mary magdelene

Discussions about the Bible, and any issues raised by Scripture.
Believer
Advanced Senior Member
Christian: No

Post by Believer »

kateliz wrote:I think it's better if we don't get stuck on "what if"s. If proof of a "what if" presents itself, deal with it then with what you have. If not, don't beat your brains out about it.

Besides, the Discovery Channel is one of those that refuses to come to any real conclusions on anything pertaining to religion. They always end with, "Well, we really don't know for sure," and it's almost always a lie. They don't care for truth, they care for ratings. And religious documentaries get ratings. That's why they keep shooting them out- all with no answer to the original question asked in it. They lie by not presenting the truth that's out there and presenting what's been proven wrong as a viable option. I have no respect for those documentaries on those channels, (public television has much better ones because they're less afraid of the truth.) Just brush them off as I do. There's hardly anything else you can do with them. And if you want to learn, go to a Christian bookstore or something. Those documentaries will confuse those who don't know the whole story.
I 100% agree!
MHz
Newbie Member

Post by MHz »

Hi Prodigal Son,
The Scriptures never say that this Mary was a prostitute, only that she had 7 devils and, maybe, some physical ailments as well, if that is what infirmities refers too. The adulteress should have been married, which Joanna was and Susanna might have been the woman who was the sinner who washes Jesus's feet with her tears at the end of the previous chapter. At any rate, there did seem to be some women who traveled with Jesus and His Apostles (the twelve);
Luke:8
And it came to pass afterward,
that he went throughout every city and village,
preaching and shewing the glad tidings of the kingdom of God:
and the twelve were with him,
And certain women,
which had been healed of evil spirits and infirmities, Mary called Magdalene,
out of whom went seven devils,
And Joanna the wife of Chuza Herod's steward,
and Susanna,
and many others,
which ministered unto him of their substance.

There is a Mary that was important to Jesus;
Now a certain man was sick,
named Lazarus,
of Bethany,
the town of Mary and her sister Martha.
(It was that Mary which anointed the Lord with ointment,
and wiped his feet with her hair,
whose brother Lazarus was sick.)
Therefore his sisters sent unto him,
saying,
Lord,
behold,
he whom thou lovest is sick.
When Jesus heard that,
he said,
"This sickness is not unto death,
but for the glory of God,
that the Son of God might be glorified thereby. "
Now Jesus loved Martha,
and her sister,
and Lazarus.

This Mary did 'sit in on His talks';
Luke 10
Now it came to pass,
as they went,
that he entered into a certain village:
and a certain woman named Martha received him into her house.
And she had a sister called Mary,
which also sat at Jesus' feet,
and heard his word.
But Martha was cumbered about much serving,
and came to him,
and said,
Lord,
dost thou not care that my sister hath left me to serve alone?
bid her therefore that she help me.
And Jesus answered and said unto her,
"Martha,
Martha,
thou art careful and troubled about many things: "
"But one thing is needful:
and Mary hath chosen that good part,
which shall not be taken away from her.

This time described does not mean that this is Jesus's first time meeting both of these. It would not be unheard of to be invited to the home of a relative of one that is already known, in this case, Martha is the one being introduced for the first time.

To make, what is actually a quite long post, reasonably short one, it is this Mary that a letter is written to in II John. This letter is written to a woman who has been there from the beginning. While not being an Apostle she could well have been a disciple of John, the same that was with Simon when John told two of his disciples to follow Jesus when He came back from the wilderness.

At the risk of offending anybody, this would make the Gospel of John a work of one of his disciples, penned by this one but 'commissioned by John the Baptist' through the eyes of one of his followers.

From another post it was asked, "Can women preach?"
IMHO, when two or more are gathered in Christ's name He is also present. This would seem to mean this is being in Church. An insight or truth can come from a man, a woman, or a child is an insight or truth.
bluesman
Established Member
Christian: No

Davinci code

Post by bluesman »

Now this book and movie which is coming out saying Jesus was married to
Mary Magdalene. Never read the book , but I understand they say that washing of the feet with ones hair etc. is act of marriage ritual .
Yet , who was the woman who did this?

Mike