Is Atheism a Belief System?

Healthy skepticism of ALL worldviews is good. Skeptical of non-belief like found in Atheism? Post your challenging questions. Responses are encouraged.
Kenny
Ultimate Member
Christian: No
Sex: Male
Creation Position: I don't believe in creation

Re: Is Atheism a Belief System?

Post by Kenny »

Byblos wrote:
Kenny wrote: extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.
That's an extraordinary claim. Show us the likewise evidence.
If you told me you had chickens that would on average lay 3 eggs per day, I would believe you. As a matter of fact; if I were in the market of buying chickens, I would probably buy one of your chickens strictly on what you told me.
However; if you told me you had a chicken that would lay eggs made of solid gold, and you were willing to sell me this chicken at a reasonable price, now your word is no longer sufficient; before I make such an investment, I am going to require some evidence to prove your claim has merit. At minimum I am going to require you provide me one of those eggs for personal inspection; I will probably go as far as requiring a demonstration from this chicken under observed conditions.
Does this sound reasonable to you?

Ken
RickD wrote
"What can be asserted without evidence can be dismissed without evidence".
Storyteller
Ultimate Member
Sex: Female
Creation Position: Undecided

Post by Storyteller »

Audie,
While I concede that I could be wrong about God, if I am then something very weird is happening.
When I first decided to believe in Christ (and yes, it was a concsious decision, I was waiting to be proven wrong, still am) something happened. I changed.
My reasoning was, and is, if im wrong and God is just a delusion then I risk nothing by believing but if He isnt a delusion then I risk everything by not believing.

There is so much im unsure of, things like the flood, Adam and Eve, Jonah yet the onething I am personally sure of is that Christ is real, and He is my Saviour.
For me, the beauty of Christianity requires only one thing, to believe in what Christ said.

Do you really, really believe that all of this love, this beauty, this pain, this magic we experience is down to just coincidences and chance?
Faith is a knowledge within the heart, beyond the reach of proof - Kahlil Gibran
abelcainsbrother
Ultimate Member
Christian: Yes
Creation Position: Gap Theory

Post by abelcainsbrother »

Audie wrote:
abelcainsbrother wrote:Atheism is an opinion a person chooses to accept with absolutely no evidence behind it.Even false religions have more evidence behind them than atheism.Atheists have nothing to bring to the table to discuss when it comes to evidence.They have nothing to hedge their bets with.
Do you believe in astrology? How about an alien base on the back side of the moon. The Illuminatti? How about Bigfoot? Evidence, you have some one way or the other?

Got anything with which to "hedge your bets' with? (whatever that is even supposed to mean)

Apply your version of reasoning to those and see how it works out.

How is your supply of evidence against ToE coming along? :D
Not evidence atheism is the right opinion.
Hebrews 12:2-3 Looking unto Jesus the author and finisher of our faith;who for the joy that was set before him endured the cross,despising the shame,and is set down at the right hand of the throne of God.

2nd Corinthians 4:4 In whom the god of this world hath blinded the minds of them which believe not,lest the light of this glorious gospel of Christ,who is the image of God,should shine unto them.
Kenny
Ultimate Member

Post by Kenny »

Nessa wrote:
Kenny wrote:
Kurieuo wrote:
Nessa wrote:
Kurieuo wrote: So Kenny is a "he", did you actually verify this? If not, while "he" may communicate with the intelligence of a human being *cough* *cough* (sorry a bit sick atm), how do you know that "he" doesn't really have a v-jay-jay?
When I was shopping the other day I saw a women's mag with big letters on the front that a woman had two...so I don't know if kenny is a he or she or how many of what he's got :shock:
See, it's always best not to believe until you have evidence. We just don't know. It's stupid to say. In fact, you really don't know whether someone called "Kenny" does in fact exist. Anyone who thinks otherwise is just not credible, not using their brain, being gullible.

It could be RickD pretending under another profile (sorry Rick), it could be me, it could be Audie wanting to be the better sex y=; , it could be Storyteller like telling a story... we just don't know.

So then, then the most logical position is to be A-kenniest. If you disagree, then please show me the proof. It's just stupid otherwise to believe and be Kenniest. Oh, and if someone takes up the challenge to say Atheism is different because extraordinary proof requires extraordinary evidence, then lets ask the question where the REAL extraordinary lies?
If I were a different person than I claim I am, would it make a difference? I ask questions, I answer questions, I communicate with Nessa; does she have a vested interest in me being a middle aged man? Do you think she would respond to me differently if I were say a woman? A child? A Christian pretending to be something else?
If the claim of who Kenny is were false, nobody would care. If the claim of Christianity were false....
As they say; extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

Ken
For some reason I thought you were younger than that. Maybe alot younger?
Why did you assume I was younger; maybe a lot younger?

Ken
RickD wrote
Nessa
Ultimate Member

Post by Nessa »

Kenny wrote:
Nessa wrote:
Kenny wrote:
Kurieuo wrote:
Nessa wrote:
When I was shopping the other day I saw a women's mag with big letters on the front that a woman had two...so I don't know if kenny is a he or she or how many of what he's got :shock:
See, it's always best not to believe until you have evidence. We just don't know. It's stupid to say. In fact, you really don't know whether someone called "Kenny" does in fact exist. Anyone who thinks otherwise is just not credible, not using their brain, being gullible.

It could be RickD pretending under another profile (sorry Rick), it could be me, it could be Audie wanting to be the better sex y=; , it could be Storyteller like telling a story... we just don't know.

So then, then the most logical position is to be A-kenniest. If you disagree, then please show me the proof. It's just stupid otherwise to believe and be Kenniest. Oh, and if someone takes up the challenge to say Atheism is different because extraordinary proof requires extraordinary evidence, then lets ask the question where the REAL extraordinary lies?
If I were a different person than I claim I am, would it make a difference? I ask questions, I answer questions, I communicate with Nessa; does she have a vested interest in me being a middle aged man? Do you think she would respond to me differently if I were say a woman? A child? A Christian pretending to be something else?
If the claim of who Kenny is were false, nobody would care. If the claim of Christianity were false....
As they say; extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

Ken
For some reason I thought you were younger than that. Maybe alot younger?
Why did you assume I was younger; maybe a lot younger?

Ken
I think it was as simple as your name 'kenny'.

You also seem to write younger
(and no that's not just a nice way of saying I think you're immature :P)
Byblos
Old School

Post by Byblos »

Kenny wrote:
Byblos wrote:
If you told me you had chickens that would on average lay 3 eggs per day, I would believe you. As a matter of fact; if I were in the market of buying chickens, I would probably buy one of your chickens strictly on what you told me.
However; if you told me you had a chicken that would lay eggs made of solid gold, and you were willing to sell me this chicken at a reasonable price, now your word is no longer sufficient; before I make such an investment, I am going to require some evidence to prove your claim has merit. At minimum I am going to require you provide me one of those eggs for personal inspection; I will probably go as far as requiring a demonstration from this chicken under observed conditions.

Ken
Sure, that sounds reasonable.

Now apply that to the (creation of) the universe and tell me what kind of extraordinary evidence is required.
Let us proclaim the mystery of our faith: Christ has died, Christ is risen, Christ will come again.

Lord I am not worthy that you should enter under my roof, but only say the word and my soul shall be healed.
Kurieuo
Honored Member
Creation Position: Progressive Creationist

Post by Kurieuo »

Audie wrote:
abelcainsbrother wrote:Atheism is an opinion a person chooses to accept with absolutely no evidence behind it.Even false religions have more evidence behind them than atheism.Atheists have nothing to bring to the table to discuss when it comes to evidence.They have nothing to hedge their bets with.
Do you believe in astrology? How about an alien base on the back side of the moon. The Illuminatti? How about Bigfoot? Evidence, you have some one way or the other?

Got anything with which to "hedge your bets' with? (whatever that is even supposed to mean)

:roll: eye roll as in always the same refrains between you two.

Nonetheless, I tried explaining evolution to my daughter, she told me it sounds like a fairy tale.
"Whoever will call on the name of the Lord will be saved." (Romans 10:13)
Audie
Ultimate Member

Post by Audie »

Kurieuo wrote:
Audie wrote:

:roll: eye roll as in always the same refrains between you two.

Nonetheless, I tried explaining evolution to my daughter, she told me it sounds like a fairy tale.

The way you'd tell it, I am sure it did.
Storyteller
Ultimate Member

Post by Storyteller »

Hey K, Audie?

Go on then, explain evolution.

Will show little un, see what she thinks.
Faith is a knowledge within the heart, beyond the reach of proof - Kahlil Gibran
Kurieuo
Honored Member

Post by Kurieuo »

Storyteller wrote:Hey K, Audie?

Go on then, explain evolution.

Will show little un, see what she thinks.
Don't you just love the level of trust Auds has for me?
Audie, give me an explanation then, I'll run it by my boy.
In terms a 6 yo could understand. I'll also re-run it by Evie.
Kurieuo
Honored Member

Post by Kurieuo »

A second question Audie, if you don't mind.
Why do you think if ToE can't be disproven that it must be true?
Storyteller
Ultimate Member

Post by Storyteller »

Ilove Audie, deeply, dearly.

In alot if ways we agree, orat least understand. Except about God. I dont discount evolution, personally, I cant yet Audie discounts God.

Why??
Kurieuo
Honored Member

Post by Kurieuo »

Storyteller wrote:Ilove Audie, deeply, dearly.
I do too, and also Kenny, though I make jibes.
I just think their minds work a bit skewiff, have been affected. I'm sure they see it the same way vice-versa.
My exchanges are in the hopes they'll see what I believe is so important to see.
Storyteller
Ultimate Member

Post by Storyteller »

Same here.

They'll never see us coming ;)
Kenny
Ultimate Member

Post by Kenny »

Byblos wrote:
Kenny wrote:
Byblos wrote:

Ken
Sure, that sounds reasonable.

Now apply that to the (creation of) the universe and tell me what kind of extraordinary evidence is required.
How do you know the Universe was created? Perhaps something has always existed in one form or another.

Ken
RickD wrote