Objective Morality

Are you a sincere seeker who has questions about Christianity, or a Christian with doubts about your faith? Post them here to receive a thoughtful response.
Kenny
Ultimate Member
Christian: No
Sex: Male
Creation Position: I don't believe in creation

Re: Objective Morality

Post by Kenny »

1over137 wrote:Suppose humans do not exist. Suppose there is one planet where animals are killing each other. Suppose there is another planet where animals are not killing each other. Is something good, is something wrong?
Actually there is a planet where animals are killing each other; Earth. I don't consider predator animals as evil because I don't see what other choice they have in order to eat and live.

Ken
RickD wrote
"What can be asserted without evidence can be dismissed without evidence".
jlay
Ultimate Member
Christian: Yes
Creation Position: Young-Earth Creationist

Post by jlay »

Kenny wrote: No; it doesn't make sense to YOU, but we aren't talking about what make sense to you; we are talking about what make sense to ME! again..... why is it so difficult for you to understand that I could ground my morality in what makes sense to me?
Kenny, I seriously doubt you are advocating that a self-defeating view "makes sense."

Fair enough! But for someone who doesn’t believe in the existence of your supreme, transcendent, moral being; your view has no more value than mine; right?
Kenny, everyone has an opinion. What we are talking about is whether one's worldview is grounded. When you use the term 'value' in regards to a moral position, you appear to again smuggle in OM.
Do you know the difference between “morality” and a simple claim about morality?
Of course, do you? Because I've already shown where you smuggle in OM where it suits you. Like so many, you casually dismiss OM, and then seem to think that you yourself are a 'moral' person. Without realizing it, you benefit from the Christian ethic and how it promotes the notion of human value, justice, mercy, etc.

No, but I eventually learned it. According to you not everybody understands objective morality and are left having to interpret it. If it were objective it would be obvious.
All reasonable people grasp the basics of OM. Please show me a society that thinks being stolen from is a good thing. Or one where injustice is considered good. This has already been asked and answered.
No, it assumes if morality were objective, it would be agreed upon by reasonable people. The fact that it isn’t should tell you something
It tells me that you are not a reasonable person.
Did you not define objective morality as a morality that transcends the opinion of humans? What else could you possibly be talking about if you aren’t talking about a God?
Ken, it's not my fault that the basic and obvious conclusion of OM is that is points to a transcendent moral law giver.
On one hand you complain that something should be basic and agreed upon by reasonable people. Yet, God being the reasonable conclusion of OM seems to trouble you. I wonder why?

So you tellin me if intelligent life didn’t exist; good and evil would still exist? Okay then I will ask you the same question I asked someone else; there is no intelligent life on the moon. Does evil exist on the moon?
I approach this from a Thomistic view for the most part. Evil is not a thing, but is a privation. Therefore, your question doesn't really hold. In other words, I'm not going to adopt your presuppositions to defend my own position. Especially since I view your presuppositions as incorrect.
-“The Bible treated allegorically becomes putty in the hands of the exegete.” John Walvoord

"I'm not saying scientists don't overstate their results. They do. And it's understandable, too...If you spend years working toward a certain goal and make no progress, of course you are going to spin your results in a positive light." Ivellious
PaulSacramento
Board Moderator
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution

Post by PaulSacramento »

Kenny wrote:Paulsacramento
You are confusing the ACT with WHO is doing the act, that is why you are confusing OBJECTIVE MORALITY ( There is such a thing as Good and Evil) With Subjective Morality ( What is Good and Evil).
Ken
No, I couldn’t care less who is doing the act; I’m saying without somebody doing the act; there is no act. Without an act there is no moral issue.

Paulsacramento
Infanticide was an example. You seem to be implying that for morals to exist, human life must exist, is that what you are saying?
Ken
Pretty much! I believe my exact words were “Good and Evil only exist in the context of intelligent beings. If intelligent beings didn’t exist; neither would Good and evil.

Paulsacramento
If good and evil did not exist, there would be NO subjective view of them.

Ken
Human actions is what exists. Good and evil are only a couple of the pelethora of lables we attach to human actions That's why (as I mentioned before) there is no evil on the moon; because there is no human action on the moon. Good and evil only exists in the context of human action.

Ken
Ken, you may not see it , but you are constructing an argument that doesn't have any validity because it is based on philosophical point that simply does NOT exist.
Sure, if no life human life existed there would be no humans to have morals.
In that regards, IN RELATION to human and your argument, there is no objective OR subject ANYTHING.

You argument is baseless because it comes from non-existence and if you can't see why that makes the argument void, then we aren't really have a discussion.
Kenny
Ultimate Member

Post by Kenny »

Paulsacramento

I think you are reading a little too far into this my friend! The only point I am trying to make is without intelligent life, there is no objective morality. That’s it! And it appears you agree with me.

Ken
RickD wrote
Kenny
Ultimate Member

Post by Kenny »

Jlay
Kenny, I seriously doubt you are advocating that a self-defeating view "makes sense."
Ken
You aren’t going to answer my question; are you!

Jlay
Kenny, everyone has an opinion. What we are talking about is whether one's worldview is grounded. When you use the term 'value' in regards to a moral position, you appear to again smuggle in OM.
Ken
It only appears that way to you because you have a tendency to see Objective morality in places it doesn’t exist.

Jlay
Like so many, you casually dismiss OM, and then seem to think that you yourself are a 'moral' person. Without realizing it, you benefit from the Christian ethic and how it promotes the notion of human value, justice, mercy, etc.

Ken
In order for an ethic to be considered “Christian” it could not have existed prior to Christianity. Human value, Justice, Mercy, etc existed long before your Christ, or your Christianity.

Jlay
All reasonable people grasp the basics of OM. Please show me a society that thinks being stolen from is a good thing. Or one where injustice is considered good..
Ken
Sure! As soon as you show me a society where everybody agrees on moral issues and nothing is up for debate.

Jlay
Ken, it's not my fault that the basic and obvious conclusion of OM is that is points to a transcendent moral law giver.
Ken
I am not troubled, and there is no fault! I am simply making the point that what you call “objective morality” is for those who believe in God! I believe in neither.

Jlay
I approach this from a Thomistic view for the most part. Evil is not a thing, but is a privation. Therefore, your question doesn't really hold. In other words, I'm not going to adopt your presuppositions to defend my own position. Especially since I view your presuppositions as incorrect.
Ken
In other words; you aren’t going to answer my question. That’s okay; I’m sorta getting used to it.

Ken
RickD wrote
PaulSacramento
Board Moderator

Post by PaulSacramento »

I think you are reading a little too far into this my friend! The only point I am trying to make is without intelligent life, there is no objective morality. That’s it! And it appears you agree with me.

Ken
Yes of course you are right in that regard, I mean, without intelligent life there is no math either.
BUT 1+1 would still be 2 and right and wrong would still exist and that is what I don't think you are grasping.
jlay
Ultimate Member

Post by jlay »

You aren’t going to answer my question; are you!
Please Ken, spare us this nonsense.
It only appears that way to you because you have a tendency to see Objective morality in places it doesn’t exist.
It doesn't appear that way. I've given you specific examples from your own comments. You're not doing well here Kenny.

In order for an ethic to be considered “Christian” it could not have existed prior to Christianity. Human value, Justice, Mercy, etc existed long before your Christ, or your Christianity.
Great point. They have existed longer. In fact, i'd say you just again appealed to OM. Bravo!
But that wasn't the point. You have grown up in a culture that has been widely influenced and shaped by Christian ethics. You, like so many, take this for granted. You cry, "subjective morality!" but do so in the luxury of a culture that espouses those values. I just wonder if you'd be spouting the same if you were in some remote part of Eastern Europe or China. Doubtful.
Sure! As soon as you show me a society where everybody agrees on moral issues and nothing is up for debate.
Surprise, surprise, Kenny just moved the goal post. Another text book logical fallacy.
I am not troubled, and there is no fault! I am simply making the point that what you call “objective morality” is for those who believe in God! I believe in neither.
As I've already stated, I dare you to live that way. You don't. If you don't believe in either fine, but quick trespassing on those worldviews to support your own ethics.

Ken
In other words; you aren’t going to answer my question. That’s okay; I’m sorta getting used to it
Yes, Kenny, that's it. Your question was so profound it brought 2,500 years of philosophy and natural theology crumbling.
-“The Bible treated allegorically becomes putty in the hands of the exegete.” John Walvoord

"I'm not saying scientists don't overstate their results. They do. And it's understandable, too...If you spend years working toward a certain goal and make no progress, of course you are going to spin your results in a positive light." Ivellious
Kenny
Ultimate Member

Post by Kenny »

PaulSacramento wrote:

Ken
Yes of course you are right in that regard, I mean, without intelligent life there is no math either.
BUT 1+1 would still be 2 and right and wrong would still exist and that is what I don't think you are grasping.
The equation 1+1=2 is made up of reprehensive tokens. It is those tokens that represent reality. With right and wrong, if there were no intelligent life to cause actions; right and wrong would be no more than a hypothetical

Ken
RickD wrote
jlay
Ultimate Member

Post by jlay »

Kenny wrote:
PaulSacramento wrote:

Ken
The equation 1+1=2 is made up of reprehensive tokens. It is those tokens that represent reality. With right and wrong, if there were no intelligent life to cause actions; right and wrong would be no more than a hypothetical

Ken
I think a better question is this, if humans ceased to exist, would the holocaust still be evil?

The fact is, there are intelligent beings. And let us not forget, God is an intelligent being. So, for a theist to hypothesize existence without God is a logical absurdity.

Kenny
Ultimate Member

Post by Kenny »

Jlay
Please Ken, spare us this nonsense.
Ken
Nonsense? The reality is you believe human morality must be grounded in something greater than humans like the God you believe in. I say human morality is grounded in human thought because there is nothing greater than human thought; and the idea that morality must be grounded in something greater than human thought makes about as much sense to me as the idea that God’s morality must be grounded in something greater than God would make to you.

Jlay
As I've already stated, I dare you to live that way. You don't. If you don't believe in either fine, but quick trespassing on those worldviews to support your own ethics.
Ken
I have always lived that way. I say it is you who are trespassing on secular views and attempting to call them your theistic worldviews.

Jlay
Yes, Kenny, that's it. Your question was so profound it brought 2,500 years of philosophy and natural theology crumbling.
Ken
I appreciate the gesture; but modesty prevents me from taking credit for all of that! The only philosophy and natural theology I sent crumbling is that arguemnt you've been stumbling over.

Ken
RickD wrote
Kenny
Ultimate Member

Post by Kenny »

jlay wrote:
Kenny wrote:
PaulSacramento wrote:

Ken

Ken
I think a better question is this, if humans ceased to exist, would the holocaust still be evil?
The holocaust WAS evil. (past tense)

Ken
RickD wrote
PaulSacramento
Board Moderator

Post by PaulSacramento »

Kenny wrote:
PaulSacramento wrote:

Ken

Ken
So, 2 +2 = 5 would be right?
Kenny
Ultimate Member

Post by Kenny »

PaulSacramento wrote:
Kenny wrote:
PaulSacramento wrote:

Ken

Ken
So, 2 +2 = 5 would be right?
You're kidding; right?

Ken
RickD wrote
jlay
Ultimate Member

Post by jlay »

Kenny,

Best of luck to you.

Kenny
Ultimate Member

Post by Kenny »

jlay wrote:Kenny,

Best of luck to you.
Thank-you

K
RickD wrote