after this life.
How is it rational to believe that we are a product of coincidence (and lots of it) and that our only purpose is... oh wait, we don't have it, right?
-
-
-
Exactly.
Since you only want to be abusive, we are done.
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by RickD »

Audie wrote:
RickD wrote:
Audie wrote:
RickD wrote:
Audie wrote:
Did I just see Audie make an assumption about what someone meant? Isn't that the very thing she rails against ?

Pot, meet kettle.
No, you and the one to whom that was addressed are the ones doing the assuming. Also, you will notice it was a question, I thought perhaps he would get into a little more introspection that is betimes your wont. :D
Betimes? I'll have to google that. y:-?
its an ESL thing.
ESL? I'll have to google that.
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

-Edward R Murrow

RickD
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by RickD »

Audie wrote:
IceMobster wrote:
Heck son !

Here you go:

Thanks Genghis ;)

-
-
-
Exactly.
:baby: :greedy:

-Edward R Murrow

Audie
Ultimate Member

Post by Audie »

RickD wrote:
Audie wrote:
IceMobster wrote:
Heck son !

Here you go:

Thanks Genghis ;)

-
-
-
Exactly.
"baby greedy"?

You can have him all to yourself, I aint greedy.
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by RickD »

Audie wrote:
RickD wrote:
Audie wrote:
IceMobster wrote:
Heck son !

Here you go:

Thanks Genghis ;)

-
-
-
Exactly.
"baby greedy"?

You can have him all to yourself, I aint greedy.
It was the closest I could find, to say you're being childish, and you're taking your ball and going home. y>:D<

-Edward R Murrow

Audie
Ultimate Member

Post by Audie »

You may have noticed I will stand and fight anyone. 49 kg of fightin' c-ette is nothing to mess with.

HOWEVER, as our friend seems to wish merely to be rude, I see no reason to
offer him someone to be rude to.

Joking around is one thing, being a jerk is another.
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by RickD »

Audie wrote:You may have noticed I will stand and fight anyone. 49 kg of fightin' c-ette is nothing to mess with.

Give him the benefit of the doubt. Sometimes we come across as rude, when we mean no harm.

In other words, put your big girl pants on. :mrgreen:

-Edward R Murrow

Audie
Ultimate Member

Post by Audie »

RickD wrote:
Audie wrote:You may have noticed I will stand and fight anyone. 49 kg of fightin' c-ette is nothing to mess with.

Give him the benefit of the doubt. Sometimes we come across as rude, when we mean no harm.

In other words, put your big girl pants on. :mrgreen:
Hows abouts I put some girl pants on you, ya swab?

(did that sound tough? maybe if I had a deeper voice?)

I dont suppose he does mean harm but he sure doesnt seem to have any interest in what I said, so why should I bother?
Storyteller
Ultimate Member
Creation Position: Undecided

Post by Storyteller »

Audie wrote:
IceMobster wrote:
Audie wrote: Awfully self indulgent, don't you think?
Sorry what, LOL?
English is not my native language but synonym for what you just said is hedonistic(not necessarily in a materialistic way), right? Also, epicurean?
Not even close.
How and why did you conclude that?
No "LOL" involved.

Audie wrote:Emotions give power to doing what is right, they are not to be left in charge.
Why?
Faith is a knowledge within the heart, beyond the reach of proof - Kahlil Gibran
Storyteller
Ultimate Member
Creation Position: Undecided

Post by Storyteller »

Audie wrote:
Storyteller wrote:
Audie wrote:
IceMobster wrote:
Audie wrote: is this really how you think?
Why would I post it otherwise? Yes, that is my opinion.
Awfully harsh and intolerant, don't you think?
Is that what you really think?
Honestly?

Yes.
Faith is a knowledge within the heart, beyond the reach of proof - Kahlil Gibran