Shroud of Turin

Discussion about scientific issues as they relate to God and Christianity including archaeology, origins of life, the universe, intelligent design, evolution, etc.
Jac3510
Ultimate Member
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Young-Earth Creationist

Re: Shroud of Turin

Post by Jac3510 »

RickD wrote:Jac,

Let's see, Aquinas, the shroud...if you didn't tell me otherwise, I'd swear you were catholic. :mrgreen:
And don't forget an appreciation for a theology of fittingess over a theology of necessity, a commitment to natural law, and therefore a general aversion to contraception . . .

Now, if they would just adopt a forensic view of justification and let go of their amillennialial replacement theology, papal primacy, the infallibility of the magisterium, and baptismal regeneration then maybe I could get on board! :lol:
Proinsias wrote:I don't think you are hearing me. Preference for ice cream is a moral issue
And that, brothers and sisters, is the kind of foolishness you get people who insist on denying biblical theism. A good illustration of any as the length people will go to avoid acknowledging basic truths.
Kurieuo
Honored Member
Creation Position: Progressive Creationist

Post by Kurieuo »

Jac3510 wrote:

Let's see, Aquinas, the shroud...if you didn't tell me otherwise, I'd swear you were catholic. :mrgreen:
And don't forget an appreciation for a theology of fittingess over a theology of necessity, a commitment to natural law, and therefore a general aversion to contraception . . .

Now, if they would just adopt a forensic view of justification and let go of their amillennialial replacement theology, papal primacy, the infallibility of the magisterium, and baptismal regeneration then maybe I could get on board! :lol:
Pfft. What's wrong with amill?
Better than the millennial reign rapture ready mumbo jumbo.
:troll:
"Whoever will call on the name of the Lord will be saved." (Romans 10:13)
PaulSacramento
Board Moderator
Creation Position: Theistic Evolution

Post by PaulSacramento »

Furstentum Liechtenstein wrote:
PaulSacramento wrote:To me I never really cared either way about the shroud.
Same for me.
PaulSacramento wrote:There is no "muscular man" so I am not sure where that comment came from...
My brother-in-law has a life-size image of the Shroud. It shows a muscular man, more Mr Universe than Mr Everybody. Those who believe the Shroud to be genuine will say that Jesus was a carpenter, so he must have been muscular. I don't know. The only carpenters I've known have been pot-bellied...but - to be honest - I haven't met many carpenters...and carpenters in the first century didn't have pickup trucks, power tools and Miller Time.

The image's height is important. In a world of tall men being 5-foot-5 (1,65m) the ''Shroud Jesus'' would have towered over them. As far as I'm concerned, the Shroud is a fake because of the image's height, its musculature and its repeated dating to the Middle Ages.

But...why is this even important? why does a Shroud thread like this one get over 40,000+ visits?! That in itself is suspicious and leads me to believe that it is the Roman Catholic version of Tongues or YEC vs OEC.

FL :D
I really think that you may want to read some of this thread...those "issues" are answered quite well.
EX:
http://greatshroudofturinfaq.com/Scienc ... eight.html

A formal study "Computerized anthropometric analysis of the Man of the Turin Shroud," a series of tibio-femoral indices calculations by Giulio Fanti, Emanuela Marinelli and Alessandro Cagnazzo, to date, is the most comprehensive statistical analysis. It puts the height of the man (presumably Jesus) at between 5'8" and 5'9''.

A study by Isabel Piczek, a mural artist with significant expertise in human anatomy determined that the body was close to 6' tall. She wrote:

I have approached the question of height from the design point of view - an image which describes a 3D object and vice-versa, including the problem of foreshortening. I have also analyzed body type, muscle structure and proportion. I determined the height to be 5'11½" to 6'1", give or take 1" for linen stretch and shrinking, both of which are possible. Because of the body type, even with shrinkage, the man cannot be under 5'11½". I lean more towards 6'0". Whether Jews in Jesus's time were smaller or larger is not relevant here. Jews were not small to start with, judging by the finds in the 1st century cemetery excavated near the wall of the Temple in the sixties

What are the various studies for the height of the man on the Shroud?
One reason is that we don't know how flat the body is on the cloth, assuming the image is representative of the man's height. If the image is anatomically correct, as it seems to be, we can be certain that the knees are bent and the head tilted forward as though resting on a pillow.

Overlooked, often, is the certainty that cloth's size has been altered by stretching. It has been held aloft, nailed up for display, rolled up and folded. It has been exposed to sunshine and dampness. It was seared in a fire that was doused with water. During a restoration effort in 2002 it was stretched with weights and steamed to remove wrinkles. By some estimates the length of the cloth was increased by eight centimeters during the restoration.
Jac3510
Ultimate Member

Post by Jac3510 »

Kurieuo wrote:
Jac3510 wrote:

Pfft. What's wrong with amill?
Better than the millennial reign rapture ready mumbo jumbo.
:troll:
*insert giant wall of text of psuedointellectualjargon followed by smiley emoticons*

:pound:
Proinsias wrote:I don't think you are hearing me. Preference for ice cream is a moral issue
And that, brothers and sisters, is the kind of foolishness you get people who insist on denying biblical theism. A good illustration of any as the length people will go to avoid acknowledging basic truths.
Furstentum Liechtenstein
Ultimate Member
Sex: It's Complicated

Post by Furstentum Liechtenstein »

Ok, Okaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay!...because Jac and Paul the Canadian guy insist, I'll read the ''evidence'' on the Shroud.

Give me a couple of days. Do I need Gravol?

FL yp**==
Hold everything lightly. If you don't, it will hurt when God pries your fingers loose as He takes it from you. -Corrie Ten Boom

+ + +

If they had a social gospel in the days of the prodigal son, somebody would have given him a bed and a sandwich and he never would have gone home.

+ + +
Philip
Site Owner
Creation Position: Day-Age

Post by Philip »

Here's the thing, a burial shroud long in the hands of those claiming it to be the burial garment of Christ - and before the modern scientific era - just happens to have incredible attributes. An image that is not mere paint or dye, that has the blood of a person tortured, has the precise wounds described of Christ, has an image that cannot be replicated by natural means OR modern science, and that no one can figure out how it was created (other than a tremendous burst of sudden energy), shows no breaking apart of the blood (where the body touched the cloth), has THREE-DIMENSIONAL SPATIAL imagery - explain THAT!, has a astonishing negative image (that would have seemed meaningless to those of a pre-scientific/pre-photography audience) that when photographed produces an incredible positive image.

Not only would it have been impossible for those of a pre-scientific age to have produced such a sophisticated thing - one STILL not replicable by modern scientist or technology - but one must ask why - WHY, when so many faked relics, "hairs of Christ," pieces of wood from the cross, a simple blood stained garment, would have easily fooled those of a pre-scientific era - people who would have had no way of discerning the truth or falsity of the claim - why would anyone have gone to such incredible lengths, to create such amazing details, and how on earth could this have even been accomplished in a pre-scientific era? A team of scholars, each of substantial expertise in relevant fields have LONG been studying, scanning and testing this artifact for a very long time. They are all completely baffled and amazed. One of the team members - a former agnostic and Jewish - has now come to believe the Shroud is of God - although he's not yet a Christian. ALL this and it just happens to be an artifact long known to history, claimed to be of Jesus, that JUST HAPPENS to have so many remarkable and inexplicable attributes - and after such exhaustive study and testing these scholars and experts are still incredulous and cannot explain it. And FL wants to equate this with belief in aliens???!!!

I'll say this: I would expect the burial shroud of Jesus to likely have astonishing, incredible attributes - as are so many other things connected to Him. And is that not what we see with the Shroud - something amazing and inexplicable? And IF it had been an amazingly sophisticated fake, one of incredible detail - wouldn't one expect that the many astonishing aspects that CAN been seen would have been promoted by its originators? And yet until it was first photographed, the details of it were almost totally unknown. And isn't it strange how many atheists are obsessed with trying to debunk it - so much so that they consistently publish and blog easily refutable lies that have been repeatedly shown to be false disinformation.

Lastly (first!), I started out believing the popular buzz about the Shroud - that it was a simple fake revered by Catholics. In fact, my first encounter with Bippy was one of rancor and unpleasantness. But his dedication and diligence in showing the scholarship and research showed me just how wrong I was to so easily dismiss it. Currently I believe it to be the REAL deal. After all of this time, the Resurrection is looking like the best explanation for its otherwise inexplicable aspects. P.S. I do not believe in aliens! :wave:
Jac3510
Ultimate Member

Post by Jac3510 »

You know what I think would help? (Do you care? Probably not, but I'm going to offer my thoughts anyway!) As this thread is ovr 60 pages now--60 PAGES!!!--it would be nice if someone could sort of offer a summary of the evidence with a list of links that still work. Any takers? It'd be a shame to let such valuable conversation go to waste.
Furstentum Liechtenstein
Ultimate Member

Furstentum Liechtenstein wrote:Ok, Okaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay!...because Jac and Paul the Canadian guy insist, I'll read the ''evidence'' on the Shroud.

Give me a couple of days. Do I need Gravol?

FL yp**==
I'm going to need more than a couple of days. I've been at this for over two hours and only have reached page 5.
Jac3510 wrote:You know what I think would help? (Do you care? Probably not, but I'm going to offer my thoughts anyway!) As this thread is ovr 60 pages now--60 PAGES!!!--it would be nice if someone could sort of offer a summary of the evidence with a list of links that still work. Any takers? It'd be a shame to let such valuable conversation go to waste.
YES!

FL :clap:
Hold everything lightly. If you don't, it will hurt when God pries your fingers loose as He takes it from you. -Corrie Ten Boom

+ + +

If they had a social gospel in the days of the prodigal son, somebody would have given him a bed and a sandwich and he never would have gone home.

+ + +
Philip
Site Owner

Post by Philip »

You know what I think would help? (Do you care? Probably not, but I'm going to offer my thoughts anyway!) As this thread is ovr 60 pages now--60 PAGES!!!--it would be nice if someone could sort of offer a summary of the evidence with a list of links that still work. Any takers? It'd be a shame to let such valuable conversation go to waste.
I've mentioned this to dear Bippy before, but I'm sure he's far too busy - a formidable task! BTW, anyone know how he's doing - I need to PM him.
Furstentum Liechtenstein
Ultimate Member

bippy123 wrote: In 1992 while taking photomicrographs of the 1978 Max Frei samples at the Holy Shroud Guild at Esopus, NY, photos from the arm area showed individual image fibers had very sharp boundaries at their ends across the 15-micron diameter of the fibers. At 200x magnification it is seen that these picture elements, or pixels, are very uniformly darkened about 30% over the natural color of the non-imaged fiber. At the boundary between image pixel and clear fiber, there is a sharp change. There is no gradual edge as expected from a shadow mask or external light source. It is suggested that the image was formed when a high-energy particle struck the fiber and released radiation within the fiber at a speed greater that the local speed of light. Since the fiber acts as a light pipe, this energy moved out through the fiber until it encountered an optical discountinuity, then it slowed to the local speed of light and dispersed Ok can anyone explain this part to me?
I've only read to page 6 so far. The above quote is from Bippy's post on page 5. There is also a youtube video Bippy posted on page 4 where a woman with a Ph.D. speaks about event horizons... all this sounds Star Trek-ish to me.

It seems that no one answered Bippy's question, ''Ok can anyone explain this part to me?'' above.

I also have the same question. Any takers? Dr Hana?

FL :scratch:

+ + +

+ + +
1over137
Technical Admin
Sex: Female
Creation Position: Undecided

Post by 1over137 »

bippy123 wrote: In 1992 while taking photomicrographs of the 1978 Max Frei samples at the Holy Shroud Guild at Esopus, NY, photos from the arm area showed individual image fibers had very sharp boundaries at their ends across the 15-micron diameter of the fibers. At 200x magnification it is seen that these picture elements, or pixels, are very uniformly darkened about 30% over the natural color of the non-imaged fiber. At the boundary between image pixel and clear fiber, there is a sharp change. There is no gradual edge as expected from a shadow mask or external light source. It is suggested that the image was formed when a high-energy particle struck the fiber and released radiation within the fiber at a speed greater that the local speed of light. Since the fiber acts as a light pipe, this energy moved out through the fiber until it encountered an optical discountinuity, then it slowed to the local speed of light and dispersed Ok can anyone explain this part to me?
I've only read to page 6 so far. The above quote is from Bippy's post on page 5. There is also a youtube video Bippy posted on page 4 where a woman with a Ph.D. speaks about event horizons... all this sounds Star Trek-ish to me.

It seems that no one answered Bippy's question, ''Ok can anyone explain this part to me?'' above.

I also have the same question. Any takers? Dr Hana?

The speed of light in material is lower than the speed of light in vacuum. Until it hit the material the speed was greater.
My guess. Maybe I need to look at light moving in fibers.
But examine everything carefully; hold fast to that which is good.
-- 1 Thessalonians 5:21

For I am confident of this very thing, that He who began a good work in you will perfect it until the day of Christ Jesus.
-- Philippians 1:6

#foreverinmyheart
Furstentum Liechtenstein
Ultimate Member

1over137 wrote:The speed of light in material is lower than the speed of light in vacuum. Until it hit the material the speed was greater.
OK, Thank you Dr. I had assumed that the sentence said that ''light was travelling faster than c, then slowed down as it entered the fiber, then dispersed.''

Now, in the large print below, where did these high-energy particles come from?
1over137 wrote:It is suggested that the image was formed when a high-energy particle struck the fiber and released radiation within the fiber at a speed greater that the local speed of light. Since the fiber acts as a light pipe, this energy moved out through the fiber until it encountered an optical discountinuity, then it slowed to the local speed of light and dispersed
And this odd youtube clip which may explain the above; what do you make of it?
bippy123 wrote:Ok guys this is a small but very important clip from the dvd the fabric of time and it talks aboutthe impossibility of no distortion on the image, and how its impossible for that to happen if The body of Jesus was lying on the tomb below his body. His body had to have been floating above the rock below him in between the shroud. Plus the image itself shows that the muscles of the body image shows that they werent crushed against the tomb . How could this be unless Jesus was floating in between the top and bottom of the shroud. Fascinating video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oRmCaindCpg

+ + +

+ + +
bippy123
Prestigious Senior Member

Post by bippy123 »

Philip wrote:The Mail does have a lot of tabloid stuff - but it does occasionally link to some interesting articles that it did not originate. The person in question is making some strong claims about the Shroud that are likely easy to refute - which is why this forum topic is so important. Usually what what we see about the Shroud in the press are things that Bip has already redundantly debunked.
The Shroud is akin to the Golden Calfs...

When do we get to dance around it?

FL y:-?
So you equate the golden calf with the burial shroud of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ?
Maybe we should tell this to former agnostic Mark Antonacci, former agnostic Ian willson, former atheist Physicist Bryan Miller who are all now evangelical Christians. Not because they worship the Shroud but because Christ had a particular journey that brought them to him. I doubt any Golden calf could do this.

Plus Barrie Schwortz who in this video explained to an all evangelical Christian audience why the shroud isn't a graven image.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N0N9cMUQrZI

I doubt that these Christians worship the shroud but they still understand the importance of it.
bippy123

Post by bippy123 »

Philip wrote:So just what is THAT supposed to mean???!!!
It means that the Shroud is nothing more than a religious icon. It is a genuine religious icon but is no more a portrait of Jesus than Eastern Orthodox iconography accurately portray the various saints. Moreover, the Shroud doesn't square with Isaiah's revelation of Jesus being a physically nondescript man, not to mention that the Shroud is usually dated to the Middle Ages.

People willingly believe in all manner of foolishness: the Loch Ness & other submarine monsters, sasquatch, the Bermuda Triangle, palmistry, horoscope, flying saucers piloted by little green men. The list is endless!
Philip wrote:And there are many important reasons to consider it may likely be authentic.
Yeah, right. There is a rack full of magazines at a newstand near my place devoted to horoscope. Maybe I'm wrong about astrology as well...
Philip wrote:...making comments like that makes you come off like the idiots on so many atheist forums - as they are constantly striving to be seen as cynically clever and funny, with relentless sarcasm over just about every topic related to Christianity - and often concerning topics that they are woefully ignorant about.
If I were not a Christian, I would say that atheist forums are for dummies. Since I am a Christian, I'll say that the atheist forums I've visited are filled with filthy talk, bad spelling and poor grammar. People who don't seem to have much education congregate there.

I think there is a type of personality that needs mystery or magic...I don't understand why. Both unbelievers and those who believe in God can be prone to such unsubstantiated beliefs.

So...listen, if you want to believe that the Shroud is the real thing, go ahead. As for me, the Shroud is in the same category as Tongues, being slain in the Spirit, KJV Onlyism and so on.

FL :D
Furstentum, its obvious that you either haven't studied the shroud at all or you have chosen to ignore all the evidence that's been presented on this forum and other forums like Stephen Jones forum.
Stephen is not only not Catholic but hes a Calvinist and he believes that the shroud is authentic.

Now if you have an emotional problem with the shroud's authenticity then why not say it. No one is forcing you to believe in it but at the same time to ignore all the evidences that point to its authenticity isn't very realistic. If the shroud is the real McCoy, wishing it not to be isn't going to change that.

You also claimed that the shroud is usually dated to the middle ages. This usually comes from atheists who want to ignore the massive amounts of evidences against a middle age date.

The only evidence that gioves it a medieval date is the 1988 c14 test which has been invalidated by AGNOSTIC thermal chemist ray rogers in his peer reviewed chemical analysis thermochimica acta in which rogers clearly found cotton interwoven with regular shroud material as well as madder dye. Rogers took sticky tape samples from all the other areas of the shroud including the image areas and found no cotton or madder dye. He also did a vanillin test that dated the shroud to between 1300 and 3000 years old.

http://www.shroud.it/ROGERS-3.PDF

and I found out recently from digging around that Ray rogers work was confirmed by 9 other scientists including microscopist John L Brown formerly of Georgia tech who Rogers sent some of his samples to to confirm his findings

http://www.shroud.com/pdfs/brown1.pdf

and you also have the head of the oxford lab from the 1988 c14 dating Christopher Ramsey saying this.

http://www.innoval.com/C14/
There is a lot of other evidence that suggests to many that the shroud is older than the radiocarbon dates allow, and so further research is certainly needed. Only by doing this will people be able to arrive at a coherent history of the shroud which takes into account and explains all of the available scientific and historical information. –Christopher Ramsey, head of the Oxford Radiocarbon Accelerator Unit which participated in the 1988 Carbon 14 Dating of the Shroud. (Mar 2008)
and the scientists at los Alamos labs also confirmed Rogers findings
[T]he [1988 carbon 14] age-dating process failed to recognize one of the first rules of analytical chemistry that any sample taken for characterization of an area or population must necessarily be representative of the whole. The part must be representative of the whole. Our analyses of the three thread samples taken from the Raes and C-14 sampling corner showed that this was not the case. –Robert Villarreal, Los Alamos National Laboratory (LANL) chemist who headed a team of nine scientists at LANL who examined material from the carbon 14 sampling region. (Aug 2008
Then you have to deal with the Hungarian pray codex of 1190 that is most likely copied from an even earlier original from 70 to 100 years earlier which clearly shows the L shaped poker holes, the 3way herringbone weave and the unique folding of Christs arms just as the shroud does.

http://theshroudofturin.blogspot.com/20 ... cript.html

Then you have to deal with the sudarium of oveido .

when Overlaid on top of the head image of the shroud the sudarium has a total of 125 congruent matching points in the blood stains with the shroud which clearly shows us that the sudarium and shroud were on the same body within close time intervals , which also then means that the shroud is at least as old as the shroud, and the history of the sudarium is undisputed by any historians and it dates back to 614ad where it was said to be hidden in the cave of saint mark.

https://www.shroud.com/guscin.htm

Next we have the Christ pantocrator of the early 6th century

maybe u can describe to me how the Christ pantocrator of 526ad has about 250 congruent matching points with the shroud? This cant rationally be called a coincidence, and you cant say that the shroud was copied later from the Christ pantocrator because the shroud is the only one that matches different aspects of the Christ pantocrator and other moasaics and roman coins of the 7th and 8th centuries that had Christ depicted on them.

https://www.shroud.com/bsts4704.htm
The better Byzantine coins showing the head of Jesus have between 140 and 185 points of congruence, and the best icon, the Christ Pantocrator from St. Catherine's Monastery , has about 250 points of congruence. Again we have done control studies with both actual faces and various unrelated art works, and found from about 10 to 35 points of congruence to be typical, which is statistically and forensically insignificant.
so again 10 to 35 is the norma and insignificant yet these icons here have way too many matches with the shroud to just be dismissed away.

Then you have the mandylion which if it shown to be the shroud takes us all the way back to the time of Christ and attributed to Christ himself.
But is there any evidence that says the mandylion is in fact the shroud?

http://theshroudofturin.blogspot.com/20 ... turin.html
The mandylion's folding pattern is described as a tetradiplon which means doubled 4 times and no where is tetradiplon used in all of ancient koine greek literature but to describe the mandylion.
In 1978 Physicist John Jackson through his light raking experiment fold major fold lines that correspond to the tetradiplon folding pattern used to describe the mandylion. This is strong evidence that the mandylion is in fact the shroud of turin.

If you want to try to explain away all of this please be my guess. Now if you want to say based on your emotional feelings that you don't feel its authentic then that is certainly your free will choice, but there is almost no evidence that it is from the medieval ages or that its a forgery. No 21st century scientist can replicate it. This is a fact
bippy123

Post by bippy123 »

RickD wrote:I think K and Byblos hit the nail on the head. After what I've read on this thread, with kudos to Bippy and others, I can't see anything that has shown it is not authentic.

But other than that, it's nothing to hang our faith upon.

If it leads someone to Christ, that's great.
and this is how it should be looked Rick. People like antonacci originally tried to debunk the shroud and it lead them to start reading scripture and he became a Christian.