dinosaurs and man coexisted?

Discussions on creation beliefs within Christianity, and topics related to creation.
ochotseat

Post by ochotseat »

Kurieuo wrote:Read the discussion a little bit further down (err, I should say more near the beginning)... it isn't that clear at all what kind of creature is meant.

Kurieuo.
I did. You said no one knows what Job is referring to, but to many, the verses seem to describe a dinosaur. There are no living animals today with tails as big as trees.
Kurieuo
Honored Member
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Progressive Creationist

Post by Kurieuo »

To many, they describe a hippo or crocodile also, and some do make a pretty strong case for these. Yet, at the end of my research both sides I came to the conclusion noone really knows for certain what these passages are referring to.

Additionally, it is believed by YECs that "all" dinosaurs existed alongside humanity, not just a few. Therefore the passages are really irrelevant to the issue of whether humanity existed alongside all dinosaurs, or simply lived alongside some perhaps now exinct prehistoric-like animals similar to the crocodile.

Kurieuo.
"Whoever will call on the name of the Lord will be saved." (Romans 10:13)
ochotseat

Post by ochotseat »

Kurieuo wrote: To many, they describe a hippo or crocodile also, and some do make a pretty strong case for these. .
But hippos and crocs don't have tails as big as trees.
Additionally, it is believed by YECs that "all" dinosaurs existed alongside humanity, not just a few.
Until they find and date Adam and Eve's fossils, don't you think that's possible?
Judah
Advanced Senior Member
Sex: Female

Post by Judah »

ochotseat wrote:
But hippos and crocs don't have tails as big as trees.
You've not seen an Aussie crocodile then! :D
The male Estuarine Crocodile can grow to about 7 metres in length... it's tail surely the size of a small tree.

But I've never seen a hippo with a tail like that... :?
ochotseat

Post by ochotseat »

Judah wrote: You've not seen an Aussie crocodile then!
Are you talking about the saltwater crocodile?
But I've never seen a hippo with a tail like that... :?
This doesn't sound like a crocodile:

"Look at the behemoth, which I made along with you and which feed on grass like an ox." (Job 40:15-19)

Job 41
9Indeed, any hope of overcoming him is false; Shall one not be overwhelmed at the sight of him? 10No one is so fierce that he would dare stir him up. Who then is able to stand against Me? 11Who has preceded Me, that I should pay him? Everything under heaven is Mine.
12"I will not conceal his limbs, His mighty power, or his graceful proportions.
33On earth there is nothing like him, Which is made without fear. 34He beholds every high thing; He is king over all the children of pride."
Judah
Advanced Senior Member

Post by Judah »

You're right, Ocho... it doesn't sound one bit like a croc, not even a salty. :shock:

I found this interesting definition of behemoth in the The Old Testament Hebrew Lexicon which says...
Perhaps an extinct dinosaur
a Diplodocus or Brachiosaurus, exact meaning unknown ++++ Some translate as elephant or hippopotamus but from the description in Job 40:15-24, this is patently absurd.
And just for fun, look here.
ochotseat

Post by ochotseat »

You're right, Ocho... it doesn't sound one bit like a croc, not even a salty. :shock:

I found this interesting definition of behemoth in the The Old Testament Hebrew Lexicon which says...
Perhaps an extinct dinosaur
a Diplodocus or Brachiosaurus, exact meaning unknown ++++ Some translate as elephant or hippopotamus but from the description in Job 40:15-24, this is patently absurd
Do you believe Job is describing a dinosaur?
Judah
Advanced Senior Member

Post by Judah »

I believe Job is describing a behemoth.

I believe his description of a behemoth could also be likened to that of a dinosaur, but I cannot say with any surety that it was his intention to describe a dinosaur... because I don't know; I'd be guessing.

You could describe a small coffee table in such a way that it could be likened to that of a stool to sit on, but one is not identical with the other.

I don't know if behemoth = dinosaur, or if behemoth ≠ dinosaur.
Until I know which, I will have to stick with my first statement above.
ochotseat

Post by ochotseat »

Judah wrote:I believe Job is describing a behemoth.

I believe his description of a behemoth could also be likened to that of a dinosaur, but I cannot say with any surety that it was his intention to describe a dinosaur... because I don't know; I'd be guessing.

You could describe a small coffee table in such a way that it could be likened to that of a stool to sit on, but one is not identical with the other.

I don't know if behemoth = dinosaur, or if behemoth ≠ dinosaur.
Until I know which, I will have to stick with my first statement above.
But I wouldn't be surprised if Job were describing a dinosaur and you shouldn't either. :)
XenonII
Established Member
Christian: No

Post by XenonII »

nameless wrote:There are no fossil evidence of human(homo-sapiens) dating back to the period of dinosaurs. Therefore its resonable to say dinosaurs came first, then humans. Would that contradict what the bible says about creation?
This is nothing more than evolutionary propoganda. Human fossilized remains have been found lower in the geographic table than dinosaurs. Not once, but 28 times so far![/b]
XenonII
Established Member

Post by XenonII »

Mastermind wrote:basically yes. I don't know about walking with man, but maybe a few sightings here and there.
There still is a few sightings here and there even to this day, especially for sea based dinosaurs which would have had a much greater chance of survival.
ochotseat

Post by ochotseat »

XenonII wrote:
This is nothing more than evolutionary propoganda. Human fossilized remains have been found lower in the geographic table than dinosaurs. Not once, but 28 times so far![/b]
We haven't even reached the outer and inner core of the Earth yet. Adam and Eve may be buried somewhere in there.
waynes world
Established Member

Post by waynes world »

Hi! I found this site by accident and I'm glad I found it. I was wondering about the dinasour issue and Job 41. What I notice is that God answers Job with a "no" in every one of the questions, of course its implied but its there. With that said, I'm wondering whether or not Job actually saw the Behemoth that God is talking about here. If the answer is "no" I personally find it hard to swallow that the dinasours climbed the ark. I've seen a photo of the ark in a National Geographic magazine and noticed for one thing that the door of the ark would have been too small for an animal that large to fit into. Someone said the dinos eggs were carried aboard, which seens strange because I'm not sure if the dinos ever laid eggs. I have always had problems with the YEC movement and wonder if the days in Genesis 1 could be days of God's decree, there could have been a day when God said let there be light, and whatever time actually happened we don't know.
ochotseat

Post by ochotseat »

waynes world wrote: I personally find it hard to swallow that the dinasours climbed the ark. I've seen a photo of the ark in a National Geographic magazine and noticed for one thing that the door of the ark would have been too small for an animal that large to fit into.
They don't know if that's the actual ark. Did you ever think that the dinosaurs could have been babies when they rode in the ark?
Someone said the dinos eggs were carried aboard, which seens strange because I'm not sure if the dinos ever laid eggs.
Yes, they did, and the fossils prove it.
I have always had problems with the YEC movement and wonder if the days in Genesis 1 could be days of God's decree
It's debated.
waynes world
Established Member

Post by waynes world »

I tend to think that even the babies would have been too large to fit in the door of the Ark. Like I mentioned, I don't see where God is saying that the dinosaurs entered the ark. If God answer is "no" to Job how would it have been possible? Do we really honestly know what a Behemoth or a Leviathan is?I don't think its that big of a deal. God is trying to get Job to worship him thats all, not to prove any creationist idea.