Microevolution, thoughts

Discussions on a ranges of philosophical issues including the nature of truth and reality, personal identity, mind-body theories, epistemology, justification of beliefs, argumentation and logic, philosophy of religion, free will and determinism, etc.
numeral2_5
Established Member
Christian: No

Microevolution, thoughts

Post by numeral2_5 »

Do christians generally believe in microevolution?
Ark~Magic
Established Member

RE:

Post by Ark~Magic »

I think so, I definately do. There's some good christian sites regarding this (read the links I sent you in your Private Messages, if you haven't already.)
"And I shall slay them who partake of futurism, for in the preterist light there will be everlasting salvation, truth, and peace." ~ Faust
numeral2_5
Established Member

Post by numeral2_5 »

Where do I access these private messages?
Ark~Magic
Established Member

RE:

Post by Ark~Magic »

Uh, up where it says "You have 1 messages". Don't ever forget to look at that.
"And I shall slay them who partake of futurism, for in the preterist light there will be everlasting salvation, truth, and peace." ~ Faust
ray
Recognized Member

microevolution

Post by ray »

What is microevolution?

Ray
SUGAAAAA
Established Member

Post by SUGAAAAA »

From what I understand, micro is evolution in animals that includes mutations and natural selection, and what-not. Macro deals with actual changes in species.

There is an article on this site, with a more in depth explanation.

http://evidence.info/evolution/evolution.html
Zenith
Established Member

Post by Zenith »

microevolution is evolution. what a lot of creationists fail to consider is that, over a long period of time, small changes add up to big changes. the theory of evolution theorizes that small changes occur due to mostly gene differentiation and partly gene mutation, and the organism's probability of survival based on their environment. over thousands or millions of years, these small changes add up. the rate of change depends on how long it takes for the organism to reach sexual maturity and reproduce (if it ever does). evolution in bacteria can be seen right before your eyes because they reproduce constantly, but it takes hundreds of thousands of years for organisms like hominids to evolve, because our lifespan is so drawn out.

another thing, why is the theory of evolution seen as an atheist view? i find it extremely possible and quite probable that god does not take an active role in the progression of the universe, and that he keeps track of things through the 'laws' that science is currently discovering. woulnd't an omnipotent being be able to do this? and wouldn't an omnipotent being be more likely to create a self-sustaining (or at least partly self-sustaining) universe? the way i see it, no science lessens the power of god, in fact i would venture to say that all science reveals how intricate and perfect the universe has been made.
August
Old School
Christian: Yes
Sex: Male
Creation Position: Day-Age

Post by August »

Zenith wrote:another thing, why is the theory of evolution seen as an atheist view? i find it extremely possible and quite probable that god does not take an active role in the progression of the universe, and that he keeps track of things through the 'laws' that science is currently discovering. woulnd't an omnipotent being be able to do this? and wouldn't an omnipotent being be more likely to create a self-sustaining (or at least partly self-sustaining) universe? the way i see it, no science lessens the power of god, in fact i would venture to say that all science reveals how intricate and perfect the universe has been made.
It is seen as an atheist view because of the exact reasons that you stated, it removes a theistic God and installs a deistic god. Why do some of the major biology texts, and some articles written by evolutionists, in science magazines and journals state that evolution removes the need for God, if it was so obvious that the two are compatible?
Acts 17:24-25 (NIV)
"The God who made the world and everything in it is the Lord of heaven and earth and does not live in temples built by hands. [25] And he is not served by human hands, as if he needed anything, because he himself gives all men life and breath and everything else."

//www.omnipotentgrace.org
//christianskepticism.blogspot.com
Mystical
Valued Member

Post by Mystical »

Zenith: No matter how much time you have, you cannot make a single-celled organism become a fish or a fish become an amphibian, or a mammal, or an ape become a person, or a dinosaur become a bird. That is macroevolution.

There is no proof for macroevolution.

There is proof for microevolution--small changes. Small changes that never become big enough to make anything something else.
BGoodForGoodSake
Ultimate Member

Post by BGoodForGoodSake »

Mystical wrote:Zenith: No matter how much time you have, you cannot make a single-celled organism become a fish or a fish become an amphibian, or a mammal, or an ape become a person, or a dinosaur become a bird. That is macroevolution.

There is no proof for macroevolution.

There is proof for microevolution--small changes. Small changes that never become big enough to make anything something else.
Will microevolution allow this?

Flying squirrelImage

Grey SquirrelImage
It is not length of life, but depth of life. -- Ralph Waldo Emerson
Mystical
Valued Member

Post by Mystical »

That's a cool question. My first answer would be no because the flying squirrel is not a subspecies of the grey squirrel. I am going to research this and I will let you know if I change my mind.
August
Old School

Post by August »

BGoodForGoodSake wrote: Will microevolution allow this?

Flying squirrelImage

Grey SquirrelImage
Can God create that?
"The God who made the world and everything in it is the Lord of heaven and earth and does not live in temples built by hands. [25] And he is not served by human hands, as if he needed anything, because he himself gives all men life and breath and everything else."

BGoodForGoodSake
Ultimate Member

August wrote:
BGoodForGoodSake wrote: Will microevolution allow this?

Can God create that?
Of course!
=)

But microevolution has been shown to be true, this could possibly fall under microevolution.
August
Old School

Post by August »

LOL

We are chasing each other around like those grey squirrels do in spring.

BGoodForGoodSake
Ultimate Member

August wrote:LOL

We are chasing each other around like those grey squirrels do in spring.
=)