God + love + hell = ?

Are you a sincere seeker who has questions about Christianity, or a Christian with doubts about your faith? Post them here to receive a thoughtful response.
Byblos
Old School
Christian: Yes

Re: God + love + hell = ?

Post by Byblos »

Great post B.W. :clap: :clap: :clap:
Let us proclaim the mystery of our faith: Christ has died, Christ is risen, Christ will come again.

Lord I am not worthy that you should enter under my roof, but only say the word and my soul shall be healed.
Furstentum Liechtenstein
Ultimate Member
Sex: It's Complicated
Creation Position: Young-Earth Creationist

Post by Furstentum Liechtenstein »

Excellent post, B.W.

Scroll up, BavarianWheels, and read it; if this doesn't convince you of consciousness & individuality after death, nothing will.

FL
Hold everything lightly. If you don't, it will hurt when God pries your fingers loose as He takes it from you. -Corrie Ten Boom

+ + +

If they had a social gospel in the days of the prodigal son, somebody would have given him a bed and a sandwich and he never would have gone home.

+ + +
BavarianWheels
Prestigious Senior Member
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Day-Age

Post by BavarianWheels »

Fürstentum Liechtenstein wrote:Excellent post, B.W.

Scroll up, BavarianWheels, and read it; if this doesn't convince you of consciousness & individuality after death, nothing will.

FL
I believe in consiousness and individuality after death...just not prior to Christ's second coming. (normally)
Fürstentum Liechtenstein wrote:-Why would a spirit from the Father of Lies prophesy Truth? (What's in it for him?) Give biblical evidence to back your point.
I was doing some reading and came across these passages that reminded me of this question you had asked.

Matthew 8:28-31

Mark 5:1-13

Luke 4:33-35

Luke 8:27-33

Each of these instances the demons do not lie about who Jesus is...or who they are.
Wouldn't it better serve their "purpose" to lie about who Jesus is?
It seems clear that demons can speak the truth.
Canuckster1127
Old School
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution

Post by Canuckster1127 »

I think you're right. Demons can speak the truth. In the instances quoted I think that characteristic speaks to who Jesus is and His authority over them.

I think if you do a Biblical theme study of all the instances of Satan and Demons spreaking you'll find in most instances they speak truth sometimes, they often leave important elements of truth out to where the whole truth is not spoken, or they twist the truth with a specific element designed to deceive.

The most effective means to distort is often not a blatant lie, but rather a partial truth.
Dogmatism is the comfortable intellectual framework of self-righteousness. Self-righteousness is more decadent than the worst sexual sin. ~ Dan Allender
frankbaginski
Valued Member

Post by frankbaginski »

Jesus or someone using the authority of Jesus can command a demon to speak the truth.

Nice post B.W.
Furstentum Liechtenstein
Ultimate Member

BavarianWheels wrote:Fürstentum Liechtenstein wrote:-Why would a spirit from the Father of Lies prophesy Truth? (What's in it for him?) Give biblical evidence to back your point. -FL

I was doing some reading and came across these passages that reminded me of this question you had asked. Matthew 8:28-31,Mark 5:1-13, Luke 4:33-35, Luke 8:27-33. Each of these instances the demons do not lie about who Jesus is...or who they are. Wouldn't it better serve their "purpose" to lie about who Jesus is? It seems clear that demons can speak the truth.
Okay...There are two points I'd like to address about the above quote:

First point: I checked out the biblical passages you referred to. They deal with Jesus' encounter with the demon-possessed man (or men) in the Gadarenes. Jesus sent the demons (who identified themselves as "Legion") into a herd of pigs who then rushed down the embankment into the lake below, and drowned.

You are correct: the demons are able speak the truth at least insofar as facts are concerned. They acknowledged Jesus' identity, acknowledged that there was an 'appointed time' for their punishment, and gave their name. I think we can conclude from this that demons know the Word of God...both the written Word and the Word made flesh.

The situation in 1 Sa 28:13-19 is quite different. Here, we are not concerned with simple facts but with prophecy about future events. Not "Grand events" in the distant future - like an "appointed time" for punishment - but personal events of the very next day and the reason why the Lord had them happen.

Second point: You seem to have understood my question as "Why would a spirit from the Father of Lies say something True?" I asked, "Why would a spirit from the Father of Lies prophesy Truth?

Now to Canuckster:
Canuckster1127 wrote:I think if you do a Biblical theme study of all the instances of Satan and Demons spreaking you'll find in most instances they speak truth sometimes, they often leave important elements of truth out to where the whole truth is not spoken, or they twist the truth with a specific element designed to deceive. The most effective means to distort is often not a blatant lie, but rather a partial truth.
Mixing in a wee bit of lie with a bunch of truth causes the whole batch to be a lie...a little leaven works through the whole dough...

As a "successful" theif and con man for 25+ years before coming to the Lord, I have intimate knowledge of mixing truth and lies. That mixture is nothing but a Big lie.

FL
Hold everything lightly. If you don't, it will hurt when God pries your fingers loose as He takes it from you. -Corrie Ten Boom

+ + +

If they had a social gospel in the days of the prodigal son, somebody would have given him a bed and a sandwich and he never would have gone home.

+ + +
Furstentum Liechtenstein
Ultimate Member

Dear You, the Reader,

I have revisited this thread after having read B.W.'s book A Land Unknown, Hell's Dominion. B.W. Melvin, the person who posts here under the name B.W., wrote this book after going through a Near Death Experience.

The book sheds new light on NDEs and shows that they are not necissarily the beatific experiences that the popular press has made them out to be.

I enjoyed B.W.'s book so much that I bought 5 other copies to give away to those around me.

FL

+ + +

+ + +
Cross.eyed
Valued Member
Creation Position: Undecided

Post by Cross.eyed »

Fürstentum Liechtenstein wrote:Dear You, the Reader,

I have revisited this thread after having read B.W.'s book A Land Unknown, Hell's Dominion. B.W. Melvin, the person who posts here under the name B.W., wrote this book after going through a Near Death Experience.

The book sheds new light on NDEs and shows that they are not necissarily the beatific experiences that the popular press has made them out to be.

I enjoyed B.W.'s book so much that I bought 5 other copies to give away to those around me.

FL
Hi Brother and friend, I've come mooching; Could you give me a PM as to how to go about ordering B.W.'s book ?
As with most stuff-I haven't a clue.
I am the wretch the song refers to.
Furstentum Liechtenstein
Ultimate Member

Cross.eyed wrote:
Fürstentum Liechtenstein wrote:Dear You, the Reader,

FL
Hi Brother and friend, I've come mooching; Could you give me a PM as to how to go about ordering B.W.'s book ?
As with most stuff-I haven't a clue.
Never mind the PM, Brother! Here's the way for all to see:

-click http://www.amazon.com
-in the «Search» box, type in A Land Unknown

The book will pop up.

Buy it.

+ + +

+ + +
Cross.eyed
Valued Member
Creation Position: Undecided

Post by Cross.eyed »

FL, you are a gem.
Thanks once again for your help.

Update: I started reading B.W.'s book yesterday (11-24-08) and I couldn't put it down until duty forced me!
Likely, I'll finish it tonight -sans duties that is....

Thanks FL and B.W.
I am the wretch the song refers to.