The Scientific Method of ID

Discussion about scientific issues as they relate to God and Christianity including archaeology, origins of life, the universe, intelligent design, evolution, etc.
IRQ Conflict
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Young-Earth Creationist

Post by IRQ Conflict »

jleslie48 wrote:
IRQ Conflict wrote:If A is false, what of B? if there are only two possible conclusions do we therfore have C?

If we pretend to have C, we may as well call A true.

Another way to look at this would be if A is false, look to B.

Not, A is false, what do you mean A is false? Keep looking at A till it's true!

A=false ~

Wow. considering the terseness of this statement it is hard to believe how many errors in logic you can pack into it. Thanks for playing.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Propositional_logic
Sorry, didn't mean to take up so little of your time. Here is a nice long page that should keep you busy for a while.Disjunctive Syllogism :)

God Bless!
Hellfire

1Ti 6:20 O Timothy, keep that which is committed to thy trust, avoiding profane and vain babblings, and oppositions of science falsely so called:
1Ti 6:21 Which some professing have erred concerning the faith. Grace be with thee. Amen.

"I have never let my schooling interfere with my education." - Mark Twain
BGoodForGoodSake
Ultimate Member
Christian: No

Post by BGoodForGoodSake »

IRQ Conflict wrote:
jleslie48 wrote:
IRQ Conflict wrote:If A is false, what of B? if there are only two possible conclusions do we therfore have C?

If we pretend to have C, we may as well call A true.

Another way to look at this would be if A is false, look to B.

Not, A is false, what do you mean A is false? Keep looking at A till it's true!

A=false ~

Wow. considering the terseness of this statement it is hard to believe how many errors in logic you can pack into it. Thanks for playing.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Propositional_logic
Sorry, didn't mean to take up so little of your time. Here is a nice long page that should keep you busy for a while.Disjunctive Syllogism :)

God Bless!
This is not an example of Disjunctive Syllogism.

In laymans terms, it's not an either or proposition.
It is not length of life, but depth of life. -- Ralph Waldo Emerson
IRQ Conflict

Post by IRQ Conflict »

You mean your post that A=false does not mean B=true?
Or the example in the link I provided?

I know, I screwed up. I thopught you were saying there were only two possible outcomes, so I incorectly read what you were saying. Still, a good read wouldn't you say? :)
Hellfire

1Ti 6:20 O Timothy, keep that which is committed to thy trust, avoiding profane and vain babblings, and oppositions of science falsely so called:
1Ti 6:21 Which some professing have erred concerning the faith. Grace be with thee. Amen.

IRQ Conflict

Post by IRQ Conflict »

Hellfire

Wall-dog
Established Member

Post by Wall-dog »

How does one identify something as irreducibly complex? Is it not true that irreducibly complex mechanisms get their label from the fact that there is no alternative explanation?
No. That's not how they get their label. Irreducibly complex mechanisms get labeled based on their inability to be simplified without completely losing their functionality. Take a piece off of a mouse-trap for example and it doesn't just function less. It stops functioning all together. The same is true for single-cell organisms. If you take out or seriously modify any part, they stop functioning all together. Because they cannot be reduced, they also could not have evolved from simpler lifeforms.
Yes an in physics the experiment is geared towards testing the causal force. So in this case we need to test for the existence of an intelligence.

You can do that easily. Take all the parts of a mousetrap and throw them in the air. Let them fall randomly. Do they assemble back into a mousetrap? Keep doing that until you are convinced that they aren't going to fall randomly together into a mousetrap. Then assemble them. If you would like, have others perform the same experiment to prove that the experiment is replicable.

Proving the existence of an intelligence is easy. We are created in God's image and on a small scale we can provide the intelligence necessary for the experiment. Proving God's intelligence would be more difficult. :)
Sorry, detecting additional instances does not test the hypothesis. All you have now are more observations. In other words, I can say I have detected a pulsar, and hypothesize that they are formed from collapsed stars. In essence you are saying that if I detect more pulsars that the case for my htpothesis has stregnthened. That simply is not the case.

I disagree. If I find them randomly then it proves nothing, but if I infer based on my theory that they must exist and then look for them based on that assumption, and then I find them, that fits the scientific method - provided of course that they are irreducibly complex as the theory predicts not only that they exist but also that they cannot be reduced.
Again this is not very scientific at all. We need to test the proposed processes we hypothesized were the source of these irreducibly complex systems.
Disassemble your mousetrap and throw it in the air a few more times.
So a human being is also irreducible because if I remove the heart he dies? What about a stack of bricks if I remove one brick it collapses.
I could probably get rid of a valve in the heart. I could probably remove a kidney, or an arm, or a leg. I can reduce a person and still have a person. I may not be able to remove everything, but I still can reduce. People are not irreducibly complex. People rather are reducibly complex.

A stack of bricks is not a mechanism. It doesn't perform a function anymore than the pile of mouse-trap parts will. Existance alone does not make a mechanism.
I can remove a chloroplast from a blue-green algae and it doesn't die. If I remove a vacuole from a paramecium it doesn't die either. This is the criteria for irreducible complexity? How do you explain the evidence for endosymbiosis?

Proving that some single cells have gone through a process of micro-evolution disproves nothing. That's particularly true based on your source, which says:
Both mitochondria and chloroplasts can arise only from preexisting mitochondria and chloroplasts. They cannot be formed in a cell that lacks them because nuclear genes encode only some of the proteins of which they are made.
So I need a pre-existing single-cell organism to get them.

Besides which, unless the pieces are assembled correctly they perform no function. The assembly of the irreducibly complex machine is what leads to a hypothosis of intelligence. It isn't the pieces but the assembly into a whole.
No you need to prove the mechanisms of Irreducible complexity scientifically first.

Think about it, at this point is that something exists. Then you are attributing it's existence to something else. You don't have any evidence for the causal force, and you don't have any definitive test for the observed phenemonon.

Disassemble your mousetrap and throw the pieces around again. The contention that irreducibly complex mechinisms do not require intelligence is certainly testable, as is the contention that they can be assembled with intelligence.
You don't need opposing theories to test something. You only need to test the mechanisms of your proposed hypothesis. SCIENCE doe not work by eliminating other theories. Occum's razor works by supporting the best experimentally backed hypothesis. Not the last man standing without a basis for support.
You are correct that you don't need opposing theories to test something. I wasn't saying you do. I was just saying that it makes it easier. I would hope you would agree with that. Let's talk about Occum's razor though. If I only have one theory then doesn't that theory automatically become the simplist explanation?
Please site your source.
Don't need to. Others in this thread have already done that. The Cambrian Explosion reduces the amount of time evolution had to a level insufficient for evolution to have occurred through random chance.
No, it doesn't matter ID should be able to be tested on it's own merit.
Throw the mousetrap pieces around then. I'm not saying you need alternative theories to perform tests. I'm just saying that when you have alternative theories it makes it easier to test. Most hypothesis can not be proven. They can only be disproven. It's easier to disprove a theory when there is another theory to test it against.

I like the contention that theories must stand entirely on their own merits though. The vast majority of theories would have to be thrown out as unscientific based on that. When a hypothesis is proven it becomes a law. If it's still a theory then it has not been proven. Should we throw out every sound hypothosis as unscientific because they can't be absolutely proven? Probably not. And we shouldn't hold ID to a higher standard either.
No you don't understand the rigiourous standards of science. I assure that science holds itself up to very tough standards. Feel free to go to any library nearby and peruse a scientific journal to see for yourself.

You will notice a very tentative and narrow language in the conclusions.
I disagree. I think I do understand the rigorous standards of science. I started my last post by quoting the scientific method.

Quote:
3. Use of the hypothesis to predict the existence of other phenomena, or to predict quantitatively the results of new observations.

If you try to simplify an irreducibly complex machine, it ceases to function. In the case of a single-cell organism, it dies.

Quote:
4. Performance of experimental tests of the predictions by several independent experimenters and properly performed experiments.

These tests have been done many times. Guess what happens? The single cell organisms die.
It's interesting that you didn't say anything about this part. Do you agree that this is a valid, scientific test?
Last edited by Wall-dog on Sun Feb 05, 2006 9:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
jleslie48
Acquainted Member

Post by jleslie48 »

IRQ Conflict wrote:More on thermodynamics

Ok, for the up-tienth time, here are the first two laws of thermodynamics:

First Law of Thermodynamics

The first law of thermodynamics is often called the Law of Conservation of Energy. This law suggests that energy can be transferred from one system to another in many forms. However, it can not be created nor destroyed. Thus, the total amount of energy available in the Universe is constant. Einstein's famous equation (written below) describes the relationship between energy and matter:
E = MC2

In the equation above, energy (E) is equal to matter (M) times the square of a constant (C). Einstein suggested that energy and matter are interchangeable. His equation also suggests that the quantity of energy and matter in the Universe is fixed.

Second Law of Thermodynamics

Heat can never pass spontaneously from a colder to a hotter body. As a result of this fact, natural processes that involve energy transfer must have one direction, and all natural processes are irreversible. This law also predicts that the entropy of an isolated system always increases with time. Entropy is the measure of the disorder or randomness of energy and matter in a system. Because of the second law of thermodynamics both energy and matter in the Universe are becoming less useful as time goes on. Perfect order in the Universe occurred the instance after the Big Bang when energy and matter and all of the forces of the Universe were unified.

( http://www.physicalgeography.net/fundamentals/6e.html )

Please note, the entropy part REQUIRES an isolated sytem. This is part of the LAW. In the postulate you linked to, ( answersingenesis.org/home/area/faq/thermodynamics.asp]thermodynamics[/url][/quote]
) takes it on its own dismiss the isolated system part. It also ignores that pesky little first part that einstein discovered that Mass and Energy are interchangable.

This is known in the debating world as the Straw Man fallacy. Please look it up. The skinny is, whatever [law???] the above website is saying that [evolution] is violating, it is clearly not the 2nd law of thermodynamics.

This is deceptive, innaccurate, and as a whole Non-Christian. A good Christian would not stoop to "tricking" people into believing a falsehood. If you want to have any credibility you cannot pass on a blatent falsehood as the truth.

P.S. I found the example of a the water flowing uphill, particualarly funny.
I kayak, and as anybody who river kayaks would know, there are plenty of eddies where water does flow upstream. In fact it is the first thing you learn when kayaking upstream is to use the backflow around bends becase in them is a stream of water that is flowing upstream. And the reason this doesn't violate the 2nd law of thermodynamics?? Because the little stream of water going upstream is not an isolated system. It requires the massive overwhelming force of the downstream volume to create the eddie.
IRQ Conflict

Post by IRQ Conflict »

Please note, the entropy part REQUIRES an isolated sytem.
Noted.

Dr John Ross of Harvard University states:
Ordinarily the second law is stated for isolated systems, but the second law applies equally well to open systems. … There is somehow associated with the field of far-from-equilibrium thermodynamics the notion that the second law of thermodynamics fails for such systems. It is important to make sure that this error does not perpetuate itself.
Hellfire

Wall-dog
Established Member

Post by Wall-dog »

You know, if you really wanted to get scientific you wouldn't just throw the pieces of the mousetrap up to see if they re-assemble themselves randomly. You'd start looking for all of the variables that help to determine how the pieces fall. You'd take into account gravity, the surface they were falling onto, the throw (probably the variable with the most variance), and everything else that could influence how the mousetrap pieces arrange themselves. Then you would diagram the results. You would perform the test many times and diagram the results each time. Eventually you would start to see paterns emerge. You would vary your variables. Instead of throwing the pieces you might roll them across the floor or drop them from a controlled height. As you continued to diagram the results you might begin to construct a formula showing the probability of different configurations based on changes in the variables. Further tests would help you refine and improve that formula.

I'll bet my bottom dollar that at the end of all your testing you would come to the same conclusion that ID proponents have come to - that pieces of a mousetrap will not assemble randomly into a functional mousetrap.

Is that or is that not a scientific approach?
jleslie48
Acquainted Member

Post by jleslie48 »

IRQ Conflict wrote:
Please note, the entropy part REQUIRES an isolated sytem.
Noted.

Dr John Ross of Harvard University states:
Ordinarily the second law is stated for isolated systems, but the second law applies equally well to open systems. … There is somehow associated with the field of far-from-equilibrium thermodynamics the notion that the second law of thermodynamics fails for such systems. It is important to make sure that this error does not perpetuate itself.

THAT IS THE STRAW MAN.

DR John Ross's Statement that "the law applies equally well ...", is a STATEMENT OF SOMETHING OTHER THAN THE 2nd LAW OF THERMODYNAMICS. Just because evolution violates Dr John Ross's statement, that doesn't mean anything about the original, completely accepted, unquestioned 2nd LAW OF THERMODYNAMICS which un-questionalble requires as a fundimental property, a closed system.

DR John Ross must first approach the World of physics, the Nobel Prize committee, the Entire world of Science and get the 2nd law of Thermodynamics RE-WRITTEN.

However as it is currently stated DR John Ross's claim has nothing to do with the properties associated with the 2nd law of dynamics.

To claim anything about the 2nd law of thermodynamics based on an open system is an absolute FALSHOOD BY DEFINITION. Knowingly stating a Falshood as true is a LIE. That is a horrible Sin. Period.

Can YOU PLEASE MOVE ON. YOU CANNOT CONTINUE THIS WITHOUT LYING. I DO NOT WANT TO BE RESPONSIBLE FOR YOU TO CONTINUE SINNING.
sandy_mcd
Esteemed Senior Member

Post by sandy_mcd »

Wall-dog wrote:
3. Use of the hypothesis to predict the existence of other phenomena, or to predict quantitatively the results of new observations.
This has also been achieved. This is how ID went from one irreducibly complex machine to hundreds of them.
I don't see how this is any kind of prediction whatsoever. Assuming the the existence of something ID, how does postulating a designer predict the existence of other ID things ? Certainly it works no better than my theory of non-uniqueness: if there is one of something, there is almost definitely going to be at least one more. It predicts everything your theory (I can't remember which post it was in, could you please refer me, thanks) does and is simpler.
sandy_mcd
Esteemed Senior Member

Post by sandy_mcd »

Wall-dog wrote:Irreducibly complex mechanisms get labeled based on their inability to be simplified without completely losing their functionality. Take a piece off of a mouse-trap for example and it doesn't just function less. It stops functioning all together. The same is true for single-cell organisms. If you take out or seriously modify any part, they stop functioning all together. ... I could probably get rid of a valve in the heart. I could probably remove a kidney, or an arm, or a leg. I can reduce a person and still have a person. I may not be able to remove everything, but I still can reduce. People are not irreducibly complex.
So it seems from this that a crucial aspect of ID is the definition of "piece" or "part". I can drill holes in the base of the mousetrap, remove/modify molecules or bigger units in a cell (as Bgood has pointed out), and it still works. So given some entity, what are the rules for defining "pieces" or "parts" in order to assess whether their removal signifies ID?
BGoodForGoodSake
Ultimate Member

Wall-dog wrote:
How does one identify something as irreducibly complex? Is it not true that irreducibly complex mechanisms get their label from the fact that there is no alternative explanation?
No. That's not how they get their label. Irreducibly complex mechanisms get labeled based on their inability to be simplified without completely losing their functionality. Take a piece off of a mouse-trap for example and it doesn't just function less. It stops functioning all together. The same is true for single-cell organisms. If you take out or seriously modify any part, they stop functioning all together. Because they cannot be reduced, they also could not have evolved from simpler lifeforms.
Mouse traps don't reproduce. They are produced by humans, it is human technology which is evolving not the mousetrap. The various components of the mousetrap were developed elsewhere and came together in a novel use and form. How does evolution not predict this? And how is this irreducible complexity?

Here's an example lets say we have component A. Now we add component B which changes the purpose of the component. And then finally we add C which amplifies A's effect. After time A becomes dependent on C. And B becomes dependent on A.

So now we have {~B } = ~A
and {~A} = C

Or ~B is dependant on ~A is dependant on C.

If we remove any component as you said it falls apart. But is it unevolvable in principal? No.

Thus in principal irreducible complexity can be a result of gradual changes. In order to counter this argument, one needs to show that a component cannot be modified after new componenets are added. Or that componenets have not been modified. So again how do you show that something is irreducibly complex?
Wall-dog wrote:
Yes an in physics the experiment is geared towards testing the causal force. So in this case we need to test for the existence of an intelligence.

You can do that easily. Take all the parts of a mousetrap and throw them in the air. Let them fall randomly. Do they assemble back into a mousetrap?
:arrow: Sorry again mousetraps don't reproduce.
:arrow: And disproving one theory does not prove another.
:arrow: You're using limitations and absurdities as proof.
Wall-dog wrote: Keep doing that until you are convinced that they aren't going to fall randomly together into a mousetrap. Then assemble them. If you would like, have others perform the same experiment to prove that the experiment is replicable.
One can watch the componenets of a cell being assembled. Try it. The cell does the assemble.
Wall-dog wrote:Proving the existence of an intelligence is easy. We are created in God's image and on a small scale we can provide the intelligence necessary for the experiment. Proving God's intelligence would be more difficult. :)
I don't understand.
Wall-dog wrote:
Sorry, detecting additional instances does not test the hypothesis. All you have now are more observations. In other words, I can say I have detected a pulsar, and hypothesize that they are formed from collapsed stars. In essence you are saying that if I detect more pulsars that the case for my htpothesis has stregnthened. That simply is not the case.
I disagree. If I find them randomly then it proves nothing, but if I infer based on my theory that they must exist and then look for them based on that assumption, and then I find them, that fits the scientific method - provided of course that they are irreducibly complex as the theory predicts not only that they exist but also that they cannot be reduced.
Again not scientific. I can say that the appearance of shapes in the clouds are signs from a higher intellegence and is evidence for his existence. Then if I find more shapes in the clouds I have proven this case?

No, one needs to show how the causal and the phenomenon are related. A metaphysical or philosophical connection is not enough to be considered scientific. Experiments need to show this causal relationship.
Wall-dog wrote:
Again this is not very scientific at all. We need to test the proposed processes we hypothesized were the source of these irreducibly complex systems.
Disassemble your mousetrap and throw it in the air a few more times.
Again it is clear in science that mousetraps don't reproduce. It is also clear that cells do.
Wall-dog wrote:
So a human being is also irreducible because if I remove the heart he dies? What about a stack of bricks if I remove one brick it collapses.
I could probably get rid of a valve in the heart. I could probably remove a kidney, or an arm, or a leg. I can reduce a person and still have a person. I may not be able to remove everything, but I still can reduce. People are not irreducibly complex. People rather are reducibly complex.
So what happenes if a new discovery finds that a previously beleived irreducibly complex system is not so?
Wall-dog wrote:A stack of bricks is not a mechanism. It doesn't perform a function anymore than the pile of mouse-trap parts will. Existance alone does not make a mechanism.
Ok how about a stack of girls in a human pyramid?
Wall-dog wrote:
I can remove a chloroplast from a blue-green algae and it doesn't die. If I remove a vacuole from a paramecium it doesn't die either. This is the criteria for irreducible complexity? How do you explain the evidence for endosymbiosis?

Proving that some single cells have gone through a process of micro-evolution disproves nothing. That's particularly true based on your source, which says:
Both mitochondria and chloroplasts can arise only from preexisting mitochondria and chloroplasts. They cannot be formed in a cell that lacks them because nuclear genes encode only some of the proteins of which they are made.
So I need a pre-existing single-cell organism to get them.

Besides which, unless the pieces are assembled correctly they perform no function. The assembly of the irreducibly complex machine is what leads to a hypothosis of intelligence. It isn't the pieces but the assembly into a whole.
I think you missed the whole point, the evidence leads one to the possibility that the current eukaryotic cell is a result of a cell engulfing smaller microbes. So how is a cell irreducible? Also the assembly of components in the cell occur in the cell, are you saying that everytime a cell divides that some mysterious process constructs the components?
Wall-dog wrote:
No you need to prove the mechanisms of Irreducible complexity scientifically first.
Think about it, at this point is that something exists. Then you are attributing it's existence to something else. You don't have any evidence for the causal force, and you don't have any definitive test for the observed phenemonon.

Disassemble your mousetrap and throw the pieces around again. The contention that irreducibly complex mechinisms do not require intelligence is certainly testable, as is the contention that they can be assembled with intelligence.
lol again mousetraps don't reproduce, human ideas do. As well as cells. So a virus is intelligent because it can replicate itself? What about mold, ir floats in the air and lands on your bread, and it is exhibiting intelligence because it is reproducing?
Wall-dog wrote:
You don't need opposing theories to test something. You only need to test the mechanisms of your proposed hypothesis. SCIENCE doe not work by eliminating other theories. Occum's razor works by supporting the best experimentally backed hypothesis. Not the last man standing without a basis for support.
You are correct that you don't need opposing theories to test something. I wasn't saying you do. I was just saying that it makes it easier. I would hope you would agree with that.
ABSOLUTELY NOT
Wall-dog wrote:Let's talk about Occum's razor though. If I only have one theory then doesn't that theory automatically become the simplist explanation?
The only experimentally backed theory is the theory of evolution.
Please site your source.
Don't need to. Others in this thread have already done that. The Cambrian Explosion reduces the amount of time evolution had to a level insufficient for evolution to have occurred through random chance.[/quote]How did you reach this conclusion? Are you arguing from incredulity? lol
In other words do you know enough about the driving forces of evolution to boldly proclaim this? Take a look at the fossils from the cambrian explosion, what do you see?
Wall-dog wrote:
No, it doesn't matter ID should be able to be tested on it's own merit.
Throw the mousetrap pieces around then. I'm not saying you need alternative theories to perform tests. I'm just saying that when you have alternative theories it makes it easier to test. Most hypothesis can not be proven. They can only be disproven. It's easier to disprove a theory when there is another theory to test it against.
Again it is quite clear that cells replicate themselves. The theory of evolution is built around the observation that this process is imperfect.
Wall-dog wrote:I like the contention that theories must stand entirely on their own merits though. The vast majority of theories would have to be thrown out as unscientific based on that. When a hypothesis is proven it becomes a law. If it's still a theory then it has not been proven.
ABSOLUTELY NOT TRUE.
:arrow: A cientific law is like a mathematical postulate. Sometimes it can be written as a single equation. It is a simple fact which has been observed many times to be true and does not require a complicated proof.
:arrow: A scientific theory is an explanation of a set of related observations or events based upon proven hypotheses and verified multiple times by detached groups of researchers. One scientist cannot create a theory; he can only create a hypothesis.
Wall-dog wrote:Should we throw out every sound hypothosis as unscientific because they can't be absolutely proven? Probably not. And we shouldn't hold ID to a higher standard either.
LOL
I am not asking it to absolutely proven
. I am asking for a hyposthesis upon which we can devise an experiment. Throwing mousetraps and pointing out IC system though enjoyable does not experimentally show how the mechanisms of ID exist or don't exist.
Wall-dog wrote:
No you don't understand the rigiourous standards of science. I assure that science holds itself up to very tough standards. Feel free to go to any library nearby and peruse a scientific journal to see for yourself.

You will notice a very tentative and narrow language in the conclusions.
I disagree. I think I do understand the rigorous standards of science. I started my last post by quoting the scientific method.
That shows that you understand? The rest of your post shows otherwise.
Wall-dog wrote:Quote:

If you try to simplify an irreducibly complex machine, it ceases to function. In the case of a single-cell organism, it dies.
Again removing parts does not prove that the cell came into the world fully formed. I can show you under a microscope a cell being constructed.

Also refer to the proof above. This simply does not show that something is irreducible complex.
Wall-dog wrote:Quote:
4. Performance of experimental tests of the predictions by several independent experimenters and properly performed experiments.

These tests have been done many times. Guess what happens? The single cell organisms die.
Wall-dog wrote:It's interesting that you didn't say anything about this part. Do you agree that this is a valid, scientific test?

I did respond. see below And no it is not a valid test. The responsibility of a scientisit is to understand the short commings of an experiment. It is imperative that the conclusions are as tettative and narrow as possible as one must understand that the hypothesis proposed may have only been partially backed or that a better explanantion may exist. In this case the results only show that removing components results in cell death. As has been explained before seemingly irreducible complex systems can arrise from modifications of components after integration.
Wall-dog wrote: 3. Use of the hypothesis to predict the existence of other phenomena, or to predict quantitatively the results of new observations.
Wall-dog wrote: 4. Performance of experimental tests of the predictions by several independent experimenters and properly performed experiments.
[urlhttp://users.rcn.com/jkimball.ma.ultranet/BiologyPages/E/Endosymbiosis.html [/url]
Wall-dog
Established Member

Post by Wall-dog »

I don't see how this is any kind of prediction whatsoever. Assuming the the existence of something ID, how does postulating a designer predict the existence of other ID things ? Certainly it works no better than my theory of non-uniqueness: if there is one of something, there is almost definitely going to be at least one more. It predicts everything your theory (I can't remember which post it was in, could you please refer me, thanks) does and is simpler.
The prediction is that given a similar situation you will find another irreducibly complex machine. Your theory of non-uniqueness is irrevelant in that both your theory and ID can be correct. If the use of an irreducibly complex machine works in one situation, wouldn't an intelligent designer likely use the same technique again? The assertion that something is not unique does not imply how that thing got there. Both theories bear merit and both can be true.
So it seems from this that a crucial aspect of ID is the definition of "piece" or "part". I can drill holes in the base of the mousetrap, remove/modify molecules or bigger units in a cell (as Bgood has pointed out), and it still works. So given some entity, what are the rules for defining "pieces" or "parts" in order to assess whether their removal signifies ID?
I would say that the words 'reduce' and 'simplify' are probably more important. Drilling a hole in a mousetrap would actually make it more complex.

Find a single molecule you can remove from a living cell and maintain a living cell. There is no such cell and even if there were all that would suggest is the possibility for micro-evolution within the cell. It still wouldn't explain how the first cell was produced. You might be able to replace a piece of a cell, but that's not simplifying or reducing it. Plus, you replacing a part on a cell demonstrates that intelligence can do such things, which strengthens the argument for ID rather than diminishing it. You and I after all are intelligent. Given the right tools and the right knowledge we can certainly modify cells or even design them from scratch. But for them to happen as a matter of random chance?
BGoodForGoodSake
Ultimate Member

Wall-dog wrote: The prediction is that given a similar situation you will find another irreducibly complex machine. Your theory of non-uniqueness is irrevelant in that both your theory and ID can be correct. If the use of an irreducibly complex machine works in one situation, wouldn't an intelligent designer likely use the same technique again? The assertion that something is not unique does not imply how that thing got there. Both theories bear merit and both can be true.
I would say that the words 'reduce' and 'simplify' are probably more important. Drilling a hole in a mousetrap would actually make it more complex.

Find a single molecule you can remove from a living cell and maintain a living cell. There is no such cell and even if there were all that would suggest is the possibility for micro-evolution within the cell. It still wouldn't explain how the first cell was produced. You might be able to replace a piece of a cell, but that's not simplifying or reducing it. Plus, you replacing a part on a cell demonstrates that intelligence can do such things, which strengthens the argument for ID rather than diminishing it. You and I after all are intelligent. Given the right tools and the right knowledge we can certainly modify cells or even design them from scratch. But for them to happen as a matter of random chance?
Again you are arguing from inceredulity, you're sayin "naw, it can't be chance there must be another answer..."

That is not a testable hypothesis by a long shot.

It only makes sense that our technology is limited to what is actually possible in nature. That does not stregnthen you're argument.
Wall-dog
Established Member

Post by Wall-dog »

Mouse traps don't reproduce. They are produced by humans, it is human technology which is evolving not the mousetrap. The various components of the mousetrap were developed elsewhere and came together in a novel use and form. How does evolution not predict this? And how is this irreducible complexity?
The first living cell didn't reproduce either until after it was created. The lack of reproductive ability in a mousetrap does not detract from the experiment. Making a mousetrap out of its components is actually much simpler than making a single living cell out of its components.

Evolution would only predict the mousetrap if a reduced mousetrap performed some function. With a cell, it would die if it were missing a component. Evolutionary change implies small changes over time. I think you've said before that all evolution is on a micro-level. If you could take an irreducible mechanism and reduce it into another mechanism that performs a different function you might be able to argue that a small micro-evolutionary change could produce the new mechanism that performs the new function. But you can't do that. A pile of mousetrap parts performs no function. A single cell assembled incorrectly does nothing - it doesn't even live.
Here's an example lets say we have component A. Now we add component B which changes the purpose of the component. And then finally we add C which amplifies A's effect. After time A becomes dependent on C. And B becomes dependent on A.

So now we have {~B } = ~A
and {~A} = C

Or ~B is dependant on ~A is dependant on C.

If we remove any component as you said it falls apart. But is it unevolvable in principal? No.

Thus in principal irreducible complexity can be a result of gradual changes. In order to counter this argument, one needs to show that a component cannot be modified after new componenets are added. Or that componenets have not been modified. So again how do you show that something is irreducibly complex?
First off, I wouldn't use the term 'unevolvable' because I don't believe irreducibly complex mechanisms evolved. Second, if I can't knock-down evolution to support ID then you shouldn't be allowed to knock-down ID to support evolution. You're breaking your own rule. :) Thirdly, I should be able to in your example modify A,B, and C such that they are no longer reliant on each other. Then I'd be able to reduce them. Thus your example wouldn't be an irreducibly complex mechanism.

How do you show that something is irreducibly complex? That's a really good question. The mousetrap is a common example used to demonstrate the concept of irreducible complexity in simple terms but in fact I have no idea if a mousetrap is irreducibly complex or not. It's great as an tool to illustrate though. In the case of a single-cell organism it's irreducibly complex because it can't survive without all of its components.
Sorry again mousetraps don't reproduce.
And disproving one theory does not prove another.
You're using limitations and absurdities as proof.
My contention was merely that ID fits inside the scientific method. I don't need to abilty to reproduce mousetraps to setup a sound experiment based on them. There were also two parts to the theory. I didn't just say throw pieces in the air. I also said to assemble them yourself into a mousetrap. In that case you become the intelligent creator. Your ability to assemble the mousetrap proves that an intelligent creator can assemble irreducible mechanisms.

Is there something in the sceintific method that doesn't allow me to use limitations and absurdities as proof? It's not my fault that it's absurd to imagine a world without ID...
One can watch the componenets of a cell being assembled. Try it. The cell does the assemble.
The same intelligence that created the first cell also encoded it with the ability to reproduce. The theory of ID covers that. In fact, DNA is another item often called irreducibly complex and used as proof of an intelligent creator.
I don't understand.
Sure you do. Your ability to assemble a mousetrap proves that an intelligent designer can assemble irreducibly complex mechanisms. We are intelligent. We know intelligent design happens. It happens every day. Everything mankind builds was intelligently designed. The question then isn't whether or not intelligent design occurs, but rather whether it occurred with mechanisms man did not create. The reason ID scientists look for irreducbily complex mechanisms is because they want to use things that other theories can't address.
Again not scientific. I can say that the appearance of shapes in the clouds are signs from a higher intellegence and is evidence for his existence. Then if I find more shapes in the clouds I have proven this case?

No, one needs to show how the causal and the phenomenon are related. A metaphysical or philosophical connection is not enough to be considered scientific. Experiments need to show this causal relationship.
I'll further illustrate my point by flipping things over. Proving that evolution could have happened wouldn't prove that it did happen either. If ID fails the scientific sniff test based on that, so does evolution.
So what happenes if a new discovery finds that a previously beleived irreducibly complex system is not so?
The same thing that happens when a new fossil disproves a piece of evolution. Either the theory is discarded or it is modified to account for the new discovery. Except that you don't seem willing to discard evolution based on the Cambrian Explosion. But that's really not topical - it would make a good separate thread though.
Ok how about a stack of girls in a human pyramid?
What function does the fact that they are in a pyramid perform?
I think you missed the whole point, the evidence leads one to the possibility that the current eukaryotic cell is a result of a cell engulfing smaller microbes. So how is a cell irreducible? Also the assembly of components in the cell occur in the cell, are you saying that everytime a cell divides that some mysterious process constructs the components?
I think maybe you are missing the point. A cell can't engulf smaller microbes if it does not first exist. At best this is a case of micro-evolution. The first cell is the one that really counts. As the first cell had DNA, it was encoded to reproduce and interact with its environment (including other cells) by the same intelligence that created it. ID covers that.
lol again mousetraps don't reproduce, human ideas do. As well as cells. So a virus is intelligent because it can replicate itself? What about mold, ir floats in the air and lands on your bread, and it is exhibiting intelligence because it is reproducing?
All of these things imply intelligence. Mousetraps imply not their own intelligence, but rather the intelligence of the person who assembled it. Viruses, molds, fungi, etc. illustrate not their own intelligence, but rather the intelligence of the designer than created them. Keep in mind that DNA is often used as another example of 'proof' for an intelligent designer. Why can't God be a programmer? think about how complex a single strand of DNA is!
The only experimentally backed theory is the theory of evolution.
ABSOLUTELY NOT!!
In other words do you know enough about the driving forces of evolution to boldly proclaim this? Take a look at the fossils from the cambrian explosion, what do you see?

What I see is a transition from single-cell organisms to complex organisms in a timeframe that evolution says must have taken much longer than the fossil record gives it. On a cosmic scale, it was literally over night.
Again it is quite clear that cells replicate themselves. The theory of evolution is built around the observation that this process is imperfect.
Which only accounts for microevolution.
A scientific theory is an explanation of a set of related observations or events based upon proven hypotheses and verified multiple times by detached groups of researchers. One scientist cannot create a theory; he can only create a hypothesis.
How many scientists have to play with mousetraps before ID becomes a bonafide theory then?
I am not asking it to absolutely proven. I am asking for a hyposthesis upon which we can devise an experiment. Throwing mousetraps and pointing out IC system though enjoyable does not experimentally show how the mechanisms of ID exist or don't exist.
Forget the mousetrap then. For that matter, forget irreducibly complex mechanisms. If the theory is that intelligence can create complex mechanisms, then the car, the airplane, the space shuttle, and this computer all qualify. Intelligent design has been proven. The question isn't really whether or not intelligent design occurs. The question is whether or not it accounts for things like the origin of life. Scientists use irreducibly complex mechanisms because of the lack for other theories to explain their creation. ID happens every day. My Ford Ranger was assembled by intelligent UAW workers.
That shows that you understand? The rest of your post shows otherwise.
Enlighten me then, because from my perspective it looks like you are saying that if I don't agree with you then I must not understand. Frankly, that's a cop-out.
Again removing parts does not prove that the cell came into the world fully formed. I can show you under a microscope a cell being constructed.

Also refer to the proof above. This simply does not show that something is irreducible complex.
Saying that nothing is irreducibly complex is probably the best argument one can make against ID. But that argument doesn't hold water. There are too many examples of things that scientists haven't been able to reduce. And even if it did, so what? You've said yourself that it isn't scientific to use a disproof for one theory as proof of another - that the experimentation should be separate. If nothign is irreducibly complex, that doesn't mean intelligence couldn't create it. All that means is that maybe there is an alternative theory. I can demonstrate ID. I do that everytime I drive my truck.
I did respond. see below And no it is not a valid test. The responsibility of a scientisit is to understand the short commings of an experiment. It is imperative that the conclusions are as tettative and narrow as possible as one must understand that the hypothesis proposed may have only been partially backed or that a better explanantion may exist. In this case the results only show that removing components results in cell death. As has been explained before seemingly irreducible complex systems can arrise from modifications of components after integration.
Seemingly irreducible complex systems can only arrise from modification if the components modified into them can exist. The idea that a bunch of dead cells may slowly evolve until they have all the components they need to become alive is absurd. They can't reproduce until they are alive, and they can't be alive without all the correct components. You can argue that a mousetrap isn't irreducibly complex, but you'll have a harder time arguing that against the single-cell organism. You may say that some single celled organisms are reducible, but they are only reducible into other single celled organisms.