The Law

Discussions about the Bible, and any issues raised by Scripture.
jlay
Ultimate Member
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Young-Earth Creationist

Re: The Law

Post by jlay »

KBCid wrote:You are not addressing my point. If you knowingly perform actions that God has defined as a sin and you don't turn form them will your belief in Christ overcome this?. Except the law had shown me what sin was then I cannot be held accountable. However, God did provide commandments based on the the two greatest commandments to show the various ways you can break those commands and how you should observe them. Christ also magnified those same laws beyond the letter that had been written by the finger of God to show us how far reaching the commands actually were. So with the decalogue as an example of the do's and don't that come from the two greatest commands. If we perform those actions while professing to believe in Christ are we still held blameless at the judgement?

I'd say the only sin that will not be overcome is the sin that denies that Christ overcame sin. This is to blasphemy the HS.

The question isn't whether we are held blameless at the judgment. Beleivers do not face that judgment. It's already been judged. We are blameless in Christ. If someone has rightly trusted Christ, then they have been obedient to the faith. They are redeemed and a full fledged citizen of Heaven, sealed with the promise of the HS.
Gman wrote:No.. Technically speaking the whole Bible is Torah.. From Genesis to Revelation. And if you think that Christ didn't give us any commandments then technically speaking we don't have to follow Him either... After all, His commandments are evil curses..
How anyone can read the letter to the Galatians and make these assinine statements is beyond me.
-“The Bible treated allegorically becomes putty in the hands of the exegete.” John Walvoord

"I'm not saying scientists don't overstate their results. They do. And it's understandable, too...If you spend years working toward a certain goal and make no progress, of course you are going to spin your results in a positive light." Ivellious
Gman
Old School
Creation Position: Day-Age

Post by Gman »

neo-x wrote:
No.. Technically speaking the whole Bible is Torah
y8-| ...You are practically equating the gospel of Christ with some Jewish laws. Your focus does not seem to be on Christ at all, its on his Jewishness and how big a law abider he was, you are still fascinated by the shadows and that is after you have the substance in Christ, of which the Torah was a mere shadow of.
Again... They are not Jewish laws. They are Biblical instructions given to us by the creator to live prosperous lives. When we obey His commandments we live the abundant life.
neo-x wrote:Even though you are not a Jew and as a matter of fact, even orthodox Jews won't accept messianic Jews. I am not sure how this qualifies you to behave like one.
I don't claim to be a Jew, I claim to be a messianic gentile, a foreigner to the covenants. Christian’s graft into the commonwealth of Israel and are co-citizens of the covenants "with" the Jews (Ephesians 2:11-13, 19, Ephesians 3:6, Romans 11:11-24, Galatians 4:26, 28).

Like it or not... If you don't want to be apart of the covenants then go do your own thing then..
The heart cannot rejoice in what the mind rejects as false - Galileo

We learn from history that we do not learn from history - Georg Friedrich Wilhelm Hegel

Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable, if anything is excellent or praiseworthy, think about such things. -Philippians 4:8
Gman
Old School

Post by Gman »

neo-x wrote:
"Well it's true... I don't want to work seven days a week... Keep that legalistic "free grace" away from me.
"
what is legalistic about grace? that is the biggest oxymoron I have heard in recent times. You have been saved by grace and you are attaching laws to that grace, and you are calling grace, legalistic?
Sure.. If you say you have to work seven days of the week you are putting yourself in legalistic bondage.
neo-x wrote:wow, you are so enamored by Zionism and messianic Judaism that the simple words of the gospel won't satisfy you.
Because I understand that Biblical Zion is freedom from bondage. G-d's commandments are FREEDOM. That is what you don't understand. G-d never gives commandments to put His children into bondage.. That is just silly to the highest extreme...

We learn from history that we do not learn from history - Georg Friedrich Wilhelm Hegel

Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable, if anything is excellent or praiseworthy, think about such things. -Philippians 4:8
Gman
Old School

Post by Gman »

jlay wrote: How anyone can read the letter to the Galatians and make these assinine statements is beyond me.
Likewise... I can't see how someone can read Galatians and believe that G-d would send His commandments as curses to His people... Very very bizarre theology... G-d gave us His commandments to give LIFE, not as curses.. Nowhere in the NT does it ever say that His commandments are curses.. Nowhere.

jlay
Ultimate Member

Post by jlay »

Nowhere in the NT does it ever say that His commandments are curses.. Nowhere.
G,

We've been thru this. I really tire of having my positions twisted. Paul certainly speaks of the curse of the Law.
(Gal. 3) He speaks of the purposes of the Law.
24So the law was our guardian until Christ came that we might be justified by faith. 25 Now that this faith has come, we are no longer under a guardian.

Gal. 5:14 For the entire law is fulfilled in keeping this one command: “Love your neighbor as yourself.”
There is no need for Sabbath days, or any of those things.

The Law was given as a gaurdian, a schoolmaster. It brought death, a curse (Galatians 3:13), condmenation (2 Cor. 3:9), makes slaves (Galatians 4: 24-25), was added because of transgressions (Gal. 3:19), and was imperfect (Hebrews 8:6-13).
That was abolished. (Eph 2:14-16)

Heb. 7:18 The former regulation is set aside because it was weak and useless.
-“The Bible treated allegorically becomes putty in the hands of the exegete.” John Walvoord

"I'm not saying scientists don't overstate their results. They do. And it's understandable, too...If you spend years working toward a certain goal and make no progress, of course you are going to spin your results in a positive light." Ivellious
PaulSacramento
Board Moderator
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution

Post by PaulSacramento »

jlay wrote:
Nowhere in the NT does it ever say that His commandments are curses.. Nowhere.
G,

We've been thru this. I really tire of having my positions twisted. Paul certainly speaks of the curse of the Law.
24So the law was our guardian until Christ came that we might be justified by faith. 25 Now that this faith has come, we are no longer under a guardian.

Gal. 5:14 For the entire law is fulfilled in keeping this one command: “Love your neighbor as yourself.”

The Law was given as a gaurdian, a schoolmaster. It brought death, a curse (Galatians 3:13), condmenation (2 Cor. 3:9), makes slaves (Galatians 4: 24-25), was added because of transgressions (Gal. 3:19), and was imperfect (Hebrews 8:6-13).

Heb. 7:18 The former regulation is set aside because it was weak and useless.
I agree with Jlay on this.
At least in regards to Paul, it seems that he is making the case that the Law had "served it's purpose" and is now to be put in its proper place.
When Christ went over the commandments himself, you do not see any mention of the Sabbath for example or any of the other 600 + laws that we find in the Torah.
When the apostles made the statement against gentiles being circumcised they related what they must do and the Sabbath and the other Laws were not mentioned in that letter.
It seems that all of Galatians 5 is a statement to NOT go back to the "legalistic ways" of the past:

Galatians 5

New American Standard Bible (NASB)
Walk by the Spirit

5 (A)It was for freedom that Christ set us free; therefore (B)keep standing firm and do not be subject again to a (C)yoke of slavery.

2 Behold I, (D)Paul, say to you that if you receive (E)circumcision, Christ will be of no benefit to you. 3 And I (F)testify again to every man who receives (G)circumcision, that he is under obligation to (H)keep the whole Law. 4 You have been severed from Christ, you who are seeking to be justified by law; you have (I)fallen from grace. 5 For we through the Spirit, by faith, are (J)waiting for the hope of righteousness. 6 For in (K)Christ Jesus (L)neither circumcision nor uncircumcision means anything, but (M)faith working through love.

7 You were (N)running well; who hindered you from obeying the truth? 8 This persuasion did not come from (O)Him who calls you. 9 (P)A little leaven leavens the whole lump of dough. 10 (Q)I have confidence in you in the Lord that you (R)will adopt no other view; but the one who is (S)disturbing you will bear his judgment, whoever he is. 11 But I, brethren, if I still preach circumcision, why am I still (T)persecuted? Then (U)the stumbling block of the cross has been abolished. 12 I wish that (V)those who are troubling you would even (W)mutilate themselves.

13 For you were called to (X)freedom, brethren; (Y)only do not turn your freedom into an opportunity for the flesh, but through love (Z)serve one another. 14 For (AA)the whole Law is fulfilled in one word, in the statement, “(AB)You shall love your neighbor as yourself.” 15 But if you (AC)bite and devour one another, take care that you are not consumed by one another.

16 But I say, (AD)walk by the Spirit, and you will not carry out (AE)the desire of the flesh. 17 For (AF)the flesh sets its desire against the Spirit, and the Spirit against the flesh; for these are in opposition to one another, (AG)so that you may not do the things that you please. 18 But if you are (AH)led by the Spirit, (AI)you are not under the Law. 19 Now the deeds of the flesh are evident, which are: (AJ)immorality, impurity, sensuality, 20 idolatry, (AK)sorcery, enmities, (AL)strife, jealousy, outbursts of anger, (AM)disputes, dissensions, (AN)factions, 21 envying, (AO)drunkenness, carousing, and things like these, of which I forewarn you, just as I have forewarned you, that those who practice such things will not (AP)inherit the kingdom of God. 22 But (AQ)the fruit of the Spirit is (AR)love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, 23 gentleness, (AS)self-control; against such things (AT)there is no law. 24 Now those who belong to (AU)Christ Jesus have (AV)crucified the flesh with its passions and (AW)desires.

25 If we live by the Spirit, let us also walk (AX)by the Spirit. 26 Let us not become (AY)boastful, challenging one another, envying one another.
KBCid
Creation Position: Undecided

Post by KBCid »

KBC wrote: One cannot sin wilfully after knowing about Christ unless the laws and commandments that define what sin is are still in effect, and now with the new covenant Christ has magnified his fathers laws so that they are also considered in effect on the inward man as well and since one of those commands is to 'remember to keep the sabbath day holy' then we should always assert the honoring of that day just as God has defined that we should if we love him.
RickD wrote:KBC,First, the 10 commandments were given specifically to the Jews. Why some people keep ignoring that fact just shows they're not correctly interpreting scripture.
Rick I have never asserted that the 10 were not given to the Jews. However, The fact that they were first given to the Jews does not mean they are a Jewish only requirement. This would be like telling my children...

Daughter you are commanded by me not to steal... then many years later telling my son... Son you don't have to obey the command about stealing that I gave your sister because it was specifically given to her in another time.

According to the rationale you are using Rick no one is obligated to not murder, steal, covet, etc. because in your own words those "commandments were given specifically to the Jews" and since those were only specifically and absolutely given just to the Jews and we are not Jews then we are not obligated to obey them. This would mean that God intentionally gave the Jews rules of conduct that he knew would not be necessary for salvation and essentially a burden greater than a man can bear.
The obvious question would be why God would have greater requirements for the Jews than any other humans. Does the fact that we are gentiles in God's view somehow allows us to perform actions that were denied to the Jews to attain the same place in heaven?
RickD wrote:Romans 14:5-6 tells us that it is between a believer and God, if one wants to hold one day as more important than another. Romans 14:5-6 nasb 5 One person [c]regards one day above another, another regards every day alike. Each person must be fully convinced in his own mind. 6 He who observes the day, observes it for the Lord, and he who eats, [d]does so for the Lord, for he gives thanks to God; and he who eats not, for the Lord he does not eat, and gives thanks to God.l
You seem to think this small section of scripture is of itself the context of all meaning in reference to days but if you consider the context of who was being spoken to and also backup a chapter you will see some additional truths about its context.

First this epistle was to the romans. The roman government had the rule over all these people who were joining into the body of Christ as non-jews at that time so when the epistle was written its context in this part was in regard to dealing with earthly governmental control as is clearly shown here;

Rom 13:1 Let every soul be subject unto the higher powers. For there is no power but of God: the powers that be are ordained of God.
Rom 13:2 Whosoever therefore resisteth the power, resisteth the ordinance of God: and they that resist shall receive to themselves damnation.
Rom 13:3 For rulers are not a terror to good works, but to the evil. Wilt thou then not be afraid of the power? do that which is good, and thou shalt have praise of the same:
Rom 13:4 For he is the minister of God to thee for good. But if thou do that which is evil, be afraid; for he beareth not the sword in vain: for he is the minister of God, a revenger to execute wrath upon him that doeth evil.
Rom 13:5 Wherefore ye must needs be subject, not only for wrath, but also for conscience sake.
Rom 13:6 For for this cause pay ye tribute also: for they are God's ministers, attending continually upon this very thing.
Rom 13:7 Render therefore to all their dues: tribute to whom tribute is due; custom to whom custom; fear to whom fear; honour to whom honour.

It is clearly pointed out that the gentiles are subjects of a government other than God directly and the government had different considerations than God does so we are to do as the government directs with the POV that we are always doing it ultimately for God since no government exists without his authorization.
Note further that just a few lines down from this understanding was this gem;

Rom 13:8 Owe no man any thing, but to love one another: for he that loveth another hath fulfilled the law.
Rom 13:9 For this, Thou shalt not commit adultery, Thou shalt not kill, Thou shalt not steal, Thou shalt not bear false witness, Thou shalt not covet; and if there be any other commandment, it is briefly comprehended in this saying, namely, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself.
Rom 13:10 Love worketh no ill to his neighbour: therefore love is the fulfilling of the law.

Remember those commandments that you assert are for the Jews only? Well it is clearly being shown here in this message to gentiles that all those commandments apply to them as well because they were derivitives of the half of the royal law to love your neighbor. You cannot be deemed to love your neighbor if you break any of these commandments;

Rom 13:9 ...Thou shalt not commit adultery, Thou shalt not kill, Thou shalt not steal, Thou shalt not bear false witness, Thou shalt not covet; and if there be any other commandment, it is briefly comprehended in this saying, namely, Thou shalt love thy neighbour as thyself.

So if you look at what was written just prior to your snip of scripture we find that it is in reference to the new gentile roman recruits into the faith / body of Christ;

Rom 14:1 Him that is weak in the faith receive ye, but not to doubtful disputations.
Rom 14:2 For one believeth that he may eat all things: another, who is weak, eateth herbs.

This message is entirely in reference to new recruits who were previously living under strictly roman laws with their own traditions and customs. You should certinly read up on the life of a typical roman from Christs time and see their POV as it would apply when they made a decision to join with the newly forming Jewish / Christian religion.

Roman festivals
Festivals in ancient Rome were an important part of Roman religious life during both the Republican and Imperial eras, and one of the primary features of the Roman calendar. Feriae ("holidays" in the sense of "holy days"; singular also feriae or dies ferialis) were either public (publicae) or private (privatae). State holidays were celebrated by the Roman people and received public funding. Games (ludi), such as the Ludi Apollinares, were not technically feriae, but the days on which they were celebrated were dies festi, holidays in the modern sense of days off work. Although feriae were paid for by the state, ludi were often funded by wealthy individuals. Feriae privatae were holidays celebrated in honor of private individuals or by families.[1] This article deals only with public holidays, including rites celebrated by the state priests of Rome at temples, as well as celebrations by neighborhoods or families held simultaneously throughout Rome.

Feriae were of three kinds:
Stativae were annual holidays that held a fixed or stable date on the calendar.
Conceptivae were annual holidays that were moveable feasts (like Easter on the Christian calendar, or Thanksgiving in North America); the date was announced by the magistrates or priests who were responsible for them.
Imperativae were holidays held "on demand" (from the verb impero, imperare, "to order, command") when special celebrations or expiations were called for.[2]

Keeping the feriae
Varro defined feriae as "days instituted for the sake of the gods."[3] Religious rites were performed on the feriae, and public business was suspended. Even slaves were supposed to be given some form of rest. Cicero says specifically that people who were free should not engage in lawsuits and quarrels, and slaves should get a break from their labors.[4] Agricultural writers recognized that some jobs on a farm might still need to be performed, and specified what these were. Some agricultural tasks not otherwise permitted could be carried out if an expiation were made in advance (piaculum), usually the sacrifice of a puppy.[5] Within the city of Rome, the flamens and the priest known as the Rex sacrorum were not allowed even to see work done.

On a practical level, those who "inadvertently" worked could pay a fine or offer up a piaculum, usually a pig. Work considered vital either to the gods or preserving human life was excusable, according to some experts on religious law. Although Romans were required not to work, they were not required to take any religious action unless they were priests or had family rites (sacra gentilicia) to maintain.

List of festivals by month
Following is a month-by-month list of Roman festivals and games that had a fixed place on the calendar. For some, the date on which they were first established is recorded. A deity's festival often marked the anniversary (dies natalis, "birthday") of the founding of a temple, or a rededication after a major renovation. Festivals not named for deities are thought to be among the oldest on the calendar.[7]

Some religious observances were monthly. The first day of the month was the Kalends (or Calends, from which the English word "calendar" derives). Each Kalends was sacred to Juno, and the Regina sacrorum ("Queen of the Rites," a public priestess) marked the day by presiding over a sacrifice to the goddess. A pontiff and the Rex sacrorum reported the sighting of the new moon, and the pontiff announced whether the Nones occurred on the 5th or 7th of that month. On the Nones, announcements were made regarding events to take place that month; with the exception of the Poplifugia, no major festivals were held before the Nones, though other ceremonies, such as anniversaries of temple dedications, might be carried out. The Ides (usually the 13th, or in a few months the 15th) were sacred to Jupiter. On each Ides, a white lamb was led along the Via Sacra to the Capitolium for sacrifice to Jupiter.

The list also includes other notable public religious events such as sacrifices and processions that were observed annually but are neither feriae nor dies natales. Unless otherwise noted, the calendar is that of H.H. Scullard, Festivals and Ceremonies of the Roman Republic.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roman_festivals

Just as we observe labor day, easter, New Year's Day, Independence Day, Veterans Day,Thanksgiving. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Public_hol ... ted_States
So did the roman citizens, however, most of their festival days had a religious background that would conflict with the gospel teaching about a single God and the Christ who was the only way to heaven. So when gentiles with such a background were coming into the faith there would certainly be questions about how to deal with the plethora of government sanctioned festival days and the proper conduct of a 'roman Christian'. How would it look to other romans if you as a roman citizen did not comply with governmental rules and regulations about these 'holi-days' because you were a Christian?

The message from Paul to the romans was of course;
Rom 13:1 Let every soul be subject unto the higher powers. For there is no power but of God: the powers that be are ordained of God.-----Rom 13:7 Render therefore to all their dues: tribute to whom tribute is due; custom to whom custom; fear to whom fear; honour to whom honour.

So the esteemed days in question were not in reference to the only day of the week that God made holy but rather, the vast plethora of government sanctioned holi-days that God had nothing to do with and the message from Paul was that they (the roman citizens) should continue to observe these days and times as the government demanded... as long as... They did so with the understanding that they are ultimately obeying God since it is by him that the power to govern exists.
The apostles new that roman holidays were not Gods holidays and the new recruits new this as well and if you had been a roman citizen at that time who was changing their faith to Christianity then you would also be asking about this part of daily living under a government that was not directly God or Christ. We are to live in the world but not become of the world. We should certainly obey whatever government has the rule over our body but we are not to let them rule our minds / spirits, so if it was a state sanctioned holi-day to make an observance to the goddess estere we would be obligated to bodily go through the motions dictated by the government but we are supposed to make sure that our inner man does not follow it with belief.
It is as if some Christians sit there and wait for the smallest thing that they can dispute and then jump onto it...
The Bible says that we were each given an interpretation – this gift of interpretation is not there so we can run each other into the ground. It is there for our MUTUAL edification.
//www.allaboutgod.net/profiles/blogs/chri ... each-other
cheezerrox
Established Member
Christian: No

Post by cheezerrox »

Geeze.
I'd just like to establish one thing that seems to be a misunderstanding on both sides when it comes to this debate. About the "curse of the Law," Messianics and traditional Christians just have two different ways of interpreting the phrase. Messianics read Galatians 3:13 and see it not saying "the curse, which is the Law," but "the curse of the Law (that comes from disobedience, as explained in Deuteronomy 28:15-68).
At this point, I'm extremely disatisfied with this discussion on this forum. I don't agree with K, and Gman my brother, I love you, and we agree, but I believe your zeal's been misplaced. This discussion isn't being edifying.
I do believe that Torah is still our standard for living, even in Messiah, not for the purpose of salvation or sanctification, but just because it's G-d's standard that He gave for us to follow. And yet, there are believers who have the Spirit of G-d and are strong in the faith, and do great, amazing things for the furthering of the Kingdom, and dont believe the same thing. So, I cannot argue with G-d. It's obviously not something that affects if someone's useful to G-d or not, or if someone has a relationship with G-d. From now on, if anyone wants to know more about why I/Messianics believe what I/we believe, I'll be happy to explain, or even to debate with anyone who wants a healthy discussion. But I'm not trying to argue with my brothers and sisters, as if trying to convert them. The One Who convicts is the Spirit, that's not my job or in my ability. The work of G-d is to believe in the One He sent, anyone who does that is doing right. If someone knows the Messiah, they'll do right.
"The prophet is a man who feels fiercely. G-d has thrust a burden upon his soul, and he is bowed and stunned at man's fierce greed. Frightful is the agony of man; no human voice can convey its full terror. Prophecy is the voice that G-d has lent to the silent agony, a voice to the plundered poor, to the profaned riches of the world. It is a form of living, a crossing point of G-d and man."
- Abraham Joshua Heschel
Gman
Old School

Post by Gman »

jlay wrote:
G,

Yes.. Paul spoke of the "curse" of the law that Christ took for us, but he didn't say that G-d's commandment's were curses themselves... That is what you don't seem to understand. Christ took on the curses (from Torah) that should have been directed toward us and placed them on Himself. Once we come to Christ we don't need Torah to bring us back to Him again since we are believers as Gal 3:24-25 states.. But we still practice His commandments if we truly love Him. We are just not justified by it..
jlay wrote:Gal. 5:14 For the entire law is fulfilled in keeping this one command: “Love your neighbor as yourself.”
Again you have no working definition of love if you divorce yourself from G-d's commandments. It's ambiguous love...
jlay wrote:The Law was given as a gaurdian, a schoolmaster. It brought death, a curse (Galatians 3:13), condmenation (2 Cor. 3:9), makes slaves (Galatians 4: 24-25), was added because of transgressions (Gal. 3:19), and was imperfect (Hebrews 8:6-13).
No to all the above.. His commandments have not disappeared. We are still in the flesh and can easily obey the temptations of the flesh. But one day we will be free from our flesh.
jlay wrote:Heb. 7:18 The former regulation is set aside because it was weak and useless.
No.. G-d's commandments are love life and liberty.. John 15:10..

Gman
Old School

Post by Gman »

cheezerrox wrote: At this point, I'm extremely disatisfied with this discussion on this forum. I don't agree with K, and Gman my brother, I love you, and we agree, but I believe your zeal's been misplaced. This discussion isn't being edifying.
Cheeze, I admit I'm a little more of a hard hitter... I try not to sugar coat my messages as you can see. If I've offended you I'm sorry but sometimes I don't think the message get's through.
cheezerrox wrote:I do believe that Torah is still our standard for living, even in Messiah, not for the purpose of salvation or sanctification, but just because it's G-d's standard that He gave for us to follow. And yet, there are believers who have the Spirit of G-d and are strong in the faith, and do great, amazing things for the furthering of the Kingdom, and dont believe the same thing. So, I cannot argue with G-d. It's obviously not something that affects if someone's useful to G-d or not, or if someone has a relationship with G-d. From now on, if anyone wants to know more about why I/Messianics believe what I/we believe, I'll be happy to explain, or even to debate with anyone who wants a healthy discussion. But I'm not trying to argue with my brothers and sisters, as if trying to convert them. The One Who convicts is the Spirit, that's not my job or in my ability. The work of G-d is to believe in the One He sent, anyone who does that is doing right. If someone knows the Messiah, they'll do right.
Amen.. All I can say is that my life with Yeshua has grown much deeper since I've embraced the messianic lifestyle. I can't say what it will do for others, but it certainly has given me perspectives I wouldn't have understood before. A type of reverence.. But I realize now too it's not for everyone else either. It doesn't really how much you debate it.. You either see it or don't...

PaulSacramento
Board Moderator

Post by PaulSacramento »

Regardless of all this, it still seems to me ( and to a Jewish friend of mine that I asked to look at this thread to get his view), that people are still "picking and choosing" which Laws are valid and which are not since there was NO concrete statement by Christ on that regard.
jlay
Ultimate Member

Post by jlay »

Rick I have never asserted that the 10 were not given to the Jews. However, The fact that they were first given to the Jews does not mean they are a Jewish only requirement. This would be like telling my children...

Daughter you are commanded by me not to steal... then many years later telling my son... Son you don't have to obey the command about stealing that I gave your sister because it was specifically given to her in another time.
K, I think you are totally missing the point of the Law, and this is leading you into much error. Follow that through to its logical conclusions. Are you saying people had no way to know whether it was right or wrong to steal prior to the Law being given at Sinai? That is absurd.

The reality (and it is a scriptural reality) that we are not UNDER the Law does not mean it is OK to steal. If you need a written instruction to know that you shouldn't kill someone, then so be it. Obviously this was an issue in Paul's time, because he has to address this. In fact he addresses it in Romans.
Paul Sac is exactly right. People are picking and choosing based on what works for them.
Gman wrote:Yes.. Paul spoke of the "curse" of the law that Christ took for us, but he didn't say that G-d's commandment's were curses themselves... That is what you don't seem to understand. Christ took on the curses (from Torah) that should have been directed toward us and placed them on Himself. Once we come to Christ we don't need Torah to bring us back to Him again since we are believers as Gal 3:24-25 states.. But we still practice His commandments if we truly love Him. We are just not justified by it..
I understand it quite well. If we truly love God then we should be obedient to the faith, trusting what God has done, and specifically who God has appointed as our apostle for this time. You choose to go back to those old things that are now useless. You've made it clear that it isn't enought. That your performance shows you truly love God. Good luck with that.
Again you have no working definition of love if you divorce yourself from G-d's commandments. It's ambiguous love...
Completely and fundementally wrong. The definition of love is this. We are 1st loved by God. The one thing we all learned in the morality thread is that the GR is in the epistemological sense, objectively true. And it is ontologically sourced in the being and love of God. Which is exactly why Paul said the law is fulfilled when we love our neighbor. I don't need a rule to know that I would not want to have my possessions stolen. I don't need a rule to know that I am loved by God.
No.. G-d's commandments are love life and liberty.. John 15:10..
Again you conflate the word commandments to mean the Mosaic law. There is nothing in the context of John 14-17 that indicates this to be the case. Jesus gave the 12 specific commands they were to obey. I mean for pete sake, you couldn't do more diservice to the text. You import your own Judiazing notions and ignore the plain words of Christ Himself? Read John 15:12,17
My command is this: Love each other as I have loved you.

cheezerrox
Established Member
Christian: No

Post by cheezerrox »

Gman wrote:Cheeze, I admit I'm a little more of a hard hitter... I try not to sugar coat my messages as you can see. If I've offended you I'm sorry but sometimes I don't think the message get's through.
I understand you're passionate about this subject, and I hope you aren't implying I suger coat my messages. You haven't offended me, but have you considered why the message isn't getting through? For one, our message is about Yeshua, not Torah. It's one of salvation, not a lifestyle. And for two, if your message isn't getting through, it means the other people aren't being convicted by the Spirit through what you're saying. What I'm saying is that this discussion is now fruitless, it's gone beyond trying to show people another interpretation/understanding of the Scriptures, it's turned into trying to prove ourselves right and other people right. That's not how the Body should interact, unless someone's in serious doctrinal era. Edifying our brothers is more important than convincing them to keep Torah, because our strength is in our faith in Messiah, not our obedience to the mitzvot.
Amen.. All I can say is that my life with Yeshua has grown much deeper since I've embraced the messianic lifestyle. I can't say what it will do for others, but it certainly has given me perspectives I wouldn't have understood before. A type of reverence.. But I realize now too it's not for everyone else either. It doesn't really how much you debate it.. You either see it or don't...
Now, see, this is what I'm saying. Once I embraced the Messianic lifestyle and understanding of the Scriptures, it deepended my faith and my walk with G-d. But, as you've said, it is not for everyone, including Spirit-indwelled, sincere, righteous, saved believers. Debating is one thing, but arguing is another. It's good to share the Messianic understanding of the Bible with others, but we should not need to argue with them about it. The message will either convict or not, and if it doesn't, then that's that. Let's be careful not to forget about our first love, chaver.
"The prophet is a man who feels fiercely. G-d has thrust a burden upon his soul, and he is bowed and stunned at man's fierce greed. Frightful is the agony of man; no human voice can convey its full terror. Prophecy is the voice that G-d has lent to the silent agony, a voice to the plundered poor, to the profaned riches of the world. It is a form of living, a crossing point of G-d and man."
- Abraham Joshua Heschel
Gman
Old School

Post by Gman »

jlay wrote: I understand it quite well. If we truly love God then we should be obedient to the faith, trusting what God has done, and specifically who God has appointed as our apostle for this time. You choose to go back to those old things that are now useless. You've made it clear that it isn't enought. That your performance shows you truly love God. Good luck with that.
Again you are confused on the message of G-d.. G-d's message from Genesis to Revelation is LOVE... The whole thing is LOVE including all His commandments. They are not useless dribble and when we apply it in our lives we are blessed. According to Christ, they are life...

Matthew 19:16-17, “Now behold, one came and said to Him, “Good Teacher, what good thing shall I do that I may have eternal life? So He said to him, ‘Why do you call Me good? No one is good but One, that is, God. But if you want to enter into life, keep the commandments.’

Which commandments? The ones in the Torah... All of it.
jlay wrote:Completely and fundementally wrong. The definition of love is this. We are 1st loved by God. The one thing we all learned in the morality thread is that the GR is in the epistemological sense, objectively true. And it is ontologically sourced in the being and love of God. Which is exactly why Paul said the law is fulfilled when we love our neighbor. I don't need a rule to know that I would not want to have my possessions stolen. I don't need a rule to know that I am loved by God.
You don't need any rules? Do you suppose we live in chaos? Get rid of all our laws in our societies today that protect the innocent? Remove judges and policemen from their jobs? Sorry.. I'm not going to live in that chaotic world.
jlay wrote:Again you conflate the word commandments to mean the Mosaic law. There is nothing in the context of John 14-17 that indicates this to be the case. Jesus gave the 12 specific commands they were to obey. I mean for pete sake, you couldn't do more diservice to the text. You import your own Judiazing notions and ignore the plain words of Christ Himself? Read John 15:12,17
Judiazing? Bah humbug.. That silly belief was given by some scared theologian thousands of years ago... That is based on fear... Fear of what? G-d's commandments? If you have a problem with G-d's OT laws perhaps you could explain how these commandments are curses or bad for us...

Leviticus 19:34
34 The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the Lord your God.

Leviticus 25:17
17 Do not take advantage of each other, but fear your God. I am the Lord your God.

Leviticus 19:17
17 ‘You shall not hate your brother in your heart. You shall surely rebuke your neighbor, and not bear sin because of him.

Leviticus 25:35
35 ‘If one of your brethren becomes poor, and falls into poverty among you, then you shall help him, like a stranger or a sojourner, that he may live with you.

Exodus 22:22
22 “You shall not afflict any widow or fatherless child.

Leviticus 19:14
14 You shall not curse the deaf, nor put a stumbling block before the blind, but shall fear your God: I am the Lord.

Horrible stuff...
jlay wrote:My command is this: Love each other as I have loved you.
That is the ultimate goal of G-d's laws, but that is not the mechanics of law or love... Love needs a foundation too... You have no working definition of love outside of G-d's commandments.. y[-(

Gman
Old School

Post by Gman »

PaulSacramento wrote:Regardless of all this, it still seems to me ( and to a Jewish friend of mine that I asked to look at this thread to get his view), that people are still "picking and choosing" which Laws are valid and which are not since there was NO concrete statement by Christ on that regard.
That's right.. Picking and choosing. That is why we have to consider all of G-d's commandments.. Apply them where we can and consider others for the future too...