Flaws with Dispensational Theology

General discussions about Christianity including salvation, heaven and hell, Christian history and so on.
puritan lad
Esteemed Senior Member
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Undecided

Re: Flaws with Dispensational Theology

Post by puritan lad »

GMan.

First of all, why would you try to build any doctrinal stance upon an article written by Christ-rejecting cultists? See the other thread for one of their most basic flaws.

Second, the Great Tribulation is past history. The Apostles and First Century saints already went through it. (Matthew 24:21, 34)

Thirdly, it's ironic that one could make such a decision to not evangelize Jews (once we get a good definition of what that is exactly) based on the idea of them being "locked out", whereas us Calvinists, oft criticized for being unevangelical for their belief in unconditional election, see a need to do so.

God has commanded us to preach the gospel to all creatures. He alone will determine who the elect are. That gospel is the only way any will be saved, Jew or Gentile.
"To suppose that whatever God requireth of us that we have power of ourselves to do, is to make the cross and grace of Jesus Christ of none effect." - JOHN OWEN

//covenant-theology.blogspot.com
//christianskepticism.blogspot.com/
Gman
Old School
Creation Position: Day-Age

Post by Gman »

puritan lad wrote:GMan.

First of all, why would you try to build any doctrinal stance upon an article written by Christ-rejecting cultists? See the other thread for one of their most basic flaws.
Because it has become apparent that God is not done with the Jewish people yet..
puritan lad wrote:Second, the Great Tribulation is past history. The Apostles and First Century saints already went through it. (Matthew 24:21, 34)
That remains to be seen... We don't have all the information yet.
puritan lad wrote:Thirdly, it's ironic that one could make such a decision to not evangelize Jews (once we get a good definition of what that is exactly) based on the idea of them being "locked out", whereas us Calvinists, oft criticized for being unevangelical for their belief in unconditional election, see a need to do so.

God has commanded us to preach the gospel to all creatures. He alone will determine who the elect are. That gospel is the only way any will be saved, Jew or Gentile.
Yes, however it appears that they want to hear it from God (Christ) himself. Again, this is a hunch of mine.. Not written in stone.
The heart cannot rejoice in what the mind rejects as false - Galileo

We learn from history that we do not learn from history - Georg Friedrich Wilhelm Hegel

Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable, if anything is excellent or praiseworthy, think about such things. -Philippians 4:8
Gman
Old School

Post by Gman »

Byblos wrote:
That just about flies in the face of everything Christ did and said. No one comes to the father except through Christ, that's the message of the NT. If there are exceptions then that message is a lie. There are no 2 ways around it, sorry. This is not a matter of dogma or interpretation, it is a matter of fact.
Yes, but I think the question however is when..

We learn from history that we do not learn from history - Georg Friedrich Wilhelm Hegel

Finally, brothers, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable, if anything is excellent or praiseworthy, think about such things. -Philippians 4:8
jlay
Ultimate Member
Creation Position: Young-Earth Creationist

Post by jlay »

Forgive me J but I'm still missing what you're trying to argue (especially how this all relates to the 2 gospels). If God's dealing with Israel as a nation is different than God's dealing with Israel as individual Jews and if individual Jews are saved only through Christ then who is saved through this 2nd gospel meant for the Israel the nation (and how)? I think this is the question Zoe and I have been trying to get you to answer as yet.
The difference has to do with the dispensations. How God is dealing with man, which may invlove a particular period of time. A dispensation is a stewardship. http://www.biblecentre.org/topics/ccr_2 ... nalism.htm
How was God dealing with man in the past? In the garden? In Noah's time? Under Moses? Christ?
Are they different? Yes, of course. who established the differences? God.

The word gospel just means good news. John the Baptist and Jesus came preaching, 'Repent, for the Kingdom of Heaven is at hand." to whom? To Jews. The OT is full of the prophecies of the messiah who would restore Israel and bring in a new covenant. One that would impact the world. And Israel would become the city on the hill, the center of God's Kingdom on Earth by which this would happen. So what is and who is the Messiah? What did that mean to a 1st century Jew? Look at what Jesus taught. He taught about the Kingdom of God. And he taught about what it will be like in this Earthly Kingdom.
In fact His crucifixion was a complete mystery to even those closest to His eartly ministry. None of them got it while He was here. Not one. Martha replied to Jesus, “Yes, Lord,” she replied, “I believe that you are the Messiah, the Son of God, who is to come into the world.” Martha did not have the revelation of the crucifixion. But she believed that Jesus was the messiah.

So in brief, a dispensationalist believes that this Kingdom program has been put on hold. And that the mystery program has been put into effect. This doesn't revolve around Israel, land, a unique people, or an earthly throne. It is, 'the church, the body of Christ.' There aren't two gospels to be preached. Because that program is suspended until further notice.
-“The Bible treated allegorically becomes putty in the hands of the exegete.” John Walvoord

"I'm not saying scientists don't overstate their results. They do. And it's understandable, too...If you spend years working toward a certain goal and make no progress, of course you are going to spin your results in a positive light." Ivellious
puritan lad
Esteemed Senior Member

Post by puritan lad »

jlay wrote:The word gospel just means good news. John the Baptist and Jesus came preaching, 'Repent, for the Kingdom of Heaven is at hand." to whom? To Jews.
First, then to the Gentiles. Scripture available upon request. (Busy at work today)
jlay wrote:The OT is full of the prophecies of the messiah who would restore Israel and bring in a new covenant. One that would impact the world.
Fulfilled in the NT. Scripture available upon request.
jlay wrote:So what is and who is the Messiah? What did that mean to a 1st century Jew?
For the elect, it meant Christ, and they obtained it. For the reprobate, they were blinded. Scripture available upon request.
jlay wrote:Look at what Jesus taught. He taught about the Kingdom of God. And he taught about what it will be like in this Earthly Kingdom.
Where did Christ teach about an earthly kingdom?
"To suppose that whatever God requireth of us that we have power of ourselves to do, is to make the cross and grace of Jesus Christ of none effect." - JOHN OWEN

zoegirl
Old School
Sex: Female

Post by zoegirl »

Byblos wrote:
jlay wrote:What Byblos brings up is a good point. And it is actually a key point of correctly understanding dispensational theology.

That is why I brought up that we need to understand how God deals with a nation/people and how God deals with a person.
Israel's covenant was God dealing with a people. It was exclusive and dealt with a specific group. But, this program was to ultimately carry out God's plans on the earth for all nations. God's plan is to establish an earthly Kingdom in a land through His people. Obviously that is not going on today.

BTW, this thread wansn't about eschatology. It was about objections to dispensationalism. Those might involve eschatology. Best I can see is you guys have turned this into a 2nd Christian Zionism thread.

Indivuidual salvation has nothing to do with a piece of land. Israel's salvation does.
I think the Bible calls us the body of Christ – does it not?
Yes, absolutely. And that is a point of dispensational theology. That this is THE program in how God is dealing with humankind TODAY. The dispensation or stewardship for this time. The dispensation of grace. And this dispensation has nothing to do with land or a specific people. In this dispensation there is no jew or greek, slave or free. Now, as pointed out, in earlier discussions, some would argue that we are saying that grace is limited to this dispensation. No. Abraham's faith in God was 'credited' to him as righteousness even though he did not have full revelation. Noah, Abraham, etc. trusted what God set before them.
However, what about the gentiles? Well, Paul wrote, "Wherefore remember, that ye being in time past Gentiles in the flesh, who are called Uncircumcision by that which is called the Circumcision in the flesh made by hands; that at that time ye were without Christ, being aliens from the commonwealth of Israel, and strangers from the covenants of promise, having no hope, and without God in the world" Eph 2:11-12
Forgive me J but I'm still missing what you're trying to argue (especially how this all relates to the 2 gospels). If God's dealing with Israel as a nation is different than God's dealing with Israel as individual Jews and if individual Jews are saved only through Christ then who is saved through this 2nd gospel meant for Israel the nation (and how)? I think this is the question Zoe and I have been trying to get you to answer as yet.
BINGO!!
"And we take captive every thought to make it obedient to Jesus Christ"
puritan lad
Esteemed Senior Member

Post by puritan lad »

Gman wrote:
puritan lad wrote:GMan.

Because it has become apparent that God is not done with the Jewish people yet..
I'm not sure that really answers the question. Does a Christ rejecter have any claims upon God's covenant blessings? What exactly are the "Jewish People"? Are they a race, a religion, or a nation?

zoegirl
Old School

Post by zoegirl »

This is a bit tangential, not too off though.

We had a Bible teacher for many, many years at my school who is a Jewish Christian, a pastor at a local church. His chapels were some of my favorites!! Mainly because he brought the OT to life! He weaved into all of his chapels the history of the traditions/the feasts/the reasons for every Judaic practice and applied them to Christ. I also had a Sunday School teacher who did that.

Also, at one of the churches I attended they often had a guest pastor in, also a Jewish Christian and he would do the same thing.

It seems so clear from their teachings of the scripture that there is amazing unity between the OT and NT and they are inextricably tied together, that there is no separation between the gospel presented in the OT and the NT. They had absolutely no use for any of this idea of separate gospels. To them, understanding Christ and understanding the OT were crucial and I would say that they had an amazing appreciation for Christ's work on the cross with their background of Jewish practices. Sadly our teacher left to accept a senior pastoral position at Jewish congregation out in California. We miss his contributions terribly but he had an amazing heart towards reaching out to his brothers and sisters in the Jewish faith.

It was just interesting to me that they had no use for a separate teaching to their own.
Gman
Old School

Post by Gman »

Zoe... You mean a messianic Jew?

zoegirl
Old School

Post by zoegirl »

Don't think he would have described himself as such (I thought they had some iffy beliefs, but I could be wrong). He was simply a Jewish believer.
jlay
Ultimate Member
Creation Position: Young-Earth Creationist

Post by jlay »

If God's dealing with Israel as a nation is different than God's dealing with Israel as individual Jews and if individual Jews are saved only through Christ then who is saved through this 2nd gospel meant for Israel the nation (and how)? I think this is the question Zoe and I have been trying to get you to answer as yet.
I find it hard to believe that if you read the link I provided a long time back that this wasn't explained.
Otherwise, I'm not sure I fully understand this question.
If Israel had received its Messiah, through repentance and baptism, the Kingdom would be established on earth. And Israel would have the commission to reach the world/nations/gentiles. Preaching that the Messiah had come. Just like Martha said, "I believe that you are the Messiah, the Son of God, who is to come into the world.” Jesus said that whoever believed His message and the Father who sent Him would have eternal life. (John 5:24) Jesus, in His earthly ministry was not preaching crucifixion. He was preaching the Kingdom. His references to his death were 'hid' to the disciples and they clearly did not understand. Even long after Pentecost, Israel did not obey, did not repent, and therefore was cutoff, and the thus we have OUR apostle Paul, and the mystery that was revealed to him, hidden from the OT prophets, which is described in Eph 3.

In Galatians 2:6-9, Paul describes the conflict and matter of these two gospels, "But of these who seemed to be somewhat, (whatsoever they were, it maketh no matter to me: God accepteth no man's person:) for they who seemed to be somewhat in conference added nothing to me: But contrariwise, when they saw that the gospel of the uncircumcision was committed unto me, as the gospel of the circumcision was committed unto Peter; (For he that wrought effectually in Peter to the apostleship of the circumcision, the same was mighty in me toward the Gentiles:) And when James, Cephas (Peter), and John, who seemed to be pillars, perceived the grace that was given unto me, they gave to me and Barnabas the right hand of fellowship; that we should go to the heathen, and they to the circumcision."
Gal 2:1-2, Paul writes, "Then fourteen years after I went up again to Jerusalem with Barnabas, and took Titus (who was a Gentile) with me also. And I went up by revelation and communicated unto them that gospel which I preach among the Gentiles, but privately to them which were of reputation, lest by any means I should run, or had run, in vain.
Now, why would Paul need to communicate to them the gospel He preached if it were the same?

For the elect, it meant Christ, and they obtained it. For the reprobate, they were blinded. Scripture available upon request.
Christ and Messiah are interchangable words. This isnt what I was asking.
Where did Christ teach about an earthly kingdom?
Christ taught the fulfillment of the Law and Prophets.
Isaiah 2:1-3
This is what Isaiah son of Amoz saw concerning Judah and Jerusalem: In the last days the mountain of the LORD's temple will be established as chief among the mountains; it will be raised above the hills, and all nations will stream to it. Many peoples will come and say, "Come, let us go up to the mountain of the LORD, to the house of the God of Jacob. He will teach us his ways, so that we may walk in his paths." The law will go out from Zion, the word of the LORD from Jerusalem. (NIV)

Isaiah 9:6-7
For to us a child is born, to us a son is given, and the government will be on his shoulders. And he will be called Wonderful Counselor, Mighty God, Everlasting Father, Prince of Peace. Of the increase of his government and peace there will be no end. He will reign on David's throne and over his kingdom, establishing and upholding it with justice and righteousness from that time on and forever. The zeal of the LORD Almighty will accomplish this. (NIV)
Fulfilled in the NT.
Uhh, Israel was cut off. Scripture avaialable upon request. I guess somebody forgot to tell Jesus.
In Acts 1:6, the disciples asked Jesus Christ, "... Lord, wilt thou at this time restore again the kingdom to Israel?" To "restore" means to bring about something that existed previously. This is further emphasized by the word "again". Obviously they were expecting Jesus Christ to bring about an earthly kingdom, similar to that of Solomon and David, only greater. But note that Jesus Christ did not correct them and say, "No, you guys have it all wrong. It's only going to be a spiritual kingdom." Christ said, "It is not for you to know the times or the seasons ..." (Acts 1:7).
-“The Bible treated allegorically becomes putty in the hands of the exegete.” John Walvoord

"I'm not saying scientists don't overstate their results. They do. And it's understandable, too...If you spend years working toward a certain goal and make no progress, of course you are going to spin your results in a positive light." Ivellious
Byblos
Old School

Post by Byblos »

jlay wrote:
Forgive me J but I'm still missing what you're trying to argue (especially how this all relates to the 2 gospels). If God's dealing with Israel as a nation is different than God's dealing with Israel as individual Jews and if individual Jews are saved only through Christ then who is saved through this 2nd gospel meant for the Israel the nation (and how)? I think this is the question Zoe and I have been trying to get you to answer as yet.
The difference has to do with the dispensations. How God is dealing with man, which may invlove a particular period of time. A dispensation is a stewardship. http://www.biblecentre.org/topics/ccr_2 ... nalism.htm
How was God dealing with man in the past? In the garden? In Noah's time? Under Moses? Christ?
Are they different? Yes, of course. who established the differences? God.

The word gospel just means good news. John the Baptist and Jesus came preaching, 'Repent, for the Kingdom of Heaven is at hand." to whom? To Jews. The OT is full of the prophecies of the messiah who would restore Israel and bring in a new covenant. One that would impact the world. And Israel would become the city on the hill, the center of God's Kingdom on Earth by which this would happen. So what is and who is the Messiah? What did that mean to a 1st century Jew? Look at what Jesus taught. He taught about the Kingdom of God. And he taught about what it will be like in this Earthly Kingdom.
In fact His crucifixion was a complete mystery to even those closest to His eartly ministry. None of them got it while He was here. Not one. Martha replied to Jesus, “Yes, Lord,” she replied, “I believe that you are the Messiah, the Son of God, who is to come into the world.” Martha did not have the revelation of the crucifixion. But she believed that Jesus was the messiah.

So in brief, a dispensationalist believes that this Kingdom program has been put on hold. And that the mystery program has been put into effect. This doesn't revolve around Israel, land, a unique people, or an earthly throne. It is, 'the church, the body of Christ.' There aren't two gospels to be preached. Because that program is suspended until further notice.
Let me ask you a different question then, what role if any do you see this 2nd suspended gospel playing in individual salvation (Jew or otherwise)?
Let us proclaim the mystery of our faith: Christ has died, Christ is risen, Christ will come again.

Lord I am not worthy that you should enter under my roof, but only say the word and my soul shall be healed.
B. W.
Ultimate Member

Post by B. W. »

There is too much confusion going on here. Let’s review… How will God save the Future Israel is really simple.

It is only made difficult by Dispensationalism and Preteriat thought; therefore look and see for yourselves what the bible is saying again – set aside your preconceived notions of preterism and dispensationalism for a brief moment, if that is not too hard to ask.

Zec 12:8,9, 10c, "In that day the LORD will defend the inhabitants of Jerusalem; the one who is feeble among them in that day shall be like David, and the house of David shall be like God, like the Angel of the LORD before them. 9 It shall be in that day that I will seek to destroy all the nations that come against Jerusalem. 10 "And I will pour on the house of David and on the inhabitants of Jerusalem the Spirit of grace and supplication; then they will look on Me whom they pierced. Yes, they will mourn for Him as one mourns for his only son, and grieve for Him as one grieves for a firstborn."

For Preterist - verse 8 - did this happen 70 AD or 135 AD . The Jews were really cast out of the Land around 135 AD? Answer NO - This event has not happened yet. Has verse 9 happened yet? According to one line of preterist thought this already happened but it did not happen in 70 AD or 135 AD did it – did God defend the specific inhabitants of Jerusalem and wipe out the wicked?

Verse 10 - what does God say? And I will pour on the house of David and on the inhabitants of Jerusalem the Spirit of grace and supplication; then they will look on Me whom they pierced.

Now read John 19 to find out to whom this verse refers:

John 19:34, 35, 36, 37c, "But one of the soldiers pierced His side with a spear, and immediately blood and water came out. 35 And he who has seen has testified, and his testimony is true; and he knows that he is telling the truth, so that you may believe. 36 For these things were done that the Scripture should be fulfilled, "NOT ONE OF HIS BONES SHALL BE BROKEN." 37 And again another Scripture says, "THEY SHALL LOOK ON HIM WHOM THEY PIERCED."

The Jewish people, in a particular city, God will defend, will one day look upon whom? Jesus - this has not happened yet.

When will it? Zephaniah clues us in...

Zep 3:8, 9, "Therefore wait for Me," says the LORD, "Until the day I rise up for plunder; My determination is to gather the nations To My assembly of kingdoms, To pour on them My indignation, All My fierce anger; All the earth shall be devoured With the fire of My jealousy. 9"For then I will restore to the peoples a pure language, That they all may call on the name of the LORD, To serve Him with one accord."

This event has not happened yet, Revelation's author speaks of this event. Preterist - when have all the nations been gathered to gathered and God's fierce anger-wrath been poured out yet? If not, then the events of 70 AD are not the worst of the worst are they?

When has the pure language be restored? This event is happens at the crescendo of a time known in the bible as the dividing times, half time, where and when people are cut in twain- divided into - who is God's and who is not of God’s. (What of one accord??? hmmm - later at the end of this discourse you'll see) This leads too...

Zec 13:8, 9c, "And it shall come to pass in all the land," Says the LORD, "That two-thirds in it shall be cut off and die, But one-third shall be left in it: 9 I will bring the one-third through the fire, Will refine them as silver is refined, And test them as gold is tested. They will call on My name, And I will answer them. I will say, 'This is My people'; And each one will say, 'The LORD is my God."

Describes time periods of great woe (lot of events occurring here too numerous to go into details) - then notice how, the Jewish people - Future era Jews become saved: They will call on My (Lord’s) name.

How do we all become born again? Look at Romans 10 to find out:

Romans 10:11, 12, 13, 14c, "For the Scripture says, "WHOEVER BELIEVES ON HIM WILL NOT BE PUT TO SHAME." 12 For there is no distinction between Jew and Greek, for the same Lord over all is rich to all who call upon Him. 13 For "WHOEVER CALLS ON THE NAME OF THE LORD SHALL BE SAVED." 14 How then shall they call on Him in whom they have not believed? 14 And how shall they believe in Him of whom they have not heard? And how shall they hear without a preacher?"

Answer, from the bible - the FtJ will call on the Lord because they came to believe, when they see, because the Lord himself and 2 witness's will be the ones proclaiming the gospel to them in a uniquely profound way just as the Lord said he would do in the bible. So, they become born again as anyone else would by calling on the name of the Lord, due to believing in Him, who is directly in contact with them at a future time. BINGO

Simple....

It is both the Preterist and Dispensationist mindset that screws things up and clouds over the simplicity that is in Christ. Denying the obivious and creating confusion as this thread attest too, correct? Sorry for the harshness - both sides remain blind.

Back to the bible and notice that this event has not happened yet:

Zep 3:10-11, "From beyond the rivers of Ethiopia My worshipers, The daughter of My dispersed ones, Shall bring My offering. 11 In that day you shall not be shamed for any of your deeds In which you transgress against Me; For then I will take away from your midst Those who rejoice in your pride, And you shall no longer be haughty In My holy mountain."

Reveals who Zep is writing about - Israel - is this the Church? If so, we are in big doo-doo for the church would be lying and unrighteous. No it is not the Church - it is the remnant of the Future Jewish people at a particular point in time. There is a lot here but details to numerous to go into details – the text stands on its own so let’s continue:

Zep 3:12-13 "I will leave in your midst A meek and humble people, and they shall trust in the name of the LORD. 13 The remnant of Israel shall do no unrighteousness and speak no lies, nor shall a deceitful tongue be found in their mouth; for they shall feed their flocks and lie down, And no one shall make them afraid."

These events have not happened yet and refer to a future Jewish people in their Land a time when they will see disaster no more and fear no more:

Zep 3:14-15, "Sing, O daughter of Zion! Shout, O Israel! Be glad and rejoice with all your heart, O daughter of Jerusalem! 15 The LORD has taken away your judgments, He has cast out your enemy. The King of Israel, the LORD, is in your midst; you shall see disaster no more."

Zep 3:16-17, "In that day it shall be said to Jerusalem: "Do not fear; Zion, let not your hands be weak. 17 The LORD your God in your midst, The Mighty One, will save; He will rejoice over you with gladness, He will quiet you with His love, He will rejoice over you with singing."

Notice - the Mighty One wil Save - wonder who that can be - oh - maybe the one who comes in the coulds - you think - Jesus?

Notice this next verse:

Zep 3:18-19, "I will gather those who sorrow over the appointed assembly, who are among you, to whom its reproach is a burden. 19 Behold, at that time I will deal with all who afflict you; I will save the lame, And gather those who were driven out; I will appoint them for praise and fame In every land where they were put to shame."

The Lord said - "I will gather those who sorrow over the appointed assembly, who are among you, to whom its reproach is a burden.” Notice He says an appointed assembly – Israel the FtJ – who are among you – The Christian Church world – to whom its reproach is a burden is being refered too. I heard that somewhere before in Isa 62:6, 10. So Gman there is one answer for you...

Look how Zep 3:18-19 relates too:

Mat 13:49, "So it will be at the end of the age. The angels will come forth, separate the wicked from among the just..."

Mat 24:30-31c, "Then the sign of the Son of Man will appear in heaven, and then all the tribes of the earth will mourn, and they will see the Son of Man coming on the clouds of heaven with power and great glory. 31 And He will send His angels with a great sound of a trumpet, and they will gather together His elect from the four winds, from one end of heaven to the other."

2 Th 1:7-10, "...and to give you who are troubled rest with us when the Lord Jesus is revealed from heaven with His mighty angels, 8 in flaming fire taking vengeance on those who do not know God, and on those who do not obey the gospel of our Lord Jesus Christ. 9 These shall be punished with everlasting destruction from the presence of the Lord and from the glory of His power, 10 when He comes, in that Day, to be glorified in His saints and to be admired among all those who believe, because our testimony among you was believed."

Rev 12:17, "...And the dragon was enraged with the woman, and he went to make war with the rest of her offspring, who keep the commandments of God and have the testimony of Jesus Christ."

Now read from the JPS, YLT and NASB the last verse of Zep 3 from three bible versions.

Zep 3:20, "At that time will I bring you in, and at that time will I gather you; for I will make you to be a name and a praise among all the peoples of the earth, when I turn your captivity before your eyes, saith the LORD." JPS

Zep 3:20, "At that time I bring you in, Even at the time of My assembling you, For I give you for a name, and for a praise, Among all peoples of the land, In My turning back to your captivity before your eyes, said Jehovah!" YLT

Zep 3:20, "At that time I will bring you in, Even at the time when I gather you together; Indeed, I will give you renown and praise among all the peoples of the earth, When I restore your fortunes before your eyes," Says the LORD." NASB

The Lord brings the FtJ in – where? Next, Where are they gathered? When are they finally released from their banishment and fortune restored that the Lord promised Israel? No longer attacked by enemies, etc and etc…

WHEN?

When The Lord Himself Brings them personally into the fold of Christ (see him in the clouds) and then made – one with Him – thus finally are now joined together as one new man (People) from all tribes kindred and tongues, nations is finally completed! Can you see this? We have not reached this stage of prophecy fulfillment, yet, as some are still left out of the fold...

--"'when I turn your captivity before your eyes, saith the LORD'" -- 'refers the Lord "releasing His people from banishment as in Deut 30:3 -Jer 33:7 - Hos 6:11) and interestingly, when Job's fortunes were restored, he was said to have been freed from captivity (Job 42:10)' paraphrased frm AMG Word Studies).

This event has not happened yet.

All bible quotes not othewise cited are from the NKJV
-
-
-
Science is man's invention - creation is God's
(by B. W. Melvin)

Old Polish Proverb:
Not my Circus....not my monkeys
Gman
Old School

Post by Gman »

Bryan... I think that sums it up very well.. But where I'm confused is the messianic Jews and the non-messianic Jews. Identifying the remnant in Romans 11:5-6. As we to propose that they are messianic Jews or non-messianic Jews?

In other words, what is the role of Christ church? To evangelize the non-Jews to messianic Jews?

puritan lad
Esteemed Senior Member

Post by puritan lad »

jlay wrote:Christ and Messiah are interchangable words. This isnt what I was asking.
You asked what did it mean to the Jews, right? What exactly were you asking.

jlay wrote:Christ taught the fulfillment of the Law and Prophets.
Isaiah 2:1-3
This is what Isaiah son of Amoz saw concerning Judah and Jerusalem: In the last days the mountain of the LORD's temple will be established as chief among the mountains; it will be raised above the hills, and all nations will stream to it. Many peoples will come and say, "Come, let us go up to the mountain of the LORD, to the house of the God of Jacob. He will teach us his ways, so that we may walk in his paths." The law will go out from Zion, the word of the LORD from Jerusalem. (NIV)
You are begging the question. Christ has fulfilled the law and the prophets at His First Advent. Christ taught that he came to earth for this purpose. Nothing about waiting for his Second Advent. The mountian of Isaiah 2 has been has been established, and his people are continuing to flow to it ever since.

"But you have come to Mount Zion and to the city of the living God, the heavenly Jerusalem, and to innumerable angels in festal gathering," (Hebrews 12:22)

Isaiah 9:6 speaks of the First Advent of Christ, as he now has ascended to the throne of David. The Bible knows nothing of an earthly millennium.
jlay wrote:Uhh, Israel was cut off. Scripture avaialable upon request. I guess somebody forgot to tell Jesus.
In Acts 1:6, the disciples asked Jesus Christ, "... Lord, wilt thou at this time restore again the kingdom to Israel?" To "restore" means to bring about something that existed previously. This is further emphasized by the word "again". Obviously they were expecting Jesus Christ to bring about an earthly kingdom, similar to that of Solomon and David, only greater. But note that Jesus Christ did not correct them and say, "No, you guys have it all wrong. It's only going to be a spiritual kingdom." Christ said, "It is not for you to know the times or the seasons ..." (Acts 1:7).
So, I ask again, where did Jesus teach an earthly kingdom?