Once Saved always saved?

Are you a sincere seeker who has questions about Christianity, or a Christian with doubts about your faith? Post them here to receive a thoughtful response.
BavarianWheels
Prestigious Senior Member
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Day-Age

Re: Once Saved always saved?

Post by BavarianWheels »

Fürstentum Liechtenstein wrote:
BavarianWheels wrote: OSAS is true...if one REMAINS in Christ.
Once Saved Always Saved

There really are no ifs about it BMW. But if your religion wants to add ifs, so be it.

FL
Oh...I guess you have a difficult time reading also...it says whosoever believes...that is an "if". If you believe, if you confess, if you live the truth, if your faith works, for faith without works is useless. I guess there are a few "if's" around Christianity aren't there...by their fruits you will know...no fruits IF you're not sharing your faith be it actively or passively.
BavarianWheels

Post by BavarianWheels »

B. W. wrote:Jac, after reading your response to my last post, I can see that you totally misunderstood what I was conveying in that post. Maybe I did not write clear enough. I'll give you the benefit of the doubt as I may not have been clear enough.

Let me state that in no way was I being derogatory toward you personally or your views. In fact we both agree that when one believes — you are saved. What I was trying to convey is that when you believe, let me qualify this as 'truly believe', there comes a change in a person's life. You can call this sanctification if you like. It is this that makes the difference between the children of darkness and the child of God. That road of sanctification reveals the difference.

True, new believers may not make this road as their time of earth may end shortly after conversion but there is still a change, rather a transformation. When one is born again something does happen to person. I hope you are not denying that. Born of the indwelling Holy Spirit does something to a person.

Your point is true — at the moment of believing is what saves you. I do not deny that. I do not think many people reading this would deny that either. You seem to read into what I wrote in last post things that are not there and you do the same with what others wrote too. This irritates people as you put words in people's mouths things they do not mean or are really saying. I call this - leading the witness.

There are true believers — why do I say that? For something to be true the opposite (false) must be there to make truth true. Bible speaks of false brethren, does it not? If there are false brethren, then there are true.

If there is true belief then there also is false belief. Believing in Santa Claus would be a false belief. The Pharisees of Jesus time had a false religious belief even though it was derived from the same scriptures Jesus taught from. There are true believers and false believers. Add brethren for believers if you need scripture for support on what just wrote and you'll get the picture.

That is why I can say and qualify those that truly believe from those that falsely believe. There are true brethren and there are false brethren. For something to be true an opposite of true must exist. Therefore, there is true believing as opposed to false believing. Bible has many examples of people believing in false things.

What I described in my last posting was to explain what 'follows after' someone first believes: Sanctification. This process is different for each person. For some reason, unknown to me, is that you appear incapable of making this distinction. No offense intended but your extremist view is what gives OSAS a bad rap (name). Sad but true.

You totally read into what I wrote things not intended nor suggested in an attempt to 'lead the witness.' There is not a lot of difference in Mounce's and TWOT exposition of the Hebrew word for believe and faith. They both bring out the same points, however in the writers own words. There is no easy definition to define belief / faith.

So I'll propose this too you:

What is belief — how does one believe? Under your definition of believing, believing would be considered a work. To get around this, then the next thing I often heard during such discussion as this is that a form of the doctrine of election is used to get around this obstacle. I have heard often that God makes you believe so that believing is not a work of human agency in any shape, manner, or form.

He (God) puts the want too in your wanter” as I heard a radio preacher put it once. To follow this logic further to its conclusion, you'll discover that you are either selected or not as no works are allowed — not even the 'work of believing.'

However, it takes brain power (human agency at work) to hear and to become convinced beyond all doubt. Bioelectrical impulses are at work in the human brain for us to hear, think, believe, etc. That is human effort, hmmm, human agency at work — is it not? No works allowed in the equation!

And I also have heard that it does not matter if one remains an adulterer, fornicator, or vile person — hey all they need only to believe and they are in. No change necessary or allowed. You clearly stated this in your discussion of Abraham.

That certainly is Good News. All you need is a loud speaker to proclaim the following (which encapsulates your doctrine):
“Come all come everyone: believe in Jesus as John 3:16 states and you'll have eternal life. Escape Hell — believe! No change necessary, remain as you are. You can rape and pillage, lie and cheat, steal and profane — you are in and heaven bound because you believed. The work of sanctification ol Bryan (B. W.) wrote about — why that is not the gospel! He's a heretic!

However if you ever doubt your salvation — you are lost doomed — doomed! Never were you saved! Never!! You may lose a reward in heaven if you remain in sin but who cares — you believed without doubting and are heaven bound. That work, err, grace saved you! Come all come one! No need to obey God at all just believe but you must believe without ever doubting!"
For something to be true a false also must exist. Believe without doubting comes about how? What work of human agency is involved in this? The Brain at work processing this? We learn not to doubt through the process of sanctification and repentance. I think your definition of Works is eschewed and off. The process of reformation comes through the hand of God after you believe - he will not let you go. That what set's apart the children of God and the children of the devil. A child of God faith in the Lord grows during the process, it does not remain stagnate but bears good fruit.

This Reminds me of a true story I heard a year ago: A Young teenage women believed and was saved. She doubted not and became years later a young woman. She was brutally gang raped by a bunch of thugs. After the assault she doubted God and as she said, hated God for allowing this to happen, she turned away from the Lord and burned her bibles. Became involved in all kinds of anti Christian things.

According to you, she never believed and was never saved because she doubted! Imagine her doubt could override the love of God and his grace! She later, as I have heard, said she never lost the pull of God drawing her back to him. Later, she came back to the Lord after a bit of grief. The lord never let her go. She started a ministry for women who have been raped and battered and can reach them like none other having gone through what they did. I wish I could remember her name and ministry. Maybe someone may have heard of her could chime in.

With all due respect Jac — I guess Jesus did not teach the correct gospel:

Luke 24:46-47, “ and said to them, "Thus it is written, that the Christ should suffer and on the third day rise from the dead, 47 and that repentance and forgiveness of sins should be proclaimed in his name to all nations, beginning from Jerusalem."

Matthew 28:19-20, “Go therefore and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, 20 teaching them to observe all that I have commanded you. And behold, I am with you always, to the end of the age."

Nor did Peter:

Acts 11:18, “When they heard these things they fell silent. And they glorified God, saying, "Then to the Gentiles also God has granted repentance that leads to life."

Nor did Paul:

Acts 20:21, "...testifying both to Jews and to Greeks of repentance toward God and of faith in our Lord Jesus Christ. "

Act 26:20-21, “...but declared first to those in Damascus, then in Jerusalem and throughout all the region of Judea, and also to the Gentiles, that they should repent and turn to God, performing deeds in keeping with their repentance. 21 For this reason the Jews seized me in the temple and tried to kill me.”

Yes there is Godly grief that comes in many diverse ways as I wrote about in my last post

2 Co 7:10,For godly grief produces a repentance that leads to salvation without regret, whereas worldly grief produces death."

The tones of your discourses appear to be simply quarrelsome for no other reason than just to be:

2 Timothy 2:24-26,”And the Lord's servant must not be quarrelsome but kind to everyone, able to teach, patiently enduring evil, 25 correcting his opponents with gentleness. God may perhaps grant them repentance leading to a knowledge of the truth, 26 and they may come to their senses and escape from the snare of the devil, after being captured by him to do his will.”

According to your system of belief, I have to ask, is the entire bible is wrong to ask us to obey God and bear the fruit of repentance because we believed - truly believed?
-
-
-
Bible quotes from ESV
Excellent post. It seems we might be on the same page...
Furstentum Liechtenstein
Ultimate Member
Sex: It's Complicated
Creation Position: Young-Earth Creationist

Post by Furstentum Liechtenstein »

BavarianWheels wrote:Oh...I guess you have a difficult time reading also...it says whosoever believes...that is an "if". If you believe, if you confess, if you live the truth, if your faith works, for faith without works is useless. I guess there are a few "if's" around Christianity aren't there...by their fruits you will know...no fruits IF you're not sharing your faith be it actively or passively.
I think we are not coming at this from the same angle yet we believe the same thing. Good!

Is that your car?

FL
Hold everything lightly. If you don't, it will hurt when God pries your fingers loose as He takes it from you. -Corrie Ten Boom

+ + +

If they had a social gospel in the days of the prodigal son, somebody would have given him a bed and a sandwich and he never would have gone home.

+ + +
B. W.
Ultimate Member

Post by B. W. »

For the reader following this discussion -- Here are a few things that follows after one who truly believes:

Titus 2:11-15, "For the grace of God has appeared, bringing salvation for all people, 12 training us to renounce ungodliness and worldly passions, and to live self-controlled, upright, and godly lives in the present age, 13 waiting for our blessed hope, the appearing of the glory of our great God and Savior Jesus Christ, 14 who gave himself for us to redeem us from all lawlessness and to purify for himself a people for his own possession who are zealous for good works. 15 Declare these things; exhort and rebuke with all authority. Let no one disregard you."

2 Timothy 2:19, "But God's firm foundation stands, bearing this seal: "The Lord knows those who are his," and, "Let everyone who names the name of the Lord depart from iniquity."

1Thessalonians 4:3-8, "For this is the will of God, your sanctification: that you abstain from sexual immorality; 4 that each one of you know how to control his own body in holiness and honor, 5 not in the passion of lust like the Gentiles who do not know God; 6 that no one transgress and wrong his brother in this matter, because the Lord is an avenger in all these things, as we told you beforehand and solemnly warned you. 7 For God has not called us for impurity, but in holiness. 8 Therefore whoever disregards this, disregards not man but God, who gives his Holy Spirit to you."
-
-
-
Science is man's invention - creation is God's
(by B. W. Melvin)

Old Polish Proverb:
Not my Circus....not my monkeys
madscientist
Valued Member
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution

Post by madscientist »

Looks like we're losing OSAS here. Yes, there are different views to this, however, I'd say the 2 variants I believe in are the same but said differently. Either:
a. By "believing" you mean you have a changed life, and you will never do a deadly sin in your life etc. However, as we do not know this (human nature? :twisted: ) we can believe in JC and next day murder like crazy. Then we may die, we go in hell as we chose to be against God. Hence, we were not saved in THE FIRST PLACE. One can only be sure of salvation where there is no going back (e.g. one minute before death when the person to die is not in full conscience and unable to commit a deadly sin). However, at ANY time it can happen even to a devote christian he commits a deadly sin and doesnt confess/ask for forgiveness. Then if the woman who was raped - had she not lived after that, I guess God would say she goes to hell as she "never believed in the first place" - as she could "lose" her faith in JC.
b. "Belief" in existance and belief in "... and live accordingly to faith" are 2 distinct things. Yes, I believe in both God and Satan, but I do not approve of Satan and hate him, don't want to be with him. Yet I believe he exists. I also believe in God, but not only that "there is One and true" but also try to live accordingly (swear less, try to be less angry, less bad thoughts, less gluttony, etc). True belief comes with acts.

JC said that if we have plain words but no actions than that is vain, useless = death (hell).

I think the trouble with Jn 3:16 is that one ought to read the entire paragraph...Looking at Jn 3:18 this seems to support it. However, 3:19 talks about people loving more darkness than light. Then in 20 it says who does evil doesnt like light. Hence, it can be said that who does evil, doesnt like light, hence will be judged according to 3:18.

As for loss of salvation i read Ezekiel 18. Says about our responsibility of sin, and that when a man goes from evil to good he lives but if the other way round it's death. OK that could be physical death but still... if one is good but falls away he cannot be saved.

hence, i believe OSAS cannot be classified as true as one can at any time do a mortal sin... read CCC for that, i spent some time looking at it. Says if one does a mortal sin then he freely chooses to oppose God and loses His grace. Hence, if he dies he goes to hell (if he does not confess). Now that overturns all ideas of OSAS and similar. One has to die rather sinless to go to heaven.
More to that, Jesus speaks somewhere of division of the righteous and the unrighteous and that those who took care of Him - fed Him clothed Him etc - (Him meaning as other people) go to eternal life as those who did not clothe Him, feed Him when He was hungry go to hell. Now then - I believe one can believe in JC, and all of a sudden turn away - either from ignorance, pride, or just to prove to oneself he has FW (something i had ideas about). Imagine being a devote christian and then just exploding and killing everyone nearby and committing suicide. I guess that an entire godly life before that cannot save such a person if he decides to do such a thing (with full conscience and approval that it is a deadly sin).

Sanctification I understand as the process (spiritual) that we want to live closer to Christ because we are aware of the fact. That is the psychological effect. As an example, I went to confession yesterday after like 5 months and i somehow feel i want to be better (motivated to for example swear less). That would be one sin less. However, the spiritual effect is only seen by JC (or we in heaven).

I explain things in rather empiric form so that we can understand what it means... if you know what i mean. I believe that even the most pure spiritual things of which we know do have a psychological effect and that's why they work... ;)
"Love is only possible if a choice of either love or rejecting the love is given." One of the most true things id ever heard, not so long ago.

-MMS-
BavarianWheels

Post by BavarianWheels »

madscientist wrote:Looks like we're losing OSAS here. Yes, there are different views to this, however, I'd say the 2 variants I believe in are the same but said differently. Either:
a. By "believing" you mean you have a changed life, and you will never do a deadly sin in your life etc. However, as we do not know this (human nature? :twisted: ) we can believe in JC and next day murder like crazy. Then we may die, we go in hell as we chose to be against God. Hence, we were not saved in THE FIRST PLACE. One can only be sure of salvation where there is no going back (e.g. one minute before death when the person to die is not in full conscience and unable to commit a deadly sin). However, at ANY time it can happen even to a devote christian he commits a deadly sin and doesnt confess/ask for forgiveness. Then if the woman who was raped - had she not lived after that, I guess God would say she goes to hell as she "never believed in the first place" - as she could "lose" her faith in JC.
b. "Belief" in existance and belief in "... and live accordingly to faith" are 2 distinct things. Yes, I believe in both God and Satan, but I do not approve of Satan and hate him, don't want to be with him. Yet I believe he exists. I also believe in God, but not only that "there is One and true" but also try to live accordingly (swear less, try to be less angry, less bad thoughts, less gluttony, etc). True belief comes with acts.

JC said that if we have plain words but no actions than that is vain, useless = death (hell).

I think the trouble with Jn 3:16 is that one ought to read the entire paragraph...Looking at Jn 3:18 this seems to support it. However, 3:19 talks about people loving more darkness than light. Then in 20 it says who does evil doesnt like light. Hence, it can be said that who does evil, doesnt like light, hence will be judged according to 3:18.

As for loss of salvation i read Ezekiel 18. Says about our responsibility of sin, and that when a man goes from evil to good he lives but if the other way round it's death. OK that could be physical death but still... if one is good but falls away he cannot be saved.

hence, i believe OSAS cannot be classified as true as one can at any time do a mortal sin... read CCC for that, i spent some time looking at it. Says if one does a mortal sin then he freely chooses to oppose God and loses His grace. Hence, if he dies he goes to hell (if he does not confess). Now that overturns all ideas of OSAS and similar. One has to die rather sinless to go to heaven.
More to that, Jesus speaks somewhere of division of the righteous and the unrighteous and that those who took care of Him - fed Him clothed Him etc - (Him meaning as other people) go to eternal life as those who did not clothe Him, feed Him when He was hungry go to hell. Now then - I believe one can believe in JC, and all of a sudden turn away - either from ignorance, pride, or just to prove to oneself he has FW (something i had ideas about). Imagine being a devote christian and then just exploding and killing everyone nearby and committing suicide. I guess that an entire godly life before that cannot save such a person if he decides to do such a thing (with full conscience and approval that it is a deadly sin).

Sanctification I understand as the process (spiritual) that we want to live closer to Christ because we are aware of the fact. That is the psychological effect. As an example, I went to confession yesterday after like 5 months and i somehow feel i want to be better (motivated to for example swear less). That would be one sin less. However, the spiritual effect is only seen by JC (or we in heaven).

I explain things in rather empiric form so that we can understand what it means... if you know what i mean. I believe that even the most pure spiritual things of which we know do have a psychological effect and that's why they work... ;)
I'm not sure I agree with this.

From what I'm reading here, you may have the idea one can lose his/her salvation from one sin, or one backslide so to speak, or one unconfessed sin. If this is what you're saying I would definitely disagree. We have no way of confessing each and every sin. Salvation isn't lost from turning to your sinful ways one day...the losing of salvation comes when the person continues to reject what he/she already accepted. It's the continually ignoring the pull of the HS. This "losing salvation" is exactly like our ability to choose God, we are able to reject God.

No one knows why a Christian might "explode" and kill others and then commit suicide. I would pray that it was something he/she was unable to control and that God knows the problem. I could hardly say with confidence that this person certainly lost their salvation in this case. Sometimes sin (sickness, disease,) cause crazy things to happen that are really out of our control. God knows the heart and either the heart is with Him or it's not.

The point is, OSAS (as promoted here by Jac3510) says one need only believe to gain everlasting life...and that's it. Well, as B.W. has posted, there are many verses that SEEM to contradict John 3:16, and they certainly do if one ONLY SEES JOHN 3:16 as the ONLY words showing the Gospel. The words used are, training to renounce ungodliness, depart from iniquity, sanctification, abstain, holiness..."...anyone who disregards this, disregards not man, but God..."

All words of action.
obsolete
Established Member

Post by obsolete »

From what I'm reading here, you may have the idea one can lose his/her salvation from one sin, or one backslide so to speak, or one unconfessed sin. If this is what you're saying I would definitely disagree. We have no way of confessing each and every sin. Salvation isn't lost from turning to your sinful ways one day...the losing of salvation comes when the person continues to reject what he/she already accepted. It's the continually ignoring the pull of the HS. This "losing salvation" is exactly like our ability to choose God, we are able to reject God.
I also don't think that a person can lose their salvation in one sin. But one sin can lead to many more. I do believe, however, that even just one sin can put a distance between us and God. A barrier, if you will. There is a saying, no matter how many steps you take away from God, He is only one step away from you coming back. That one step is called prayer, and the confessing of one's sins.

So, in a sense, I don't think that one can completely and totally lose their salvation altogether. Once you have accepted Jesus, your name is then forever written in the Lambs Book of Life.

In Revelation 20 it talks about two separate books. The first is the book of life where, when a person is born there name is written in it. Every deed, good or bad is also written in that book. The second is the Lambs Book of Life. Where a persons name is written when they have accepted Christ as their savior.

When the dead are judged they are judged according to what is written in the books. Good deeds that are written in the first book do note measure up to God's standard. Only if your name is written in the Lambs book. Ones name can never be stricken out of the Lamb's Book of Life. So, one cannot possibly lose their salvation and hence be not allowed into Heaven.
Jesus died for ALL. End of story.
BavarianWheels

Post by BavarianWheels »

obsolete wrote:
I also don't think that a person can lose their salvation in one sin. But one sin can lead to many more. I do believe, however, that even just one sin can put a distance between us and God. A barrier, if you will. There is a saying, no matter how many steps you take away from God, He is only one step away from you coming back. That one step is called prayer, and the confessing of one's sins.

So, in a sense, I don't think that one can completely and totally lose their salvation altogether. Once you have accepted Jesus, your name is then forever written in the Lambs Book of Life.

In Revelation 20 it talks about two separate books. The first is the book of life where, when a person is born there name is written in it. Every deed, good or bad is also written in that book. The second is the Lambs Book of Life. Where a persons name is written when they have accepted Christ as their savior.

When the dead are judged they are judged according to what is written in the books. Good deeds that are written in the first book do note measure up to God's standard. Only if your name is written in the Lambs book. Ones name can never be stricken out of the Lamb's Book of Life. So, one cannot possibly lose their salvation and hence be not allowed into Heaven.
I half agree. But in the context of OSAS, I disagree. One can choose to leave God as easily as one chose to believe.

Just because we sin and fall, doesn't mean we lose our salvation if we endeavor to REMAIN in Christ. He knows our heart.
obsolete
Established Member

Post by obsolete »

I half agree.
With which part?
But in the context of OSAS, I disagree. One can choose to leave God as easily as one chose to believe.
Look again closely to this:
Once you have accepted Jesus, your name is then forever written in the Lambs Book of Life.
And this:
Ones name can never be stricken out of the Lamb's Book of Life.
So, I guess you could say that I'm sort of confused as to how you cannot see OSAS in this part.
You can choose to leave God, but you cannot take your name out of the Lambs Book of Life.
He knows our heart.
Agreed.
Jesus died for ALL. End of story.
B. W.
Ultimate Member

Post by B. W. »

Jac's point is that one must believe to be saved and at the point of believing you become saved. This is true and supported by scripture. I agree with this - no argument from me. However, the extremist OSAS that Jac holds carries this truth to the far extreme twisting truth towards error.

I'll try one more time to get through by qualifying my point by this illustration: A person who has been a Christian for 10 years or 30+ years will be different than a new Christian of 1 year. Such is the power of the Holy Spirit in a person's life to transform them into children of light. The older you grow in the Lord, certain things change. You do not live like the devil anymore. Your temperament changes and you come into your own in a godly sort of way.

You do not sin that grace may abound. Instead, through the years you learn from your sins, recognize them, and shed them outright so that these do not rule you any longer. In other words, you sin less than the day before or in some cases, years before.

The power of the indwelling Holy Spirit helps you overcome and learn not to sin. This does not mean anyone will be sinlessly perfect in this life, rather becoming cleaner would be more accurate. The older you grow in the Lord, you discover this. There is evidence that follows you as proof of your belief. I am speaking here of those senior Christians 10 to 80+ years in the Lord. Not brand new believers.

Brand new believers still have issues and God works on them changing them. Such is the nature and power of God to those Born of his Spirit whence they first believed.

Some people do not think there is any evidence at all that can prove one is a believer in Christ or not. This maybe true for a new covert who dies shortly after conversion but what of the older Christian? What journey did God take them through that proves He never let's them go? Such journey is a person's own and through its toils, trials, catastrophes, good times, peaceful, and joyous times an individual grows. This growth is evidence of his or her salvation. We are called to be imitators of Christ — to reflect his ways to each other and thus they do.

Jac goes to the extreme and says that such evidence is not a mark that a person is saved, as the only thing necessary is that they believed. Well they certainly believed and 20 years of living will either produce evidence that they really believed or not. Someone who did not believe will lack evidence and their lives and mouths will prove it. Those that truly believed, their lives and mouths will reflect it. To deny this is to say that the Holy Spirit has no power in the lives of believers!

Again, a person is saved when they first believe in Christ. Yes, by God's grace we have been saved through faith! The Lord will never let you go. If you are permitted to live long enough, your life will be living evidence of your faith in Christ as you grow from faith to faith during your earthly sojourn. The bible enjoins in many chapters and verses to grow into Christ and it teaches you what to expect when and while you grow: Such phrase as 'Put of the old man and put on the new etc and etc' encapsulates what I write is true.

If you are to look closely at what the extremist view of OSAS you'll discover that Belief itself now become a god and thus the Father, Son, and Holy Spirit are unnecessary distractions. Loving God — pointless, obeying God — anathema, only the god called belief is necessary. Woe to any who doubt just once due to a life crisis or catastrophic event during their earthly sojourn! Serving such god called belief has no love, no understanding, and is too weak to bear you home.

Remember John 3 tells one must be born again by God's indwelling Holy Spirit to enter the Kingdom of God and this entrance comes through believing in Christ. Verses 19-21 speak that there is evidence of ones belief as does verse 36. It is true that believing in Jesus is what saves and it is equally true that there will be evidence of believing given time.

John 3:8-21, “The wind blows where it wishes, and you hear its sound, but you do not know where it comes from or where it goes. So it is with everyone who is born of the Spirit." 9 Nicodemus said to him, "How can these things be?" 10Jesus answered him, "Are you the teacher of Israel and yet you do not understand these things? 11 Truly, truly, I say to you, we speak of what we know, and bear witness to what we have seen, but you do not receive our testimony. 12 If I have told you earthly things and you do not believe, how can you believe if I tell you heavenly things? 13 No one has ascended into heaven except he who descended from heaven, the Son of Man. 14 And as Moses lifted up the serpent in the wilderness, so must the Son of Man be lifted up, 15 that whoever believes in him may have eternal life. 16 "For God so loved the world, that he gave his only Son, that whoever believes in him should not perish but have eternal life. 17 For God did not send his Son into the world to condemn the world, but in order that the world might be saved through him. 18 Whoever believes in him is not condemned, but whoever does not believe is condemned already, because he has not believed in the name of the only Son of God. 19 And this is the judgment: the light has come into the world, and people loved the darkness rather than the light because their works were evil. 20 For everyone who does wicked things hates the light and does not come to the light, lest his works should be exposed. 21 But whoever does what is true comes to the light, so that it may be clearly seen that his works have been carried out in God."

John 3:34-36, “For he whom God has sent utters the words of God, for he gives the Spirit without measure. 35 The Father loves the Son and has given all things into his hand. 36 Whoever believes in the Son has eternal life; whoever does not obey the Son shall not see life, but the wrath of God remains on him.

Concerning God's Wrath:

Deuteronomy 32:22, “For a fire is kindled by my anger (wrath), and it burns to the depths of Sheol, devours the earth and its increase, and sets on fire the foundations of the mountains.”

Revelations 20:15, “And if anyone's name was not found written in the book of life, he was thrown into the lake of fire.”

Last Note

Notice the word says in John 3:18, "Whoever believes in him is not condemned, but whoever does not believe is condemned already, because he has not believed in the name of the only Son of God."

How do you tell who really believes and who does not?

Verses 19-21 answer: "And this is the judgment: the light has come into the world, and people loved the darkness rather than the light because their works were evil. 20 For everyone who does wicked things hates the light and does not come to the light, lest his works should be exposed. 21 But whoever does what is true comes to the light, so that it may be clearly seen that his works have been carried out in God."

Compare with:

Ephesians 2:8-10
, "For by grace you have been saved through faith. And this is not your own doing; it is the gift of God, 9 not a result of works, so that no one may boast. 10 For we are his workmanship, created in Christ Jesus for good works, which God prepared beforehand, that we should walk in them."

All Bible quotes from ESV
-
-
-
Science is man's invention - creation is God's
(by B. W. Melvin)

Old Polish Proverb:
Not my Circus....not my monkeys
zoegirl
Old School
Sex: Female

Post by zoegirl »

Amen, the grace that has the power to transform!!
"And we take captive every thought to make it obedient to Jesus Christ"
madscientist
Valued Member
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution

Post by madscientist »

OK so as far as Book of life is concerned one's name cannot be wiped out. Thing is, God already knows who is saved and who is not. Then it can be said that at our time of birth our name either is or is not in the Book. Moreovr, i still believe it is possible for devote christians to do things like that...

back to the sinning with a mortal sin - true, if one dies with a few little sins that doesnt mean he goes to hell, but if one does something bad AND DOES NOT CONFESS OF IT AND REGRET IT then he goes to hell that is the point CCC book is making. Then why so many people want to die without sins and so that they take their last Holy Communion on their way to heaven? If this were unimportant then i dont think it would be such an issue dying unconfessed. Thing is, it's believed that dying unconfessed if sins not that bad this causes person to go to purgatory, and if too bad he goes directly to hell.

For example consider King David or Solomon. They were devote believers from beginning of their lives, yet close to their end they were punished as they had gone astray from God. Now does that mean they were "saved"? I dont think so. I believe had David died after committing the murder of Bethseba's husband then he may not have gone to heaven. However, it was God's plan for him to be saved, so he granted him the opportunity to life further and repent. Then again, he did something towards end of his life, and repented of it (he ordered counting of the IL nation). But nowhere before those 2-3 events does it say David did something bad. OK - but does it mean David had not committed even the smallest sins? I believe that even the best person cannot live sinless; there are no mortal sins or less but there are some little ones.

I however do believe that once someones accepts JC he does get transformed by HS and that if not then - does it mean he is not a believer in the first place? I'd say that's the core of our problem... Yes, belief IS what saves, but when does one truly believe? Again look back at David and Solomon. One would say they would until time of their death remain faithful to God, but was that the case? NO! So, looks like one may go astray at ANY time of their life.

As easily as a totally wasted person, murderer, adulterer, satanist etc can get transformed in the wink of an eye to a better one, the same can happen in reverse. It is a question of our free will. I know that it is less likely to happen, but a person who had believed his entire life, still can, towards end of his life, do horrendous things... maybe not many, but 1. And according to CCC, that ONE mortal sin is enough ti make us lose our salvation. Anyway, the CCC book does believe salvation can be lost as far as I've understood. :roll:
"Love is only possible if a choice of either love or rejecting the love is given." One of the most true things id ever heard, not so long ago.

-MMS-
Jad
Recognized Member

Post by Jad »

3 Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ, who has blessed us with every spiritual blessing in the heavenly places in Christ, 4 just as He chose us in Him before the foundation of the world, that we should be holy and without blame before Him in love, 5 having predestined us to adoption as sons by Jesus Christ to Himself, according to the good pleasure of His will, 6 to the praise of the glory of His grace, by which He made us accepted in the Beloved.
7 In Him we have redemption through His blood, the forgiveness of sins, according to the riches of His grace 8 which He made to abound toward us in all wisdom and prudence, 9 having made known to us the mystery of His will, according to His good pleasure which He purposed in Himself, 10 that in the dispensation of the fullness of the times He might gather together in one all things in Christ, both which are in heaven and which are on earth—in Him. 11 In Him also we have obtained an inheritance, being predestined according to the purpose of Him who works all things according to the counsel of His will, 12 that we who first trusted in Christ should be to the praise of His glory.
13 In Him you also trusted, after you heard the word of truth, the gospel of your salvation; in whom also, having believed, you were sealed with the Holy Spirit of promise, 14 who is the guarantee of our inheritance until the redemption of the purchased possession, to the praise of His glory.

The New King James Version. 1982 (Eph 1:3-14). Nashville: Thomas Nelson.
My understanding of this text is not to do with predestination but assured salvation (OSAS). To me it clearly states that God has predestined eternal life to those who have freely chosen Jesus Christ as savior and Lord. He (God) simply predestined salvation through Christ, not a distinct group of people predestined before time and space to become Christians through no choice of their own. He predestined Christ to die for us, before space and time. And those who freely choose and accept Jesus Christ as Lord and Savior he as predestined for eternal life.

I can be assured of my salvation as much as a finite mind can. However I cannot truly judge another man's assured salvation. We can reason of what 'might' be the case in others but if one falls aways and never returns, or perhaps one appears to be a luke-warm 'christian', the only question we can ask is whether or not they were truly saved in the first place. And that we finite minds can never really know for sure of another person. It seems speculative at best to even consider one being able to fall from salvation.
Ephesians 2:8-10, "For by grace you have been saved through faith. And this is not your own doing; it is the gift of God, 9 not a result of works, so that no one may boast. 10 For we are his workmanship, created in Christ Jesus for good works, which God prepared beforehand, that we should walk in them."
A gift is something given without expecting anything in return. Lets say a father gives his son a new bike. But then one day the son doesn't clean up his bedroom so the father takes the bike away. Is the gift really a true gift or is it a gift with strings attached? This is not a gift at all if that is the case. Salvation is a true gift with no strings attached. Once you truly accept that gift, God does not take it back at any time. If He did that would be defeating the very purpose of what a gift is and the God of the Bible is not in the business of contradicting Himself.

If I were to give you one million dollars right now, would it be something you earned? It is a gift, and I really don't know any of you so of course it would not be something earned on your part. I think we can all agree on that. But there is one thing you still have to do in order to get it. You have to accept it. In like manner we accept Christ, not by anything we've earned, or anything we are going to do thereafter.

Like these scriptures above clearly show us, the gift of salvation is exactly that, a true gift of eternal life which is promised elsewhere in Scripture as well. And on top of all that it was predestined before the world began!
20 For all the promises of God in Him are Yes, and in Him Amen, to the glory of God through us. 21 Now He who establishes us with you in Christ and has anointed us is God, 22 who also has sealed us and given us the Spirit in our hearts as a guarantee.

The New King James Version. 1982 (2 Co 1:20-22). Nashville: Thomas Nelson.
Disclaimer: I do not have one million dollars. 8) :ewink:
"But in your hearts set Christ apart as holy [and acknowledge Him] as Lord. Always be ready to give a logical defense to anyone who asks you to account for the hope that is in you, but do it courteously and respectfully." (1 Peter 3:15)

[url=callto://spudau]Image[/url]
jaquesb
Newbie Member
Creation Position: Young-Earth Creationist

Post by jaquesb »

Hi there people,

I saw the thread, though it to be interesting, and would like to say a few words myself.

I think that the Bible need to be read in context, and you shouldn't take only one verse and preach that, because you might get it wrong.

Personally, according to scripture that I read, I can't believe in OSAS. John 3:16 said for everyone that believes you have everlasting life. When does that begin? and if you stop believing, does the everlasting life stop? I think everlasting life begins when your flesh dies. Which means that Gal 2:20 needs to come in effect

Read Rom 11:19-21:
19:Then you will say, "Branches were broken off because off so that I might be grafted in.
20: That is trtue. Theye were broken off because of their unbelieve, but you stand fast through faith. So do not become proud, but fear.
21: For if God did not spare the natural branches, neither will He spare you.

A person is saved by grace (Eph 2:8) and not through ourselfs, but what happens after that? James 2 is telling us that faith without works is dead. So if the faith is dead, do you still believe?
Read Jam 2:12-13
12: So speak and so act as those who are to be judged under the law of liberty.
13: For judgement is WITHOUT MERCY to one who has shown no mercy. Mercy triumphs over judgement. (Emphases added)
Is this now works?

The Parable of the prodical son only shows that the Lord will always take you back if you lost your way. He is standing awaiting your return. But if the son died on his jurney, he would never have received the blessings again.
Look at the parable of the 10 virgins. They were all "saved" awaiting the lord, but 5 of them were unwise. They lost there way as to speak because they had to go and refill there lamps, and in the process Jesus came, and took the ones that was faithfully awaiting Him in, and the others He said He never knew them.

Let me say just this one last thing. The reason why people believe in the OSAS theory occording to me, is the same reason why athiests believe in the evolution theory. It is for the same reason why a lot of people think that the church won't be part of the trebulation. As was said earlier in the thread about the tree that didn't bear fruit. It was taken out and thrown into the fire.

Bless you all.
catherine
Established Member
Sex: Female
Creation Position: Undecided

Post by catherine »

I still believe whole heartedly that the scriptures when read all together and in context, are quite clear that salvation can be lost. Jacuesb quoted very strong scriptures in support of this: Romans 11:17 and onwards, and I'd like to stress verse 22:

Consider therefore the kindness and sterness of God: sterness to those who fell, but kindness to you, PROVIDED YOU CONTINUE IN HIS KINDNESS. Otherwise you will also be cut off.