Understanding the Trinity

General discussions about Christianity including salvation, heaven and hell, Christian history and so on.
jenna
Make me a Sammich Member
Christian: Yes
Sex: Female
Creation Position: Gap Theory

Re: Understanding the Trinity

Post by jenna »

PaulSacramento wrote:God isn't "A" being Jenna, he IS Being.
The father being greater than Christ is a comment of authority, not nature.
You and your Father share the same nature and are equal in nature BUT you father has authority over you.
hmm, funny, isnt that what I just said?
some things are better left unsaid, which i generally realize after i have said them
jenna
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by jenna »

PaulSacramento wrote:It seems to me that the issue with Jenna is that she is a bitarian, so the issue is the HS and not Christ.
nope. i do not believe there are 2 gods. just one God.
some things are better left unsaid, which i generally realize after i have said them
PaulSacramento
Board Moderator
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution

Post by PaulSacramento »

jenna wrote:
You and your Father share the same nature and are equal in nature BUT you father has authority over you.
You said that Father and Son were separate beings, yes?
PaulSacramento
Board Moderator

Post by PaulSacramento »

jenna wrote:
PaulSacramento wrote:It seems to me that the issue with Jenna is that she is a bitarian, so the issue is the HS and not Christ.
Yes, Binitarian:

Binitarianism is a Christian theology of two persons, personas, or two aspects in one substance/Divinity (or God). Classically, binitarianism is understood as a form of monotheism — that is, that God is absolutely one being; and yet with binitarianism there is a "twoness" in God, which means one God family.
jenna
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by jenna »

PaulSacramento wrote:
jenna wrote:
yes i did. they ARE separate, but they are one God. just as you, your wife, and your children are one FAMILY, but separate beings. (my final post on this)
Jac3510
Ultimate Member
Creation Position: Young-Earth Creationist

Post by Jac3510 »

jenna wrote:not so. it is possible to say there is one God, and also believe that Christ and God the Father are separate beings. with neither lacking nothing. why do I say they are separate? read John 14:28. if God and christ are one being, how could the Father be greater than Christ? and also, John 1:1-2 two distinct, separate beings are identified here, yet both are God. just as a human family can be ONE FAMILY, made up of several separate beings, the God family is made up of 2.
Incorrect, and simply restating your assertions does not make it right.

So let's just walk it through. Let's develop a principle of individuation together. Suppose you have two each of the following items: apples, people, angels

What makes the two apples different and not the same being? What makes the two people different and not the same being? What makes the two angels different and not the same being?
Proinsias wrote:I don't think you are hearing me. Preference for ice cream is a moral issue
And that, brothers and sisters, is the kind of foolishness you get people who insist on denying biblical theism. A good illustration of any as the length people will go to avoid acknowledging basic truths.
Jac3510
Ultimate Member

Post by Jac3510 »

PaulSacramento wrote:
jenna wrote:
Yes, Binitarian:

Binitarianism is a Christian theology of two persons, personas, or two aspects in one substance/Divinity (or God). Classically, binitarianism is understood as a form of monotheism — that is, that God is absolutely one being; and yet with binitarianism there is a "twoness" in God, which means one God family.
Actually, Paul, I'd prefer her be a binitarian. Actually, she needs to see that her position necessarily entails polytheism. Her particular version of polytheism is social polytheism -- where there is no "God" per se but a conglomerate of beings who together may be considered "god." And that's why polytheism is just atheism.
Last edited by Jac3510 on Wed Dec 28, 2016 1:02 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Proinsias wrote:I don't think you are hearing me. Preference for ice cream is a moral issue
And that, brothers and sisters, is the kind of foolishness you get people who insist on denying biblical theism. A good illustration of any as the length people will go to avoid acknowledging basic truths.
PaulSacramento
Board Moderator

Post by PaulSacramento »

jenna wrote:
PaulSacramento wrote:
jenna wrote:
yes i did. they ARE separate, but they are one God. just as you, your wife, and your children are one FAMILY, but separate beings. (my final post on this)
I know this is your final post and you may not respond but I have to answer this to address the confusion you have ( for the sake of others).

If there are TWO beings, then there are TWO Gods.
God is NOT "A" being, He IS being.
God is, under your view, Father and Son.
TWO Persons but ONE Being.
If Father and Son were two persons and two beings they could NOT be one God.

The careful distinction is important because classical Binitarism says:
Two persons ( Father and Son), ONE being (God).
Nessa
Ultimate Member
Creation Position: Undecided

Post by Nessa »

Where does the HS fit into binitarianism?
Or doesn't it?
Nessa
Ultimate Member
Creation Position: Undecided

Post by Nessa »

So true Christianity doesnt see three seperate persons/beings with different functions yet are one God?
Last edited by Nessa on Wed Dec 28, 2016 1:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jenna
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by jenna »

:sstopwar: i am done. polytheism is the same as atheism? really? y#-o
Jac3510
Ultimate Member

Post by Jac3510 »

Of course polytheism is atheism. Monotheism, especially biblical monotheism, doesn't say that there just happens to be one God, as if there might just happen to be only one apple in a grocery store. I mean, go read what the OT says about God's view on other "gods." The Bible is very clear that they are no gods at all. Biblical monotheism holds that there is only one God, and that not by happenstance, but by necessity and nature. There can only be one absolutely supreme and sovereign Lord of all. To suggest there could be more is to not believe that there is, in fact, one absolutely supreme sovereign Lord of all. And thus, to be polytheistic is to be atheistic.

And Nessa, no. Christianity does not hold that God is three persons/beings with different functions who are yet all still God. That is not the doctrine of the Trinity. I have to leave for work. Like right now. But I'm sure others here can offer a better, more nuanced understanding.
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member
Creation Position: Day-Age

Post by RickD »

Great conversation all.

Jenna,

I do hope you continue in this thread. You can learn a lot.
John 5:24
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

“A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.”
-Edward R Murrow

St. Richard the Sarcastic--The Patron Saint of Irony
jenna
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by jenna »

RickD wrote:Great conversation all.

Jenna,

i appreciate that Rick, but i really dont see much of a point in continuing this. all i am getting is questions that i answer, but when i ask someone something, their response is either "go look it up" or they dont address my points at all, they merely ask another question. or they answer my question with a question. even giving such statements as polytheism is atheism. :roll:
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member
Creation Position: Day-Age

Post by RickD »

jenna wrote:
RickD wrote:Great conversation all.

Jenna,

i appreciate that Rick, but i really dont see much of a point in continuing this. all i am getting is questions that i answer, but when i ask someone something, their response is either "go look it up" or they dont address my points at all, they merely ask another question. or they answer my question with a question. even giving such statements as polytheism is atheism. :roll:
Jenna,

I'm trying to teach you how to fish. We need to study this stuff on our own, and not just be spoon fed answers. The Galatian Heresy is being saved by grace, but then continuing to try to remain saved by works.

Besides my telling you to google Galatian Heresy, I think all of your points were addressed.

And yes, polytheism is atheism. I've never thought about it that way before, but Jac is correct. See, I'm learning too. :lol:

I'm glad you're asking questions, and being open to learning. It shows openness and maturity.
John 5:24
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

“A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.”
-Edward R Murrow

St. Richard the Sarcastic--The Patron Saint of Irony