Discovery of Methane Puts Evolution 'On the rocks'

Discussion about scientific issues as they relate to God and Christianity including archaeology, origins of life, the universe, intelligent design, evolution, etc.
sandy_mcd
Esteemed Senior Member

Dr Smalley, hostile witness?

Post by sandy_mcd »

tyler_demerhcant wrote:Non-life chemicle reactions do not produce living specimens.
You could save Harvard a lot of money and effort if you can support this statement with some solid evidence.
tyler_demerhcant
Recognized Member

Post by tyler_demerhcant »

Support this statement? How about providing one example of non-life producing life. I would be very interested in seeing that.

What do you think Sandy, I am unfamilliar with your take on abiogenesis.

Can anyone provide me with one example of any chemicle reaction producing new elements? Even all the elements on the chart would have to have been there in the beginning, otherwise, it would be possible for radiometric decay to be increased and decreased in speed to show the number of elements that coexist.

What do you think Sandy, I just want to know.
thereal
Established Member
Christian: No

Post by thereal »

Can anyone provide me with one example of any chemicle reaction producing new elements? Even all the elements on the chart would have to have been there in the beginning, otherwise, it would be possible for radiometric decay to be increased and decreased in speed to show the number of elements that coexist.
There are numerous elements on the periodic charts that were synthesized by man and that do not occur in nature. Examples include Lawrencium, Rutherfordium, Dubnium, etc. A simple web search on "manmade elements" will give you as much information as you need.
tyler_demerhcant
Recognized Member

My question to this is, do these elements occur naturaly. It is possible though, as elements are all built of combinations of protons and neutrons. Am I right or am I totaly out to lunch?

This still does not show any life process. I think extreme lack of evidence is just as strong as slight ammounts of evidence.

AM I wrong? I probably am so someone correct me.
tyler_demerhcant
Recognized Member

What is rutherfurdium a product of. What process of what element.
sandy_mcd
Esteemed Senior Member

Post by sandy_mcd »

tyler_demerhcant wrote:Can anyone provide me with one example of any chemicle reaction producing new elements?
Absolutely not (thereal answered the spirit of your question not the letter). Chemical reactions do not produce elements, either new or used. In chemical reactions, element identity is conserved. Chemical reactions do not affect the the number of neutrons or protons in an element.
Nuclear reactions do change the numbers of neutrons and protons. New elements previously unknown to mankind have been produced. [See thereal's post.]
sandy_mcd
Esteemed Senior Member

Post by sandy_mcd »

tyler_demerhcant wrote:How about providing one example of non-life producing life. ... I think extreme lack of evidence is just as strong as slight ammounts of evidence.
As I pointed out in my earlier post, no example is known. That does not mean it could not have happened.

How do you answer this question: Will the sun rise tomorrow?
a) Yes, it has risen every day throughout history so it will rise tomorrow.
b) Yes, the rotation of the earth while it orbits the sun due to gravity will result in sunrise tomorrow.

Do you see the difference? One answer is just based on observations. The other is based on having a model which explains what is going on.

So did abiogenesis occur?
a) No, no one has ever seen it take place.
b) I don't know, it has not been demonstrated that the laws of science prohibit it.