Movies

Are you a sincere seeker who has questions about Christianity, or a Christian with doubts about your faith? Post them here to receive a thoughtful response.
zoegirl
Old School
Christian: Yes
Sex: Female
Creation Position: Day-Age

Re: Movies

Post by zoegirl »

Swamper wrote:
zoegirl wrote: Much prefer the Sci-Fi channel....give me star-gate or Dr. Who any day
Stargate SG-1 is awesome. I've recently started watching my dad's DVDs of the series. :) :) :)
Jack and Sam rock!!

I Like the new Dr. Who...David Tennant makes for a good Dr. Who
Swamper
Valued Member
Sex: Male

Post by Swamper »

zoegirl wrote:
Swamper wrote:
zoegirl wrote: Much prefer the Sci-Fi channel....give me star-gate or Dr. Who any day
Stargate SG-1 is awesome. I've recently started watching my dad's DVDs of the series. :) :) :)
Jack and Sam rock!!

I Like the new Dr. Who...David Tennant makes for a good Dr. Who
I've not seen Dr. Who before...no idea where to start on it either... :?
God's in his Heaven, all's right with the world.
zoegirl
Old School

Post by zoegirl »

ha....

it's a little (a little?) bizarre.

Check out the wikipedia on Dr. Who for the history of the show. It's actually one of the longest running shows ever. It started in the 60's. They started a new version a few years ago. I haven't been a faithful follower form the beginning....sometimes the PBS stations show the old BBC episodes late at night on the weekend.

Sci-fi channel has been running the shows one season behind BBC. The new actor who plays Dr. Who has that essentail quirkiness that seems to be the hallmark of Dr. Who.

YOu have to appreciate the weird but brilliant wit of the British. :lol: :D

http://www.bbc.co.uk/doctorwho/

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Doctor_Who

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid ... &plindex=4 (for a sample video, it shows the end of one season and the beginning of another)
FFC
Prestigious Senior Member
Creation Position: Young-Earth Creationist

Post by FFC »

Love to watch the British shows on my PBS station.
I started watching "All creatures Great and Small" in addition to the older Britcoms on my PBS station and renewed my love for British TV shows and British sitcoms. Anybody else like the Britcoms? Wish I got BBC America on my Cable. Love, Love, love the british wit.
Monty Python and Faulty Towers are my favorites...of course I'm showing my age. :o
"Faith sees the invisible, believes the unbelievable, and receives the impossible." - Corrie Ten Boom

Act 9:6
And he trembling and astonished said, Lord, what wilt thou have me to do?
andyredeemed
Recognized Member
Christian: No

Post by andyredeemed »

I used to love Dr Who. I remember hiding behind a cushion during the really scary bits, 'cos the monsters can't see you if you hide behind a cushion... :lol:
I think my favourite things on TV when I used to have one where MASH, Star trek Fawlty Towers and -does anyone remember a series that was on during the 90's called Northern Exposure? I absolutely loved that.The only thing I miss about not having a TV is The Simpsons. So deep. So very deep. (I was given a book once called The Gospel According to The Simpsons. It took a weak point an laboured it very succesfully).
I don't know what to think about this though: Before I became a Christian, one of my favourite movies was a little French one called Betty Blue. It's incredibly powerful and emotional, but never leaves you feeling manipulated, and the end is absolutely devastating. The troble with it is, is that it is a bit erotic in places, and there is a fair bit of nudity and bad language-although I don't judge it to be gratuitous. I watched it again a couple of years ago, and found it didn't offend me any more then than it had before I was saved. THe trouble is that so many people know its reputation for being " A bit rude", and I feel uncomfortable about enjoying it-or at least admiting to it :?
I wouldn't let my kids watch it until they are a bit more mature, but I can't help feeling that most Christians mistake prudishness for morality.
God is good
FFC

Post by FFC »

Andy wrote:does anyone remember a series that was on during the 90's called Northern Exposure?
Northern Exposure was great! What a cast of quirky charactors. I liked Newhart (the one where him and his wife are the owners of a bed and breakfast in Vermont) for the same reason...plus I'm a big fan of Bob Newhart.
"Faith sees the invisible, believes the unbelievable, and receives the impossible." - Corrie Ten Boom

Byblos
Old School

Post by Byblos »

FFC wrote:I'm a big fan of Bob Newhart.
You Bob Newhart, me Carroll O'conner, and both of us Jackie Gleason. God I feel old. My only saving grace is that my 2 sons (11 & 14) are into classic rock big time (go Aerosmith!).
Let us proclaim the mystery of our faith: Christ has died, Christ is risen, Christ will come again.

Lord I am not worthy that you should enter under my roof, but only say the word and my soul shall be healed.
FFC

Post by FFC »

Byblos wrote:
You Bob Newhart, me Carroll O'conner, and both of us Jackie Gleason. God I feel old. My only saving grace is that my 2 sons (11 & 14) are into classic rock big time (go Aerosmith!).
Well The Honeymooners has got to be my all time favorite! How someone can say the same things, make the same expressions, and get into the same trouble every episode and make me laugh like an idiot every time I don't know but I do...and All in the Family is priceless. Carrol O'Connor will always be Archie to me...jeeeez.

But then there is:

The Beverly Hillbillies
I Dream of Jeannie
Green Acres
The Munsters
The Addams Family
The **** Van [lesbian] Show
Batman
Tarzan....................

I can't stop

and further back:

Leave it to Beaver
Ozzie and Harriet
Dennis The Menace
Adam 12..............................

Byblos
Old School

Post by Byblos »

FFC wrote:
Byblos wrote:
Well The Honeymooners has got to be my all time favorite! How someone can say the same things, make the same expressions, and get into the same trouble every episode and make me laugh like an idiot every time I don't know but I do...and All in the Family is priceless. Carrol O'Connor will always be Archie to me...jeeeez.

But then there is:

The Beverly Hillbillies
I Dream of Jeannie
Green Acres
The Munsters
The Addams Family
The **** Van [lesbian] Show
Batman
Tarzan....................

I can't stop

and further back:

Leave it to Beaver
Ozzie and Harriet
Dennis The Menace
Adam 12..............................
Yeah all of these are great but you're right, the Honeymooners is tops.

Did you notice what happened? I'm sure you typed the 'D i c k Van D y k e' show (minus the blanks) and it was posted as The **** Van [Lesbian] show :lol: :lol:. That is just too funny, political correctness run amok.
Let us proclaim the mystery of our faith: Christ has died, Christ is risen, Christ will come again.

Lord I am not worthy that you should enter under my roof, but only say the word and my soul shall be healed.
zoegirl
Old School

Post by zoegirl »

MOnty python is great....(Ministry of Silly Walks? Twit of the Year? anybody?)

I always feel too sorry for JOhn Cleese in Faulty Towers. It's a bit like watching a train wreck. But I am laughing as well.

Anybody catch "Keeping up Appearances?"

How about "Red Dwarf"? NOw that was bizarre and yet quite hilarious

A while ago, our PBS station had a "britwit" night with Keeping Up Appearances, The Red Green Show (Canadian, I think), Red Dwark and Monty Python. I would go to my brother's house with him and his wife and we would be in tears laughing by the end of the night.
Enigma7457
Valued Member

Post by Enigma7457 »

Wow did this conversation quickly get away from us young wipper-snappers! :lol:

It's okay, i enjoy reading stuff i don't understand at all and sit watching while completely confused and have no idea what is happening.

But that happens a lot at my age 8)

Anyway, anybody see the World Trade Center movie with Nicholas Cage? I only got about an hour into it before shutting it off. I can't watch that kind of stuff happen to people when it's real.
Swamper
Valued Member

Post by Swamper »

Thanks Zoegirl for the Doctor Who info, I'll look into it soon. :)

Another series I like is NCIS. I just got the first season of it for my birthday. Great show. :D
God's in his Heaven, all's right with the world.
Gman
Old School

Post by Gman »

Swamper wrote:Thanks Zoegirl for the Doctor Who info, I'll look into it soon. :)

Another series I like is NCIS. I just got the first season of it for my birthday. Great show. :D
Hey happy B-day Swamper.. You da man... 8)
The heart cannot rejoice in what the mind rejects as false - Galileo

We learn from history that we do not learn from history - Georg Friedrich Wilhelm Hegel

Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable, if anything is excellent or praiseworthy, think about such things. -Philippians 4:8
andyredeemed
Recognized Member

Post by andyredeemed »

Zoegirl, did you ever see any of the Blackadder comedies? I think you'd like it.
God is good
FFC

Post by FFC »

Byblos wrote:Did you notice what happened? I'm sure you typed the 'D i c k Van D y k e' show (minus the blanks) and it was posted as The **** Van [Lesbian] show . That is just too funny, political correctness run amok.
Oh my gosh! No I didn't notice that! I am laughing so hard now. I'm not sure what the The **** Van [Lesbian] show would be about...but I would steer clear of it. ;)