How the universe came to be?

Discussion about scientific issues as they relate to God and Christianity including archaeology, origins of life, the universe, intelligent design, evolution, etc.
Blob
Established Member
Christian: No

Post by Blob »

bizzt wrote:True Christianity was not around until Jesus :wink: :D
What has that to do with anything I said?
While in external speech thought is embodied in words, in inner speech words die as they bring forth thought.
- Vygotsky
Blob
Established Member

Post by Blob »

AttentionKMartShoppers wrote:I don't see how see why someone would argue using that statement...
Me neither. Yet they do it all the time - albeit in different guises. On one multi-religion forum I post it is pretty much the only argument I ever hear from Christians, Muslims and New-agers. So much so that my sig on that forum is:

No-one knows everything therefore Jesus | Allah | Aliens | Mind Powers | Reincarnation (*delete as applicable*)
While in external speech thought is embodied in words, in inner speech words die as they bring forth thought.
- Vygotsky
bizzt
Prestigious Senior Member

Post by bizzt »

Blob wrote:
bizzt wrote:True Christianity was not around until Jesus :wink: :D
What has that to do with anything I said?
After re-reading it I read something the wrong way. Sorry :)
AttentionKMartShoppers
Ultimate Member
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male

Post by AttentionKMartShoppers »

Blob wrote:
AttentionKMartShoppers wrote:I don't see how see why someone would argue using that statement...
Me neither. Yet they do it all the time - albeit in different guises. On one multi-religion forum I post it is pretty much the only argument I ever hear from Christians, Muslims and New-agers. So much so that my sig on that forum is:

No-one knows everything therefore Jesus | Allah | Aliens | Mind Powers | Reincarnation (*delete as applicable*)
That doesn't make sense-that's like saying, because I have two legs....2+2=5!
"My actions prove that God takes care of idiots."

He occasionally stumbled over the truth, but hastily picked himself up and hurried on as if nothing had happened.
- On Stanley Baldwin

-Winston Churchill

An atheist can't find God for the same reason a criminal can't find a police officer.

You need to start asking out girls so that you can get used to the rejections.
-Anonymous
Blob
Established Member

Post by Blob »

Precisely.
- Vygotsky
AttentionKMartShoppers
Ultimate Member

Blob wrote:Precisely.
Also...why are you bringing up that nonsense argument you've heard in here...we aren't using it.

He occasionally stumbled over the truth, but hastily picked himself up and hurried on as if nothing had happened.
- On Stanley Baldwin

-Winston Churchill

An atheist can't find God for the same reason a criminal can't find a police officer.

-Anonymous
Blob
Established Member

Post by Blob »

If you trace back our exchange in this thread you'll find that someone did.

Above, on the previous page, a Christian (naming no names) said to an atheist (you'll never guess who) "we are capped off at human knowledge" within the context of trying to persuade the atheist that Christianity is true.

So to paraphrase...

"Human knowledge is limited therefore Jesus."
- Vygotsky
AttentionKMartShoppers
Ultimate Member

If that's all the unnamed person said...how can you come to that conclusion.

- On Stanley Baldwin

-Winston Churchill

-Anonymous
Jbuza
Esteemed Senior Member

Post by Jbuza »

Blob wrote:If you trace back our exchange in this thread you'll find that someone did.

Above, on the previous page, a Christian (naming no names) said to an atheist (you'll never guess who) "we are capped off at human knowledge" within the context of trying to persuade the atheist that Christianity is true.

So to paraphrase...

I haven't, I don't think, used this one, but I think the thinking here is that from an atheistic evolutionary mindset, that it would seem reasonable that man would be the ultimate source of knowledge. If evolution is the creation of higher ordered beings from lower ordered beings, than Man would be the ultimate source of knowledge. Man intuitvely knowing that we don't have the answer to all things points to a greater source of knowledge somewhere. That is that there is something at least knowledge that is outside of the material existence. IT is not adequate and convincing evidence, but it is not entirely without merit
Believer
Advanced Senior Member

Post by Believer »

Blob wrote:If you trace back our exchange in this thread you'll find that someone did.

So to paraphrase...

I think Blob is talking about me, BUT, I didn't say Jesus is capped off, human knowledge is, so don't jump to quick asinine conclusions like that. Jesus was FULL human and FULL God at the same time, we aren't. Jesus had the body of a human AND the mind of God. He is still God but is also now existing as a spiritual being that CAN come in the form of a physical being.
Blob
Established Member

Post by Blob »

Apologies Thinker - it's just that KMart and I got into a discussion that was triggered by my response to something you said. Sorry to drag you back into it - I shouldn't have done that. I'd hate to damage the fragile trust you and I have developed and will be more considerate next time.
- Vygotsky
Blob
Established Member

Post by Blob »

Jbuza wrote:Man intuitvely knowing that we don't have the answer to all things points to a greater source of knowledge somewhere.
I honestly don't see how that follows.
- Vygotsky
Jbuza
Esteemed Senior Member

Post by Jbuza »

Blob wrote:
Jbuza wrote:Man intuitvely knowing that we don't have the answer to all things points to a greater source of knowledge somewhere.
I honestly don't see how that follows.
Your right it is tenuos. But it does seem reasonable that there is at least truth and knowledge that are outside of the realm of an evolved mind doesn't it? Creation would say that God is the source of knowledge that we have an inborn desire to discover. Evolution may say that a drive to increase knowledge is simply adaptive. I personally find this explanation of the limits of human knowledge to be wanting. If it is so adaptive why wouldn't it be present in more species? We are all trying to explain, and to learn and I feel that creation explains these singular unique characteristics of man more completely than does evolution.
Blob
Established Member

Post by Blob »

But it does seem reasonable that there is at least truth and knowledge that are outside of the realm of an evolved mind doesn't it?
It's certainly conceivable, but I find it highly doubtful.

Take the rules of chess. They are an internally consistent set of rules with referents to pieces and a board. It is meaningless to ask if the rules of chess are right or wrong, true or false. They have been constructed by human minds and (i) did not exist in any sense whatsoever before they were constructed and (ii) do not exist in any objective sense outside of human minds, IMO.
- Vygotsky
Kurieuo
Honored Member
Creation Position: Progressive Creationist

Post by Kurieuo »

It has been pointed out by some that if we are the product of natural processes our rational faculties would not be calibrated towards truth, but towards surviving. Therefore we can't be certain that our rational faculties would lead us to truth.

Just thought I'd throw this in for some reflection.

Kurieuo
"Whoever will call on the name of the Lord will be saved." (Romans 10:13)