The Christmas Star

Discussion about scientific issues as they relate to God and Christianity including archaeology, origins of life, the universe, intelligent design, evolution, etc.
Gman
Old School
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Day-Age

Re: The Christmas Star

Post by Gman »

Kurieuo wrote: Purchased the DVD of this and watched it over Christmas. Found it very touching... particularly found the special feature moving which plays the view from the moon back to Earth during Christ's crucifixion and the heart of the lamb becomes eclipsed.
Yes I thought the same.. It's quite interesting. I'll try to get more up this weekend.

Thanks.
The heart cannot rejoice in what the mind rejects as false - Galileo

We learn from history that we do not learn from history - Georg Friedrich Wilhelm Hegel

Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable, if anything is excellent or praiseworthy, think about such things. -Philippians 4:8
Dazed and Confused
Established Member

Post by Dazed and Confused »

Gman wrote:Image

I thought I would show off my Christmas Star again this year. This excerpt is from the Griffith Observatory...

Many think that the Christmas Star was a meteor, a comet, or a supernova.. However, if we suppose that the “star” actually referred to the planets, the situation is less problematic. Here is a "possible" solution for the Christmas Star...

"The movements and groupings of planets in the night sky were of exceeding interest to astronomers and were closely tracked around the world. Historical records and modern-day computer simulations indicate that there was a rare series of planetary groupings, also known as conjunctions, during the years 3 B.C. and 2 B.C."

"Between September of 3 B.C. and June of 2 B.C., Jupiter passed by the star Regulus in Leo, reversed itself and passed it again, then turned back and passed the star a third time. This was another remarkable event, since the magi considered Jupiter the kingly planet and regarded Regulus as the “king star.”

"The crowning touch came on June 17, when Jupiter seemed to approach so close to Venus that, without binoculars, they would have looked like a single star over Bethlehem, (hence the Christmas star)."

Here is a good presentation of it from the astronomer "John Mosley" at the Griffith Observatory in Los Angeles. Enjoy.. And merry Christmas..

//msnbcmedia.msn.com/i/msnbc/Components/Interactives/Technology_Science/Space/star.swf

Is it possible to determine if this conjunction of planets took place in the eastern sky were the magi lived
(perhaps Babylon?), and then proceeded in a westerly direction towards Jerusalem.

"Now after Jesus was born in Bethlehem of Judea in the days of Herod the king, magi from the east arrived in Jerusalem, saying, Where is He who has been born King of the Jews? For we saw His star in the east and have come to worship Him." After hearing the king, they went their way; and the star, which they had seen in the east, went on before them until it came and stood over the place where the Child was."
For I am confident of this very thing, that He who began a good work in you will perfect it until the day of Christ Jesus.
Gman
Old School

Post by Gman »

Dazed and Confused wrote: Is it possible to determine if this conjunction of planets took place in the eastern sky were the magi lived
(perhaps Babylon?), and then proceeded in a westerly direction towards Jerusalem.

"Now after Jesus was born in Bethlehem of Judea in the days of Herod the king, magi from the east arrived in Jerusalem, saying, Where is He who has been born King of the Jews? For we saw His star in the east and have come to worship Him." After hearing the king, they went their way; and the star, which they had seen in the east, went on before them until it came and stood over the place where the Child was."
Yes... I have software that can show this. Also I know of some cuneiform tablets that the Babylonians possessed that reveal that they did follow the patterns of the constellations..

We learn from history that we do not learn from history - Georg Friedrich Wilhelm Hegel

Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable, if anything is excellent or praiseworthy, think about such things. -Philippians 4:8
Hoglet
Newbie Member
Sex: It's Complicated

Post by Hoglet »

You know that the story of the magi and the guiding star is just a retelling of a Zoroastrian myth, right?
Gman
Old School

Post by Gman »

I think it's pretty clear from the Talmuds that the teachings of the constellations (Christ's story) goes all the way back to Adam.. It was for all to witness whether they were Jew or gentile... God is the God of all and his message of redemption was beamed everywhere, to all nations..