Catholics and evolution

Discussion about scientific issues as they relate to God and Christianity including archaeology, origins of life, the universe, intelligent design, evolution, etc.
August
Old School
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Day-Age

Post by August »

Yehren wrote:The Catholic Church recognizes that evolution is completely compatible with Christian faith. Orthodox Christians generally agree, although a few aberrant churches deny evolution.

However, the Church recognizes that science is one thing and faith is another.

So it's not a doctrine, nor should it be.
I'm sorry, but the RCC does not recognize the ToE unconditionally. It very clearly states that the version of evolution they underwrite is a guided process, not the unguided, unplanned version generally taught today. Also, you are repeatedly appealing to authority and majority, both fallacies.
http://www.catholiceducation.org/articl ... c0060.html
Acts 17:24-25 (NIV)
"The God who made the world and everything in it is the Lord of heaven and earth and does not live in temples built by hands. [25] And he is not served by human hands, as if he needed anything, because he himself gives all men life and breath and everything else."

//www.omnipotentgrace.org
//christianskepticism.blogspot.com
Yehren
Established Member

Post by Yehren »

I'm sorry, but the RCC does not recognize the ToE unconditionally.
Neither do scientists. They only accept what the evidence says, and that is conditional on new evidence not changing it. That's a good thing.
It very clearly states that the version of evolution they underwrite is a guided process, not the unguided, unplanned version generally taught today.
No one, so far as I know teaches that. And, as Pope Benedict XIV says, God can use contingency to create just as easily as anything else. Those who don't think so, greatly underestimate Him.
Also, you are repeatedly appealing to authority and majority, both fallacies.
Nope. First, an appeal to authority is valid, so long as the authority really exists. Hence, the Pope is a good authority on Christian belief, and biologists are good authorities on biology.

Second, the issue was what Christians believe, and pointing out that most accept evolution is perfectly valid in that case.
August
Old School

Post by August »

Yehren wrote:
Neither do scientists. They only accept what the evidence says, and that is conditional on new evidence not changing it. That's a good thing.
Within the exisiting hypothesis, which they state as fact.
No one, so far as I know teaches that. And, as Pope Benedict XIV says, God can use contingency to create just as easily as anything else. Those who don't think so, greatly underestimate Him.
What are you talking about? When last did you read a biology textbook? But just so we are sure, here is Berkeley's link explaining the ToE:
http://evolution.berkeley.edu/evosite/e ... ndex.shtml
Read specifically what it says about genetic variations. As for the Pope's quote, that can be interpreted any which way.
Nope. First, an appeal to authority is valid, so long as the authority really exists. Hence, the Pope is a good authority on Christian belief, and biologists are good authorities on biology.

Second, the issue was what Christians believe, and pointing out that most accept evolution is perfectly valid in that case.
But then you have to actually believe what the authority says, and the Pope and the biologists are disagreeing. Otherwise, why are so many biologists atheists or agnostics?

You have also not shown that most Christians accept evolution, you just keep on asserting that.
"The God who made the world and everything in it is the Lord of heaven and earth and does not live in temples built by hands. [25] And he is not served by human hands, as if he needed anything, because he himself gives all men life and breath and everything else."

BGoodForGoodSake
Ultimate Member
Christian: No

Post by BGoodForGoodSake »

August wrote:
Yehren wrote: Neither do scientists. They only accept what the evidence says, and that is conditional on new evidence not changing it. That's a good thing.
What are you talking about? When last did you read a biology textbook? But just so we are sure, here is Berkeley's link explaining the ToE:
Read specifically what it says about genetic variations.
I'm sorry I'm not sure what you want us to refer too.
August wrote:But then you have to actually believe what the authority says, and the Pope and the biologists are disagreeing. Otherwise, why are so many biologists atheists or agnostics?
So an athiest truck driver is an athiest because truck driving and the pope don't agree???
It is not length of life, but depth of life. -- Ralph Waldo Emerson
Yehren
Established Member

Post by Yehren »

Yehren observes:
Yehren Observes:
What are you talking about?
Contingency and evolution.
When last did you read a biology textbook?
I review them from time to time. Three days ago for the last one.
But just so we are sure, here is Berkeley's link explaining the ToE:
Yep, but as people realize, God can use contingency to create.
Read specifically what it says about genetic variations.
I guess you'd better tell me what you think it says.
As for the Pope's quote, that can be interpreted any which way.
For English users, it means that God can use contingency in His creation.

Yehren observes:

But then you have to actually believe what the authority says,
Or at least take it into account, including the credibility of the source. If it's computer repair, I have more confidence in a computer repairman than my barber.
and the Pope and the biologists are disagreeing.
Don't see how.
Otherwise, why are so many biologists atheists or agnostics?
About half of them are theists of some sort. Rather, we should say why are so many not atheists or agnostics.
You have also not shown that most Christians accept evolution, you just keep on asserting that.
Even in America, creationists are a minority. And they are quite rare elsewhere.
Jbuza
Esteemed Senior Member

Post by Jbuza »

Yehren wrote:
Even in America, creationists are a minority. And they are quite rare elsewhere.
I guess if your into making just empty claims it really doesn't matter if they are true or not.

http://www.religioustolerance.org/ev_publi.htm
http://www.answersingenesis.org/docs/4178.asp
Yehren
Established Member

Post by Yehren »

Hmmm... did you even read the results?
1991:
47% creationist 49% evolutionist (mostly theistic)

By 1997:
44% creationist, 49% evolutionist (again mostly theistic)
http://www.religioustolerance.org/ev_publi.htm

Here's more good news:
By 2004, it was
45% creationist, 51% evolutionist (again mostly theistic)
(only 13% were naturalistic, as opposed to theistic evolution)
http://poll.gallup.com/content/default.aspx?CI=14107

Notice that those who did not finish high school were 65% in favor of creationism, but those who finished college were only 25% in favor of creationism. This explains the trend. There are more people graduating from high school now, and there's been a 28% increase in the percentage of college graduates, according to the Statistical Abstract of the United States.
http://www.census.gov/statab/www/edu.html

Educational reforms are taking effect, albeit slowly.

As I said, creationists are a minority, even in America.
Last edited by Yehren on Wed Dec 21, 2005 6:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jbuza
Esteemed Senior Member

Post by Jbuza »

Oh Yes. I see, I was also claiming the people that believe that things cannot be explained simply through the naturalistic evolution of science. IT seems that the theistic evoutionsists must adhere to some sort of creative event.

Perhaps those who seek after the wisdom of this world will not inherit the next.

God indicates tht few wise will be chosen.
Yehren
Established Member

Post by Yehren »

Oh Yes. I see, I was also claiming the people that believe that things cannot be explained simply through the naturalistic evolution of science.
The great majority of evolutionists agree with you on that. However, as I said, creationists are a minority, even in America.
IT seems that the theistic evoutionsists must adhere to some sort of creative event.
Yep. As you learned, there is no conflict between evolution and Christianity.
Perhaps those who seek after the wisdom of this world will not inherit the next.

More and more of them, if the Gallup Poll is correct.
AttentionKMartShoppers
Ultimate Member

Post by AttentionKMartShoppers »

Yehren, you need a lesson in logical fallacies. You know why you don't appeal to majority? It leads to absurdities...the syllogism goes like this:

Whatever is true will be believed by the majority
The majority believes A is true
Therefore, A is true.

But this syllogism is absurd-when Darwin's theory came out, there was much criticism. So, using your logic, evolution was false, until the majority of scientists began to believe in it. But that is absurd!
The great majority of evolutionists agree with you on that. However, as I said, creationists are a minority, even in America.
Stop asserting this with no evidence of any sort.
Last edited by AttentionKMartShoppers on Wed Dec 21, 2005 9:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"My actions prove that God takes care of idiots."

He occasionally stumbled over the truth, but hastily picked himself up and hurried on as if nothing had happened.
- On Stanley Baldwin

-Winston Churchill

An atheist can't find God for the same reason a criminal can't find a police officer.

You need to start asking out girls so that you can get used to the rejections.
-Anonymous
August
Old School

Post by August »

Yehren wrote:The Catholic Church recognizes that evolution is completely compatible with Christian faith. Orthodox Christians generally agree, although a few aberrant churches deny evolution.

However, the Church recognizes that science is one thing and faith is another.

So it's not a doctrine, nor should it be.
Looks like you do not quite know where the RCC stands on the topic of evolution. But if it's not a doctrine of the church, how can you assert that the majority of the members of that church believes it?

You also have provided no source for your assertion that "orthodox Christians generally agree". It is a rather baseless assertion.
No, and you should be ashamed of yourself for stooping to make such a false accusation.
It was not an accusation, it was a personal observation based on our discussion, as I clearly stated. And I don't need lessons in morality from you, thank you very much.
You don't seem to understand that the TOE can neither agree nor disagree with that. It is too weak a method to say one way or the other. You might as well assail chemistry for not including God.

Please, no more false accusations. Let's keep this honest and civil. Your cooperation will be appreciated.
How many more times must I show you that the ToE states that genetic variation is random? And that if nature selects, God does not select, or is God=nature? And even if you make that argument, you don't seem to be able to grasp that if it selects based on randomness, there is no space for intelligence. It can only select what is there to select, nothing else. Either the selectable genetic material comes about by chance, or it comes about by design. It cannot be both. Right now the ToE states that is by chance.

All you have done since coming here is to assert and reassert, you have not shown any evidence or sources for your arguments, since you apparently think that you know it all, and we should just accept that.
(sigh) No, that's not what it says. Please learn what it actually says. I would help you greatly in these discussions.
Sigh. Yes, that is what it says.
"Evolutionary theory is a body of statements about the processes of evolution that are believed to have caused the history of evolutionary events. Biological evolution occurs as the consequence of random and nonrandom processes.
A. Random Processes
1. Mutation
Variation in the characteristics of organisms in a population originates through random mutation of DNA sequences (genes) that affect the characteristics. Genetic variation is augmented by recombination during sexual reproduction, which results in new combinations of genes.
Variation is also augmented by gene flow, the input of new genes from other populations.
2. Genetic Drift
Genetic drift, results from random variation in the survival and reproduction of different genotypes. In genetic drift, the frequencies of alleles fluctuate by pure chance. Eventually, one allele will replace the others (i.e., it will be fixed in the population). Genetic drift is most important when the alleles of a gene are neutral and it proceeds
faster, the smaller the population is. Genetic drift results in evolutionary change, but not in adaptation.
B. Nonrandom Processes
The other major cause of change in the frequencies of alleles is natural selection, which is a name for any consistent (nonrandom) difference among organisms bearing different alleles or genotypes in their rate of survival or reproduction (i.e., their fitness) due to differences in one or more characteristics. A common consequence of natural selection is adaptation, an improvement in the average ability of the population's members to survive and reproduce in their environment. Natural selection is the ultimate cause of adaptations, but it cannot produce such adaptations unless mutation and recombination generate genetic variation on which it can act."
http://faculty.evansville.edu/de3/b3990 ... n%20random'

I know what it says. You just don't seem to want to deal with it.

BGoodForGoodSake
Ultimate Member
Christian: No

Post by BGoodForGoodSake »

August wrote:Sigh. Yes, that is what it says.
"Evolutionary theory is a body of statements about the processes of evolution that are believed to have caused the history of evolutionary events. Biological evolution occurs as the consequence of random and nonrandom processes.
A. Random Processes
1. Mutation
Variation in the characteristics of organisms in a population originates through random mutation of DNA sequences (genes) that affect the characteristics. Genetic variation is augmented by recombination during sexual reproduction, which results in new combinations of genes.
Variation is also augmented by gene flow, the input of new genes from other populations.
2. Genetic Drift
Genetic drift, results from random variation in the survival and reproduction of different genotypes. In genetic drift, the frequencies of alleles fluctuate by pure chance. Eventually, one allele will replace the others (i.e., it will be fixed in the population). Genetic drift is most important when the alleles of a gene are neutral and it proceeds
faster, the smaller the population is. Genetic drift results in evolutionary change, but not in adaptation.
1 and 2 are related.
Of course it's random from our perspective. We don't know all the variables involved! As we delve into the process further we are begining to discover more about what exactly causes mutations. But we cannot predict it.

It is termed random because we cannot know when it occurs or what caused it.

Just like tossing a die we don't know what number it will land on. Are you saying that even God himself doesn't know how the die will lie??
Are you?

Quantum physics is completely random, why do you not have a problem with that? Basically everything in existance is made up of quantum particles which randomly appear and dissapear act as waves and particles and only resolve to where they appear to us when being observed. Is this illusionary perspective of the world ok with your worldview?
It is not length of life, but depth of life. -- Ralph Waldo Emerson
Jbuza
Esteemed Senior Member

Post by Jbuza »

Yehren wrote:Yep. As you learned, there is no conflict between evolution and Christianity.
I believe there is.
Yehren wrote:
Jbuza wrote: Perhaps those who seek after the wisdom of this world will not inherit the next.

More and more of them, if the Gallup Poll is correct.
The poll indicated that the more educated someone is the higher chance that they will accept what education has been shoveling down their throat about evolution.
Yehren
Established Member

Post by Yehren »

Looks like you do not quite know where the RCC stands on the topic of evolution.
I think I do. Let's see...
But if it's not a doctrine of the church, how can you assert that the majority of the members of that church believes it?
It is the doctrine of the Church that evolution is consistent with Christian belief. It is not the doctrine of the Church that evolution is a fact, since that is a scientific question, and outside the magisterum of the Church.
You also have provided no source for your assertion that "orthodox Christians generally agree". It is a rather baseless assertion.
There are slightly more Catholics than all other Christians combined. And they acknowledge that evolution is consistent with our faith.

Yehren observes:
No, and you should be ashamed of yourself for stooping to make such a false accusation.
It was not an accusation, it was a personal observation based on our discussion, as I clearly stated. And I don't need lessons in morality from you, thank you very much.
You should be careful with accusations of dishonesty. They can turn around and bite you.

Yehren observes, re science's inability to support God:
You don't seem to understand that the TOE can neither agree nor disagree with that. It is too weak a method to say one way or the other. You might as well assail chemistry for not including God.

Please, no more false accusations. Let's keep this honest and civil. Your cooperation will be appreciated.
How many more times must I show you that the ToE states that genetic variation is random?
A random process, (variation) plus a directed process (natural selection) is a directed process. This is what you are having trouble understanding.
And that if nature selects, God does not select, or is God=nature?
In other words "carpenters don't drive nails; hammers drive nails." Do you see a problem with that?
And even if you make that argument, you don't seem to be able to grasp that if it selects based on randomness, there is no space for intelligence.
None for human intelligence. But God can (and does) use contingency to serve His purposes.
It can only select what is there to select, nothing else.
But it always gets where it's supposed to go. Evolution moves to a result, not a plan. How it gets there will vary. Hence analogous organs. But as the Pope says, God can use contingency as easily as anything else. We may demand that God had to do it in ways that are comprehensible to us, but that has little effect on Him, I think.
Either the selectable genetic material comes about by chance, or it comes about by design. It cannot be both.
All things are possible with God. You are just ascribing human limitations to Him.
Right now the ToE states that is by chance.
Fortunately, natural selection is the antithesis of chance. And so the process is not random, but directed.
All you have done since coming here is to assert and reassert, you have not shown any evidence or sources for your arguments, since you apparently think that you know it all, and we should just accept that.
I have cited both scripture and research here, to show what is true. I would be pleased to show you evidence for the above, although no person with training in biology or the Bible would doubt it.
Quote:
The ToE states clearly that it is a random unguided process that accounts for the diversity of life,
Yehren:
(sigh) No, that's not what it says. Please learn what it actually says. I would help you greatly in these discussions.
Sigh. Yes, that is what it says.
A. Random Processes
1. Mutation
2. Genetic Drift
B. Nonrandom Processes
The other major cause of change in the frequencies of alleles is natural selection, which is a name for any consistent (nonrandom) difference among organisms bearing different alleles or genotypes in their rate of survival or reproduction (i.e., their fitness) due to differences in one or more characteristics. A common consequence of natural selection is adaptation, an improvement in the average ability of the population's members to survive and reproduce in their environment. Natural selection is the ultimate cause of adaptations, but it cannot produce such adaptations unless mutation and recombination generate genetic variation on which it can act."

I know what it says. You just don't seem to want to deal with it.
But it says just the opposite of what you said it did. It clearly shows that evolution is a combination of random and nonrandom processes. And random process plus nonrandom process becomes a nonrandom process.

Would it help if I gave you an exercise to test this idea?
Last edited by Yehren on Thu Dec 22, 2005 9:42 am, edited 1 time in total.
Fortigurn
Esteemed Senior Member

Post by Fortigurn »

Yehren wrote:
Also, you are repeatedly appealing to authority and majority, both fallacies.

I need to see some amazingly good evidence to prove that 'the Pope is a good authority on Christian belief'. :lol: