can god be good if he created evil?

General discussions about Christianity including salvation, heaven and hell, Christian history and so on.
Byblos
Old School
Christian: Yes

Re: can god be good if he created evil?

Post by Byblos »

BavarianWheels wrote:
Byblos wrote:
rare96ws6 wrote: We don't need one of the choices to be evil. Both choices could be good. We would not be robots just becasue one of our choices is not an evil one. There doesn't seem to be a reason fof the existence of evil, but God created evil as a choice for us, so there must be some reason.
Ok, please define what is a good choice, in the absence of a bad choice.
Choosing between a sphere and a block to play Rollie-Pollie. ;)

(when I was very young, one of my favorite games to play with my grandma was what we called, "Rollie-Pollie". Each person sits on the floor with their legs spread open in a V-shape and a ball is passed between each person rolling it on the floor back and forth. Great fun.)

Choosing the sphere is the best choice while the block is still a good choice, it just isn't the right choice for Rollie-Pollie.
The game's name would need to change to "Slidie-Slyde"
I highlighted the relevant words. If there is a best choice and good choice, there necessarily must also be a bad choice (i.e. varying degrees of choices). Otherwise, there is no choice.
Let us proclaim the mystery of our faith: Christ has died, Christ is risen, Christ will come again.

Lord I am not worthy that you should enter under my roof, but only say the word and my soul shall be healed.
rare96ws6
Recognized Member
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution

Post by rare96ws6 »

Byblos wrote:
rare96ws6 wrote: We don't need one of the choices to be evil. Both choices could be good. We would not be robots just becasue one of our choices is not an evil one. There doesn't seem to be a reason fof the existence of evil, but God created evil as a choice for us, so there must be some reason.
I don't think we need a definition here, just a simple comment. I can chose between vanilla and chocolate icecream. Both are good choices.
Last edited by rare96ws6 on Wed Jan 27, 2010 10:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rare96ws6
Recognized Member

Post by rare96ws6 »

Byblos wrote:
BavarianWheels wrote:
Byblos wrote:
Choosing between a sphere and a block to play Rollie-Pollie. ;)

(when I was very young, one of my favorite games to play with my grandma was what we called, "Rollie-Pollie". Each person sits on the floor with their legs spread open in a V-shape and a ball is passed between each person rolling it on the floor back and forth. Great fun.)

Choosing the sphere is the best choice while the block is still a good choice, it just isn't the right choice for Rollie-Pollie.
The game's name would need to change to "Slidie-Slyde"
I will have to disagree with you on this one. There is a red crayon and a blue crayon in which to color with. we can chose either. To me, there is no better choice between choosing red or blue to color with.
Both choices are equally good. I see no evil choice here or a choice that is better
I highlighted the relevant words. If there is a best choice and good choice, there necessarily must also be a bad choice (i.e. varying degrees of choices). Otherwise, there is no choice.
Byblos
Old School

Post by Byblos »

rare96ws6 wrote:
Byblos wrote:
I don't think we need a definition here, just a simple comment. I can chose between vanilla and chocolate icecream. Both are good choices.
How do you know they are good choices? Good as compared to what? If your choice was between chocolate ice cream or a bushel of hay instead of vanilla ice cream, how do you make the choice.
Let us proclaim the mystery of our faith: Christ has died, Christ is risen, Christ will come again.

Lord I am not worthy that you should enter under my roof, but only say the word and my soul shall be healed.
rare96ws6
Recognized Member

Post by rare96ws6 »

Byblos wrote:
rare96ws6 wrote:
Byblos wrote:
How do you know they are good choices? Good as compared to what? If your choice was between chocolate ice cream or a bushel of hay instead of vanilla ice cream, how do you make the choice.
I replied on the other post, since it seems the "most" good of the 2 posts;)