Is the story of the Talking Donkey reliable?

Are you a sincere seeker who has questions about Christianity, or a Christian with doubts about your faith? Post them here to receive a thoughtful response.
Ark~Magic
Established Member

Is the story of the Talking Donkey reliable?

Post by Ark~Magic »

I had this question in my head for a while.

Can we really trust the tale of Balaam and his Talking Ass? (Ace Ventura wasn't the first to have one!)
ray
Recognized Member

reliabiltiy

Post by ray »

The question you are asking is not 'is this story reliable', but is the Bible reliable. Did God create everything from nothing? Did Moses see a bush burning but not being consumed? Did Jesus walk on the water? Was Jesus raised from the dead? Did Elijah go to heaven in a fiery chariot? Did Elisha make an axe head float? If you start choosing which parts to believe you do not believe. All of those accounts, and many more, seem improbable to the mind, but they did happen. If God can perform all those miracles, surely He could put words into the mouth of an ass.

Ray
Believer
Advanced Senior Member
Christian: No

Post by Believer »

Yes, I second what ray says. My brother while out in the wilderness had a deer come up to him out of nowhere and it started talking to him audibly, however the downfall is the deer was under satanic power in which of what my brother told me is that when the end comes, satan will reign over the world and will beat Jesus this time, not the other way around as it was in the beginning. Keep in mind, my brother does not favor the Trinity at all or anything related to it such as the Bible. He is into the evilness and wickedness.

Surely God and satan can do such things!
stixandstones
Acquainted Member

Post by stixandstones »

keep in mind everything is open to interpretation. I'll use a specific example that I have in memory. I have not a bible to quote accurately but I think the idea will get across. In revelations, there is talk of giant locusts Killing the marked or something like that. The wording is not important as my point is in the image of the locust.

To save argument, lets believe that the end is near, and if it is it is likely the killing will be done by our machines of war. Lets say for the sake of argument revelations was truly a prophecy and a vision in that era would not understand our world today. And even if the visioner understood, it could not be explained to the people; if his vision was such... What if the locust seen were Apache War Helicopters? How would you describe an Apache if you have never seen one nor knew what it was when before your eyes?

North American Aboriginals describe the Steam Locomotive as being an "Iron Horse". Perhaps the bible too describes things as perseived and not as is. it's all open to inturpretaion
Matthew_O
Familiar Member

Post by Matthew_O »

Your brother had a deer come and talk to him?
?
Was your brother on meth?

Matt
Believer
Advanced Senior Member
Christian: No

Post by Believer »

Matthew_O wrote:Your brother had a deer come and talk to him?
?
Was your brother on meth?

Matt
No, my brother isn't on anything. Why, you don't believe in supernatural things existing? He knows it's real because he experienced it first hand, but because of his rejection, it seems, to God, he doesn't like me bringing the topic up about the supernatural and his experience. He is like an agnostic or atheist. And DO NOT make assumptions on my brother!!!