Manna

Discussions about the Bible, and any issues raised by Scripture.
stuartcr
Valued Member
Christian: No
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Undecided

Re: Manna

Post by stuartcr »

Nicki wrote:
stuartcr wrote:
EssentialSacrifice wrote:So you're looking for the questionable identity of a material from antiquity to make a potentially providential act more believeable ?
Yes. I figure if anyone could answer, it would come from this website.
:clap: Good on you, but I think the answer is it just happened - God decided to do it and he did, and he could have made the manna with any composition at all, the way he made the universe out of nothing.
Why didn't they just eat some of their flock? One would think that sometime during those 40 years, some sheep herder would have witnessed it's arrival and when it disappeared and there would be some record of that with a little more detail.
stuartcr
Valued Member

Post by stuartcr »

abelcainsbrother wrote:I will never understand how people can believe we can have this vast universe without a creator God yet doubt God can do miracles if he wants to.People give science a pass when it comes to evidence but demand evidence for God.It is easy to believe God can do miracles if he chooses to.
I have no doubt that God can do these things, I just question that He actually did.
stuartcr
Valued Member

Post by stuartcr »

EssentialSacrifice wrote:
Yes. I figure if anyone could answer, it would come from this website.
http://www.gotquestions.org/what-was-manna.html

no one has enough information to meet your requirements. if your saying "I'll believe" if, God, one of your children from 3000 years later can tell me what manna is made of.... then your belief in the providential act it took to create the manna is, perhaps, intentionally sabotaged.
I realize I can be wrong, that is why I ask. I ask, because I do not believe in this providential act.
Byblos
Old School
Christian: Yes

Post by Byblos »

stuartcr wrote:I realize I can be wrong, that is why I ask. I ask, because I do not believe in this providential act.
Are there any acts/miracles you believe to be providential?
Let us proclaim the mystery of our faith: Christ has died, Christ is risen, Christ will come again.

Lord I am not worthy that you should enter under my roof, but only say the word and my soul shall be healed.
EssentialSacrifice
Advanced Senior Member

Post by EssentialSacrifice »

I ask, because I do not believe in this providential act.
how does, or can, the substance make up of manna effect this providential belief or disbelief ?
The identity will answer my question. If the base material is unknown, then it makes the providential act even less believable.
What does manna need to be (identity) to change your disbelief ? and why ? How does it's makeup effect the providential act.(miracle)
Trust the past to God’s mercy, the present to God’s love, and the future to God’s providence. -St Augustine
stuartcr
Valued Member

Post by stuartcr »

Byblos wrote:
stuartcr wrote:I realize I can be wrong, that is why I ask. I ask, because I do not believe in this providential act.
None that I can think of.
stuartcr
Valued Member

Post by stuartcr »

I ask, because I do not believe in this providential act.
how does, or can, the substance make up of manna effect this providential belief or disbelief ?
The identity will answer my question. If the base material is unknown, then it makes the providential act even less believable.
What does manna need to be (identity) to change your disbelief ? and why ? How does it's makeup effect the providential act.(miracle)
If it was/is something that can be found in nature or reproduced and found to have the qualities stated in the bible, that would be a big step towards helping.
EssentialSacrifice
Advanced Senior Member

The Bible nowhere discusses the chemical composition of manna. All we are told is that “it was like coriander seed, white, and the taste of it was like wafers made with honey” (Exodus 16:31). Numbers 11:7 states that manna’s appearance was like “bdellium” or “resin.” Psalm 78:24 refers to manna as “grain from heaven,” and the next verse calls it “bread of angels.” So, manna seems to have been literal bread that God caused to miraculously appear each morning during the Israelites’ wilderness wanderings.
If it was/is something that can be found in nature
sounds very possible. When you look at miracles performed by God, they almost invariably make use of some prior act of His creation (water, fire,wind etc ...) to perform and be revealed as miraculous, even though it's merely simple manipulation of creation by He who is able to do so...
or reproduced and found to have the qualities stated in the bible
more difficult to do when the actual exact substance is unknown beyond the description above.
that would be a big step towards helping.
again, why ? how does the substance of manna effect the miraculous act and anyone's belief in the miracle.?
Trust the past to God’s mercy, the present to God’s love, and the future to God’s providence. -St Augustine
stuartcr
Valued Member

Post by stuartcr »

The Bible nowhere discusses the chemical composition of manna. All we are told is that “it was like coriander seed, white, and the taste of it was like wafers made with honey” (Exodus 16:31). Numbers 11:7 states that manna’s appearance was like “bdellium” or “resin.” Psalm 78:24 refers to manna as “grain from heaven,” and the next verse calls it “bread of angels.” So, manna seems to have been literal bread that God caused to miraculously appear each morning during the Israelites’ wilderness wanderings.
If it was/is something that can be found in nature
sounds very possible. When you look at miracles performed by God, they almost invariably make use of some prior act of His creation (water, fire,wind etc ...) to perform and be revealed as miraculous, even though it's merely simple manipulation of creation by He who is able to do so...
or reproduced and found to have the qualities stated in the bible
more difficult to do when the actual exact substance is unknown beyond the description above.
that would be a big step towards helping.
again, why ? how does the substance of manna effect the miraculous act and anyone's belief in the miracle.?
I can only speak for myself when I say it would have a very large effect on my belief, if it is something that can be reproduced.
EssentialSacrifice
Advanced Senior Member

if it is something that can be reproduced.
I'm positive it can be reproduced, but since God is the only one with the recipe, we'll need Him to do the work. y/:] ;)

Otherwise, I think it safe to say you've got a ways to go to get a very large effect on my belief
stuartcr
Valued Member

Post by stuartcr »

if it is something that can be reproduced.
I'm positive it can be reproduced, but since God is the only one with the recipe, we'll need Him to do the work. y/:] ;)

Otherwise, I think it safe to say you've got a ways to go to get a very large effect on my belief
You are correct. Unfortunately, that applies to all the miracles as far as I'm concerned. Thanks
EssentialSacrifice
Advanced Senior Member

Unfortunately, that applies to all the miracles
unfortunately ? why unfortunately ? y:-?
stuartcr
Valued Member

Post by stuartcr »

Unfortunately, that applies to all the miracles
unfortunately ? why unfortunately ? y:-?
Because you said that I have got a ways to go to get a very large effect on my belief
Byblos
Old School

Post by Byblos »

stuartcr wrote:
Byblos wrote:
None that I can think of.
Then why are you wasting our time asking about manna?
Let us proclaim the mystery of our faith: Christ has died, Christ is risen, Christ will come again.

Lord I am not worthy that you should enter under my roof, but only say the word and my soul shall be healed.
EssentialSacrifice
Advanced Senior Member

you said that I have got a ways to go to get a very large effect on my belief
but there's nothing unfortunate about this stuart, the longer your on the road ( got a ways to go ) the more opportunity, in both time and place God has to make contact. It's actually an experience to look forward to ! Be excited, not concerned. :esmile: