Shroud of Turin

Discussion about scientific issues as they relate to God and Christianity including archaeology, origins of life, the universe, intelligent design, evolution, etc.
bippy123
Prestigious Senior Member
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Day-Age

Re: Shroud of Turin

Post by bippy123 »

I don't think this video was posted here yet but it's an excellent one that focuses on the why the 1988 c14 dates were wrong and included a good portion of the original agnostic chemist ray Rogers video interview and extra material from 1988 that showed conclusively that cotton was interwoven with linen in the corner area used for the 88 tests .

http://youtu.be/UZIY3wA-_hM
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by RickD »

Bippy wrote:
OT: I have been diagnosed with scabies so ill be focusing on trying to get rid of it in th enext few weeks. In fact everyone in our house has to be treated and every piece of furniture in the house has to be cleaned with alcohol or a disinfectant and then covered in plastic for the next 3 days. The itching is unreal
I'm glad you got this diagnosed. Get well Bippy! :D
John 5:24
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

“A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.”
-Edward R Murrow

St. Richard the Sarcastic--The Patron Saint of Irony
DRDS
Creation Position: Undecided

Post by DRDS »

Here is a new radio interview I found on the Shroud featuring Casper McCloud and Rus Breault (who is one of my all time favorite Shroud presenters) Thanks everyone, GB.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZtLdNwRqvjk
DRDS

Post by DRDS »

And I'm sure this site has been plugged on here a few times but just in case you all haven't seen it yet, Rus Breault's Shroud University has a wealth of info on the Shroud, including some awesome audio files, podcasts as well as videos. Here is a link to the videos that are on the site. GB.

http://shrouduniversity.com/libraryvideo.php
DRDS

Post by DRDS »

Recent news article hot off the press! :D

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/science/scie ... Jesus.html
Philip
Site Owner

Post by Philip »

"We believe it is possible that neutron emissions by earthquakes could have induced the image formation on the Shroud's linen fibres, through thermal neutron capture on nitrogen nuclei, and could also have caused a wrong radiocarbon dating," said Professor Alberto Carpinteri, from the Politecnico di Torino.
Wow, talking about desperate! So NOW they want to suggest the DATE of the shroud is correct but that the image was caused by an earthquake? Hahahahahahahahahhahahahahooooheeeaaahhhwsssssssssshhhhhhhheeeessshhhh!!!! Find any other such images from other centuries of such quakes? Not ONE other? Nah, didn't think so! In the Middle East? Somewhere? "Bueller, Bueller ...?"

So what are the odds that the only such artifact just happens to be long in the hands of people who thought it to be Christ's burial shroud, just happens to be created at the approximate time of the Crucifixion, just happens to be a figure with wounds and physical details PRECISELY corresponding to Scripture's description of Jesus' wounds. Just one lucky earthquake, I guess? Think that there just might have been a few other persons recently buried (at the time of the quake) in shrouds around that period - and not ONE other with such an image? But why would one choose to save a burial shroud anyway? He must have been someone considered very special - but WHY?
PaulSacramento
Board Moderator
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution

Post by PaulSacramento »

What is this part about?
"Last year scientists at the University of Padua in northern Italy dated it to between 300BC and AD400 – still hundreds of years after Christ, who is believed to have died between 30-36AD."
bippy123

Post by bippy123 »

RickD wrote:
Bippy wrote:
OT: I have been diagnosed with scabies so ill be focusing on trying to get rid of it in th enext few weeks. In fact everyone in our house has to be treated and every piece of furniture in the house has to be cleaned with alcohol or a disinfectant and then covered in plastic for the next 3 days. The itching is unreal
I'm glad you got this diagnosed. Get well Bippy! :D
Thanks Rick, it's touch and go now. From everything I have read about scabies it's a stubborn illness. Hopefully the first treatment cream did its job .
bippy123

Post by bippy123 »

Philip wrote:
"We believe it is possible that neutron emissions by earthquakes could have induced the image formation on the Shroud's linen fibres, through thermal neutron capture on nitrogen nuclei, and could also have caused a wrong radiocarbon dating," said Professor Alberto Carpinteri, from the Politecnico di Torino.
Wow, talking about desperate! So NOW they want to suggest the DATE of the shroud is correct but that the image was caused by an earthquake? Hahahahahahahahahhahahahahooooheeeaaahhhwsssssssssshhhhhhhheeeessshhhh!!!! Find any other such images from other centuries of such quakes? Not ONE other? Nah, didn't think so! In the Middle East? Somewhere? "Bueller, Bueller ...?"

So what are the odds that the only such artifact just happens to be long in the hands of people who thought it to be Christ's burial shroud, just happens to be created at the approximate time of the Crucifixion, just happens to be a figure with wounds and physical details PRECISELY corresponding to Scripture's description of Jesus' wounds. Just one lucky earthquake, I guess? Think that there just might have been a few other persons recently buried (at the time of the quake) in shrouds around that period - and not ONE other with such an image? But why would one choose to save a burial shroud anyway? He must have been someone considered very special - but WHY?
Correct Philip. You see what's happening now? It reminds of the verse in the bible in which they say only the fool in his heart will say there is no God.
There is no burial shroud or any other image found that has an image like this imprinted on it.
But the real kicker was , and remember this. The bible itself proves this theory wrong.

Remember guys there was some kind of event recorded as soon as Jesus said into your hands Father I commend my spirit, and the the vale of the temple was torn in 2 and the dead saints came alive, but remember this folks this event happened at the moment of Christ's death hours before he was wrapped in the shroud.
I can't believe I didn't think about this last night.
The seculars are getting extremely desperate here.
Why do you think Thomas de Wesselow said in his book the sign, that the evidence for authenticity was extremely strong but then offered his atheist comrades a fig leaf to save their honor and his honor as an unbeliever and said that the image was caused by some natural event.

The bible did record an event but it happened before he was wrapped in any shroud.
The seculars will keep trying as they absolutely hate the shroud :mrgreen:
Philip
Site Owner

Post by Philip »

Remember guys there was some kind of event recorded as soon as Jesus said into your hands Father I commend my spirit, and the the vale of the temple was torn in 2 and the dead saints came alive, but remember this folks this event happened at the moment of Christ's death hours before he was wrapped in the shroud.
Spin THAT!

Great, Bip!
bippy123

Post by bippy123 »

PaulSacramento wrote:What is this part about?
"Last year scientists at the University of Padua in northern Italy dated it to between 300BC and AD400 – still hundreds of years after Christ, who is believed to have died between 30-36AD."
Actually paul the 300bc to 400 ad is within the time of Christ. It isn't right at 33 ad but if it holds up it will be the closest date to Christ's time of any dating method.
It all depends on if he can prove that chain of evidence that the fibers he tested came from the flask that has the the then archbishop Ballestrero's signature.
It is in the process of being submitted for peer review.
I have a feeling they will probably save that announcement for Easter, Christmas or in October at the shroud conference in ST Louis .
bippy123

Post by bippy123 »

Philip wrote:
Spin THAT!

Great, Bip!
Thanks Philip :)
They are still arguing about this on the shroud story blog . I don't think they have thought about this yet.
I believe there was some kind of eclipse during this event as well.

I was just lurking on an atheist forum the other day and I overheard a very frustrated atheist begging someone to prove that the shroud was fake and how he wishes for this more than anything else about Christianity :mrgreen: :pound:
They really hate this relic lol
bippy123

Post by bippy123 »

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/ ... -date.html
The Gospel of Matthew:
"Jesus, when he had cried again with a loud voice, yielded up the ghost.And, behold, the veil of the temple was rent in twain from the top to the bottom; and the earth did quake, and the rocks rent;
And the graves were opened; and many bodies of the saints which slept arose, And came out of the graves after his resurrection, and went into the holy city, and appeared unto many. Now when the centurion, and they that were with him, watching Jesus, saw the earthquake, and those things that were done, they feared greatly, saying, Truly this was the Son of God."

SeekingSanctuary
Established Member

Post by SeekingSanctuary »

bippy123 wrote:http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/ ... -date.html
The Gospel of Matthew:
"Jesus, when he had cried again with a loud voice, yielded up the ghost.And, behold, the veil of the temple was rent in twain from the top to the bottom; and the earth did quake, and the rocks rent;
And the graves were opened; and many bodies of the saints which slept arose, And came out of the graves after his resurrection, and went into the holy city, and appeared unto many. Now when the centurion, and they that were with him, watching Jesus, saw the earthquake, and those things that were done, they feared greatly, saying, Truly this was the Son of God."

Come to think of it, were there any recordings outside of the Bible about these people? Do we know what happened to them?
bippy123

Post by bippy123 »

SeekingSanctuary wrote:
bippy123 wrote:http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/ ... -date.html
The Gospel of Matthew:

Come to think of it, were there any recordings outside of the Bible about these people? Do we know what happened to them?
You mean about the saints coming out of their graves? Not sure as I never really looked into this. Interesting question though