Leviticus 19:28 says Tatoos are a No No

Are you a sincere seeker who has questions about Christianity, or a Christian with doubts about your faith? Post them here to receive a thoughtful response.
PaulSacramento
Board Moderator
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution

Re: Leviticus 19:28 says Tatoos are a No No

Post by PaulSacramento »

As I mentioned on another thread, I have family members that are JW's and their whole notion of Grace is quite interesting.
Suffice to say that for many, the concept of salvation without being dependent works in incomprehensible.
zacchaeus
Valued Member

Post by zacchaeus »

Agreed, but with your permission I would like to send a personal message so that it might not bring any hindrance to the public view of this forum. I wouldn't want to become a stumbling block unto anyone. Please don't think I totally disagree with your position, because I don't; a lot I agree with as well. In any event I want to say this to you and to everyone, "Just be as Christ-like as you can and/or know how to be".
Canuckster1127
Old School

Post by Canuckster1127 »

zacchaeus wrote:Agreed, but with your permission I would like to send a personal message so that it might not bring any hindrance to the public view of this forum. I wouldn't want to become a stumbling block unto anyone. Please don't think I totally disagree with your position, because I don't; a lot I agree with as well. In any event I want to say this to you and to everyone, "Just be as Christ-like as you can and/or know how to be".
You're always welcome to PM me. Further, you or anyone else is by no means obligated or expected to agree with me or with anyone else. We have a broad spectrum of participants from different backgrounds mostly within Christianity but we also have agnostics and atheists who participate.

So, discussion and passionate belief on important issues such as this are welcome. We have a board purpose and discussion guidelines to try and maintain some health and to keep this as safe and as pleasant a forum as possible. Further there is a statement of faith on the main board as established by the Board Host, Rich Deem. Not everyone here holds to every element. We're not a church here. We're a community that is welcome to discuss many broad elements of things.

So, while I think most of my positions personally fall within the scope of the Board's statement of faith, I'm speaking only for myself in having this discussion. From the perspective of Board Participation you're welcome to discuss these issues and welcome to disagree as you see fit.

blessings,

bart
Dogmatism is the comfortable intellectual framework of self-righteousness. Self-righteousness is more decadent than the worst sexual sin. ~ Dan Allender
zacchaeus
Valued Member

Post by zacchaeus »

Trust me brother Bart, I am in no way being nor do I feel obligated, trust me; I think you know that I would def speak my mind. Thanks for the challenges... I've been more in the word these past couple of weeks and I love it; so for that sir, I thank you. Yes, I will message you lol.

In His Nailed Scar Hands...
DRDS
Creation Position: Undecided

Post by DRDS »

I noticed that this is a very old thread and I hope that no one bothers me replying to such an old thread but I did have a question concerning a verse in Revelation about Christ having the inscription "KING OF KINGS AND LORD OF LORDS" written on his thigh. I've heard from a few believers who not only have tatoos but defend them and say they are not sinning in any way. They like to point that specific verse out and say "look, Christ clearly has tatoos on Him at this time". I'm pretty sure that's not the correct way to interpret that verse. But what is the right interpretation? And what would I say to those who think it is literal?

Also on a random note, speaking about Christ's resurrected body, does anyone know if He has actual holes (see through holes) in His hands and feet or would there just be scarred marks? Just curious. But anyways, thanks for your time.
zacchaeus
Valued Member

Post by zacchaeus »

Rev 19:16 ... God cannot go against His WORD!!! He is clearly against tattoos and marking our body, and besides once we accept Him we no longer belong to ourselves and our bodies are the temple of GOD!!! The scripture once interpreted correctly and in context has the inscription "King of Kings Lord of Lords" on His vesture... which is upon or over His thigh!!!
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member
Creation Position: Day-Age

Post by RickD »

I want to get a tattoo of myself on my entire body, only 2" taller.-Steven Wright
John 5:24
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

“A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.”
-Edward R Murrow

St. Richard the Sarcastic--The Patron Saint of Irony
Canuckster1127
Old School

Post by Canuckster1127 »

God's "Word" is Jesus Christ and one of the reason's the Pharisees of His time of earthly ministry got so wrapped around the axle over Him is that that had come to the place of elevating the form (written scriptures read legalistically) over the substance (spirit and purpose pointing to Jesus) to where the scriptures became an impedement to them seeing Jesus who was right before them.
John 5:31-47

31 “If I testify about myself, my testimony is not true. 32 There is another who testifies in my favor, and I know that his testimony about me is true.

33 “You have sent to John and he has testified to the truth. 34 Not that I accept human testimony; but I mention it that you may be saved. 35 John was a lamp that burned and gave light, and you chose for a time to enjoy his light.

36 “I have testimony weightier than that of John. For the works that the Father has given me to finish—the very works that I am doing—testify that the Father has sent me. 37 And the Father who sent me has himself testified concerning me. You have never heard his voice nor seen his form, 38 nor does his word dwell in you, for you do not believe the one he sent. 39 You study[c] the Scriptures diligently because you think that in them you have eternal life. These are the very Scriptures that testify about me, 40 yet you refuse to come to me to have life.

41 “I do not accept glory from human beings, 42 but I know you. I know that you do not have the love of God in your hearts. 43 I have come in my Father’s name, and you do not accept me; but if someone else comes in his own name, you will accept him. 44 How can you believe since you accept glory from one another but do not seek the glory that comes from the only God[d]?

45 “But do not think I will accuse you before the Father. Your accuser is Moses, on whom your hopes are set. 46 If you believed Moses, you would believe me, for he wrote about me. 47 But since you do not believe what he wrote, how are you going to believe what I say?” (NIV)

Note the similar themes with Romans in this address by Jesus directly to the Pharisees. This type of elevation of Moses over Jesus is still very strong and alive and well in many Christian traditions and the same comments Jesus directed to the Pharisees in His ministry days are applicable to the spirit of Phariseeism, legalism and works based righteousness that remains today and will continue to remain and be revered until Jesus comes again and once and for all exposes it for what it is.
Dogmatism is the comfortable intellectual framework of self-righteousness. Self-righteousness is more decadent than the worst sexual sin. ~ Dan Allender
DRDS

Post by DRDS »

DRDS wrote:I noticed that this is a very old thread and I hope that no one bothers me replying to such an old thread but I did have a question concerning a verse in Revelation about Christ having the inscription "KING OF KINGS AND LORD OF LORDS" written on his thigh. I've heard from a few believers who not only have tatoos but defend them and say they are not sinning in any way. They like to point that specific verse out and say "look, Christ clearly has tatoos on Him at this time". I'm pretty sure that's not the correct way to interpret that verse. But what is the right interpretation? And what would I say to those who think it is literal?

Also on a random note, speaking about Christ's resurrected body, does anyone know if He has actual holes (see through holes) in His hands and feet or would there just be scarred marks? Just curious. But anyways, thanks for your time.

^ Hw com no one rspnd two mi pst? ( insert cute kitty cat picture here) :D
zacchaeus
Valued Member

Post by zacchaeus »

D- what do you mean, we did, or at least I did... and I don't have a cute kitty pic!!!
DRDS

Post by DRDS »

Oh! Ok I saw it. I didn't see it the first time when I was scrolling. I guess I was scrolling too fast. It was a short reply so I guess that's why I went over it too fast.
zacchaeus
Valued Member

Post by zacchaeus »

Did it help, answer, or do you have more concerns and/or questions? I'm not sure about the wholes still in Him question, but anything else I'll try?
domokunrox
Valued Member

Post by domokunrox »

Those who are against tattoos, I have a question.
Are you also against cremation?

Would love to get that answer.
zacchaeus
Valued Member

Post by zacchaeus »

I am personally against it... I have no right to deface or destruct a body that is not mine and doesn't belong to me no more than I would deface or destruct my neighbors house or car!!! Our body is the temple of GOD and the dwelling place of the Holy Spirit!!! Now God has said our bodies will return to dust and that He will raise us with a new resurrected celestial body, but He can do what He wants, He is the owner, and He has that right!

I have a question for those for tattoos who are Christians, why would you want one... do you "need" one, and why argue or put up a fuss about it? If you have no conviction and if your not worried about what God thinks as in if its a sin, is this wrong, why feel the need of justification or to defend yourselves if you know beyond a shadow of a doubt that you know their is absolutely nothing wrong with it and your doing nothing wrong? Do you need this confirmation and approval from MAN? Scripture is clear on its teaching as well pertaining to fighting against a doubting conscious or those people who are double-minded!!!

Now I would love to get this answer...
domokunrox
Valued Member

Post by domokunrox »

Well, Z. I am not arguing for arguments sake. Your counter question is simply trivial.

I hit the bullseye here. I asked on purpose "Are YOU also against cremation?" And boy did I get an answer I sure can work with.

Does the bible forbid cremation? That's the answer I was really looking for.