Feeling the Love of God

Are you a sincere seeker who has questions about Christianity, or a Christian with doubts about your faith? Post them here to receive a thoughtful response.
Nessa
Ultimate Member
Christian: Yes
Creation Position: Undecided

Re: Feeling the Love of God

Post by Nessa »

Kurieuo wrote:My daughter's blonde. At age 7, that's enough blonde.
Just kidding, all my others are boys with dark hair.
My daughter is such a pleasure. My little princess.
The others are definitely not princesses. :lol:
All my others? Just how many do you have exactly? I guess not too many cos you still have time to post :lol:

We weren't able to have girls but my six year old does call me "my princess" I'll settle for that :mrgreen:
Nessa
Ultimate Member

Post by Nessa »

and what do you think? are you team no emotion or team emotion (as far as God is concerned)?
Kurieuo
Honored Member
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Progressive Creationist

Post by Kurieuo »

3 boys and 1 girl. I neglect my kids, but all is forgiven right? ;)

I might post a bit now, but then I'm known to go silent for months on end.
It's a cycle it seems. The current cycle has lasted about 9 months. Which isn't the norm.

God has emotions, but in theological speak probably not like we experience.
Our emotions are more a reflection of God's in the physical world.
Just an extraction or type of what God's nature is.
"Whoever will call on the name of the Lord will be saved." (Romans 10:13)
Nessa
Ultimate Member

Post by Nessa »

Kurieuo wrote:3 boys and 1 girl. I neglect my kids, but all is forgiven right? ;)
If they are running around naked and hungry outside.. then maybe not.. oh wait.. is it sunny? :P
Storyteller
Ultimate Member
Christian: No
Sex: Female

Post by Storyteller »

Quick question...

Do we feel emotions with our spirit or our brain?

I`m with the girls on this one.

How can God not feel? What`s the point if He doesn`t feel? I appreciate it`s a really difficult subject to explore but I can`t see how God doesn`t feel. While I agree that in Heaven, perhaps we all become part of this greater love but then we are told we are given new bodies, why if we a part of something else, why do we need bodies? If we aren`t to carry the ability to feel emotions into Heaven then what`s the point of them here? Something to do with free will perhaps?

God is all about love and while I appreciate that we may not be able to grasp that here on earth, isn`t that just proving that emotions exist? Love, whichever way you look at it is to be felt. If we don`t experience love in Heaven, if we don`t become part of it (and what`s the point of being part of it if we can`t identify it with feelings?) then how do we "become love"

This is something I mull over all the time. What is Heaven, what will it be like? It`s often said that the angels are rejoicing in Heaven (as one example) well, again, that suggests emotion. Happiness.

Surely God feels sadness, anger, and all the other emotions too? How can He not? He made us into something we`re not? He made us in His image, for me, that includes emotions. I really, really hope God feels. If He doesn`t then an eternity of not feeling anything? y:O2

I think we, and God feels, it`s just a pure feeling or emotion. Primarily love. You can feel sadness along with love. Anger with ove, all of the emotions can be felt under the umbrella of love. Maybe that`s what perfect love is? Being able to feel all the emotions in safety under the wing of love.

I shall shush now, my thoughts are getting carried away!
Faith is a knowledge within the heart, beyond the reach of proof - Kahlil Gibran
Nessa
Ultimate Member

Post by Nessa »

Storyteller wrote:Quick question...

Do we feel emotions with our spirit or our brain?

I`m with the girls on this one.

How can God not feel? What`s the point if He doesn`t feel? I appreciate it`s a really difficult subject to explore but I can`t see how God doesn`t feel. While I agree that in Heaven, perhaps we all become part of this greater love but then we are told we are given new bodies, why if we a part of something else, why do we need bodies? If we aren`t to carry the ability to feel emotions into Heaven then what`s the point of them here? Something to do with free will perhaps?

God is all about love and while I appreciate that we may not be able to grasp that here on earth, isn`t that just proving that emotions exist? Love, whichever way you look at it is to be felt. If we don`t experience love in Heaven, if we don`t become part of it (and what`s the point of being part of it if we can`t identify it with feelings?) then how do we "become love"

This is something I mull over all the time. What is Heaven, what will it be like? It`s often said that the angels are rejoicing in Heaven (as one example) well, again, that suggests emotion. Happiness.

Surely God feels sadness, anger, and all the other emotions too? How can He not? He made us into something we`re not? He made us in His image, for me, that includes emotions. I really, really hope God feels. If He doesn`t then an eternity of not feeling anything? y:O2

I think we, and God feels, it`s just a pure feeling or emotion. Primarily love. You can feel sadness along with love. Anger with ove, all of the emotions can be felt under the umbrella of love. Maybe that`s what perfect love is? Being able to feel all the emotions in safety under the wing of love.

I shall shush now, my thoughts are getting carried away!
i like your thoughts :)

and didnt jesus come to show us what the father is like? How he feels? i dont think he was showing us anything new....just uncovering what has always been there....
Storyteller
Ultimate Member

Post by Storyteller »

Glad you like them, there`s plenty more where those came from :D

Always been there and always will be.

If there are no feelings, no emotion in Heaven then why do we have them here?

And, like you say, Christ came to show us the way and for me He was probably the most emotional, feeling person there was, or ever will be. I`d go as far as to say that in Heaven we feel more, our emotions are heightened. I think Heaven is all about feeling things, emotions, in their purest forms.
An existence without emotions? Without feeling?

If God is love and we all become a part of that then there has to be an emotional level and I really don`t see God leaving any of the emotions out. Maybe when we get to Heaven we actually experince our feelings and emotions as we were originally intended?

Is it possible that the negative emotions we feel are in fact due to Satan and not God? Did Adam and Eve experience negative emotions before eating the fruit? Didn`t Adam and Eve walk with God and bask in His love?
The Bible, what I`ve read of it, the whole belief in Christ, for me is based on emotion and feeling. I honestly can`t see how or why that would change in Heaven. Doesn`t make sense to me.
Faith is a knowledge within the heart, beyond the reach of proof - Kahlil Gibran
Nessa
Ultimate Member

Post by Nessa »

i was thinking of adam and eve too
Storyteller
Ultimate Member

Post by Storyteller »

Surely they were the example, a clue, as to what Heaven will be like?

Before sin they had a perfect relationship with God did they not? Isn`t that what we are all searching for? What we strive for? To feel that perfect love?
EssentialSacrifice
Advanced Senior Member

Post by EssentialSacrifice »

Nessa, apologies if I upset you. This was not my intention... I just wanted to show there was more than one scenario that effects God's definition n regards to emotions. Directly below is a short summation of our unique inability to exactly understand His ways but our more than capable ability to define it when we're not even sure about it, or what it is ... happens all the time with us as people ... :shakehead:
Classic theism treats such biblical statements as anthropopathisms—figurative expressions ascribing human passions to God. They are the emotional equivalent of those familiar physical metaphors known as anthropomorphisms—in which hands (Exodus 15:17), feet (1 Kings 5:3), eyes (2 Chronicles 16:9), or other human body parts are ascribed to God.
Another way to look at this is if we are made in God's image then does that mean He is the image of our emotions ? There are few people in this world that I would care to think of as emotionally capable of being the God of the universe. I would not want an emotional God who's potential whims could erase a persons eternity because of an emotional outburst. We as individuals strive to create as good a "universe" as possible for our children but fall short daily. We are the sons and daughters of God, who nurtures us daily an never makes a mistake. Our anger, jealousy, greed, hatred, towards one another must be included in the total package of emotions ( If God has one He has them all) and these emotions are not from God. If they were, if He really were a God of our emotions we wouldn't have made it out of Moses era when He spoke He was wrong to make man in the first place because of our "stiff" neckedness.....

God may not possess emotions, as we "feel" them, but He most assuredly understand us and our feelings. I believe He banks on them to better reveal His understanding of our individual plight and relies on them to probe our depth of feeling, both in our full range of ability to love and hate.

In God's world, hopefully soon our world, love is not an emotion but an act of will, which is much more suitable for eternally long term continuation without the ups and downs of emotions (feelings) that can change. God does not change, thank God He does not ... y>:D<
Trust the past to God’s mercy, the present to God’s love, and the future to God’s providence. -St Augustine
Kurieuo
Honored Member
Creation Position: Progressive Creationist

Post by Kurieuo »

Nessa wrote:
Kurieuo wrote:3 boys and 1 girl. I neglect my kids, but all is forgiven right? ;)
If they are running around naked and hungry outside.. then maybe not.. oh wait.. is it sunny? :P
It's quite cold right now. Night time in fact.
I should go bring them inside. They're probably freezing and all frightened.
:wave:
"Whoever will call on the name of the Lord will be saved." (Romans 10:13)
Storyteller
Ultimate Member

Post by Storyteller »

Or perhaps they`re turning feral?

Think of it as teaching them independence and fortitude at an early age.
Nessa
Ultimate Member

Post by Nessa »

what a way to treat a princess! y#-o
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member
Creation Position: Day-Age

Post by RickD »

EssentialSacrifice wrote:Nessa, apologies if I upset you. This was not my intention... I just wanted to show there was more than one scenario that effects God's definition n regards to emotions. Directly below is a short summation of our unique inability to exactly understand His ways but our more than capable ability to define it when we're not even sure about it, or what it is ... happens all the time with us as people ... :shakehead:
Classic theism treats such biblical statements as anthropopathisms—figurative expressions ascribing human passions to God. They are the emotional equivalent of those familiar physical metaphors known as anthropomorphisms—in which hands (Exodus 15:17), feet (1 Kings 5:3), eyes (2 Chronicles 16:9), or other human body parts are ascribed to God.
Another way to look at this is if we are made in God's image then does that mean He is the image of our emotions ? There are few people in this world that I would care to think of as emotionally capable of being the God of the universe. I would not want an emotional God who's potential whims could erase a persons eternity because of an emotional outburst. We as individuals strive to create as good a "universe" as possible for our children but fall short daily. We are the sons and daughters of God, who nurtures us daily an never makes a mistake. Our anger, jealousy, greed, hatred, towards one another must be included in the total package of emotions ( If God has one He has them all) and these emotions are not from God. If they were, if He really were a God of our emotions we wouldn't have made it out of Moses era when He spoke He was wrong to make man in the first place because of our "stiff" neckedness.....

God may not possess emotions, as we "feel" them, but He most assuredly understand us and our feelings. I believe He banks on them to better reveal His understanding of our individual plight and relies on them to probe our depth of feeling, both in our full range of ability to love and hate.

In God's world, hopefully soon our world, love is not an emotion but an act of will, which is much more suitable for eternally long term continuation without the ups and downs of emotions (feelings) that can change. God does not change, thank God He does not ... y>:D<
ES,
It's amazing that sometimes you actually come up with some very good posts!
:clap: :lol:
John 5:24
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

“A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.”
-Edward R Murrow

St. Richard the Sarcastic--The Patron Saint of Irony
EssentialSacrifice
Advanced Senior Member

Post by EssentialSacrifice »

Image Please Mr. D step away from the bar... your tab has been closed and the tap is now off ... :pound: ... but thanks. :ewink:
Trust the past to God’s mercy, the present to God’s love, and the future to God’s providence. -St Augustine