Problem of evil

General discussions about Christianity including salvation, heaven and hell, Christian history and so on.
PaulSacramento
Board Moderator
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution

Re: Problem of evil

Post by PaulSacramento »

MAGSolo wrote:
PaulSacramento wrote:
Let me ask you a very specific question. I posted earlier about the baby that was cooked to death in the oven by his mother. What good do you think came of that?
Here http://www.wral.com/more-charges-filed- ... /12101787/
A five year old girl is sold by her mother to a guy that uses her for his sexual fulfillment and then kills her. five years old and she was sold by her mother, raped, and killed. Tell me what good you think came out of that?
Those are very hard questions to answer and, of course, you know that and that is why you picked such horrific examples.
And rightly so because, like you, I am very aware of the world we live in, perhaps more so.
If I were to tell you of the atrocities I saw in my time in Bosnia, well...
You answer would have been to Kill those people before they did that.
There are no guarantees that God coming to them would make them stop it, and the only 100% sure way to stop anyone from committing a crime is to kill them before they do it, any other way leaves open the possibility of it happening, no matter how small.
So, I myself have asked God WHY, oh WHY does He permit such things to happen, why does he NOT interfere ( because that is exactly what He would be doing, interfering in the order of things).
He used to, I mean the flood, the Egyptians, He killed people all the time right?
Of course those are the things He gets accused of being a genocidal murder for, so...
But WHY listen to us? why listen to our accusations of Him? Why not ignore Us and rule over us with His "iron will" and kill those that are to commit such things? heck, why not keep them from being born?
Look at the case of the mother that cooked her baby, God could have prevented the birth of the baby, heck God could have prevented the birth of the mother, right?
Or God could have prevented whatever happened in that poor ladies life that drove her to thinking that cooking her child was an option in her horrific life?
God could have prevented all that right?
In fact, to spare Us all of the horrific world we live in, God could have just prevented the existence of Man.
But why stop there?
Animals suffer too, then God could have prevented ALL that by simply preventing LIFE from happening.
So simple really.
And yet...
He choose to create, to instill in Us the understanding of Good and evil so that WE can take responsibility for OUR actions.
You see, that woman that killed the baby or sold her daughter, she wasn't alone in what she did, WE are all responsible for that.
WE who created this world in OUR image, WE who made society in OUR image, WE who permit that killing is a viable option, WE that permit that people have a replaceable value, that some people are more valuabel thna others because of where they are born or how much money they have.
WE are the problem, why?
Because WE want God to fix what WE broke BUT under OUR conditions.
Or we don't believe in God under the conditions that He is now what WE think He Should be.
If God has perfect knowledge of the past, present, and future, then he knew that satan would rebel, knew he would tempt adam and eve and that disobey him, he knew the consequences and yet he still made the conscious choice to create Satan. I dont see how the terrible world we live in is anybodies fault except for Gods. God new satan would be the master of evil and yet chose to create him anyway, therefore God created evil.
Oivey *facepalm*
RickD
Make me a Sammich Member
Creation Position: Day-Age

Post by RickD »

MAGSolo wrote:
There are certainly far more atheists and agnostics today then there were even just 30 or 40 years ago.
Let's see...in 2013, the world population is over 7 billion. 40 years ago, in 1973, the world population was under 4 billion.

So let's do the math...3 billion more people means there are more atheists and agnostics today.

Mag, that's just brilliant! Your arguments are simply astounding! :pound:

I'm gonna go out on a limb and say there are more believers today, than there were in 1973.

I'm a genius! 8)
John 5:24
24 “Truly, truly, I say to you, he who hears My word, and believes Him who sent Me, has eternal life, and does not come into judgment, but has passed out of death into life.

“A nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves.”
-Edward R Murrow

St. Richard the Sarcastic--The Patron Saint of Irony
MAGSolo
Valued Member
Christian: No

Post by MAGSolo »

If God knew that satan would be the master of evil before he created him and created him anyway, then how is God not responsible for evil?
PaulSacramento
Board Moderator

Post by PaulSacramento »

MAGSolo wrote:If God knew that satan would be the master of evil before he created him and created him anyway, then how is God not responsible for evil?
According to some biblical views/interpretations, God created evil as well as good.
Sam1995
Valued Member
Creation Position: Day-Age

Post by Sam1995 »

MAGSolo wrote:If God knew that satan would be the master of evil before he created him and created him anyway, then how is God not responsible for evil?
I know where you're going to go with this. You're going to say that if God is at all responsible for evil then He is not omnibenevolent or omnipotent because either He does not stop evil or He shouldn't have created evil in the first place. If this is the case, then I shall be conducting this motion when you reply: y#-o :clap: 8-}2 8-}2 8-}2 :amen:
"There are far, far better things ahead than any we leave behind." - C.S Lewis
PaulSacramento
Board Moderator

Post by PaulSacramento »

I guess the issue becomes, can any possible good come from the existence of evil?
Or on a philosophical side, can one KNOW good without knowing evil?
1over137
Technical Admin
Sex: Female
Creation Position: Undecided

Post by 1over137 »

1over137 wrote:
Then I suggest you read it again and realizing how hard times were 2000 years ago. How cruel people were and so.

You ask why should guiding peole toward Jesus stop after having bible with gospels? Jesus said what he said. He taught people and his words are written down. What else you want? Speaking directly to Jesus and listening the same stuff from him?

Christians nowadays guide people towards Jesus too. They point to Bible. What else should they do?

Bible is great also nowadays. Just go through all the wisdoms there.
Magsolo, I would appreciate some answers to my questions.
But examine everything carefully; hold fast to that which is good.
-- 1 Thessalonians 5:21

For I am confident of this very thing, that He who began a good work in you will perfect it until the day of Christ Jesus.
-- Philippians 1:6

#foreverinmyheart
neo-x
Ultimate Member

Post by neo-x »

Mag is a troll.
It would be a blessing if they missed the cairns and got lost on the way back. Or if
the Thing on the ice got them tonight.

I could only turn and stare in horror at the chief surgeon.
Death by starvation is a terrible thing, Goodsir, continued Stanley.
And with that we went below to the flame-flickering Darkness of the lower deck
and to a cold almost the equal of the Dante-esque Ninth Circle Arctic Night
without.

//johnadavid.wordpress.com
jlay
Ultimate Member
Creation Position: Young-Earth Creationist

Post by jlay »

MAGSolo wrote:Nope, people are not as superstitious as they have ever been. Atheism/agnosticism is growing rapidly in developed, civilized, educated societies. In this country and places like Europe, church attendance is down and decreasing on an annual basis and belief in God and the supernatural in general is dissipating as people become more and more educated. There are certainly far more atheists and agnostics today then there were even just 30 or 40 years ago. Almost all muslim societies are mostly poor and underdeveloped. In most muslim nations the majority of people live in poverty and they are nowhere near as educated as people in developed countries. Look at any index that ranks countries by education, wealth, health, life expectancy and so forth, and you will see that no muslim country ranks particularly high.
Mag,

Sorry but you are just flat wrong. People are superstitious. Even a good number of agnostics and atheist believe in aliens, ghosts, and spiritual realms.
Further, your claims are prejudicial and question begging. You are saying that because church attendance in down that superstition is down. Thus begging the question that people who go to church are just superstitious. You are a troll, please leave.
-“The Bible treated allegorically becomes putty in the hands of the exegete.” John Walvoord

"I'm not saying scientists don't overstate their results. They do. And it's understandable, too...If you spend years working toward a certain goal and make no progress, of course you are going to spin your results in a positive light." Ivellious
PaulSacramento
Board Moderator

Post by PaulSacramento »

su·per·sti·tion
[soo-per-stish-uhn] Show IPA
noun
a belief or notion, not based on reason or knowledge, in or of the ominous significance of a particular thing, circumstance, occurrence, proceeding, or the like.
a system or collection of such beliefs.
a custom or act based on such a belief.
irrational fear of what is unknown or mysterious, especially in connection with religion.
any blindly accepted belief or notion.
Danieltwotwenty
Ultimate Member

Post by Danieltwotwenty »

PaulSacramento wrote:su·per·sti·tion
noun
a belief or notion, not based on reason or knowledge, in or of the ominous significance of a particular thing, circumstance, occurrence, proceeding, or the like.
irrational fear of what is unknown or mysterious, especially in connection with religion.

By that definition we most definitely are not superstitious, we are grounded in logic and reason.

Dan
1Tim1:15-17
Here is a trustworthy saying that deserves full acceptance: Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners of whom I am the worst. But for that very reason I was shown mercy so that in me, the worst of sinners, Christ Jesus might display his immense patience as an example for those who would believe in him and receive eternal life. Now to the King eternal, immortal, invisible, the only God, be honor and glory for ever and ever.Amen.
PaulSacramento
Board Moderator

Post by PaulSacramento »

Danieltwotwenty wrote:
PaulSacramento wrote:su·per·sti·tion
noun

By that definition we most definitely are not superstitious, we are grounded in logic and reason.

Dan
Indeed :)
Kurieuo
Honored Member
Creation Position: Progressive Creationist

Post by Kurieuo »

Oh, the irony of the term "superstitious" being used in sentence by Magsolo given those definitions.
"Whoever will call on the name of the Lord will be saved." (Romans 10:13)
Danieltwotwenty
Ultimate Member

Post by Danieltwotwenty »

Kurieuo wrote:Oh, the irony of the term "superstitious" being used in sentence by Magsolo given those definitions.
:pound: I see it now, very clever and insightful.
1Tim1:15-17
Here is a trustworthy saying that deserves full acceptance: Christ Jesus came into the world to save sinners of whom I am the worst. But for that very reason I was shown mercy so that in me, the worst of sinners, Christ Jesus might display his immense patience as an example for those who would believe in him and receive eternal life. Now to the King eternal, immortal, invisible, the only God, be honor and glory for ever and ever.Amen.
MAGSolo
Valued Member
Christian: No

Post by MAGSolo »

http://news.yahoo.com/woman-killed-chil ... 08186.html
I wonder what good will come out of this?