The Sabbath, to keep or not to keep....

Discussions about the Bible, and any issues raised by Scripture.
PaulSacramento
Board Moderator
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution

Re: The Sabbath, to keep or not to keep....

Post by PaulSacramento »

jlay wrote:Paul,
Normally, I would say yes. When someone says that 'keeping' those days is evidence that you love God and therefore you have 'real' faith, then it implies that those who don't lack 'real' faith.
Jac covered that exact thing in another thread. If someone wants to revere one day over another, then I say, go for it. But when that action is then lauded as performing obedience, and that obedience is said to be an evidence of real faith, then it is more than simply que sara sara.
I understand and in my view, anyone the lauds the performance of another, or worse themselves, as being more "holier" than another that doesn't do it is missing a lot of Jesus message, in particular the one about the Pharisee and the poor woman/sinner.
Christ commanded us to love each other as He loved us and to NOT judge others, not bad advice to follow since we will be judged by the very standard we judge others and we all know how bad we really are.
Paul echos this in his letters to the Romans.

Again, I think that for anyone that wishes to keep the sabbath as a show of their love for God, all the power to them.
And I think that if they feel those that do NOT keep the sabbath are in direct violation of God's law, then I understand their concern but at the same time I think that they need to realize that this is between God and them. God will decide for only God knows what is in our hearts.
KBCid
Creation Position: Undecided

Post by KBCid »

Since God stated that he would put his laws in out hearts then it is logical that his laws persist. To assert that there are no laws to obey or that should be obeyed is in direct opposition to the message given in the bible.
It should be pointed out also that we should not judge others according to our own wisdom however there is no rule against using Gods wisdom. He says we should know them by their fruits if belief is all thats needed how exactly can this be observed? It can't therefore Faith is not all there is. How you conduct yourself is still important and it should be according to the laws of God which should be in our hearts and what laws could those be?
The ones that direct our journey to being holy just as God desires.
Asserting that faith is all thats necessary for salvation and all the laws are gone means that we can murder all day every day as long as we have faith. Without a way to sin we are free to do whatever we want ... lie, steal, murder, lust, is now a free for all acording to this doctrine.
It is as if some Christians sit there and wait for the smallest thing that they can dispute and then jump onto it...
The Bible says that we were each given an interpretation – this gift of interpretation is not there so we can run each other into the ground. It is there for our MUTUAL edification.
//www.allaboutgod.net/profiles/blogs/chri ... each-other
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member
Creation Position: Day-Age

Post by RickD »

KBC, there's just one little problem. It's not the laws that make us holy. The laws point to the fact that we are all lawbreakers, and our need for Christ. The indwelling Holy Spirit that a believer receives when he puts his faith in Christ, is who makes us holy. We are saved by God's grace, through faith in Jesus Christ. The same God who justifies by faith, sanctifies us by conforming us to the image of Christ. Sanctification by the work of the Holy Spirit(not by our own works or our trying to be holy) is a lifelong process.
John 5:24
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

“A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.”
-Edward R Murrow

St. Richard the Sarcastic--The Patron Saint of Irony
Gman
Old School

Post by Gman »

jlay wrote:Simply put, that is lordship, back-door, works salvation. It treats faith as something it isn't. Either way it puts people under the Law. This says, "you are not really saved if you are not under/keeping the Law." Or, "no one is saved by keeping the Torah, but if you aren't keeping the Torah then you probably don't have the right 'type' of faith to begin with."
Faith is faith. It is not the 'type' of faith we have, but the object of faith that matters.
The things that you do in serving G-d have to be because you believe in him, and you accept what he says as true and faithful. When G-d looks at us and sees righteousness, it is because of our faith. Even the example of Abraham in the binding of Isaac, if you really consider it, that fact that G-d declared him righteous is not from the act of offering Isaac, since he didn’t actually complete the task, but the willingness to offer Isaac on the basis of G-d’s command. This is nothing about keeping the law unto salvation, he didn't even have the entire law back then. It's keeping the law out of respect for G-d and our fellow believers in obedience. G-d's laws are NOT evil or bad. G-d is telling us to take a day off of work so that we don't burn ourselves out. G-d forbid... How dare He.. y:O2

You would seem that we have no laws.. Again, would you live in a country without any laws??
Works based salvation. Faith + _______________= salvation.
I disagree.. You keep saying faith and you don't even have a definition of faith.. According to this blind faith, you could say you believe in Christ and still be a murderer. Sorry that holds no water..
jlay wrote:I'm not saying he did. I'm saying that Theocratic Israel, you know the one who the Law works through, has been done away with for a time. You are in fact stating that the atonement process is not finished, but requires a believer then perform under the law to seal the deal.
Well you are wrong.. Israel is not done away with and it's still on the map. And Christ said, "till heaven and earth pass away, one jot or one tittle will by no means pass from the law till all is fulfilled." Matthew 5:17-19. So bring it up with Him.

http://www.merriam-webster.com/cgi-bin/ ... .pl?israel
jlay wrote:Well, the best way to love God is to take Him at His Word.
And His word doesn't include His commandments??
jlay wrote:That all we have to do is believe on Jesus and we will be saved. And not try to 'prove' our faith is the right type by how we perform. If you are trusting that your ability to perform the law is necessary to prove that you have real faith, then you are not professing salvation by faith alone. Whether you assert it on the front or slip it in the back door it is still works based salvation. This is similar to what Calvinists profess.
Be careful... I also know that anyone who professes faith in Christ name will not be saved either...

“Not everyone who says to Me, ‘Lord, Lord,’ shall enter the kingdom of heaven, but he who does the will of My Father in heaven. Many will say to Me in that day, ‘Lord, Lord, have we not prophesied in Your name, cast out demons in Your name, and done many wonders in Your name?’ And then I will declare to them, ‘I never knew you; depart from Me, you who practice lawlessness! Matthew 7:21-27
jlay wrote:Ok? And? The title of the thread is to keep the Sabbath or not.
So are you keeping the Sabbath? If not the more you will need His grace..
jlay wrote:This just appears to be a baseless attack. I guess you can take it up with Paul who said, Galatians 3:13. Of course the alw is not 'merely' a curse. The law is good when one uses it properly. And, we know that the law is holy. So, not sure where you make such a ridiculous asserion.
So now if you are saying the law is good, then why do you think that His Sabbath is not good? I don't understand..
The heart cannot rejoice in what the mind rejects as false - Galileo

We learn from history that we do not learn from history - Georg Friedrich Wilhelm Hegel

Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable, if anything is excellent or praiseworthy, think about such things. -Philippians 4:8
KBCid

Post by KBCid »

RickD wrote: KBC, there's just one little problem. It's not the laws that make us holy.
What exactly does it mean to be holy?

RickD wrote:The laws point to the fact that we are all lawbreakers, and our need for Christ.
The sacrificial laws pointed to the need for christ. The decalogue and the two greatest commandments define how to Love God and man. These cannot be fullfilled. They don't imply that following them will save you. What they do show us is how not to be like God... how to be the opposite of God. They show us what a sin is and Christ made sure to point out that is was not simply physical actions that are a sin, rather it is a sin if you break the commands in your thoughts as well. Continuing to sin separates one from God.
RickD wrote:The indwelling Holy Spirit that a believer receives when he puts his faith in Christ, is who makes us holy. We are saved by God's grace, through faith in Jesus Christ. The same God who justifies by faith, sanctifies us by conforming us to the image of Christ. Sanctification by the work of the Holy Spirit(not by our own works or our trying to be holy) is a lifelong process.
The indwelling holy spirit can only help point you in the right direction. It can show you how to obey the laws that God puts in the heart. the laws he puts in the heart are not sacrificial laws they are the law we are supposed to live by.
Your message is telling me that I don't have to obey any laws. Is that your intent?
It is as if some Christians sit there and wait for the smallest thing that they can dispute and then jump onto it...
The Bible says that we were each given an interpretation – this gift of interpretation is not there so we can run each other into the ground. It is there for our MUTUAL edification.
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by RickD »

Is Jesus Christ the believer's true Sabbath rest, or not?
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

-Edward R Murrow

Gman
Old School

Post by Gman »

KBCid wrote:
Exactly.. No one knows what holiness is if we divorce ourselves from what G-d says about holiness. We can't just say it's something about something Christ said and then dream up our own thoughts on it... G-d's word is specific and it is outlined in His commandments.

We learn from history that we do not learn from history - Georg Friedrich Wilhelm Hegel

Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable, if anything is excellent or praiseworthy, think about such things. -Philippians 4:8
KBCid

Post by KBCid »

KBCid wrote:
RickD wrote: KBC, there's just one little problem. It's not the laws that make us holy.

RickD wrote:The laws point to the fact that we are all lawbreakers, and our need for Christ.
The sacrificial laws pointed to the need for christ. These were the laws that the Jews believed they could perform to be saved from sins. These are the only 'works' that were ever considered doable in order to be forgiven for breaking Gods commandments for how they were to exist. No other commandment could be fullfilled other than the sacrificial since Christ provided the one sacrifice that made all others obsolete.

The decalogue and the two greatest commandments define how to Love God and man. These cannot be fullfilled only obeyed. They don't imply that following them will save you. What they do show us is how to be like God. They show us what a sin is and Christ made sure to point out that is was not simply physical actions that are a sin, rather it is a sin if you break the commands in your thoughts as well. Continuing to sin separates one from God. Sin has always worked to separate man from God.
RickD wrote:The indwelling Holy Spirit that a believer receives when he puts his faith in Christ, is who makes us holy. We are saved by God's grace, through faith in Jesus Christ. The same God who justifies by faith, sanctifies us by conforming us to the image of Christ. Sanctification by the work of the Holy Spirit(not by our own works or our trying to be holy) is a lifelong process.
The indwelling holy spirit can only help point you in the right direction. It can show you how to obey the laws that God puts in the heart. the laws he puts in the heart are not sacrificial laws they are the laws we are supposed to live by.
Your message is telling me that I don't have to obey any laws. Is that your intent? Do you feel comfortable telling others that they don't have to obey any commandments of God?
Gman
Old School

Post by Gman »

RickD wrote:Is Jesus Christ the believer's true Sabbath rest, or not?
Ultimately yes.. And you could argue that every day is a Shabbat, but then would you not work everyday too?

KBCid

Post by KBCid »

KBCid wrote:What exactly does it mean to be holy?
Gman wrote:Exactly.. No one knows what holiness is if we divorce ourselves from what G-d says about holiness. We can't just say it's something about something Christ said and then dream up our own thoughts on it... G-d's word is specific and it is outlined in His commandments.
Holiness is love, love for God and man was defined in the physical requirements of the decalogue. Christ redefined the commandments to include what is in your mind as well. You cannot be holy if it is only a physical action. God is spirit, if we want to be holy then we must be holy in spirit as well.
To be holy we would do everything in the decalogue physically 'AND' we would also obey Christs magnification of the law by doing it in our minds as well. Physical murderers and mental murderers have no place in heaven. No amount of faith will save one who persistently murders either physically or mentally. If you have real living faith then you will desire to be like the father and Christ by obeying all the commandments that deal with how to be holy and the indwelling holy spirit will help you to keep doing the right thing. The holy spirit will not do it for you. It is a helper and a comforter. It can only help you if you are trying to do something the way God demands.
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by RickD »

The indwelling holy spirit can only help point you in the right direction.
KBC, the Holy Spirit is God inside the believer. He fully justifies and sanctifies the believer. He doesn't merely point one in the right direction.
. It can show you how to obey the laws that God puts in the heart.
KBC, the Holy Spirit isn't an "it". The Holy Spirit is God Himself, indwelling the believer.
They show us what a sin is and Christ made sure to point out that is was not simply physical actions that are a sin, rather it is a sin if you break the commands in your thoughts as well. Continuing to sin separates one from God.
KBC, that's what I said. The law, including the 10 commandments, show us how utterly sinful, and in need of a savior we are.
Your message is telling me that I don't have to obey any laws. Is that your intent?
KBC, without believing in Christ, and having the indwelling Holy Spirit in you, you cannot understand what it means to live by the spirit. All you see is that I'm saying that I'm justified by faith in Christ, and I can break any laws I want. That's not living by the spirit. That would be trampling on what Christ did to save us.

-Edward R Murrow

RickD
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by RickD »

Holiness is love, love for God and man was defined in the physical requirements of the decalogue. Christ redefined the commandments to include what is in your mind as well. You cannot be holy if it is only a physical action. God is spirit, if we want to be holy then we must be holy in spirit as well.
Actually, we cannot be holy. Only God is holy.
If you have real living faith then you will desire to be like the father and Christ by obeying all the commandments that deal with how to be holy and the indwelling holy spirit will help you to keep doing the right thing.
KBC, nobody can obey all the commandments all the time, as long as we have our sinful nature fighting against our spirit. We as believers are always living in a kind of civil war. With the flesh battling against the spirit.
The holy spirit will not do it for you. It is a helper and a comforter. It can only help you if you are trying to do something the way God demands.
Again, KBC, the believer's "goal" in life isn't about trying to obey God's commands. A believer lives by faith in Christ. Faith that He alone has already accomplished everything needed for our justification and sanctification.
KBC, you not being a believer, have completely misunderstood the personhood and deity of the Holy Spirit. He, being God(not an "it") will finish His work in a believer. God alone sanctifies the believer. The believer cannot sanctify and make himself holy by obeying God's commands.

-Edward R Murrow

KBCid

Post by KBCid »

RickD wrote:Is Jesus Christ the believer's true Sabbath rest, or not?
Of course he is. He culminated all the sacrificial work that was being done previously. He is the final sacrifice. Thus there is no need to perform the actions of the sacrificial laws anymore. We can rest in the knowlege that his sacrifice fullfilled all that was missing from the old covenant.
This fact however, does not eliminate the fact that his father blessed and sanctified the seventh day of every week and has never changed it.
The seventh day sabbath is Gods sabbath.
Christ took the time to make it clear that he was "Lord even of the sabbath day". He was quite specific about this. He doesn't state 'A' sabbath day. He clearly understood and spoke about it as the one and only sabbath day of the week and the reason he claimed this right as lord of this day was so that he could define what was acceptable performance on that day not so it could be eliminated. Read the encounter carefully. Jews asserted that his disciples were 'performing' illegal actions on Gods blessed day.

Mat 12:2 But when the Pharisees saw it, they said unto him, Behold, thy disciples do that which is not lawful to do upon the sabbath day.
Mat 12:3 But he said unto them, Have ye not read what David did, when he was an hungred, and they that were with him;
Mat 12:4 How he entered into the house of God, and did eat the shewbread, which was not lawful for him to eat, neither for them which were with him, but only for the priests?
Mat 12:5 Or have ye not read in the law, how that on the sabbath days the priests in the temple profane the sabbath, and are blameless?
Mat 12:6 But I say unto you, That in this place is one greater than the temple.
Mat 12:7 But if ye had known what this meaneth, I will have mercy, and not sacrifice, ye would not have condemned the guiltless.
Mat 12:8 For the Son of man is Lord even of the sabbath day.
Mat 12:9 And when he was departed thence, he went into their synagogue:
Mat 12:10 And, behold, there was a man which had his hand withered. And they asked him, saying, Is it lawful to heal on the sabbath days? that they might accuse him.
Mat 12:11 And he said unto them, What man shall there be among you, that shall have one sheep, and if it fall into a pit on the sabbath day, will he not lay hold on it, and lift it out?
Mat 12:12 How much then is a man better than a sheep? Wherefore it is lawful to do well on the sabbath days.

This magnification of the fourth commandment is no different than all the other magnifications he provided. He converted the old physical commandment understandings into the new spiritual understanding...
Isa 42:21 The LORD is well pleased for his righteousness' sake; he will magnify the law, and make it honourable.

Christ was making his fathers commandments honorable because the Jews didn't observe it in the spirit it was intended. As lord of the sabbath he had the power to better define what was acceptable and honorable to do on that day which he also stated quite plainly;

Mat 12:12 ...Wherefore it is lawful to do well on the sabbath days.

It is lawful.... to do well... on the sabbath days. It is ok to obey the sabbath in the way he has defined it because he is lord even of the sabbath day. On the other hand though it is not lawful to observe the sabbath on days 1-6.

So my question still stands. Are you promoting that we don't have to obey any of the commandments?
neo-x
Ultimate Member

Post by neo-x »

So my question still stands. Are you promoting that we don't have to obey any of the commandments?
Not talking on anyone's behalf, but yes I would go all out even to say that we don't have to obey the commandments of the law. I believe the N.T is sufficient enough. It is a hard ground to defend but what I say I say because I do not think we can just choose what we follow from the law and what we leave because it is inconvenient for us.
we don't have to
That is the problematic part because it assumes, and ties something to faith. And I would ask, on what account do we "have to"? What if I do not.

Here's a question for you, When you stand before God, how will you like to be presented, would you want to justified by grace or by keeping the commandments?
you can not have both. They are exact anti-thesis of each other.

To casually follow the law as you gentlemen are doing, with all your heart, I use the word casually because you admit yourself you cannot obey all of it, but here we differ, to follow the Torah is one thing, to teach that it is the only way to have "real faith" is something else entirely. I am not against fellow brothers, like you who want to follow the Torah, but it saddens me when you imply that not following the law is somehow non-scriptural or not right.

Either the law applies as a whole or it doesn't, there is no middle ground in there. and if you have found one, it is because you are under grace. But that grace is not impacted when you choose to follow some laws and not the other. In fact it is grace alone which gives you this freedom. The law points to Christ. Christ does not point to the law. The law was placed to loosely imitate what Christ would do, not the other way around.

Stringing verses from all over the scriptures does not prove much. Paul clearly said many times how the law was a covenant which was "done away with". A law written on stone. We were given a new covenant, with the new laws.

It was said to you, an eye for eye, a tooth for a tooth, love your friend, hate your neighbor. punish and execute the sinner. Its all there. You can not sugar coat that. The law is not holy because its way of doing things is holy. It is holy because it represented divine justice. But with Christ, he fulfilled it and changed the way for justification forever.

Now you will say, we don't follow Torah to be justified? Then what exactly are you following it for? what?
Jesus didn't say, go and make disciple as messianic Jews in all the countries and the same goes to catholic, protestant and thousands of other denominations, as well. The focus is on Christ and Christ alone. There is nothing beautiful about the law, it was given by Christ and it must point back to his glory. The law is not the representative of God's will. Only Christ is. If Christ is not at the center of your faith, then the whole point is lost already. If you're worried more about Torah and less about transforming in the spirit then you are wrong and the same goes for those who do not follow the Torah, like me. But that is my point what keeps my faith and your's alive is not Torah but the grace of Christ. If you want to praise Christ with following Torah, do so but do not make it sound like others who are not doing so are lost. Christ holds us in his hands, not the commandment.

There is a reason Christ gave us the Holy spirit to live life, if the Law was as good as you make it sound, why did not Christ just told his followers to strictly keep the law?

And the point here is that your justification in Christ has nothing to do with it. And that your life should be a life in the spirit and remember, those who do not keep the law but walk in the spirit are no more better or worse than you. Following the law adds no more favor or holiness on our lives. All you get is how to "do" certain things bu what has that got to do with how the spirit works in believers? nothing.

Your interpretation of the law has nothing to do with how the law treats you. IF you break one law, you break it all and if you can not keep it you are cursed. That is the only deal the law can legally give you.

But in Christ it means nothing and not even trying to keep the law and then failing to do so perfectly, does not bring you under any curse or punishment. If you, who do not keep it perfectly are not lost while you actually tried to follow the law but by not keeping it in full, broke the law, is because your actions were not accounted as sin, as you are in Christ and the law has no power on you; Now tell me, how can you say to others that by not following the law they are not having real faith when you yourself can not keep it all as well.

Do you keep all the commandments, do you try to keep all of them or do you wish you could keep all of them, is that what counts, an intent to follow the commandments? what exactly do you achieve in having the intent to follow all but not the capacity to physically follow all of them. Even if you say, that you only follow the commandments that matter today, even then do you perfectly keep those you wish to follow or you think they apply to you today, with perfection? No? then what makes following the law any better?

Christ gave us commands, there is nothing wrong in following them and we should but because it was given to us, the new covenant, not the old one. And if any Jew comes to Christ he is also a member of the new covenant, an eternal one. In which no one gets to be a Jew or gentile, we are all grafted in Christ, the true vine.
It would be a blessing if they missed the cairns and got lost on the way back. Or if
the Thing on the ice got them tonight.

I could only turn and stare in horror at the chief surgeon.
Death by starvation is a terrible thing, Goodsir, continued Stanley.
And with that we went below to the flame-flickering Darkness of the lower deck
and to a cold almost the equal of the Dante-esque Ninth Circle Arctic Night
without.

//johnadavid.wordpress.com
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by RickD »

KBC wrote:
KBC, I'm saying that believers are under grace, and not under the old covenant of the law. When you ask about "we", why are you talking about yourself as though you are a believer? Being a "weak agnostic", you haven't accepted Christ, correct?

-Edward R Murrow