RTB: Serious Problems with Evolution

Discussion about scientific issues as they relate to God and Christianity including archaeology, origins of life, the universe, intelligent design, evolution, etc.
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Day-Age

Re: RTB: Serious Problems with Evolution

Post by RickD »

crochet1949 wrote:
hughfarey wrote:
Kurieuo wrote:A finch remains a finch, the Italian lizard as it lizard, despite these adapative changes. It's like they have an elastic band on them, which allows them to travel inches and not miles. Unless, there is a way to snap that rubber band and re-encode, if you will, their genome (which require other mechanisms to be brought to bare than I think those displayed with finches and these lizards).
Well no. There is no evidence that there is any elastic band. You're falling into the abelcainsbrother fallacy, which is that if it hasn't been watched in a laboratory it can't be true, but in fact the processes that lead one finch to have a slightly thicker beak than another are the same processes that enabled a reptile with split ends to learn, after several million years, to fly.

That reptile was a mighty Slow learner since it took That long to learn to fly.
Pigs can't fly, but given several millions of years, previously flightless reptiles can sprout wings and fly. Sounds like a hughfareytale to me.

In other words, we don't have actual evidence that shows flightless lizards can grow wings and fly, but heck, given several millions of years, anything is possible, right?
John 5:24
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

“A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.”
-Edward R Murrow

St. Richard the Sarcastic--The Patron Saint of Irony
crochet1949
Esteemed Senior Member
Sex: Female
Creation Position: Young-Earth Creationist

Post by crochet1949 »

hughfarey wrote:
crochet1949 wrote:To interject a thought -- DNA was discovered by someone -- which means it's Always been around -- it Came from Somewhere. And, this world 'evolved' / developed from Somewhere. Everything has an Origin. Things don't simply 'become' from ???? --
Yes they do, all the time. Rain becomes a river, volcanoes become islands, single cells become babies. Chemical solutions became self-replicating molecules. I'm not clear what point you are making.

Rain comes from the sky --is simply one form of moisture as is hail , fog, snow. And That comes from clouds. Part of the nature that God created. Remember -- before Noah's rain there hadn't been rain. Earth was watered from under the earth. Rain Can form rivers, but not necessarily. Drought Can dry up rivers and often Does. Egg and sperm unite and Can make baby. Egg by itself becomes Nothing. Sperm, by itself, doesn't produce anything , either. The chemical came from Somewhere. "In the beginning , God created the heavens and the earth". :esmile:
crochet1949
Esteemed Senior Member

Post by crochet1949 »

RickD wrote:
crochet1949 wrote:
hughfarey wrote:
Kurieuo wrote:A finch remains a finch, the Italian lizard as it lizard, despite these adapative changes. It's like they have an elastic band on them, which allows them to travel inches and not miles. Unless, there is a way to snap that rubber band and re-encode, if you will, their genome (which require other mechanisms to be brought to bare than I think those displayed with finches and these lizards).
Well no. There is no evidence that there is any elastic band. You're falling into the abelcainsbrother fallacy, which is that if it hasn't been watched in a laboratory it can't be true, but in fact the processes that lead one finch to have a slightly thicker beak than another are the same processes that enabled a reptile with split ends to learn, after several million years, to fly.

That reptile was a mighty Slow learner since it took That long to learn to fly.
Pigs can't fly, but given several millions of years, previously flightless reptiles can sprout wings and fly. Sounds like a hughfareytale to me.

In other words, we don't have actual evidence that shows flightless lizards can grow wings and fly, but heck, given several millions of years, anything is possible, right?

Ya, why not. :roll: :ebiggrin:
Kurieuo
Honored Member
Creation Position: Progressive Creationist

Post by Kurieuo »

crochet1949 wrote:
hughfarey wrote:
crochet1949 wrote:To interject a thought -- DNA was discovered by someone -- which means it's Always been around -- it Came from Somewhere. And, this world 'evolved' / developed from Somewhere. Everything has an Origin. Things don't simply 'become' from ???? --
Yes they do, all the time. Rain becomes a river, volcanoes become islands, single cells become babies. Chemical solutions became self-replicating molecules. I'm not clear what point you are making.
Rain comes from the sky --is simply one form of moisture as is hail , fog, snow. And That comes from clouds. Part of the nature that God created. Remember -- before Noah's rain there hadn't been rain. Earth was watered from under the earth. Rain Can form rivers, but not necessarily. Drought Can dry up rivers and often Does. Egg and sperm unite and Can make baby. Egg by itself becomes Nothing. Sperm, by itself, doesn't produce anything , either. The chemical came from Somewhere. "In the beginning , God created the heavens and the earth". :esmile:
I don't know if you're being tongue-in-cheek. I don't read that anywhere in Scripture that "before Noah's rain there hadn't been rain." Re: eggs and sperm, there are species where females are known to be able to fertilse their own eggs. I can agree with all else. ;)
"Whoever will call on the name of the Lord will be saved." (Romans 10:13)
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by RickD »

Kurieuo wrote:
crochet1949 wrote:
hughfarey wrote:
I don't know if you're being tongue-in-cheek. I don't read that anywhere in Scripture that "before Noah's rain there hadn't been rain." Re: eggs and sperm, there are species where females are known to be able to fertilse their own eggs. I can agree with all else. ;)
Maybe crochet is thinking about Genesis 2:5 perhaps?
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

-Edward R Murrow

Kurieuo
Honored Member

Post by Kurieuo »

RickD wrote:
Kurieuo wrote:
crochet1949 wrote:
hughfarey wrote:
I think Noah came into the picture long after God's creation events.
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member

Post by RickD »

Kurieuo wrote:
RickD wrote:
Kurieuo wrote:
crochet1949 wrote:
hughfarey wrote:Yes they do, all the time. Rain becomes a river, volcanoes become islands, single cells become babies. Chemical solutions became self-replicating molecules. I'm not clear what point you are making.
Assuming a 6000 year old creation, not much after. ;)

-Edward R Murrow

Kurieuo
Honored Member

Post by Kurieuo »

RickD wrote:
Kurieuo wrote:
RickD wrote:
Kurieuo wrote:
crochet1949 wrote:
Assuming a 6000 year old creation, not much after. ;)
2000 years after, which is one-third of Earth's history for such YECs.
crochet1949
Esteemed Senior Member

Post by crochet1949 »

Yes, I was thinking about Genesis 2:5 -- thank you RickD.

I was thinking about the People population reproducing. Then again, though, there Were a male and female of every 'mating' type of animal taken into the ark. Plus 7 of clean and unclean taken.

Yay, some of ya'll are admitting that you actually agree with me on Some things. That's a least a Start :)
Kurieuo
Honored Member

Post by Kurieuo »

I think when you're with God Crouchet, you'll have quite a few surprises given you accept such old and wrong beliefs, alongside TEs at the other end of the scale. As for my own views, no way I'm wrong about my PC. :P
crochet1949
Esteemed Senior Member

Post by crochet1949 »

Kurieuo wrote:I think when you're with God Crouchet, you'll have quite a few surprises given you accept such old and wrong beliefs, alongside TEs at the other end of the scale. As for my own views, no way I'm wrong about my PC. :P

I kinda suspect that when I Am finally with God -- It Won't Matter. As for Now -- we have Lots of interesting discussion.

Your PC? Personal Computer? Progressive Creation? Personal Confession? :?
neo-x
Ultimate Member

Post by neo-x »

Yes, this is what I meant by "mutations acting upon such genetic information and biology", although if I were more careful I'd reword this to something more like "mutations happening in genetic information." It's not so much that "mutations" act (like say Natural Selection acts), but more meant the genetic information is needed for mutations to occur. Otherwise I see nothing wrong with you you've written; but it does accentuate my point that this "critical mass" (which I'll try explain below) is needed in order for the main evolutionary mechanisms (NS acting upon mutations) to do their thing.
Ofcourse genetic code is needed for it to be garbled but it doesn't need to be predefined. Let's say I throw a handful of marbles on the ground and they land in a specific order, random one I didn't arrange them. And then a passing you, kicks one marble slightly off path, now the order is again random but a different random then the random before. That is what I think happens when the four chemicals AGCT of our dna shaped up and factors like radiation (you) kicked one or two pieces off the way. You are assuming that the information that mutates must be predefined and I am saying it doesn't need to. And I think that is why we disagree.

It could be a random arrangement out of millions which just happened to perform a cellular function among many that can't. That is how mutations work anyway, the idea that an eye formed via mutation where there was none before is ridiculous. Or wings just popped out. The eye formed in stages and, with no blueprint to form an eye, that is important to acknowledge. Mutations to the eye only gave way to whichever function worked best at the moment and if that survived it evolved further. That is why eyes have evolved separately in many species and are obviously different but took such long times.
I'd like to respond to this, and really, when we're talking psudeogenes, I find biologists start thinking themselves theologians. They raise theological arguments to do with God and God's design rather than focus on evolution. Trying to prove evolution through falsifying what they see as an outrageous competing position (aka certain creation positions). Falsification of another position, doesn't prove your own position (someone should tell that to Jerry Coyne :P).
You are right but that has no effect on the evidence itself, no matter what Jerry thinks.
There is an often made formal fallacy by many evolutionary scientists too, that is, affirming the consequent. Note, the following logic doesn't follow:
1) If P then Q
2) Q is true
3) Therefore P
It's easy to do, I'm sure I've done it, we all do it. So then, let me substitute in the argument from the egg-yolk gene found in humans that is apparently non-functional.
1) If 'we are descended from reptiles' then 'we should carry non-functional genes'.
2) We do carry non-functional genes (Vitellogenin "egg-yolk" genes)
3) Therefore, these egg-yolk making sequences we carry are left over from when our ancestors delinked from reptiles
Note, the conclusion doesn't follow from the argument presented. Yes, you do have a confirmed prediction, and one that might be quite troubling for those who believe God created life forms. It is good evidence, but it is not equivalent to proving that we are descended from reptiles.
That indeed is a poor argument and I am glad science doesn't do that. If you look up in detail you will see that the next step is to find CA's and see if they carry it and how far back does it go. Does it land us anywhere near a common ancestor? There will be a slew of creatures which should carry the traits or genes at important branchings in the TOL which they do.

The proper argument is:
1) If 'we are BRANCHED from reptiles' then 'we MAY carry non-functional genes' and our nearest and MRCAs MAY show that. And reptiles may carry non-functional genes too when they branched from amphibians and apmphibians may carry the same when they branched off from fish. And we must see if their MRCAs carry the gene in the same way. The beauty is that all life does the same. It isn't an isolated case at all.
2) We do carry non-functional genes and our MCRAs do to. The same way all the other species do to.
3) Therefore, non-functional genes we carried over gradual generations are left over from when our ancestors delinked from reptiles, because the more we go back the more functional they become.

That is not affirming the consequent, k. It is as close to evidence and the nature of it that you can get and I am sorry but I don't know how else to view it.

[img]https://evogeneao.s3.amazonaws.com/asse ... cestor.gif
[/img]
if the image doesn'y open properly please see this link:
https://www.evogeneao.com/learn/tree-of-life
Is it prove? I doubt there will ever be enough for anyone.
One thing I find troubling with evolutionary theory as scientists use it, is that if a sequence is not the case, then evolution can account for that too. Evolution is used to explain a wide range of observable features, that's great right? The downside is that it becomes less falsifiable, and in doing so, evidential arguments are less forceful. If it can explain A, and B, and C, then when we find 'C' it isn't compelling evidence for the theory.
But that is exactly what a good theory does, that it explains a lot of things. And no, contrary to what you say it is completely falsifiable but not with rational thinking alone because it isn't based on it. It's based on evidence. Find contrary evidence and it will crumble down.
Of course, things like the yolk sac, and egg-yolk gene, this particular apparently non-functional psuedogene, when I bring such information back to my theological beliefs, and beliefs on creation, I need to work through it in order for my beliefs to be consistent with reality. Any rationalist, which I consider myself as being, ought to and, that I believe I do best as I can.
Ofcourse, that I understand. I respect it because it's sincere, otherwise I think you are wrong in overlooking the details and how neatly they fit.
A "critical mass" of such genomic information is required. A critical mass of "life", and I'd say "life forms", is required before natural selection can work its magic. Otherwise, there can be no mutations. First, an accumulation of life is necessary, an accumulation of genetic information within populations (and by all accounts being qualified in Information Technology, I think I'm fit to see that such is clearly "information" on different levels), then once this is had speciation can take place via natural selection acting upon mutations
That is again where we disagree. what you call information is just a random arrangement of the DNA molecule which is helping it or killing it. I think the word information is loaded with the connotation of having been predefined which is why I don't think we should use it anymore than we should say God has a beard the connotation being that he made humans in his own image.

Back to the point, the arrangement of the AGCT is either simple or complex, it doesn't matter, it's rearrangment is producing results where some are helpful, others are not. And it isn't based on prebuilt designs nor information, nor it has a purpose to design. It is what helps it survive at the moment and increase is what has a greater chance to evolve further. Please refer back to the marbles example, and when it reshapes you get something different, maybe your kick broke a piece into two and now we have two odd shaped pieces forming a different shape than before. My point is there is no need for a critical mass, you don't need critical mass at all. It is an unnecessary assumption.
A finch remains a finch, the Italian lizard as it lizard, despite these adapative changes. It's like they have an elastic band on them, which allows them to travel inches and not miles.
Ofcourse they will remain a finch and a lizard. what else will they be. I really think you should look into detail how the TOL branches out. The actual scenario is that two finch species will eventually pan out to different species and lineages if there is pressure and corresponding mutations with it. If not, they will not evolve pass the normal variation.

Hugh is right on his remark on your elastic band. The same processes which rearrange DNA and similar are what leads to other genetic traits. But they build upon each other, just as the TOL explains. Wings don't pop out in a single generation. They happen when inches gradually turn into miles.

Just my thoughts, K.
It would be a blessing if they missed the cairns and got lost on the way back. Or if
the Thing on the ice got them tonight.

I could only turn and stare in horror at the chief surgeon.
Death by starvation is a terrible thing, Goodsir, continued Stanley.
And with that we went below to the flame-flickering Darkness of the lower deck
and to a cold almost the equal of the Dante-esque Ninth Circle Arctic Night
without.

//johnadavid.wordpress.com
hughfarey
Advanced Senior Member
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution

Post by hughfarey »

RickD wrote:Pigs can't fly, but given several millions of years, previously flightless reptiles can sprout wings and fly. Sounds like a hughfareytale to me.
Er... no... I was paraphrasing a bit...
Not exactly. We have good evidence that originally flightless lizards were the ancestors of birds, and yes, given several millions of years, anything really does seem to be possible.
hughfarey
Advanced Senior Member

Post by hughfarey »

crochet1949 wrote:Rain comes from the sky --is simply one form of moisture as is hail , fog, snow. And That comes from clouds. Part of the nature that God created. Remember -- before Noah's rain there hadn't been rain. Earth was watered from under the earth. Rain Can form rivers, but not necessarily. Drought Can dry up rivers and often Does. Egg and sperm unite and Can make baby. Egg by itself becomes Nothing. Sperm, by itself, doesn't produce anything , either. The chemical came from Somewhere. "In the beginning , God created the heavens and the earth". :esmile:
Mostly absolutely true. A beautifully poetically expressed description of the evolutionary framework of the universe.
hughfarey
Advanced Senior Member

Post by hughfarey »

"Finches will always be finches". This is a wholly unjustified guess. Any examination of the past billion years suggests that at no time in the past would such a prediction ever have been true, so why should it be true now? Finches may well carry on being finches for some time, maybe another ten million years or so, but to speculate further than that is unwarranted.