Do we exist?

Discussions on a ranges of philosophical issues including the nature of truth and reality, personal identity, mind-body theories, epistemology, justification of beliefs, argumentation and logic, philosophy of religion, free will and determinism, etc.
charlottecowell
Familiar Member
Christian: Yes
Sex: Female

Re: Do we exist?

Post by charlottecowell »

I think if you love you know that God exists and then you come alive yourself, at the very least you are conscious.

Sometimes I have Zen moments, like everyone else, when a little switch flips and I think, 'actually, am I here or am I sitting up in space like some kind of hologram imagining myself?' but in that situation it's best to just go to sleep if possible as you're sure to know you're alive when the alarm goes off and sends you to work ;)
Cross.eyed
Valued Member
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Undecided

Post by Cross.eyed »

Back in the seventies there was a circular that stated; The only true statement anyone can make is "I exist."...it turns out a bit self indulgent doesn't it? I feel if I were to question my own existance that it would be circular as well.
I am the wretch the song refers to.
Marcosll
Familiar Member
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution

Post by Marcosll »

Another interesting question is,

What exactly am I?

The actual matter that you are composed of changes completely as cells die and new ones are born. The state they are in changes also. What you are today and what you are tomorrow is different.

You are not like a computer that is almost exactly the same from one day to the next. As life forms we change a lot during our lives.

Further, your consciousness might just be the sum of all the little cells in your body. You may have no spirit and may be no different than a robot (just more complex).

Scary when you start thinking about human life as a sum of cellular life.