the cross

Discussion about scientific issues as they relate to God and Christianity including archaeology, origins of life, the universe, intelligent design, evolution, etc.
lynn
Newbie Member
Christian: No

the cross

Post by lynn »

I'm new to this forum. Anyone ever contemplated why the cross was chosen for Jesus' death? The cross was not what was used for sacrifices. Any thoughts?
August
Old School
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Day-Age

Re: the cross

Post by August »

lynn wrote:I'm new to this forum. Anyone ever contemplated why the cross was chosen for Jesus' death? The cross was not what was used for sacrifices. Any thoughts?
Hi, welcome to the board.

Any source for this information? Archeological information seems to indicate crucifixion was done at the time.

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontline ... ixion.html
Acts 17:24-25 (NIV)
"The God who made the world and everything in it is the Lord of heaven and earth and does not live in temples built by hands. [25] And he is not served by human hands, as if he needed anything, because he himself gives all men life and breath and everything else."

//www.omnipotentgrace.org
//christianskepticism.blogspot.com
lynn
Newbie Member

Post by lynn »

thanks for your response. i understand that crucifixion was used, my question tonight is WHY crucifixion was the chosen means for for Jesus' death. He was sacrificed for our sins. the cross was not the typical "altar" for sacrifices. i'm just wondering about the meaning of the cross.
AttentionKMartShoppers
Ultimate Member

Post by AttentionKMartShoppers »

lynn wrote:thanks for your response. i understand that crucifixion was used, my question tonight is WHY crucifixion was the chosen means for for Jesus' death. He was sacrificed for our sins. the cross was not the typical "altar" for sacrifices. i'm just wondering about the meaning of the cross.
The most excruciating method of death known to man at the time.
"My actions prove that God takes care of idiots."

He occasionally stumbled over the truth, but hastily picked himself up and hurried on as if nothing had happened.
- On Stanley Baldwin

-Winston Churchill

An atheist can't find God for the same reason a criminal can't find a police officer.

You need to start asking out girls so that you can get used to the rejections.
-Anonymous
August
Old School
Creation Position: Day-Age

Post by August »

Ah, ok, sorry for the misunderstanding.

I think we should be careful not to confuse the method of sacrifice that Jesus made on the cross for us and the ritual animal sacrifices made according to OT laws, with the reason for the sacrifice. Those who crucified Jesus viewed crucifixion as an accursed and shameful way to die, and offered no hope of a resurrection. Because Jesus had to die for all sins, it included the worst of all sins, and as such He died as criminals of the lowest sort would die, to symbolize that his sacrifice was truly for every sinner, as opposed to OT animal sacrifice which represented individual people.
Acts 17:24-25 (NIV)
"The God who made the world and everything in it is the Lord of heaven and earth and does not live in temples built by hands. [25] And he is not served by human hands, as if he needed anything, because he himself gives all men life and breath and everything else."

//www.omnipotentgrace.org
//christianskepticism.blogspot.com
newmoon2112
Newbie Member

Re: the cross

Post by newmoon2112 »

lynn wrote:I'm new to this forum. Anyone ever contemplated why the cross was chosen for Jesus' death? The cross was not what was used for sacrifices. Any thoughts?
I believe that the cross was used because in that time,crucifixion was the governments choice of punishment or death.Remember,Jesus wasn't alone on that hill.There were two other men on crosses too.If Jesus was around today,he would probably been shot,beheaded,or given the chair.Asking this question to me is like asking,"Why did everyone wear sandals?"Well,that was the fashion of the times,as was the cross in everyday government punishments.
lynn
Newbie Member

the cross

Post by lynn »

That's a thought. However, I think that God is much more specific in his actions than that.
Kurieuo
Honored Member
Creation Position: Progressive Creationist

Post by Kurieuo »

Maybe to be more closely related to the prophecy in Psalm 22? What are your own ideas?

Kurieuo
"Whoever will call on the name of the Lord will be saved." (Romans 10:13)
Fortigurn
Esteemed Senior Member

Post by Fortigurn »

lynn wrote:thanks for your response. i understand that crucifixion was used, my question tonight is WHY crucifixion was the chosen means for for Jesus' death. He was sacrificed for our sins. the cross was not the typical "altar" for sacrifices. i'm just wondering about the meaning of the cross.
Christ's death was not a normative sacrifice. It was not conducted in any way according to the rituals of the Mosaic Law, and it was not a sacrifice in the sense of being an offering by men to appease an angry God. No such sacrifice ever occurs in Scripture.