Commentary on Gen 1-2

Discussions about the Bible, and any issues raised by Scripture.
Kurieuo
Honored Member
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Progressive Creationist

Re: Commentary on Gen 1-2

Post by Kurieuo »

Jac3510 wrote:As most of you know, I used to strongly lean toward the OEC camp. Recent studies have pulled me back in the direction of YEC, but, still only leaning, I want to be sure to consider the OEC position on the same terms that I am finding YEC so persuasive. To that end, I'd like to see something of an exegetical commentary on Gen 1-2. Mind you, I'm not interested in trying to find a reading that fits with modern science. What I am interested in is an exegetical and theological exposition of the creation account. Further, I am interested in seeing this done from the perspective of the original audience, which means no references to Scripture outside the Pentateuch (anything in the Torah is acceptable on the notion that all five books were available to the original audience).

In short, what I'm after is an exposition that brings out the theological and historical purpose of the text. Line by line, how did Moses intend the passage to be read? What was he driving at? What was his purpose? What did he intend the narrative to teach, and for what reason? What is its relationship to the rest of Genesis and why?

These are the questions that any basic exposition of any passage has to answer. It's obvious how the day-age theory fits in with science. I've seen it defended numerous times as far as validity. I'm not disputing that. What I've not had the pleasure of coming across is a coherent, self-containing exposition of the purpose and theology of the original story in its own context. I've seen that in abundance in YEC literature, so hopefully, if nothing else, this will add a bit of value to the ever ongoing debate.

So, to whomever, if anyone, decides this is a worthy undertaking, thanks much, and God bless :)

Edited for clarity to remove possibility of perceived bias where none is intended
Hi Jac,

Going through some older posts. I'm not sure I understand exactly what you are looking for to satisfy your mind with Day-Age position. It seems a bit strange also limited Scripture, which is all inspired of God, to the Pentateuch only. However, nonetheless, I'd be interested to read the examples of which you speak in YEC literature that abound.

I think all that could really be said of any position, is the Moses intended Gen 1-2 to lay down foundations for our origins, God and the divide that exists between God and us. The audience was normally read to, so culture played a large part. Most of what I read for YEC is usually a jumble of words, reactive to science and evolution, questions Christian orthodoxy, and is generally based on the popularisation of the Scofield Reference Bible. So I'd be interested to see something else like inline with what you are after of the Day-Age.