Does Mitt Romney Have a chance at becoming president?

Discussions about politics and goings on around the world. (Please keep discussions civil!)
jlay
Ultimate Member
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Young-Earth Creationist

Re: Does Mitt Romney Have a chance at becoming president?

Post by jlay »

:pound:
-“The Bible treated allegorically becomes putty in the hands of the exegete.” John Walvoord

"I'm not saying scientists don't overstate their results. They do. And it's understandable, too...If you spend years working toward a certain goal and make no progress, of course you are going to spin your results in a positive light." Ivellious
Furstentum Liechtenstein
Ultimate Member
Sex: It's Complicated

Post by Furstentum Liechtenstein »

Philip wrote:So, Jlay, are YOU voting? And for whom?
I'm glad to see that some Americans will be voting. I hope there's not the dimmest chance of rain on voting day because that would keep most registered voters at home. :pound:

FL y:(2
Hold everything lightly. If you don't, it will hurt when God pries your fingers loose as He takes it from you. -Corrie Ten Boom

+ + +

If they had a social gospel in the days of the prodigal son, somebody would have given him a bed and a sandwich and he never would have gone home.

+ + +
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member
Creation Position: Day-Age

Post by RickD »

Furstentum Liechtenstein wrote:
I'm glad to see that some Americans will be voting. I hope there's not the dimmest chance of rain on voting day because that would keep most registered voters at home. :pound:

FL, it's the 21st century in America. And by the wonders of technology, we can actually vote by mail. We don't have to leave home to vote! I know Canada is a little behind in technology, but you do have mail, don't you?

On that note, voting day is 2 weeks away, and as far as President, I'm still undecided. Someone convince me why their candidate should get my vote. I'm all ears.
John 5:24
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

“A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.”
-Edward R Murrow

St. Richard the Sarcastic--The Patron Saint of Irony
Byblos
Old School

Post by Byblos »

RickD wrote:

FL, it's the 21st century in America. And by the wonders of technology, we can actually vote by mail. We don't have to leave home to vote! I know Canada is a little behind in technology, but you do have mail, don't you?

On that note, voting day is 2 weeks away, and as far as President, I'm still undecided. Someone convince me why their candidate should get my vote. I'm all ears.
Unfortunately my vote is a vote of displeasure (of the current president) than it is a vote of confidence in the candidate I will be voting for. But such is the state of American politics. I have no issue with voters who take the position of not voting to make a statement but in many ways this will help one candidate over another so they end up voting whether they like or not. That's why I believe a vote to the lesser of 2 evils is better than a non-vote that ends up benefiting the greater evil.
Let us proclaim the mystery of our faith: Christ has died, Christ is risen, Christ will come again.

Lord I am not worthy that you should enter under my roof, but only say the word and my soul shall be healed.
Furstentum Liechtenstein
Ultimate Member

RickD wrote:FL, it's the 21st century in America. And by the wonders of technology, we can actually vote by mail. We don't have to leave home to vote! I know Canada is a little behind in technology, but you do have mail, don't you?
Voting by mail?! That's stoopid! You mean to tell me that you guys have made voting so easy yet only 32% of Americans bother to vote? y:O2
Byblos wrote:Unfortunately my vote is a vote of displeasure (of the current president) than it is a vote of confidence in the candidate I will be voting for.
A protest vote is still a vote. Not voting is just irresponsible.

FL y**==
Hold everything lightly. If you don't, it will hurt when God pries your fingers loose as He takes it from you. -Corrie Ten Boom

+ + +

If they had a social gospel in the days of the prodigal son, somebody would have given him a bed and a sandwich and he never would have gone home.

+ + +
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by RickD »

Byblos wrote:
Unfortunately my vote is a vote of displeasure (of the current president) than it is a vote of confidence in the candidate I will be voting for. But such is the state of American politics. I have no issue with voters who take the position of not voting to make a statement but in many ways this will help one candidate over another so they end up voting whether they like or not. That's why I believe a vote to the lesser of 2 evils is better than a non-vote that ends up benefiting the greater evil.
Byblos, I can certainly understand that logic, and for many, it makes sense. For me, I'm not convinced. I basically have 3 criteria when it comes to who gets my vote for President:
1) the candidate has to have the political views I share.
2) the candidate has to be trustworthy in my view.
3) the candidate has to have a legitimate chance to win.

None of the candidates fit my criteria. That's my dilemma.
FL wrote:
Voting by mail?! That's stoopid! You mean to tell me that you guys have made voting so easy yet only 32% of Americans bother to vote?
FL, keep in mind that only 50% of Americans are literate. :mrgreen:
FL wrote:
A protest vote is still a vote. Not voting is just irresponsible.
If I don't vote specifically for Pres., it will be because I'm not confident in any candidate. Not because I'm protesting. Frustrated, yes. Protesting? Nah.
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

-Edward R Murrow

Byblos
Old School

Post by Byblos »

RickD wrote:
Byblos wrote:
Byblos, I can certainly understand that logic, and for many, it makes sense. For me, I'm not convinced. I basically have 3 criteria when it comes to who gets my vote for President:
1) the candidate has to have the political views I share.
2) the candidate has to be trustworthy in my view.
3) the candidate has to have a legitimate chance to win.

None of the candidates fit my criteria. That's my dilemma.
I can also understand and appreciate such a position. Given, however, that Florida is such a crucial state in this election and that every vote literally counts, by not voting who do you think you'll be helping? As long as you can live with that decision then fine.
Let us proclaim the mystery of our faith: Christ has died, Christ is risen, Christ will come again.

Lord I am not worthy that you should enter under my roof, but only say the word and my soul shall be healed.
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by RickD »

Byblos wrote:
I can also understand and appreciate such a position. Given, however, that Florida is such a crucial state in this election and that every vote literally counts, by not voting who do you think you'll be helping? As long as you can live with that decision then fine.
Let's see...give a guy another four years, who hasn't proved to me that he deserves four more years.

Or, give a guy four years who I really don't trust. y:-?

Now you can see my dilemma.

Whatever I do, I need to make sure my conscience is clear. I can't worry about who my non vote would go for, if I don't vote. I'll say this, if I hadn't lived in Massachusetts when Romney was governor, allowing me to see this candidate first hand, he'd more than likely get my vote.

Somebody needs to convince me why I should vote for him, when everything I've seen is telling me not to vote for Romney.

-Edward R Murrow

Byblos
Old School

Post by Byblos »

RickD wrote:
Byblos wrote:
Let's see...give a guy another four years, who hasn't proved to me that he deserves four more years.

Or, give a guy four years who I really don't trust. y:-?

Now you can see my dilemma.

Whatever I do, I need to make sure my conscience is clear. I can't worry about who my non vote would go for, if I don't vote. I'll say this, if I hadn't lived in Massachusetts when Romney was governor, allowing me to see this candidate first hand, he'd more than likely get my vote.

Somebody needs to convince me why I should vote for him, when everything I've seen is telling me not to vote for Romney.
I tell you what, if you decide to go with the non-vote route, I'm willing to swap with you. I'll promise not to vote for anyone here in NY in return for you voting for Romney in FL. This way we both get what we want, my vote will matter where it should and your conscience will still be clear since one of us didn't vote.

RickD
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by RickD »

I tell you what, if you decide to go with the non-vote route, I'm willing to swap with you. I'll promise not to vote for anyone here in NY in return for you voting for Romney in FL. This way we both get what we want, my vote will matter where it should and your conscience will still be clear since one of us didn't vote.
y:-?
That might be a pretty good idea. If you're serious, I'll keep that in mind.

-Edward R Murrow

Byblos
Old School

Post by Byblos »

RickD wrote:
y:-?
That might be a pretty good idea. If you're serious, I'll keep that in mind.
I'm very serious, definitely think about it.

PaulSacramento
Board Moderator
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution

Post by PaulSacramento »

What is a "protest vote"?
Furstentum Liechtenstein
Ultimate Member

PaulSacramento wrote:What is a "protest vote"?
That would be spoiling your ballot somehow. It is better to spoil your ballot than to not vote. Not voting sends a message of voter apathy.
Byblos wrote:I tell you what, if you decide to go with the non-vote route, I'm willing to swap with you. I'll promise not to vote for anyone here in NY in return for you voting for Romney in FL. This way we both get what we want, my vote will matter where it should and your conscience will still be clear since one of us didn't vote.

This is a bizarre arrangement!

FL

+ + +

+ + +
Byblos
Old School

Post by Byblos »

Byblos wrote:I tell you what, if you decide to go with the non-vote route, I'm willing to swap with you. I'll promise not to vote for anyone here in NY in return for you voting for Romney in FL. This way we both get what we want, my vote will matter where it should and your conscience will still be clear since one of us didn't vote.

Not bizarre at all. There's been talk of abolishing the electoral college and making the presidential election by popular vote, the way it ought to be. I'm just jumping the gun so-to-speak.

RickD
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by RickD »

Byblos wrote:

Not bizarre at all. There's been talk of abolishing the electoral college and making the presidential election by popular vote, the way it ought to be. I'm just jumping the gun so-to-speak.
Me no likie when a candidate can't win by popular vote, yet he becomes President by electoral votes. :shakehead:

-Edward R Murrow