Does Evolution and Science draw people away from God?

Discussion about scientific issues as they relate to God and Christianity including archaeology, origins of life, the universe, intelligent design, evolution, etc.
Kurieuo
Honored Member
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Progressive Creationist

Re: Does Evolution and Science draw people away from God?

Post by Kurieuo »

@Audie, I don't believe Jesus was a lamb but rather the lamb. ;) Baa baa....
"Whoever will call on the name of the Lord will be saved." (Romans 10:13)
Audie
Ultimate Member
Christian: No
Sex: Female
Creation Position: I don't believe in creation

Post by Audie »

Kurieuo wrote:@Audie, I don't believe Jesus was a lamb but rather the lamb. ;) Baa baa....
No "literal or lamb" for you.

Its saying something about the barbie tactless?
Storyteller
Ultimate Member
Creation Position: Undecided

Post by Storyteller »

You baa-d girl!
Faith is a knowledge within the heart, beyond the reach of proof - Kahlil Gibran
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member
Creation Position: Day-Age

Post by RickD »

Audie wrote:
Kurieuo wrote:@Audie, I don't believe Jesus was a lamb but rather the lamb. ;) Baa baa....
No "literal or lamb" for you.

Its saying something about the barbie tactless?
Yes it is. But remember that even Saul (Paul) didn't know he was persecuting Jesus, until the Lord came to him. So we understand why you'd say that. :D
John 5:24
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

“A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.”
-Edward R Murrow

St. Richard the Sarcastic--The Patron Saint of Irony
HappyFlappyTheist
Established Member
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution

Post by HappyFlappyTheist »

Hmm... It might be too late to address the question I came here to talk about buuuuut........ re-instigation!

No, evolution and science do not draw people away from (a) god(s); what draws( or polarizes) people away are the actions of religion, the thirst for freedom to do whatever they want that isn't found in most religions ('sin'), and the complete absurdity of literal creation myths (I.E socrates). Science is usually used as a way to rationally defend one's disbelief -contrary to what most people will say who don't believe-, not normally the sole leading cause. Something else is probably driving (causing the thirst for) the disbelief, science is just that liquid hydrogen rocket helping to propel disbelief to it's zenith ( It rationalizes disbelief).
Last edited by HappyFlappyTheist on Sun Feb 22, 2015 8:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bippy123
Prestigious Senior Member

Post by bippy123 »

HappyFlappyDeist wrote:Hmm... It might be too late to address the question I came here to talk about buuuuut........ re-instigation!

No, evolution and science do not draw people away from (a) god(s); what draws( or polarizes) people away are the actions of religion, the thirst for freedom to do whatever they want that isn't found in most religions ('sin'), and the complete absurdity of literal creation myths (I.E socrates). Science is usually used a way to rationally defend one's disbelief -contrary to what most people will say who don't believe-, not normally the sole leading cause. Something else is probably driving (causing the thirst for) the disbelief, science is just that liquid hydrogen rocket helping to propel disbelief to it's zenith ( It rationalizes disbelief).
Happy ur views are similar to my uncles views . He is also a deist . When we start talking religion and science he starts salivating at the mouth because he likes that he will get some good engagement out of me , and we go at it for hours in a very spirited way . He even got me to stop him in a Mormon temple when he was here on a trip from beirut where he lives .

Very sharp guy who speaks 8 languages and is very well verses in many different subjects .

He is married to my moms sister whose a strong believer and when I ask him why he doesn't go to church with her he responds by saying " God gives me the way off be used I'm training these Neanderthals to be human beings " as he lets out a little smirk lol.

He's a great prankster but for some reason he won't engage on the subject of the shroud of turin with me :(
:mrgreen:
HappyFlappyTheist
Established Member

What's keeping him from discussing the shroud of turin I wonder... I view it as an intriguing topic, but not one to run from.
Last edited by HappyFlappyTheist on Sun Feb 22, 2015 9:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
pulvis sum
bippy123

Post by bippy123 »

HappyFlappyDeist wrote:What's keeping him from discussing the shroud of turin I wonder... I view it as an intriguing topic but not one to run from.
Good question happy, wish I knew, this was back when I was obsessed as a believer in evolution . He didn't mind that topic at all. Maybe it has to do with the fact that his wife is a very devout church gore and that reminds him of church . She will be at mass every day while he will be out playing cards all day long with his friends.

He's retired :mrgreen:
He had a good job at MEA Middle East airlines
His nickname was abu Samra which meant dark skinned one but it was used in sarcasm as he was very very light skinned :mrgreen:
I cracked up when he used to talk Danish and then switch to French in mid sentence .
HappyFlappyTheist
Established Member

I cracked up when he used to talk Danish and then switch to French in mid sentence .
I envy the ability to do that.... I'd love to confuse people.

Onto your uncle's views on the shroud; I view it as strange that a man who's portrayed as a staunch deist would shy away from such a trivial topic such as the SoT solely because it reminds him of his wife going to church on Sunday. Forgive me when I say that sounds like insecure faith in his belief system.
pulvis sum
bippy123

Post by bippy123 »

HappyFlappyDeist wrote:

Onto your uncle's views on the shroud; I view it as strange that a man who's portrayed as a staunch deist would shy away from such a trivial topic such as the SoT solely because it reminds him of his wife going to church on Sunday. Forgive me when I say that sounds like insecure faith in his belief system.
Yea he loves to fool people and has a thing for proving his intellectual superiority over others as well.
As far as the shroud I didn't say he was a perfect deist in his faith in deism , but I feel at times it allows him to have carte Blanche in doing whatever he wants without feeling guilty over it .
At the same time he still has respect for people of faith but he views people of simple faith as simpletons whereas I view them as people with amazing wisdom.

An example is my russian friend mikhail who converted from pure Judaism to Christianity after seeing Christ in his near death experience where he was given a choice by Christ to either enter heaven or go back to earth. He chose to come back because he didn't want his mom to grieve over him. There are few people that love others the way he does .

This despite having schizophrenia and logophobia which are tormenting disorders . To me he is a pure angel and a role model.
Audie
Ultimate Member
Creation Position: I don't believe in creation

Post by Audie »

HappyFlappyDeist wrote:

Sometimes when Im with someone who doesnt know a word of Chinese, I will say something to them
so that others will think they do understand. Sheesh who knew Joe speaks Chinese..
HappyFlappyTheist
Established Member

Audie wrote:
HappyFlappyDeist wrote:

Sometimes when Im with someone who doesnt know a word of Chinese, I will say something to them
so that others will think they do understand. Sheesh who knew Joe speaks Chinese..
Brilliant :lol:
pulvis sum