sex change a sin?

Discussion for Christian perspectives on ethical issues such as abortion, euthanasia, sexuality, and so forth.
Prodigal Son
Christian: No

sex change a sin?

Post by Prodigal Son »

is undergoing a sex change wrong? many transexuals claim that they are "in the wrong bodies". would it be sinful to become the opposite sex?
New Creation
2 Corinthians 5:7
Ark~Magic
Established Member

RE:

Post by Ark~Magic »

I think it is ruining what you were naturally supposed to be. They're in the wrong mindset, if anything.

Most of them have identity problems. It's usually something they develop when they're younger.
Prodigal Son

Post by Prodigal Son »

isn't almost everything we do ruining what we were actually supposed to be. not exercising is ruining what we were actually supposed to be. is not exercising a sin?
New Creation
2 Corinthians 5:7
Deborah

Post by Deborah »

Deuteronomy 22:5
5 A woman must not wear men's clothing, nor a man wear women's clothing, for the LORD your God detests anyone who does this.

Deuteronomy 23

1 No one who has been emasculated by crushing or cutting may enter the assembly of the LORD.
Church tradition tells us that when John, son of Zebadee and brother of James was an old man, his disciples would carry him to church in their arms.
He would simply say, “Little children, love one another”
After a time his disciples wearied at always hearing these same words and asked “Master why do you always say this?
He replied, “it is the Lords command, and if done, it is enough”
ochotseat

Post by ochotseat »

They're sick people who need to undergo psychoanalyses rather than sex changes.
XenonII
Established Member

Re: sex change a sin?

Post by XenonII »

Prodigal Son wrote:is undergoing a sex change wrong? many transexuals claim that they are "in the wrong bodies". would it be sinful to become the opposite sex?
I agree with Ark Magic. These people are basically standing defiantly in front of God and arrogantly professing to know a "better" plan for their lives than he does! It's gender identity disorder and they need to go see a shrink. (PS this shouldnt be confused with homosexuality, homosexuals arent confused about the gender they are just the gender they are supposed to be attracted to). :x
Kurieuo
Honored Member
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Progressive Creationist

Post by Kurieuo »

To put a spin on things...

I was watching a documentary on a case where a man had undergone a sex change, and actually married a woman further down the track I believe within the US where same-sex marriages aren't legal. It was taken to court, and evidence was presented that although the "man" was born with male genitals, according to new research his brain was actually female functioning as a woman's. Therefore the person was actually a female with brain functionality, although male in genitalia. They ended up winning the case, and although I don't claim to know the truth of the research, this certainly raises an interesting possibility.

For example, hermaphrodites who possess the genitalia of both sexes possess an abnormal human deformity. By the same token, it stands to reason that a person could have the genitalia of one sex, while possessing the brain chemistry or what-have-you of the opposite sex which is also due to an abnormal deformity. Please bear in mind that I am not saying this justifies "all" people who feel the need to get sex changes to having one. Rather, I believe those people who within which this physical anomaly exists would be entirely justified. I guess if anything this goes to show there are so many factors that influence a person to behave in a certain way that we should really leave judgement of such people in God's hands.

Kurieuo.
"Whoever will call on the name of the Lord will be saved." (Romans 10:13)
Believer
Advanced Senior Member

Post by Believer »

I also think these problems are created within the mothers womb when she doesn't take care of herself during pregnancy like consuming much alcohol, smoking, street drugs, this will most definitely screw with the growth process.
ochotseat

Post by ochotseat »

Kurieuo wrote: By the same token, it stands to reason that a person could have the genitalia of one sex, while possessing the brain chemistry or what-have-you of the opposite sex which is also due to an abnormal deformity.
Kurieuo.
If their brains are that disturbed, they probably don't know what's best for them anyway.
under_milk_wood
Acquainted Member

Post by under_milk_wood »

http://serendip.brynmawr.edu/bb/neuro/n ... stro3.html

Yes, it is possible for someone to be born with the external, physical appearance of one sex, but to have the brain chemistry of the other - a male brain in a woman's body or vice versa.

I know, we aren't rats, but the similarities between all mammals at a biochemical level are huge. And what human would consent to this type of experiment?

So, why should it be so sinful for someone who knows they are in the wrong body to have corrective surgery?

And yes, believer, mothers not taking care of themselves during pregnancy will almost certainly screw up the baby's development. But transsexuals aren't necessarily screwed up, nor is there any demonstrated link between transsexualism and having a mother that took drugs/drank alcohol/smoked during pregnancy.
Grace isn't enough...
Familiar Member

Post by Grace isn't enough... »

This is interesting because i have heard about the developing of a persons brain going one way, and their body going the other. However this needs to be reasearched much more before any of us can say without a doubt it is possible. it makes some sense howevr because while God may want us to stay true to what we are...who's to say we aren't by undergoing the chance? Who's to say it isn't just another birth defect? I mean babies are born everyday with mising limbs and/or organs. And while this is very sad, it still remains Gods plan non the less.

And as for the wearing of other genders clothes goes...where do you begin to draw that line? Simply withy clothes or the idea of wearing what the other gender would wear? In that case make-up would constitute as detestable for a man to wear, and yet there are tons of male actors who wear make-up all the time. You may this way of thinking legalistic but i just think its nonsensical to only look at the blatant sex changes when so many things are passing ud by unsaid...and that my friend is where i think the devil is truly winning, through our compromises.
I found that by being an annoying person you're less annoyed by people.